The Official KDL....EX700 Thread - Page 121 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3601 of 3682 Old 04-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Yep, noticed my clock got reset last week sometime. So I checked and it was at the new firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3682 Old 04-19-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

System Software Update Release Date 4/13/2012 Version 4.110 File Size 32.07 MB Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version 4.110) provides the following benefits:
Improvements over version 4.107:

Improved performance and stability of Internet features.

It's nice to know Sony is still doing updates. They're not perfect, but I'll stick with them. I would buy another 32EX700.
post #3603 of 3682 Old 04-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

It's nice to know Sony is still doing updates. They're not perfect, but I'll stick with them. I would buy another 32EX700.

I'm still enjoying my 60EX700 from the exchange program.
post #3604 of 3682 Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

I'm still enjoying my 60EX700 from the exchange program.

Absolutely. My 52EX700 is easily the best TV I've ever owned. I'm not comparing it to any current offering, but as far as any TV from the same model year or before, I'd put it up against any of them for performance and value. I hope it lasts a lot longer than my SXRD did I'm hoping for at least 10 years, if not more.

As far as sticking with Sony goes, that depends quite a bit on what direction they take their tv business in. If they auction off their nameplate and don't put any of their own R&D and design into their sets (which they apparently have already done on future low end sets), then I don't see the point. But if they keep innovating (e.g. their crystal LED concept sets), I'm willing to pay a premium for a well-executed product.

You know, when my 52EX700 is no longer enough for me, or when it dies

All that said, I wish they would update the netflix interface up to the newest specs, or at least enable subtitles.

Calm the muddy water, it becomes clear.
post #3605 of 3682 Old 04-25-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweflen View Post

Absolutely. My 52EX700 is easily the best TV I've ever owned. I'm not comparing it to any current offering, but as far as any TV from the same model year or before, I'd put it up against any of them for performance and value. I hope it lasts a lot longer than my SXRD did I'm hoping for at least 10 years, if not more.

As far as sticking with Sony goes, that depends quite a bit on what direction they take their tv business in. If they auction off their nameplate and don't put any of their own R&D and design into their sets (which they apparently have already done on future low end sets), then I don't see the point. But if they keep innovating (e.g. their crystal LED concept sets), I'm willing to pay a premium for a well-executed product.

All that said, I wish they would update the netflix interface up to the newest specs, or at least enable subtitles.

Agreed about staying loyal to the brand proving they maintain quality and innovation. The EX701 was enough for me until I grabbed an 55HX729 for 1/2 price over Black Friday w/e. That was crazy and I couldn't resist.

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #3606 of 3682 Old 04-25-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans View Post

Agreed about staying loyal to the brand proving they maintain quality and innovation. The EX701 was enough for me until I grabbed an 55HX729 for 1/2 price over Black Friday w/e. That was crazy and I couldn't resist.

Definitely envious! The 729 has been reviewed really well. Congrats

post #3607 of 3682 Old 04-25-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Definitely envious! The 729 has been reviewed really well. Congrats

Some 729's like all LED LCD TVs have had issues but I was pretty lucky. $1399 @ 36 months no interest was irresistible. But it meant a new 3D enabled receiver etc etc...you know how it goes. But it's mostly paid for, I shouldn't have, but this is the forum where people really understand!

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #3608 of 3682 Old 04-25-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Some 729's like all LED LCD TVs have had issues but I was pretty lucky. $1399 @ 36 months no interest was irresistible. But it meant a new 3D enabled receiver etc etc...you know how it goes. But it's mostly paid for, I shouldn't have, but this is the forum where people really understand!

I know what you mean. I wanted to upgrade to an EX729 but couldn't swing it. I gave my sister my XBR9 when I bought my EX700. Then my mother needed a TV but only wanted to spend $250. I got her one, but it wasn't a Sony. She still regrets that decision. A lot of "why doesn't it do...." at first. Now she knows better. All you need is good vision to appreciate a good picture. But like you said, a new 7.1 AVR and Blu-ray really sort of helps. I still may talk her into taking my EX700 so I can get a EX729. Things change.
post #3609 of 3682 Old 04-25-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know what you mean. I wanted to upgrade to an EX729 but couldn't swing it. I gave my sister my XBR9 when I bought my EX700. Then my mother needed a TV but only wanted to spend $250. I got her one, but it wasn't a Sony. She still regrets that decision. A lot of "why doesn't it do...." at first. Now she knows better. All you need is good vision to appreciate a good picture. But like you said, a new 7.1 AVR and Blu-ray really sort of helps. I still may talk her into taking my EX700 so I can get a EX729. Things change.

The HX729 has been replaced by the HX750

post #3610 of 3682 Old 04-25-2012, 11:03 PM

Liked: 10
I am currently using a Comcast Motorola DCH 6200 HD box and HDMI cable for my local HD channels and also have the option to use the QAM tuner on my 52EX700.

I can't really tell much difference in the picture quality between the 2, and I was wondering if one might be better then the other?

Thanks.
post #3611 of 3682 Old 04-26-2012, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdstu View Post

I am currently using a Comcast Motorola DCH 6200 HD box and HDMI cable for my local HD channels and also have the option to use the QAM tuner on my 52EX700.

I can't really tell much difference in the picture quality between the 2, and I was wondering if one might be better then the other?

Thanks.

The difference is money. You rent the box, right? So it's not free. BUT! It might be cheaper to keep the box if it's part of a "package". If you send it back the cost of your service may increase more than the offset of box cost. You will have to read your cable bill or call your local office.

Obviously you have to decide if you are married to the Comcast guide and channel numbers. And double check the lineup to see what you will lose without the box. I get 26 analog and 120 digital channels without a box, 20 in HD. My TiVo with a cable card gets 200+ in HD. Some of the HD isn't so good.

PQ is subjective. You get your local stations in HD without the box. Since you have HD service you may lose some cable only HD channels without the box. Also, the remote is subjective. I bought a remote used by the XBR9 since the EX700 remote was too "busy" for me.

All cable is local. OTA signals can span a region, cable can vary within a zipcode. Good luck.
post #3612 of 3682 Old 05-05-2012, 08:30 AM

Liked: 12
After reading several posts on the forums sayting that Netflix is now providing 5.1 audio for their streaming service I called and asked if I could get it on my EX700. They said that the video quality option needed to be set to the Good setting which they did while I was on the phone with them and that would allow me to get 5.1. So I went a loaded Rango which I know is in 5.1 and all I get is stereo so I loaded a concert video that I also know to be 5.1 and still no 5.1. I have the optical out of the EX700 connected to a Denon 2809 with the audio settings in the Denon set to Auto as the only options are PCM, DTS and Auto. I tried DTS but no sound came out. Is there another way to get audio for the streaming features other than the optical out from the TV? Also I have been looking at putting a 70" Sharp in my family room and noticed several of their models do not have optical or coax audio out. How do you get audio for Netflix through the receiver if their is no digital audio out? As always thanks for the help. By the way at the good video setting for Netflix the picture is terrible.
post #3613 of 3682 Old 05-05-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarnut View Post

After reading several posts on the forums sayting that Netflix is now providing 5.1 audio for their streaming service I called and asked if I could get it on my EX700. They said that the video quality option needed to be set to the Good setting which they did while I was on the phone with them and that would allow me to get 5.1. So I went a loaded Rango which I know is in 5.1 and all I get is stereo so I loaded a concert video that I also know to be 5.1 and still no 5.1. I have the optical out of the EX700 connected to a Denon 2809 with the audio settings in the Denon set to Auto as the only options are PCM, DTS and Auto. I tried DTS but no sound came out. Is there another way to get audio for the streaming features other than the optical out from the TV? Also I have been looking at putting a 70" Sharp in my family room and noticed several of their models do not have optical or coax audio out. How do you get audio for Netflix through the receiver if their is no digital audio out? As always thanks for the help. By the way at the good video setting for Netflix the picture is terrible.

From any HDMI input or tuner, if the input is 5.1, the optical output is 5.1. Also I could never find any network streaming content that was 5.1, but that was a while back. I can compare the BDP-S570 to the EX700 if you know of a test location on the XBR. Even with Amazon and 15Mbs cable, I never saw 5.1 during the trial period.

Does your receiver support ARC? That should allow 5.1 if it is present.
post #3614 of 3682 Old 05-05-2012, 10:12 AM

I have the Sony 40 inch LED TV. It is connected using a Binary B210 video switch via HDMI. From there, a CAT5 ethernet cable is going to a balun and then HDMI from balun to TV.

I have both a Sony DVD player and Apple TV2 and now Apple TV3 that work without any issue on a 720p or 1080i signal to the EX720. However, only with Satellite TV and now FibeTV or ipTV does it cause an issue with a 720p or 1080i signal. It flashes/blinks as I'm watching the TV. It does this sometimes constantly and sometimes every few seconds. Again, only with the signal from the television. I know it's not the cable box as I had satellite TV there a few days ago and now made the switch to ipTV. Both HDTV receivers cause the same issue with flash/blink. I have tried a different port on the Binary B210 video matris (it's a 4x4 switch) and I have tried a different HDMI cable from HDTV box(es) to video matrix. The same setup/cables works okay from the same HDMI input (HDMI2 being used) for Apple TV and my Sony Bluray player. I get no blinking/flashing whatsoever. This same setup is being shared by a larger 60 inch Pioneer (PRO1540HD) plasma TV and the TV signal to that TV works without any blinking/flashing. Hard to point to anything really when the setup works save the TV signal being sent to the Sony EX720. Note, if I set the ipTV receiver box to standard 480, then the blink/flash disappears.

Any ideas/thoughts plz.
post #3615 of 3682 Old 05-05-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStanic View Post

I have the Sony 40 inch LED TV. It is connected using a Binary B210 video switch via HDMI. From there, a CAT5 ethernet cable is going to a balun and then HDMI from balun to TV.

I have both a Sony DVD player and Apple TV2 and now Apple TV3 that work without any issue on a 720p or 1080i signal to the EX720. However, only with Satellite TV and now FibeTV or ipTV does it cause an issue with a 720p or 1080i signal. It flashes/blinks as I'm watching the TV. It does this sometimes constantly and sometimes every few seconds. Again, only with the signal from the television. I know it's not the cable box as I had satellite TV there a few days ago and now made the switch to ipTV. Both HDTV receivers cause the same issue with flash/blink. I have tried a different port on the Binary B210 video matris (it's a 4x4 switch) and I have tried a different HDMI cable from HDTV box(es) to video matrix. The same setup/cables works okay from the same HDMI input (HDMI2 being used) for Apple TV and my Sony Bluray player. I get no blinking/flashing whatsoever. This same setup is being shared by a larger 60 inch Pioneer (PRO1540HD) plasma TV and the TV signal to that TV works without any blinking/flashing. Hard to point to anything really when the setup works save the TV signal being sent to the Sony EX720. Note, if I set the ipTV receiver box to standard 480, then the blink/flash disappears.

Any ideas/thoughts plz.

Perhaps the EX720 thread can help?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1334479
post #3616 of 3682 Old 05-06-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The EX700 does not support 5.1 audio with Netflix. It only support 720p/DD2.0 with Netflix. Being an out-of-production TV, I doubt if Sony will update anything.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #3617 of 3682 Old 05-29-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

From the "I still love my EX700" files:

I spent a long weekend playing with my brother in law's Vizio E3D470VX. It's a CCFL set with passive 3D and internet features. I was surprised at how bad this set, which is from about 6 months ago, performed with many of the basics. I knew it would have a lackluster black level going in. But that didn't excuse its awful (and undefeatable AFAIK) black crush, terrible menu system, awful remote, and sluggish performance on internet features. The set took half a minute to "boot," features like Netflix and Hulu were slow as molasses and plagued by annoying interstitial screens, and no matter what picture preset I? tweaked, I could not get an acceptable gamma response in dark areas of the image. There was no gamma control, either. The 3D was OK, but didn't have me salivating to buy a new set by any means.

Say whatever else you want about Sony, but they can make a TV that works well and has features that don't make you want to tear your hair out. The EX700 has a smooth and efficient menu system (I will never complain about waiting for it to boot up again!), decent if dated performance on its internet features, and superb shadow detail.

post #3618 of 3682 Old 05-29-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From the "I still love my EX700" files:

I spent a long weekend playing with my brother in law's Vizio E3D470VX. It's a CCFL set with passive 3D and internet features. I was surprised at how bad this set, which is from about 6 months ago, performed with many of the basics. I knew it would have a lackluster black level going in. But that didn't excuse its awful (and undefeatable AFAIK) black crush, terrible menu system, awful remote, and sluggish performance on internet features. The set took half a minute to "boot," features like Netflix and Hulu were slow as molasses and plagued by annoying interstitial screens, and no matter what picture preset I? tweaked, I could not get an acceptable gamma response in dark areas of the image. There was no gamma control, either. The 3D was OK, but didn't have me salivating to buy a new set by any means.

Say whatever else you want about Sony, but they can make a TV that works well and has features that don't make you want to tear your hair out. The EX700 has a smooth and efficient menu system (I will never complain about waiting for it to boot up again!), decent if dated performance on its internet features, and superb shadow detail.

When I bought my XBR9 I gave my mother my older Sony. When I bought my EX700 I gave my XBR9 to my sister. One day my mother's other set died, so she asked me to go to Walmart and get her a new TV but not spend too much money. I got her a $250 [name omitted]. After a few days she said the new TV sucks. I said you get what you pay for. I would buy a new Sony without reservations today. Sony has gone through many updates, but they are not big enough for me to update. I will wait for 4k, and praise my EX700 to anyone who will listen.

Details to me are viewing a black suit and being able to see the lapels. If you can't see them, calibrate or regret the choice.

The world's not perfect though: I still use the XBR9 remote.
post #3619 of 3682 Old 05-29-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The world's not perfect though: I still use the XBR9 remote.

I like the EX700 clicker, but I understand liking the XBR9 remote better. It has the same dimensions and layout as the SXRD A2000 remote I had.

But both are about a billion times better than the Vizio's remote. The d-pad is awful and the buttons are tiny.

post #3620 of 3682 Old 05-30-2012, 03:40 AM

I just got a Harmony one remote does any one have the hex code to change the speakers from internal to audio system for the ex700 or know of a way to output 5.1 out from the Optical Toslink
post #3621 of 3682 Old 05-30-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

I agree with you. I have had my 46V5100 for 2 years and I havent had a single issue and I am hopeing it lasts another 10 years. I have been and always will be a Sony loyalist and thats why alot of my electronics are Sony. Its sad what has happened to them but I think they will bounce back and with a new CEO I think they are headed in the right direction. Also I doubt they will sell off their name plate. I will stick with Sony no matter what. Congrats on your tv by the way, its a nice one for sure.
post #3622 of 3682 Old 05-30-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxed View Post

I just got a Harmony one remote does any one have the hex code to change the speakers from internal to audio system for the ex700 or know of a way to output 5.1 out from the Optical Toslink

The optical output will be the same as the content for all inputs, including the tuner. In other words, it will be 5.1 if you feed the TV 5.1. However, I don't know how it would treat the audio if the internal speakers are enabled since I have never used them.
post #3623 of 3682 Old 05-31-2012, 04:08 AM

the only way I can get 5.1 to output is to go into options then speakers then select audio system I use the tv speakers for day to day watching but the surround for movies
post #3624 of 3682 Old 05-31-2012, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxed View Post

the only way I can get 5.1 to output is to go into options then speakers then select audio system I use the tv speakers for day to day watching but the surround for movies

That seems correct. Your TV is, I'm pretty sure, 2.1.

post #3625 of 3682 Old 05-31-2012, 04:51 AM

What I'm asking is does anyone have the hex code for a speaker toggle
post #3626 of 3682 Old 05-31-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That seems correct. Your TV is, I'm pretty sure, 2.1.

I'm pretty sure you will need a receiver or AVR to get that ".1" to drive the subwoofer.
post #3627 of 3682 Old 05-31-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm pretty sure you will need a receiver or AVR to get that ".1" to drive the subwoofer.

You're correct but on my 55HX729, when I inadvertently used my internal TV speakers, my Bravia STR-DG820 receiver displayed 2.1. Go figure... Anyway, adjust your BD audio settings.

post #3628 of 3682 Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're correct but on my 55HX729, when I inadvertently used my internal TV speakers, my Bravia STR-DG820 receiver displayed 2.1. Go figure... Anyway, adjust your BD audio settings.

I stand corrected. The content will still come out the optical even if it's used while internal speakers are active. I never tried that. It's confusing, but I trust your receiver. I don't have time to test the operation on a EX700, but someone may do it.

My BDP-S570 feeds a Yamaha RX-V867. [nicely] I wouldn't know where to find 2.1 content. All I ever see from the TV is 2.0 or 5.1 (no ARC or CEC).
post #3629 of 3682 Old 08-10-2012, 07:13 PM

I noticed there was a firmware update. Its now up to 4.112 (from 7/21/2012)

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=KDL60EX700&upd_id=7754&os_group_id=18
post #3630 of 3682 Old 09-03-2012, 01:52 PM

ihave 52EX701. after 1 yr of use, the tv is dead.. the power button started blinking 5 times, then stops then repeats itself
called sony and they are telling me they cant help me because its out of warranty
i cant believe that tv would fail after a year.this is just ridiculous...
any body else having same problem? i think im gonna start looking around for people with the same problem and who knows, i feel another sham tv sold here
this reminds me of my XBR1
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Ex 700 Series 32 Inch Led Tv Black Kdl 32ex700 , Sony Bravia 40 Inch Kdl40nx700 Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Ex700 Series 60 Inch Lcd With Led Back Lighting Hdtv Kdl 60ex700
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page