VIZIO INTERNET APPS (VIA) Enabled LCD's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 737 Old 02-13-2010, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought I would start this thread since several people asked for one and with the TVs being released to the general public, more questions are sure to come. Please keep this on-topic to VIA enabled models. No price talk.

The VIA platform is based on the Yahoo Widgets for television called Yahoo! Connected TV. More information on Yahoo! Connected TV can be found here

http://connectedtv.yahoo.com/

While this is not exclusive to Vizio TV's, Vizio has stated to offer special content for their product line.

The VIA hardware support includes the following based on information from Yahoo! At this time it is unclear if Vizio will utilize all features.

Quote:
  • Intel® CE 3100 System On a Chip (SOC) Media Processor
  • 256MB RAM
  • Video Codec: HD: H.264, VC1, MPEG2, WMV9 SD: Flash-lite 3.1 (On2 VP6, Sorenson, h264), MPEG4 part 2, DivX3/4/5/6, WMV7/8, MPEG1
  • Audio Codec: AC-3, WMA7/8, WMA9, WMA Pro, MPEG1 L2, LPCM, MPEG2 L2, MPEG4 AAC-LC, MPEG1 L3, MPEG2 L3, HE-AAC, Dolby Digital Plus Optional Codecs: DTS 5.1 core, DTS HD, Dolby TrueHD
  • Multichannel Audio: 2 channels for WMA up to WMA Pro. Up to 5.1 channels for AC3, DTS, AAC
  • JPG, PNG image support
  • DRM Support: WMDRM-PD/Janus, DTCP-IP
  • Container Format Support: MPEG2-PS, MPEG2-TS, MPEG1-System, AVI, ASF, MP4, MOV*(QuickTime), FLV, F4V
  • DLNA Client and MyMedia widget
  • Flash Storage with Optional storage support

As the date of this post Vizio currently offers 3 models of TV's with VIA. They will be offering VIA in their next model of Blu-Ray player as well.

VF552XVT

55 LCD LED HDTV
802.11N Dual Band Wireless Networking
TruLED Superior LCD HDTV Performance
Smart Dimming
2,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
240Hz SPS*
Full HD 1080P
50% below Energy Star® 3.0
Mercury Free

SV472XVT

47 LCD LED HDTV
802.11N Dual Band Wireless Networking
TruLED Superior LCD HDTV Performance
Smart Dimming
2,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
240Hz SPS*
Full HD 1080P
45% below Energy Star® 3.0
Mercury Free

SV422XVT

42 LCD HDTV
50,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
240Hz SPS*
Full HD 1080P
SRS TruSurround HD & SRS TruVolume
Exceeds Energy Star® Guidelines by 20%

More information can be found here:

http://vizio.com/via/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 737 Old 02-13-2010, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Like a few others here I participated in the VIA VIP program that allowed users to test an offering of the internet apps and provide feedback to Vizio. In exchange after completing a survey each week for six weeks Vizio would send a Blu-ray player and sound-bar with sub-woofer.

My path to the VF552XVT
I had been planning on a HDTV purchase since June and had heard about Vizio offering LED backlit models. I told myself I would wait for the LED offerings since they were coming out in September. This quickly got pushed back and while I waited I had heard of the internet app version being offered in the new VIA enabled models. Due to my family watching most of our content on-line (Netflix, Hulu, Veoh and others) this seemed like the TV to wait for. So finally after not having a TV for 6 months I received notification of the VIA VIP program and signed up for our 55" TV.

The wait is over
When my TV arrived I was impressed with the packaging.

The box was a bit overwhelming especially in our small living room. My only complaint with the packaging is there was not a protective sheet over the panel itself. Though I didn't have any I could see the screen getting scratched easily with only a plastic bag protecting it. Unpacking the TV was a breeze and with the stand already attached we were up and running in a few minutes.

Setup...so easy
First thing you get when powering up your new TV is the setup menu. This walks you through pairing the Bluetooth Remote, Setting up your internet connection and personal information and settings. You can option out of this and set the features up separately if you wish. I decided to connect my TV to the internet cloud via wireless based on it's location in my home.

Apps shmapps who cares?
I've heard a lot of people talk down a TV with "limited" internet connectivity. Will this replace your PC for internet browsing? No, the Widgets are designed around a partial multimedia experience the internet offers. These apps are designed for the general public not for the diehard guy looking to compare it to his HTPC.

Even with the limited amount of apps available at the moment. I have been really impressed. Especially with the HD streaming offerings of Vudu and Amazon on Demand. I can already see my days of running out to the video store being a thing of the past.

Vizio sells junk...right?
I had been told not to go with Vizio due to their picture quality only being substandard compared to that of other providers. Initially when I started to shop for a large display I went around to the local businesses to see what they had to offer. I knew I wanted to wait until the LED Vizio came out before making my final call but nothing hurts shopping around. There are many impressive TV's out there and I am not saying Vizio is the best but I was blown away at the viewing angles on the 552. I originally compared the angles of the 551 once it came out to other offerings and it was right up there with name brand TV's. I had also checked online and started seeing more and more information that states Vizio is in for the long haul.

Now I have had some minor issues with my set. I don't want to go into detail on this post especially since the TV is not released to the general public yet. I will post those later.

Game play
I have probably spent about 7 hours solid playing video games on this TV and the colors are rich and vibrant. One thing that really impressed me with this TV was how great games look. Even my son's Mortal Kombat games on his PS2 look good in 480P. I have played a few games with my PC connected via HDMI at 1080P and was equally impressed. I will provide more in this section at a later time once I have a chance to review some specific titles.

Final thoughts
Vizio has put a lot of effort in their company to get to where they are today. I honestly thought a few years ago when I first saw Vizio that it would be another knock off brand that would be gone pretty quickly. The VIA enabled TV's have a lot to offer and an even greater potential. I hope they really take advantage of the features this TV offers in the next year and look forward to more application offerings.
post #3 of 737 Old 02-13-2010, 01:16 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks for starting this forum! I'm also in the VIP program and think some of the apps are great (Vudu, Amazon, Netflix) and some are a waste (CBS).

I'm not a big fan of the dock (for those of you that don't have a 552 or one of the other VIA tvs, all the apps are on the bottom of the screen, and you scroll thru them horizontally.) I think it would be better if you could click an apps button and have them all appear onscreen at once... like how the Max OSX dock shows programs as in the attached image. That way you can see everything at once rather than scrolling thru a long list.

I've suggested this to Vizio in the latest survey. If others think this is a good idea, please let them know.
LL
post #4 of 737 Old 02-13-2010, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Same here. I also suggested that on the last survey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVIDGR View Post

Thanks for starting this forum! I'm also in the VIP program and think some of the apps are great (Vudu, Amazon, Netflix) and some are a waste (CBS).

I'm not a big fan of the dock (for those of you that don't have a 552 or one of the other VIA tvs, all the apps are on the bottom of the screen, and you scroll thru them horizontally.) I think it would be better if you could click an apps button and have them all appear onscreen at once... like how the Max OSX dock shows programs as in the attached image. That way you can see everything at once rather than scrolling thru a long list.

I've suggested this to Vizio in the latest survey. If others think this is a good idea, please let them know.

post #5 of 737 Old 02-13-2010, 08:39 PM

Deric thanks again for the thread!

For me nothings perfect, but like most things in life the more I play with it the more I like it.

Using the VIA Dock and the Yahoo Widgets give me the feeling of a work in progress.

I'm sure there is some sort of balance between user functions and available resources.

I hope Vizio actually uses the VIP program surveys to tweak their products.

So far the Dock Program seems stable with no crashes. The Widgets lockup and crash sometimes but the TV has always been able to recover in less than a minute by shutting itself down and doing a reboot. Did not mind at all when an Amazon movie preview crashed and ended up showing the entire movie after the reboot.

Changes I'd like on the VIA Dock
1) Back function
2) Green Button assigned as a hot key for the HDTV Settings Widget
For easy access to TV adjustments
3) 0 button assigned as a hot key for the Profiles Widget
I set up profiles for different catagories such as favorites, movies, sports, etc.
4) 1 thru 9 buttons user assigned hot keys
don't know if its possible but would be nice

As the Yahoo Widgets grow in number, I think the catagory and hot key setup would be a quick and easy way to access them since all we have is the remote. No mouse needed

Widget I'd like to make:

Hunt camp widget
page 1 = online camp weather station
page 2 = nexrad radar for camp location
page 3 thru 5 = online video feeds from camp wildlife cameras
post #6 of 737 Old 02-13-2010, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 91
Any word on Costco delivery date and price?
post #7 of 737 Old 02-14-2010, 12:34 AM

Costco's website no longer lists any 55" from Vizio, only the 47" is listed (SV472XVT)
post #8 of 737 Old 02-14-2010, 02:34 AM

I'm also interested in this TV. When will this TV become availabe?

Did you guys try the wireless feature? does it work well? I currently connect my computer to the Internet through wireless connection, so this is important to me.

Can this new model play HD videos (Mpeg4, H264) via the USB port?
post #9 of 737 Old 02-14-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Last I saw, Amazon was shipping these out starting tomorrow, 2/15. Anyone order one from them? If so, please share your experience....
post #10 of 737 Old 02-14-2010, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

As I posted above I have mine connected with wireless. I originally had a wireless B linksys router and upgraded to a cheap TEW-652BRP N router. I've streamed HD movies with Netflix, Vudu and Amazon without issue. Vudu outperformed them all and had better features including chapters. Amazon gets props for having more 48hr rentals. For now the 3 USB ports are listed as maintenance only. Vizio states they will be enabled in a firmware update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestco View Post

I'm also interested in this TV. When will this TV become availabe?

Did you guys try the wireless feature? does it work well? I currently connect my computer to the Internet through wireless connection, so this is important to me.

Can this new model play HD videos (Mpeg4, H264) via the USB port?

post #11 of 737 Old 02-14-2010, 01:47 PM

I am interested in the Rhapsody app. The Vizio's have, under the advanced audio menu, equalization with I think 5 bands. The Vizio also comes with an optical audio out. Potentially, this LCD could be used as a source component for even high end audio systems (that use an external DAC - such as the Benchmark HDR - that has both DAC and Preamp in one unit). The deal breaker is the Vizio Rhapsody UI, signal strength, and sound quality. Can anyone comment on these Rhapsody app issues?
post #12 of 737 Old 02-14-2010, 06:35 PM

Where can the Pandora widget be found? When I go to all widgets, it's not listed on any of the 3 pages. Has it not come out yet?
post #13 of 737 Old 02-14-2010, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deric_ View Post

Intel® CE 3100 System On a Chip (SOC) Media Processor

This kicks so much ass.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #14 of 737 Old 02-15-2010, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

It's not out yet unfortunately. I expect to see more widgets available once the TV is released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqqker View Post

Where can the Pandora widget be found? When I go to all widgets, it's not listed on any of the 3 pages. Has it not come out yet?

post #15 of 737 Old 02-15-2010, 06:02 AM

Do you know what the intended market for those TV's will be? How many they are hoping to sell? I'd imagine that a lot of people won't be buying those TV's yet. I don't seen a need since I already have a Roku unit.

Those models are a little big for what I'm looking for anyway, and also out of my price range. It seems they should have had a 32-inch model available.
post #16 of 737 Old 02-15-2010, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
There are apparentlhy other improvments between the xx1 and xx2 models then the addition of the Widgets since acccording to EnergyStar.gov the xx2 units use about 10% less power then the xx1 units.
post #17 of 737 Old 02-16-2010, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Edit: Both of these issues were fixed with updates

Can someone with the 552 and netflix test the following issues?

Issue #1
Green Line and screen jump with 4:3 content.

I get a green line and the screen will jump. This is on any 4:3 content on netflix that has a 640x480 resolution and 23.97 frequency setting (per system information in the help menu).

Vizio says it is Netflix and Netflix is saying it is the TV at that resolution. If it is Netflix other VIA users should see the same issue.

Two examples I watched recently:
Law and Order SVU Season 1: Any episode
Grumpy Old Men

Issue # 2
Netflix ending early
I see this on most episodes where I'm returned to the main netflix screen before the credits complete. This is very apparent on The Pink Panther cartoons since they end early.

Netflix is looking into the issue to see if it is something they can reproduce.

Pink Panther Classic Cartoon Collection
post #18 of 737 Old 02-16-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:

Issue #1

I get a green line and the screen will jump. This is on any 4:3 content on netflix that has a 640x480 resolution and 23.97 frequency setting (per system information in the help menu).

Vizio says it is Netflix and Netflix is saying it is the TV at that resolution. If it is Netflix other VIA users should see the same issue.

Grumpy Old Men

http://cdn-1.nflximg.com/us/boxshots/large/60031151.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://cdn-2.nflximg.com/us/boxshots/large/563572.jpg

Issue # 2
Netflix ending early
I see this on most episodes where I'm returned to the main netflix screen before the credits complete. This is very apparent on The Pink Panther cartoons since they end early.

http://cdn-0.nflximg.com/us/boxshots/large/70035020.jpg

I'll test issue number #1 later when I get the chance. I've experienced issue #2 with the entire season 1 Dexter TV series and a couple of season 2 episodes.
post #19 of 737 Old 02-17-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Doc, I would appreciate it. On another note Survey 4 is available and is a survey on the Rhapsody widget

http://viziovip.com/auth
post #20 of 737 Old 02-17-2010, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Wow I just used Rhapsody for a few hours and that widget is buggy. It seemed to bog the TV down and the interface really seemed like it needs some work. This was the longest survey I've completed yet and I've typed some long ones. It has potential but I really hope Rhapsody makes some updates to this one.
post #21 of 737 Old 02-17-2010, 07:44 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Wow I just used Rhapsody for a few hours and that widget is buggy. It seemed to bog the TV down and the interface really seemed like it needs some work. This was the longest survey I've completed yet and I've typed some long ones. It has potential but I really hope Rhapsody makes some updates to this one.

I agree with you. It's so slow. I kept scrolling past the song I wanted to hear because there is such a bad lag between the remote and the Rhapsody app. And when I signed into the app, the size of the text for the user id and password was so small. I'm sitting 10 feet away from the screen and it was really hard to see what I typed. When you combine that with the lag, it took me a few times to accurately enter my user id and password.

I also agree with you that the interface needs alot of work. Compare it to the Vudu app to see how it should be done.

There's no way I'd pay for this. I have a 30 day free trial, and I don't think I'll even try it again!!!
post #22 of 737 Old 02-17-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:

Issue #1

Grumpy Old Men

Issue # 2
Netflix ending early

I just watched a little bit of Grumpy Old Men and I did see the flashing green line and the stuttering/jumpy picture.
post #23 of 737 Old 02-18-2010, 05:30 AM

Thanks for informing us about the Rhapsody app. I am sorry to hear it has so many problems. I was hoping that the Vizio could be used as an audio source device for my stereo system (given that it is optical out and an equalizer). It sounds like even the portable mp3 player called Ibiza produced by Haier does a better job as a user interface for Rhapsody. Please come back to us when Rhapsody releases a new version. I will take the Vizio more seriously when that and Netflix work out their kinks.
post #24 of 737 Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunting View Post

Thanks for informing us about the Rhapsody app. I am sorry to hear it has so many problems. I was hoping that the Vizio could be used as an audio source device for my stereo system (given that it is optical out and an equalizer). It sounds like even the portable mp3 player called Ibiza produced by Haier does a better job as a user interface for Rhapsody. Please come back to us when Rhapsody releases a new version. I will take the Vizio more seriously when that and Netflix work out their kinks.

Rhapsody's app was by the far the slowest that I've played around with. However, for the most part I found the sound quality to be pretty good. I think if you have a decent sound system attached to the TV, this app can be a great addition once some quality improvements have been made.

Also, I think the Netflix app while not perfect works rather well. I do wish you could search and add titles to your queue from within the app, though.
post #25 of 737 Old 02-18-2010, 09:51 AM

On the TV box it shows FACEBOOk as a widgets, but couldn't find widgets for face book.
Any idea was facebook removed or was never there to beging with ?
post #26 of 737 Old 02-18-2010, 09:54 AM

has anyone created custom yahoo widgets ? if so please post the hands on for how to create and load one in 552.
post #27 of 737 Old 02-18-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_orion13 View Post

On the TV box it shows FACEBOOk as a widgets, but couldn't find widgets for face book.
Any idea was facebook removed or was never there to beging with ?

It was available for a few days and then removed. I'm sure it'll be back eventually.
post #28 of 737 Old 02-18-2010, 01:43 PM

Information on the Yahoo Widgets including widget development toolkits (WDKs) can be found at:
http://connectedtv.yahoo.com/

Vizio has only added a subset of what has been developed to date.

-Adam
post #29 of 737 Old 02-18-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

From what I understand the TV has a development code that you associate with your Yahoo Developer Account. Once associated, Widgets you have in your development area will show up. I'm building a Linux box this weekend as a development machine to try my hand at the Widgets since it is needed for the emulator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_orion13 View Post

has anyone created custom yahoo widgets ? if so please post the hands on for how to create and load one in 552.

post #30 of 737 Old 02-18-2010, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Doc!! It's good to know that I'm not the only one. I did a few more tests and if I pull up the menu and press the blue button to resize the screen the problem goes away. I am 100% sure it is an issue with the TV's. Hopefully they can fix it with a firmware update. I'll talk to Vizio tomorrow and see if I get anywhere. Can anyone test this out on the 47 and 42 inch? It would be good to know if it is on all VIA models and I would like to add a known issue area to post 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docholliday814 View Post

I just watched a little bit of Grumpy Old Men and I did see the flashing green line and the stuttering/jumpy picture.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page