The Official KDL....EX700 Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3684 Old 03-03-2010, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I referred not only to black level, but also PQ and colors in my previous posts. So this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVVQ View Post

You do understand that black level alone doesn't say anything about the performance of a tv?

was unnecessary IMO.

There's both black and white levels listed in those reviews, as well as PQ and everything else that matters. So why not take a gander?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3684 Old 03-03-2010, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you look at the black level comparison chart in the link that's provided look where the LH90 comes in. I have seen the the LH90 many times and I have 0 problems with its black levels. There is a well respected ISF calibrator that frequents this forum who believes the LH90 rivals a Kuro in its black levels and look where Televisioninfo has it. I also see some things in the viewing angle chart I would take issue with.
I will take a "wait and see" approach until another review appears other than Televisioninfo...I don't find them all that reliable.
post #273 of 3684 Old 03-03-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

If you look at the black level comparison chart in the link that's provided look where the LH90 comes in. I have seen the the LH90 many times and I have 0 problems with its black levels. There is a well respected ISF calibrator that frequents this forum who believes the LH90 rivals a Kuro in its black levels and look where Televisioninfo has it. I also see some things in the viewing angle chart I would take issue with.
I will take a "wait and see" approach until another review appears other than Televisioninfo...I don't find them all that reliable.

Yeah I saw Chad's review as well and I too think the LH90 has a black level of under 0.1 cd/m2. I remember an owner saying that turning the local dimming feature off would result in the TV having grayish blacks like older LCD TVs, so maybe that could explain it?

I agree though, let's wait for more in depth reviews.
post #274 of 3684 Old 03-03-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxmania View Post

We'll have to wait for a review which states the EX500's black level, but I can assure you it's better than the EX700's 0.11 cd/m2. The Z5100 has a calibrated black level of 0.05 cd/m2 (0.07 cd/m2 out of the box).

This is the part that gave me the impression that you don't understand that by adjusting the backlight lower the EX700 can surely reach those black levels while the white levels remain even higher than on the Z5100.

I too am sure the EX500 will have a lower black level if its backlight is adjusted much lower than the EX700 in that review.
post #275 of 3684 Old 03-03-2010, 07:06 PM

This is why I don't like top pick apart any TV. If I like the picture, it's a keeper. I like the picture on my EX701.
post #276 of 3684 Old 03-03-2010, 07:29 PM

Anyone heard a release date for the EX600?
post #277 of 3684 Old 03-03-2010, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalAlien View Post

This is why I don't like top pick apart any TV. If I like the picture, it's a keeper. I like the picture on my EX701.

Agreed, the EX700 has wow'd everyone that has come to see it. Lots of them current LCD owners (various brands). I see people complaining about measurements of black levels and white levels, but all I have to say owning this TV is that without any professional calibration, my blacks are DEEP black with no signs of light escaping through anywhere, and the whites if I want them to be, can be SUPER white. The way the TV is set now though, it's absolutely beautiful.

I don't have the perfectionists eye though, I just know when I saw the EX500 I walked away thinking...meh. Didn't look bad, but the EX700 definitely looked better.
post #278 of 3684 Old 03-03-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K8CivicSI View Post

Agreed, the EX700 has wow'd everyone that has come to see it. Lots of them current LCD owners (various brands). I see people complaining about measurements of black levels and white levels, but all I have to say owning this TV is that without any professional calibration, my blacks are DEEP black with no signs of light escaping through anywhere, and the whites if I want them to be, can be SUPER white. The way the TV is set now though, it's absolutely beautiful.

I don't have the perfectionists eye though, I just know when I saw the EX500 I walked away thinking...meh. Didn't look bad, but the EX700 definitely looked better.

My EX701 is good too. I am happy with my purchase.
post #279 of 3684 Old 03-03-2010, 10:50 PM

I was considering the Samsung 6000 series but was holding off because of the flashlight and clouding issues. I was considering the 8500 but thought that it was to much money. Even though the CNET review had the 8500 as the best LCD they ever tested. Now I was considering the Sony KDL-52EX700. I couldn't find a review for that one but found the CNET review for the KDL-52NX800 and they are comparing that to the 6, 7, and 8000 series. Not the 8500. Saying that the edge lit Samsungs and the Sony were very comparable. Now I am really confused because the Sony and Samsung sound very similar. Only the Sony is smaller and costs more. Might as well buy the cheaper Samsung. I am sure most of you would disagree because you like Sony. To me it doesn't matter what brand. Just want the best TV for the money. Guess I will have to think on it for a while.
post #280 of 3684 Old 03-03-2010, 11:19 PM

Buy the one you want. We are not the ones going to be sitting next to you when you watch it. You are the only one who has to be happy about it.

Funny thing, just now I left the room for a few minutes, when I came back in the TV appeared to be off, I was sure I left it on...

It was just the fade to black between commercials... Talk about yer black levels ha ha.
post #281 of 3684 Old 03-04-2010, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

If you were gone for a certain period of time the presence sensor kicks in and turns off the set. When you walk back in it'll turn the screen back on. You can set it to be longer or off. I think that's what may have happened?
post #282 of 3684 Old 03-04-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumon View Post

Where did you see new Sharp 2010 LED model?

I live in Yokohama and there are a lot of 2010 models out here already.

I think that the LED Sharp (not sure of the model number) is inferior to both the EX700 and 500. In the store the three of them are next to each other showing the same video. Of course, with calibration that may change. But the EX700 has a sweet picture quality and nicer colours.

Also, I have checked out the G2 and S2 Viera's side by side and the G2 is definitely better, in my opinion.

I guess the main issue, for me, will be the heat given off by the TV as it can hit mid-to-high 30s here in the summer and if the TV is adding to that heat then that'll push my air-con electricity bill up too. So, I guess that's an important consideration....though that could be balanced out in the chilly winter by helping to heat my room. lol

Right now I am 90% with the EX700 as I checked out the Viera V1 and it had PERMANENT IR of some shopping channel that the store was running. Now, I know that that's unlikely to happen in the home....but just seeing it for real in the store for the first time really swayed my thinking towards the LCD. I don't particularly want to run the risk of pausing a DVD or PC feed and then forget to turn off the TV....go to work....then come home and find my TV screwed.

MetalAlien, that sounds like the sensor turned it off alright. You're not going crazy. lol. Did the sound stay on while the screen was off?
post #283 of 3684 Old 03-04-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YokohamaGaijin View Post

I live in Yokohama and there are a lot of 2010 models out here already.

I think that the LED Sharp (not sure of the model number) is inferior to both the EX700 and 500. In the store the three of them are next to each other showing the same video. Of course, with calibration that may change. But the EX700 has a sweet picture quality and nicer colours.

Also, I have checked out the G2 and S2 Viera's side by side and the G2 is definitely better, in my opinion.

Thanks for the info. I am just wandering what Sharp LED models were on display? Were they new 2010 LED edge lit with uv2a quad pixel panels? (here in the US they go by model LE810UN/LE820UN/LE920UN)
I've read that the new Sharp panels supposed to give > 4000:1 native contrast - that is almost 2x of any current LCD panel on the market.
I've owned Sharp LE700UN (LED backlit array) and really liked the PQ and that
model had X-Gen panel, but not uv2a one. So I would expect even better PQ form the new panels from Sharp.
Re the G2 and S2 plasmas....I've checked the heat coming from the 42" S2 and it was lust luke warm. They did a really good job this year - the power consumption was cut even more from the 2009 models. All 2010 Pannys are fanless now.
post #284 of 3684 Old 03-04-2010, 07:51 AM

LX1 and SE1 are using UV2A panels but not RGBY UV2A.

You can find them here. Sharp Japan has a completely different collection of TVs
http://www.sharp.co.jp/aquos/

Sony is dead.
post #285 of 3684 Old 03-04-2010, 08:15 AM

I guess it could have been the sensor thingy. It sure reacted quick when I came back in the room .
post #286 of 3684 Old 03-04-2010, 09:21 AM

I'm sorry if this was asked already. Are there any signs of "smearing" on any of these new Sony LCDs like there use to be on the XBR 4/5?
post #287 of 3684 Old 03-04-2010, 05:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quick question for any EX700 owners out there: Can "Motionflow" (120Hz) be turned off - or is it an "always on" kind of thing?

I've heard a lot about 120 and 240 Hz features ruining the filmic look of movies.

If it can't be turned off - is it, in your opinion, an issue with this set?

Thanks in advance,

DC
post #288 of 3684 Old 03-04-2010, 05:52 PM

I didn't notice any smearing.

Yes the motion flow can be turned off. It even has it's own selection on the top tier menu so it is always one button click away.

Also for the guy that wanted to know about the costco wireless adapter... er what? Not sure what you are asking.

I am also doing my best to try that lag timer test thingy.

EDIT: hey the TV powered it self down again when I left the room so it was the sensor. The sound was still playing this time, the screen instantly comes on when you walk into the room.
post #289 of 3684 Old 03-04-2010, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I didn't notice any smearing.

Yes the motion flow can be turned off. It even has it's own selection on the top tier menu so it is always one button click away.

Also for the guy that wanted to know about the costco wireless adapter... er what? Not sure what you are asking.

I am also doing my best to try that lag timer test thingy.

EDIT: hey the TV powered it self down again when I left the room so it was the sensor. The sound was still playing this time, the screen instantly comes on when you walk into the room.

Yeah I thought that was a pretty cool feature. I think it's set to 30 mins out of the box, so since we're pretty still through 2 hour movies, I changed mine to about 3 hours before it goes off.

The wireless adapter for the TV is $80USD. It's on the SonyStyle.com website. One thing I haven't figured out yet though, does it have to be the Sony branded one or will any wireless usb work?
post #290 of 3684 Old 03-05-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:

I was just curious who else got the Costco bundle, and was using the Sony Wireless adapter that came with it. I was haveing some pretty crappy Netflix streaming quality, and was curious if it was a bandwidth issue with the adaper or the set. My PS3 in the other room hardwired does not look as bad.

Quote:

The wireless adapter for the TV is $80USD. It's on the SonyStyle.com website. One thing I haven't figured out yet though, does it have to be the Sony branded one or will any wireless usb work?

Yes, this is the one, but it has no specs on wheather it N or DualN. I can confirm it is N, but still not sure about DualN. No manual or support on Sony site for that model number yet. manual that came with it also does not specify.

Dedicated 5370 sqft Theater for Movies, Music and Gaming.
Sony VPL-VW60 @ 110"
Denon AVR-4308CI
Miller & Kreisel (M&K) S-150 7.1
post #291 of 3684 Old 03-05-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:

You don't have to use the Sony one. You can use any one that works with your wireless network. For example, if you have a wireless G router, get your self a wireless G USB adapter. It doesn't even need to be the same brand as your router. A wireless N adapter will work with a wireless G router as well but you won't see any improvement in transfer speeds. Buying an N adapter though could be a smart thing to do if you plan to upgrade to a wireless N router at some point to take advantage of the higher transfer speeds. N adapters cost quite a bit more than G units though.

$80 is WAY too much to pay for a wireless USB adapter if it's a G (not sure if the Sony one you mention is G or N)....you can get them for a 1/3 of that or even less. I recently bought a new, sealed D-link rangebooster wireless G adapter for $21 CDN shipped off eBay.

I'm not up to par on everything Sony will be offering media wise with the various services they will have for us in Canada but if Hi-Def streaming content will be available and you plan to take advantage of that you will definitely want a wireless N setup........G can be too slow to handle some of that bandwidth.
post #292 of 3684 Old 03-05-2010, 09:01 AM

For those of you that purchased the KDL40EX701, can you please post the Costco item number?

Thanks,

Douglas
post #293 of 3684 Old 03-06-2010, 07:48 AM

Anyone come across a good review of the EX700?

If so, could you post the link?
post #294 of 3684 Old 03-06-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YokohamaGaijin View Post

Anyone come across a good review of the EX700?

If so, could you post the link?

Here is one for the NX series. I think that would probably be comparable enough to get an idea.
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...?tag=mncol;lst
post #295 of 3684 Old 03-06-2010, 04:16 PM

Hey for those that have the Sony Wireless USB adapter. If the model number is UWA-BR100, it is 802.11a/b/g and 802.11n compatible.
post #296 of 3684 Old 03-06-2010, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought I would post this here since there was talk of the panel used in the EX700. This is the EX501. Is it the same or different than the EX700? Anybody care to guess? Is this maybe a Sharp panel? There was pictures of the EX700 a few pages back in this thread. Thanks for any help.
LL
post #297 of 3684 Old 03-06-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasM View Post

For those of you that purchased the KDL40EX701, can you please post the Costco item number?

Thanks,

Douglas

Found it online: 860701
post #298 of 3684 Old 03-06-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb1921 View Post

I thought I would post this here since there was talk of the panel used in the EX700. This is the EX501. Is it the same or different than the EX700? Anybody care to guess? Is this maybe a Sharp panel? There was pictures of the EX700 a few pages back in this thread. Thanks for any help.

From the pics posted earlier of the EX700 I would have no trouble saying they both use the same panel and given what we know the UV2A pixel structure looks like, I don't think it's a stretch to believe they are using UV2A.

EX700:

post #299 of 3684 Old 03-06-2010, 06:57 PM

Actually those look totally different. The EX700 actually looks like older Sharp panels. Just look at which order the colors are in. And the spacing between the sub-pixels is different too.
post #300 of 3684 Old 03-06-2010, 07:24 PM

Location: Jupiter, FL, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Known Universe
The 60" panel on the ex/nx 500/700/800 appears to be sharp x-gen most likely from the posted pixel closeups. The smaller panels may be sharp x-gen or a mix with s-pva depending on size. I purchased a 60" ex700 from cleveland plasma and I will be happy not to have a s-pva (and all the clouding and flashlights) like I have on my otherwise excellent toshiba 52xf550u.

From my research UV2A appears to be a technology for panel manufacture and may or may not be involved with the x-gen panel but probably not.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Ex 700 Series 32 Inch Led Tv Black Kdl 32ex700 , Sony Bravia 40 Inch Kdl40nx700 Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Ex700 Series 60 Inch Lcd With Led Back Lighting Hdtv Kdl 60ex700
Gear in this thread - Ex700 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page