Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 737 Old 04-06-2010, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoman View Post

How you do remove widgets from the dock that you don't use? Seems I can move it or delete it permanently. I don't want to delete it permanently, just get it off the dock.

They didn't word that very well, did they. delete permanetly means 'get it off my dock and stick it back in the gallery in case I change my mind and want to add it back later'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 737 Old 04-06-2010, 07:04 PM

Vizio took my idea about new widget notification and added it. The Showtime widget is now up, You can even watch some Showtime episodes and movie trailers!

I'm also getting my soundbar and blu-ray on Friday as well.
post #183 of 737 Old 04-07-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelucy View Post

Vizio took my idea about new widget notification and added it. The Showtime widget is now up, You can even watch some Showtime episodes and movie trailers!

I'm also getting my soundbar and blu-ray on Friday as well.

The Showtime widget has me confused. It says I can watch (some) Showtime shows without being a Showtime subscriber. Then it displays a bunch of TV shows and movies. Wow! But as far as I can tell all I can watch is a free episode of Nurse Jackie...and some movie trailers.

So what's the purpose? Just a teaser for what I could be watching on Showtime?
post #184 of 737 Old 04-07-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:

The Showtime widget has me confused. It says I can watch (some) Showtime shows without being a Showtime subscriber. Then it displays a bunch of TV shows and movies. Wow! But as far as I can tell all I can watch is a free episode of Nurse Jackie...and some movie trailers.

So what's the purpose? Just a teaser for what I could be watching on Showtime?

Basically, but it's a better app than the parent company CBS has out.
post #185 of 737 Old 04-07-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:

How you do remove widgets from the dock that you don't use? Seems I can move it or delete it permanently. I don't want to delete it permanently, just get it off the dock.

"Delete permanently" it's a misnomer as it only deletes it from your dock. It will still be available from the Widget Gallery and you'll be able to add it again.

I actually mentioned this in one of the VIA VIP surveys - I wanted them to rename it to "Remove from dock". Maybe during the next update.
post #186 of 737 Old 04-08-2010, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hit the Via button, then the Yellow key. That give you the option to move & delete the items. It is documented in the manual if these simple instructions don't help.
post #187 of 737 Old 04-08-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user4avsforum View Post

Hit the Via button, then the Yellow key. That give you the option to move & delete the items. It is documented in the manual if these simple instructions don't help.

I referred to the manual many times because I thought I was missing something. It was the "permanently" part that threw me...and it's non documented in the manual.

All is good now. I "permanently deleted" widgets back to the Gallery.

I know it's early in the game, and I'm not complaining, but I'm finding most of the widgets to be of little value.
post #188 of 737 Old 04-08-2010, 10:51 AM

Hey, just wanted to mention that I got my VIA VIP goodies on Tuesday, and they are really awesome. The style and quality is really nice. This certainly was a very nice gift/offer given to us for what we had to do for them in return.

BTW...I am using this universal speaker mount for my soundbar on my 52" Sharp LCD: http://soundbarbrackets.com/
post #189 of 737 Old 04-08-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJimbo View Post

Hey, just wanted to mention that I got my VIA VIP goodies on Tuesday, and they are really awesome. The style and quality is really nice. This certainly was a very nice gift/offer given to us for what we had to do for them in return.

BTW...I am using this universal speaker mount for my soundbar on my 52" Sharp LCD: http://soundbarbrackets.com/

I just got mine today. And I'm very happy with both the goodies as well. I am having an issue with the sound bar remote. Not sure if it's the battery or if something is wrong with the remote's sensor - the TV remote works ok, so it's not the sensor on the sound bar. I'll probably try changing the battery. Did anyone else have an issue with the sound bar remote?
post #190 of 737 Old 04-08-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docholliday814 View Post

I just got mine today. And I'm very happy with both the goodies as well. I am having an issue with the sound bar remote. Not sure if it's the battery or if something is wrong with the remote's sensor - the TV remote works ok, so it's not the sensor on the sound bar. I'll probably try changing the battery. Did anyone else have an issue with the sound bar remote?

I read on the soundbar forum that there is some tape covering the sensor, wtf, I know. The poster noted the tape can be easily removed by carefully peeling back the black cloth.
post #191 of 737 Old 04-08-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schub View Post

I read on the soundbar forum that there is some tape covering the sensor, wtf, I know. The poster noted the tape can be easily removed by carefully peeling back the black cloth.

Ah, all better now. Thanks!
post #192 of 737 Old 04-08-2010, 06:46 PM

I just received my free Vizio Soundbar, and wondering how to get my Vizio 55" VF552XVT (VIA) qwerty remote to also control my new vizio soundbar. It works perfect when i use the cheap AV cables, but when i connect it Optical, It works but not with the qwerty TV remote. Instead, i have to use the cheap remote the soundbar came with as my vizio qwerty remote has no volume control. Is there a way to enter codes manually with this TV? There's a big difference in sound between the cheap audio cables and using optical. It's crazy that Vizio would make a Soundbar for their TV's but my advanced Audio setup on my new Vizio TV doesn't have vizio listed as an option under the "Soundbar" Selection. Anyone suggestions or known facts about this would be great. Thank You.
post #193 of 737 Old 04-08-2010, 07:18 PM

I received the soundbar (haven't opened the box yet). But there was no DVD player box. I assume it isn't in the soundbar box. Is it?
post #194 of 737 Old 04-08-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesd777 View Post

I just received my free Vizio Soundbar, and wondering how to get my Vizio 55" VF552XVT (VIA) qwerty remote to also control my new vizio soundbar. It works perfect when i use the cheap AV cables, but when i connect it Optical, It works but not with the qwerty TV remote. Instead, i have to use the cheap remote the soundbar came with as my vizio qwerty remote has no volume control. Is there a way to enter codes manually with this TV? There's a big difference in sound between the cheap audio cables and using optical. It's crazy that Vizio would make a Soundbar for their TV's but my advanced Audio setup on my new Vizio TV doesn't have vizio listed as an option under the "Soundbar" Selection. Anyone suggestions or known facts about this would be great. Thank You.

For me the volume on the TV remote now controls the soundbar volume only. I simply added the soundbar as an external audio device. But, I can't get it to control the other parts of the soundbar/sub (subwoofer volume, the trusound options, etc.).

Edit: I'm using an optical cable.
post #195 of 737 Old 04-08-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrin View Post

I received the soundbar (haven't opened the box yet). But there was no DVD player box. I assume it isn't in the soundbar box. Is it?

The blu-ray player comes in a separate box and shipment. So, if you received the soundbar today, you're likely to get the blue-ray player tomorrow.
post #196 of 737 Old 04-09-2010, 11:44 PM

USB Port - want them enabled now.
FYI - Called Customer Support yesterday and Charlie told me NO planned date to activate the plugs is on the radar. He also warned me not to plug anything in to test it because it could damage the device plugged in. I don't see how but I'm not taking chances.

I registered a STRONG complaint about the USB plug - I'm very tired of waiting for at least one. I urge each of you to call Vizio and register a complaint. Maybe we can get this pushed to the front burner soon.

The manual is being revised as there are mistakes about Input Use
I asked some PIP/POP questions (I want my Wii (currently in AV plug slot) & TV (direct coax from the wall) to be shown in POP windows so I can use Wii Fit Plus board and watch TV too. I don't want to have to buy a Wii to HDMI cable because it doesn't make any difference in visual quality (and may even degrade it).
PIP/POP can only use one from column a + one from column b, to use chinese menu analogy. In other words only a combination of 1 hdmi + 1 non-hdmi input is currently possible.

To end on a positive note, I'm glad we are all getting our goodies from VIA VIP program as promised.
post #197 of 737 Old 04-10-2010, 05:00 AM

I just don't understand why Vizio would severely diminish the PIP/POP feature. On my XVT421SV, any two sources could be used for PIP/POP. On the 2010 models, its as you state. Pretty retarded. The PIP/POP was the reason I bought the 421, and then when I "upgraded" to the SV422XVT, I found that I could not use the feature as I always had. I ended up returning the 422.

I am this world, and I eat this world. Who knows this, knows.

the Upanishads.
post #198 of 737 Old 04-10-2010, 03:05 PM

It is odd and I don't understand it either. I have asked for a firmware update to address this and hopefully each of you will as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitesh Patel View Post

I just don't understand why Vizio would severely diminish the PIP/POP feature. On my XVT421SV, any two sources could be used for PIP/POP. On the 2010 models, its as you state. Pretty retarded. The PIP/POP was the reason I bought the 421, and then when I "upgraded" to the SV422XVT, I found that I could not use the feature as I always had. I ended up returning the 422.

post #199 of 737 Old 04-10-2010, 07:39 PM

Liked: 14
I've had my 552XVT since January but just found this thread today (but I'm viewing it on my TV since my laptop's connected to it!)

Anyways, in addition to only getting 2-channel PCM sound from Vudu and Amazon, I just activated Netflix a couple weeks ago and the sound on everything from that has been in MONO! I know Netflix can't do 5.1 but it can at least do stereo, but there's absolutely no channel separation on anything and all the sound comes through my center channel. Just for kicks I turned on the TV's speakers and it comes out in mono through those as well. I've checked about 25 movies which I've seen before and know how they should sound, and hooking up the computer they come out in stereo through that but the picture quality isn't as good as it is through the TV's app.

I've been complaining about this on both Vizio and Netflix's Facebook pages for about a week, but nobody seems to know what the problem is and none of the other people who've used Netflix have commented about the sound. I called Netflix's phone line the day I activated it, and they said I'd have to let Vizio know about the sound problem. Called Vizio this week and they said Netflix has to update the software to fix the problem, so not sure who to believe.

Is ANYBODY getting stereo audio out of Netflix? I'd think the people on this forum would notice more than the people who've been posting on Facebook. I'm not sure if this problem is isolated to just my TV or if it's affecting every one of this model, but if it is it seems that SOMEBODY else should have noticed it by now.

All the VOD services this thing has are pretty neat, but I'm not going to pay for any of them until they work like they're supposed to!
post #200 of 737 Old 04-10-2010, 10:27 PM

>>Showtime ... But as far as I can tell all I can watch is a free episode of Nurse Jackie...and some movie trailers.<<

I saw and tried the widget tonight too. It does seem to just be a "teaser channel." It looked like they offered a few more shows in addition to Nurse Jackie.

I wonder what the minimum DSL speed is needed for no stutter watching. I have 3.0 mbs or whatever (I know, slow in this day and age) and the show was often a bit stuttery (my new word).
post #201 of 737 Old 04-12-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

Anyways, in addition to only getting 2-channel PCM sound from Vudu and Amazon, I just activated Netflix a couple weeks ago and the sound on everything from that has been in MONO! I know Netflix can't do 5.1 but it can at least do stereo, but there's absolutely no channel separation on anything and all the sound comes through my center channel. Just for kicks I turned on the TV's speakers and it comes out in mono through those as well. I've checked about 25 movies which I've seen before and know how they should sound, and hooking up the computer they come out in stereo through that but the picture quality isn't as good as it is through the TV's app.
I've been complaining about this on both Vizio and Netflix's Facebook pages for about a week, but nobody seems to know what the problem is and none of the other people who've used Netflix have commented about the sound. I called Netflix's phone line the day I activated it, and they said I'd have to let Vizio know about the sound problem. Called Vizio this week and they said Netflix has to update the software to fix the problem, so not sure who to believe.

Is ANYBODY getting stereo audio out of Netflix? I'd think the people on this forum would notice more than the people who've been posting on Facebook. I'm not sure if this problem is isolated to just my TV or if it's affecting every one of this model, but if it is it seems that SOMEBODY else should have noticed it by now.

All the VOD services this thing has are pretty neat, but I'm not going to pay for any of them until they work like they're supposed to!

Just so i can kinda test this out on my VIA 55 as well, what type of setup are you using ? a 5.1 surround setup going through an AVR? or just an audio receiver ? using optical or analog cables ?
post #202 of 737 Old 04-12-2010, 03:01 PM

I have the TV's optical output going to the receiver- I use that just to get sound from the TV tuner and internet apps, everything else I have connected directly to the receiver and then fed to one HDMI input on the TV. It gets 5.1 from TV broadcasts like it's supposed to (not that there's ever anything on to watch, but that's another topic.)
post #203 of 737 Old 04-16-2010, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Vizio also told me the problem was the netflix app when I was getting the green line on 4:3 content. The issue was fixed with a FW update. I don't have surround sound yet so I can't report on the issue but if more people complain I'm sure they would do something about it.
post #204 of 737 Old 04-16-2010, 07:20 AM

i got a 552 the other day and i am having a problem with the netflix app! it asks if i am a member, then cant connect (yes i am on the net). i click no and it goes through the whole what you get then asks me if i am ready to start, again, yes. so it tells me to go to netflix.com/vizio for my free trial, cool. but then it takes me to the activation screen, and i have nothing to put in it! how can i register my tv or sign into my account if neither option is there?
post #205 of 737 Old 04-17-2010, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

Using a computer, you have to sign into Netflix. There is a place on the Netflix site that allows you to add a device for streaming i.e. PS3 or tv. It then gives you a registration code which has to be entered into the tv. Once that process is done, your tv will automatically connect to your Netflix account.

I'm having the same problem. However, this solution isn't how the process works. The device provides the code to be entered on the Netflix web site.

This is how all my other Netflix devices have worked.

Anyone else having the problem and perhaps has a solution?
post #206 of 737 Old 04-17-2010, 11:59 AM

Love the TV. Awesome picture, great features.

But I too have the Optical out issue.

No matter if set to Dolby Digital or PCM, only getting regular stero sound when plugged into by Denon.

For now, I'll be using both the receiver speakers as well as the TV speakers. At least I get a little bit fuller sound.

I guess we'll all have to wait on a firmware update.
post #207 of 737 Old 04-17-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauptm View Post

I'm having the same problem. However, this solution isn't how the process works. The device provides the code to be entered on the Netflix web site.

This is how all my other Netflix devices have worked.

Anyone else having the problem and perhaps has a solution?

Kept retrying.....Netflix is working fine now....go figure.
post #208 of 737 Old 04-18-2010, 04:49 AM

But the sound still isn't fixed.
post #209 of 737 Old 04-18-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Yep. My bad. I got the two mixed up. The device gives you the activation code that you enter on the Netflix website. That's what happens when you drink a few single malts before you post. Like others have said, I had no problems with the process with either my 552 or my PS3. The only problem that we continue to have is single channel audio. Good luck getting your tv working with Netflix.

No problem.....

Works great now. Kept retrying throughout the day and viola, it now works.

Yep. Got the same 2 channel issue. I've read elsewhere that Vizio claims only to output 5.1 when the source is the coax/antenna input. Seems like a serious engineering miss if this is the case.

At any rate, I learned my receiver will upconvert 2 channel sound to 'virtual 5.1'. Sounds pretty good. At least better than 'stereo'. Not nearly as good though as having the raw 5.1 input.
post #210 of 737 Old 04-19-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:

Ah, we are talking about 2 different audio problems. I meant to say that the audio streamed from Netflix directly through the tv is mono only. This means that only your center speaker will have sound even though your surround sound system shows that it is producing Dolby Pro Logic. You are talking about passing Dolby Digital 5.1 through the HDMI ports of the tv and out of the optical port, which my tv (I can only speak for my situation) does. I can pass 5.1 from my PS3 and HD-DVD player with no problem. Unfortunately my cable box (SA8300 HDC) does not pass Dolby Digital 5.1 through the HDMI cable - only through optical or coax. Also, many of the Blu-ray disks only have DTS HD encoded on them. The tv will not pass this and down converts to stereo.

I get a virtual 5.1 (all speakers - not just center) when TV is connected via optical to my receiver and the TV is using the cable box and any VIA apps, Netflix, Vulu, Amazon...etc as the source input.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page