VIZIO INTERNET APPS (VIA) Enabled LCD's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 737 Old 03-02-2010, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Netflix and Amazon don't output Dolby Digital 5.1, only VUDU.

Saturday afternoon I tried to preview the HDX quality and it kept buffering so we ended up watching at the HD quality. It stopped to buffer twice during the movie. The second time, when my kids starting to complain, I had a big talk with them about how far we have come in the last 20 years with PCs the Internet and music and video. How there is a ton of information streaming over the internet to watch a movie. I remember seeing the first sample .AVI (I think it was called WINDSURF.AVI) for the first time playing on Window 3.1 and thought the postage-sized-grainy-choppy-video was the coolest thing ever. Now we expect to be able to stream full 1080p Video and Dolby 5.1 surround over the Internet. I love technology.

This morning after the new Firmware update I noticed that when I run the Speed test in the Internet setup, I get significantly better results. I dare say 10x improvement (~10MB/s). I previewed parts of a few HDX movies on VUDU without a hiccup. The only true test would be to watch a full movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 737 Old 03-02-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiCE View Post

Netflix and Amazon don't output Dolby Digital 5.1, only VUDU.

Here is from the Vizio audio help page on Amazon. Note that is says "Dolby Digital". Here is a link to the page that hopefully works (or search on "Video On Demand on Vizio" at Amazon): http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...1&sr=1-3#audio

Not hearing 5.1 audio?
There are several steps that you should take to troubleshoot 5.1 audio:

Ensure that the video title you are selecting is capable of 5.1 audio.
Check your bandwidth to ensure you are getting the HD + 5.1 audio stream.
Be sure that your receiver is Dolby Digital-capable and that it is set to Dolby Digital mode and not pro-logic.
Verify that your Vizio device is in 5.1 mode.
If you've tried these steps and are still having trouble with the audio, try a different audio source with your Dolby Digital capable receiver. If it works, disconnect your Vizio device and try to set it up again. If the other source does not work either, the issue may be speaker-related and you may want to contact the manufacturer.

If you have tried all of these steps and are still not getting 5.1 audio, please contact Amazon.com customer service and we will be happy to assist you.
post #93 of 737 Old 03-02-2010, 11:52 PM

I have always had my 552 paired with my Jabra BT620 stereo headset and the VUR10 remote. But I just tried my Logitech MX5000 Bluetooth keyboard and they paired without a hitch. Used it for searches in VUDU. I am a happy camper now.
post #94 of 737 Old 03-03-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post

Here is from the Vizio audio help page on Amazon. Note that is says "Dolby Digital". Here is a link to the page that hopefully works (or search on "Video On Demand on Vizio" at Amazon): [url].

I stand corrected, Amazon does offer 5.1 Surround on some movies and some versions available for downloading/streaming. However, trying to find an actual Movie (not TV show) on the Amazon website that claims 5.1 available for our Vizio TVs is quite challenging. The Amazon VIA app is much easier, and I easily found a few to try.

I previewed two different movies, "Hurt Locker" and "The Informant", that listed HD 5.1 on the VIA info screen, but to no avail. I still don't see Dolby Digital 5.1 on my AV receiver. Obviously I get 5.1 from my Cable box and DVD player, so I know what this should look like on my receiver. I have set both the Vizio TV and the Amazon App to Dolby Digital. I'll send a quick support request to Amazon and see what they say.
post #95 of 737 Old 03-03-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqqker View Post

According to Zane (support agent) at Vizio support, the 47in does have it's own firmware revision and is approx. 2 weeks behind the 55in firmware release. So I guess I'll look for an update around that time and see if Pandora is available then.

Well, it seems as if I was misinformed. I decided to unplug my TV last night for about 7-10mins and when I plugged it back in, the Vizio logo started flashing orange/white for about 30secs. So I turned the TV back on hoping to see something new in widgets or firmware and nothing. At that point I thought maybe it just talked back to Vizio and will get the update after the TV sits idle for a bit. When I woke up this morning and turned it on, the TV said it had a new firmware to install and now it's running VIZIO_B1.31.0_04 and now I'm jamming out to some Johnny Cash with Pandora finally. So it looks like maybe all three models 55,47,42 of the VIA sets are running the same firmware. I would need someone with a 42 to confirm that. I have the 47 and have seen a few of you with the 55's are running that version.
post #96 of 737 Old 03-03-2010, 06:03 PM

Just tried out Pandora internet radio and its absolutely awesome! Pretty much eliminates the need for sirius or xm radio in my house. For some reason I have never used pandora before now, but I am pretty impressed and it sounds great on my home theater. Anybody else use this much yet?
post #97 of 737 Old 03-03-2010, 06:51 PM
MKL

Quote:

Well, it seems as if I was misinformed. I decided to unplug my TV last night for about 7-10mins and when I plugged it back in, the Vizio logo started flashing orange/white for about 30secs. So I turned the TV back on hoping to see something new in widgets or firmware and nothing. At that point I thought maybe it just talked back to Vizio and will get the update after the TV sits idle for a bit. When I woke up this morning and turned it on, the TV said it had a new firmware to install and now it's running VIZIO_B1.31.0_04 and now I'm jamming out to some Johnny Cash with Pandora finally. So it looks like maybe all three models 55,47,42 of the VIA sets are running the same firmware. I would need someone with a 42 to confirm that. I have the 47 and have seen a few of you with the 55's are running that version.

I still believe they have different subversions of FW. 1.31.xxxx could be pointing at changes in the user interface and app list. Different panels have different internal characteristics so they must have different parameters (gamma, red, blue, etc)

The 55 is the flagship it's pretty logical they got taken care of first.
post #98 of 737 Old 03-04-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov_SVDS View Post

Just tried out Pandora internet radio and its absolutely awesome! Pretty much eliminates the need for sirius or xm radio in my house. For some reason I have never used pandora before now, but I am pretty impressed and it sounds great on my home theater. Anybody else use this much yet?

Pandora is great. can get a little repetitive if there is only one band and you listen a lot. Try mixing different bands from different genre's and you'll get a fun mix. Agree it sounds great on my stereo through the vizio.
post #99 of 737 Old 03-04-2010, 02:19 PM

Does the equalizer on the Vizio work well with Rhapsody? Anyone using the optical out from Vizio into external DAC like the Benchmark HDR, then poweramp? This would allow the Vizio to function as the musical source component for a high end audio system. Did the firmware updates do anything to improve rhapsody?"
post #100 of 737 Old 03-04-2010, 03:54 PM

Called CS to discuss a few sound issues, here's what I remember of the conversation.
TruVolume - The commercials blaring again since firmware update.
- Was told firmware didn't change sound, but CS didn't know what it "did" address specifically so as they say in sports...you make the call.
Anyone else notice a change after the update?

When will USB ports be enabled? I asked when the usb ports would be enabled and was told that engineering had delayed enabling the ports because they are working on some "advanced and exciting" functionality. The CS rep specifically mentioned usb keyboards. He also said they wanted to wait until they got the last survey in to prioritize future updates. So I guess time will tell.

Like everyone else I am looking forward to our "goodies" and am very happy to have Pandora radio (which I have listened to for years).
post #101 of 737 Old 03-05-2010, 10:04 AM

Hello all - I have the VIA 47" with the recent upgrade to Pandora / Facebook / crappy kiddie cartoon thing... anyhow, Switching resolution either through PS3 or DirecTV HD-DVR (Both HDMI connected) will cause the screen to turn very pink and no sound will emit. I am using the Vizio Soundbar with Wireless Sub (Digital Optical Cable connected).

I can resolve this by switching to and from inputs or power cycling the TV - but this should not be an issue... any testers of these units witness this before?

I purchased from Costco - so returns are not a HUGE deal... but really don't want to return it if this is a "known issue"... what do you all think?
post #102 of 737 Old 03-05-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisstorian View Post

Hello all - I have the VIA 47" with the recent upgrade to Pandora / Facebook / crappy kiddie cartoon thing... anyhow, Switching resolution either through PS3 or DirecTV HD-DVR (Both HDMI connected) will cause the screen to turn very pink and no sound will emit. I am using the Vizio Soundbar with Wireless Sub (Digital Optical Cable connected).

I can resolve this by switching to and from inputs or power cycling the TV - but this should not be an issue... any testers of these units witness this before?

I purchased from Costco - so returns are not a HUGE deal... but really don't want to return it if this is a "known issue"... what do you all think?

This is not an uncommon problem between a DirecTV HD DVR and any given HDTV, especially relatively new ones. It is referred to as an "hdmi handshake" issue. If you get on dbstalk.com and go to the DirecTV section on the HR series of DVRs, you can post the problem and sooner or later, it should get corrected.

...hasan, N0AN
post #103 of 737 Old 03-05-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasan View Post

This is not an uncommon problem between a DirecTV HD DVR and any given HDTV, especially relatively new ones. It is referred to as an "hdmi handshake" issue. If you get on dbstalk.com and go to the DirecTV section on the HR series of DVRs, you can post the problem and sooner or later, it should get corrected.

Hey - I appreciate knowing this is an "existing issue"... i searched a bit but couldn't determine that it is common for it to occur when changing resolutions on the PS3... as it is connected with hdmi, surely this is a handshake issue as well... Anywho I just found out today (late, I'm sure) that the new DirecTV HD Tivo's will be coming out this year... anyways if the handshake issue is common, then we'll go with that.

Thanks! (if anyone thinks there should be alarm to the issue occurring on a PS3, let me know).
post #104 of 737 Old 03-05-2010, 04:18 PM

I don't quickly remember the details but the cure for the directv "pink" problem is in the directv dvr HD menus where you can turn off the "native" pass through. That took care of it for me and no problems since then. Does not affect picture quality so it was a simple and harmless adjustment in my experience.
post #105 of 737 Old 03-05-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendjaz View Post

I don't quickly remember the details but the cure for the directv "pink" problem is in the directv dvr HD menus where you can turn off the "native" pass through. That took care of it for me and no problems since then. Does not affect picture quality so it was a simple and harmless adjustment in my experience.

Right on... I know just where that is... I'll give it a shot and post an update tonight / tomorrow. If it works, I'll see if there is a similar option in the PS3.
post #106 of 737 Old 03-05-2010, 11:26 PM

Hi I have a Vizio sv472xvt. I have an HDMI cable shooting straight out of my HR-23 in to my tv. When switching channels I will get a pinkish purple screen with no sound. I have tried 3 different HDMI cables and get the same result. I have also tried different HDMI ports with the same results. I think this is an HDMI handshake issue and need help trying to fix this. When I use component cables I do not have the problem. I want to use HDMI cables though. I need less clutter and the picture is noticeably different. I have seen a lot of posts about this on the internet. The Vizio is the newest model with on-board web aps. It was released on 2-15-10. I think the HR-23 needs a firmware update for the newer LCD's coming out so that it can make the handshake. Please let me know what I can do to fix this. The other thing is I bought this new tv from Costco so I returned it for the same model and guess what....it is happening again. I have also shot a couple pictures of the problem. I want to stay with Directv but if this does not get fixed I am going to have to go to cable....and I really do not want to do that.

If anybody on here can help it would be greatly apreciated.....
post #107 of 737 Old 03-06-2010, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My router allows MAC ID that I have set... Is there a way to determine the MAC ID of the tv's wifi...

&

Is there a CNBC (Business Channel) app. I saw this on a show that it would be available.
post #108 of 737 Old 03-06-2010, 09:40 AM

Liked: 11
Anyone having problems using the SynchTV app? My son has been watching a couple of the shows on it but they seem to stream in an odd screen placement. Screen is displaced about 5 inches to the right (black area in left hand gap) with some of the content off the screen on right as well. I typically have TV set on panoramic but have tried it in both normal and panoramic but no difference.

The app also causes the TV to 'crash' on occasion, literally locking up with no ability to switch inputs, get out of the app, etc., just simply locked on a blank screen or watching audio only with no video.
post #109 of 737 Old 03-06-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0230 View Post

My router allows MAC ID that I have set... Is there a way to determine the MAC ID of the tv's wifi...
&
Is there a CNBC (Business Channel) app. I saw this on a show that it would be available.

Click the VIA button on remote
Select Help
Select System Information
Scroll to near bottom of information you will find -RJ45 Mac- WLAN MAC - and below that Bluetooth Address

info as of 3/6/10
post #110 of 737 Old 03-06-2010, 01:09 PM

I bought a Vizio SV422XVT about a week ago; love it, but I don't seem to have the audio equalizer.

I've been through the menus countless times, and in the Audio menu there is no section for equalizer.

Did I get cheated or is this a firmware thing?
post #111 of 737 Old 03-06-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2506 View Post

I bought a Vizio SV422XVT about a week ago; love it, but I don't seem to have the audio equalizer.

I've been through the menus countless times, and in the Audio menu there is no section for equalizer.

Did I get cheated or is this a firmware thing?

You need to turn off the SRS Trusurround HD to get the equalizer to show. It is under Audio in the User Manual. Not sure which page on the 422.
post #112 of 737 Old 03-07-2010, 09:14 AM

Hi,
Thanks much for creating this thread! I bought my SV422XVT about two weeks ago (from Sam's Club online) and still have this version firmware:
VIZIO_B1.20.4_rc1

From what I've read, it sounds like I should be expecting my tv to automatically download the update either by shutting itself off & restarting on its own, or overnight while the tv is off.

I had no issues setting it up and currently have wireless (and have no issues with the wireless on my wii or laptop). I have unplugged the tv and back in again, and the next day, still no firmware update. I have watched movies using the Netflix app, and also use the Yahoo weather app with no problems.

I am impatiently waiting for USB functionality, Facebook, Pandora, and eventually, according to a Vizio phone Tech guy, Yahoo Email. (I know, that one is a long way off yet...)

Anyway, is there anything more I can do?
I love this tv and can't wait to get full functionality from it!
post #113 of 737 Old 03-07-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone else noticed the screen will sometimes flicker black?
post #114 of 737 Old 03-07-2010, 05:49 PM

yes, but very rarely and for me its a slight "dimming" of the picture for a split second. I thought it was my cheap router.
post #115 of 737 Old 03-07-2010, 10:30 PM

I had the same problem, my problem was resolved by unplugging for a few minutes and then plugged it back in. I then turned it on the next day and the TV said it had a firmware update. It looks like you may have tried this already, so I would contact the Vizio VIA support folks at (949)428-2536. If you give them your serial number they can check their database to see if your TV is at least communicating with their firmware server and force an update. Let us know what you end up doing to get it fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIA 42 View Post

Hi,
Thanks much for creating this thread! I bought my SV422XVT about two weeks ago (from Sam's Club online) and still have this version firmware:
VIZIO_B1.20.4_rc1

From what I've read, it sounds like I should be expecting my tv to automatically download the update either by shutting itself off & restarting on its own, or overnight while the tv is off.

I had no issues setting it up and currently have wireless (and have no issues with the wireless on my wii or laptop). I have unplugged the tv and back in again, and the next day, still no firmware update. I have watched movies using the Netflix app, and also use the Yahoo weather app with no problems.

I am impatiently waiting for USB functionality, Facebook, Pandora, and eventually, according to a Vizio phone Tech guy, Yahoo Email. (I know, that one is a long way off yet...)

Anyway, is there anything more I can do?
I love this tv and can't wait to get full functionality from it!

post #116 of 737 Old 03-08-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisstorian View Post

Right on... I know just where that is... I'll give it a shot and post an update tonight / tomorrow. If it works, I'll see if there is a similar option in the PS3.

Perfect! Changing the "Native" option to "Off" on the DirecTV HD-DVR eliminated the pink screen altogether! I still occasionally have the sound (Vision Soundbar w/ Wireless Sub) cut off when starting a PS3 game (and I too have experienced the same problems mentioned above with SyncTV... seems to be buggy still).

Thanks.
post #117 of 737 Old 03-08-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:

I had the same problem, my problem was resolved by unplugging for a few minutes and then plugged it back in. I then turned it on the next day and the TV said it had a firmware update. It looks like you may have tried this already, so I would contact the Vizio VIA support folks at (949)428-2536. If you give them your serial number they can check their database to see if your TV is at least communicating with their firmware server and force an update. Let us know what you end up doing to get it fixed.

Thanks, I'll let you know what happens!
post #118 of 737 Old 03-08-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0230 View Post

&

I know they have something for the iPhone, but I don't know of any plans for a Yahoo! widget. You may want to send them a note asking for it. You never know.
post #119 of 737 Old 03-08-2010, 04:04 PM

At this year's CES evidently Vizio demonstrated an iPhone app for controlling their XVT televisions...essentially replicating the remote. Anybody heard when this will be available?
post #120 of 737 Old 03-09-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Well, I was in contact with Tech Support and they said, no, they could not force an update and switched me to some other technical dept. (don't know which one)

I was told by the tech that even he had a VIA and couldn't get an update. He said they told him a week, but they had been saying that for about a month now. He did tell me that yes, an update was coming, and yes, some people have Pandora & Facebook, while others don't, but there was absolutely nothing he could do.

Needless to say, I didn't get a warm fuzzy. Its a shame, really. I just want what was advertised. Thank God the tv works great so far other than that.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page