Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokks View Post

Tell me about it but I want to get something that I will be at least 80% happy with when I am about to spend about 3 grand. I got to say though that I am learning a lot through this process though. coming from a 46XBR4 I sometimes feel lost with this flashlighting, glossy screens, clouding that I never really realized till I decided to upgrade my TV. Sometimes I say to my self I should not have discovered this forum then I will not be picky...lol

The important thing to remember is that, for the most part, people that never have issues with their TVs don't search for forums to post on. So, for every negative post there are many more people that are perfectly happy with their TV.

I like the design of the EX700, but am no-longer keen on edge-lit TVs due to the potential for uniformity issues and flashing. That's why i am going for the backlit 2010 Sharp LC-40SE1, though I know that in itself brings with it its own potential. But, if i worry too much about the potential problems then I'd never buy the damn TV. lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
3rd time is the charm! No flashlighting at all, no ghosting or clouds, and color looks great.
post #543 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinee View Post

Yeah right... Hollywood is all about producing works of art.

Hollywood is about money, and directors' artistic values typically lean towards what the audience would like, and would pay for more than once to view. They tell a story that hooks the audience into sticking around for a few hours, and come back again. Most people who buy these large screens don't really care about what it looks like, so long as they can see and hear well enough to follow the story. A few of us like to view a picture that wows our eyeballs, and an even smaller few really thinks about the artistic value.

And you can calibrate your set all you want.. if you want to see EXACTLY what the story teller wanted you to see, you will have to perform a calibration before viewing every movie. All movies, whether on DVD or BD, are prone to errors affecting their visual and audio acuity and accuracy during transfer to disc.

As far as many of us are concerned, the best PQ is the one that pleases us.

Umm, yeah, you see most movie production houses use the same standard, 65K for Grey to ensure that the movie being worked on looks the same on all monitors during the production cycle. So I'm not really sure what you were trying to say. If you have a problem with ISF calibration or don't really understand it, you may want to check out the forum on it.
post #544 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 10:25 AM

I'm highly interested in this TV now!!

Does anyone know if this TV support internationaly AC voltage (i.e. both 120v and 240v 50/60Hz)?

Thanks.
post #545 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHDjunkie View Post

Additionally.... Each source is different....each channel is different....each show on each channel is different. It's an exercise in futility

And that's why they developed the 65K standard as well as a color space for HD. see the link:
http://www.highdefinitionblog.com/?page_id=77
post #546 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YokohamaGaijin View Post

The important thing to remember is that, for the most part, people that never have issues with their TVs don't search for forums to post on. So, for every negative post there are many more people that are perfectly happy with their TV.

I like the design of the EX700, but am no-longer keen on edge-lit TVs due to the potential for uniformity issues and flashing. That's why i am going for the backlit 2010 Sharp LC-40SE1, though I know that in itself brings with it its own potential. But, if i worry too much about the potential problems then I'd never buy the damn TV. lol.

Yeah I think buying an Edge Lit is a gamble. can't deal with the hassle of returning the TV if it has the flashlight and uniformity issue. I was set on Sony then after reading the known issues I was looking towards a Samsung but now I might have a look at the Sharp you mentioned. I have a feeling I will have to look a back lit tv...with that said I might have to wait for the HX or LX models and hopefully i can afford one of them.
post #547 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 10:38 AM

I think all 2010 Sharp sets in the US are going to be Edge Lit sets.

Sony is dead.
post #548 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy bear View Post

I think all 2010 Sharp sets in the US are going to be Edge Lit sets.

Oh thanks throw another wrench in my search....lol
post #549 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh thanks throw another wrench in my search....lol

Check out costco. they are listing a LED backlit set on their site
post #550 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post

Check out costco. they are listing a LED backlit set on their site

Only thing is that I am stuck with going to Best buy as I do have a gift card from there.
post #551 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Only thing is that I am stuck with going to Best buy as I do have a gift card from there.

BB price matches local stores. I assume that is costco if you have one.
post #552 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 11:37 AM

I've found this thread very helpful so I thought I'd leave some feedback on the 60" set that my wife and I purchased this past weekend. We decided last month to replace our old tv with a new LCD, and after a lot of research we settled on the Samsung 52 inch B750 series. I was very impressed with the picture, but had some pretty bad lip sync issues. Even with our receiver's audio delay maxed out there was still a visible issue. We had Geek Squad come out and they recommended exchanging the tv. When we took it back to the store they were all out of that particular model and didn't even have any left at the warehouse, so we decided to try the 55" version of Samsung's B6000 series LED set. I knew of the issues that people were having but the model they had set up in the store looked impressive so we decided to take a chance. When we got the tv home and set it up we were shocked by how bad the backlighting issues really were. There were extremely bright spots in all four corners that extended nearly to the center of the screen along with 3 large spots in various other parts of the screen. Trying to watch anything at night or trying to watch dark movies was pointless. Large areas of the screen were completely washed out. So after more research we decided on the Sony.
I am extremely pleased with this tv so far. While the screen might not be perfectly uniform, it is soooooooo much better than the Samsung. The right side of the screen is just a hair lighter when looking at an all black screen in a totally dark room. It has no impact on viewing at all that I have noticed.
I am not an expert on picture quality by any means, but I don't notice any blue tint to the blacks like some have. I also much prefer the mat finish on this screen to the glossy screen of the samsungs, it is much less reflective.
Some hav also complained about gaming lag on this set, but it is not nearly as noticable as it was on the Samsungs. Turning the motion processing off seems to help.
I think most people will be extremely happy with these TVs.
post #553 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 11:45 AM

thanks for sharing your story!

Can't wait for the 27th. Hopefully 1 of the costcos around me will have a 46" ex701 next saturday.
post #554 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 12:27 PM

Location: Jupiter, FL, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Known Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump View Post

Second, does anyone happen to know what PC resolutions the EX700 tv's support, I can't seem to find that information on the web???

I just hooked my pc up for the first time and was happy to confirm what I thought. It actually supports 1080p through regular pc-vga input which is the first time I have had a tv support this high a resolution without using hdmi or dvi. I am happy because it saves an hdmi input for other use plus I have had issues with other TVs losing the sound on a separate connection paired with an hdmi.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
post #555 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 12:56 PM

After having this set for nearly a week, I have mixed feelings.

First, this replaces a 5 year old Sony KDF-60XS955 (60" RPLCD, 720p). The increase in resolution is nice, and the difference in contrast is amazing. There is also less noticeable screen door effect.

However, my old set was far superior in motion fidelity. The new unit is very susceptible to motion blur. I can't stand what motionflow does to the picture(though I'm not entirely sure exactly what cinemotion does), so I generally turn it off. When it's off, the motion blur, in comparison to my old set, is really off-putting.

I also notice that almost everything I watch has some sort of "texture", for lack of a better word. I see it in certain video games, and I see it in various compressed sources. Basically, compression artifacts are more glaring on this set than on my old one, which is unfortunate. Watching charter cable(which still has a high number of analog channels) is now more painful than it was before.

I have been fortunate in that I have seen no evidence of flashlighting. Lighting is not completely uniform; the upper left of the screen is fractionally brighter than the other areas, but is only visible on totally black screens(turning off my ps3 for example) when my room has all its lights off. In other words, the uniformity issue, so far, cannot be observed when actually watching tv.

I also must say that I notice no lag while gaming. That's not to say it's not there, just that I have not noticed it yet. I typically don't play fps's online, and don't like fighting games without a nice stick, so input lag has not been critical yet. I do, however, play a good bit of rockband and I'm concerned with how well it plays.

OVerall, I'm happy with the increase in resolution and contrast, but that old Sony set was superior when not watching bluray or gaming.
post #556 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhite79 View Post

BB price matches local stores. I assume that is costco if you have one.

Yeah we do have a couple in Calgary. Plus i have a hook up at the bb I shop at where I can get about 200 to 300 off the retail price. now it is a matter of finding the best TV.
post #557 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 02:13 PM

I have tried streaming video from my windows 7 computer with both the tv and computer wired into the network and the video quality is very poor! The video doesn't fill the screen unless you use one of there stretch modes and even with blu-ray disk rips or even hd tv shows the quality is worse then watching a standard def youtube video.

Is this with all the sony led tv's? Has anyone got the dlna streaming to work with good results?
post #558 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goetz View Post

I have tried streaming video from my windows 7 computer with both the tv and computer wired into the network and the video quality is very poor! The video doesn't fill the screen unless you use one of there stretch modes and even with blu-ray disk rips or even hd tv shows the quality is worse then watching a standard def youtube video.

Is this with all the sony led tv's? Has anyone got the dlna streaming to work with good results?

I'm playing 1080P video file from USB and it looks amazing. Check your settings
post #559 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKM74 View Post

I'm playing 1080P video file from USB and it looks amazing. Check your settings

What kind of file are you playing with the usb port? I've tried a couple different avi files with the usb and the tv says there are no items to display.
post #560 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 03:03 PM

Try M2TS or any AVCHD encoded files (including MP4). Keep in mind. Unlike older remote controllers, colored buttons on this remote actually working. For example: if you use “internet video” future, then yellow and blue buttons work as zoom in/zoom out. Just stream some channels from internet, and try it.
post #561 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 04:09 PM

internet video works fine. The problem I'm having is streaming my videos from my pc to the tv. I've tried streaming .mp4 and m2ts but the picture quality look worse then the youtube internet video on the set. I don't have a usb drive big enough for the .mp4 and m2ts files but all of my avi files don't show up with the usb drive.

Has anyone tried streaming a video file to the tv?
post #562 of 3684 Old 03-18-2010, 05:26 PM

Location: Jupiter, FL, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Known Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ray View Post

I also notice that almost everything I watch has some sort of "texture", for lack of a better word. I see it in certain video games, and I see it in various compressed sources. Basically, compression artifacts are more glaring on this set than on my old one, which is unfortunate. Watching charter cable(which still has a high number of analog channels) is now more painful than it was before.

I feel your pain. Now with the better picture quality of the TV I can see how bad the compressed Comcast image is. I don't really blame the TV though, although maybe a better image processor could cover it up a little. It is amazing how bad the cable HD image quality is.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
post #563 of 3684 Old 03-19-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I can say for sure that my third set is a winner. Having come from mainly watching plasma I can for sure that this set is on par with a 2008 and maybe a 2009 Panasonic Plasma as far as black levels. Color is also very good and blu rays look great.

This set is not very forgiving when it comes to compression artifacts making cable look awful. CNN is a mess but American Idol is pretty good picture wise.
post #564 of 3684 Old 03-19-2010, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecraw View Post

I feel your pain. Now with the better picture quality of the TV I can see how bad the compressed Comcast image is. I don't really blame the TV though, although maybe a better image processor could cover it up a little. It is amazing how bad the cable HD image quality is.

Make sure you turn off all the advanced settings on it, it helps IQ a lot, and decrease sharpness to below 10.

My Home Theater
post #565 of 3684 Old 03-19-2010, 09:48 AM

i sure hope i made the right choice buying a kdl 46 ex700 after reading all the reviews. cant wait for 30th march thats when my tv arrives!
post #566 of 3684 Old 03-19-2010, 09:58 AM

i am waiting for the hx900 to come out... do any of you think it's worth getting the EX line to save money vs waiting for the hx900?
post #567 of 3684 Old 03-19-2010, 10:49 AM

maybe i will check out the nx800 tonight @ the sony store....

i am waiting for the HX900 due to the local dimming and backlit led's.... is it worth it to go to the NX line? i am looking for the largest size possible in any line... 52hx, 60ex/nx
post #568 of 3684 Old 03-19-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post

3rd time is the charm! No flashlighting at all, no ghosting or clouds, and color looks great.

im gonna be mad if mine is bad and I have to take it back. how is the "blues" that they talk about on cnet?
post #569 of 3684 Old 03-19-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhite79 View Post

im gonna be mad if mine is bad and I have to take it back. how is the "blues" that they talk about on cnet?

The blues aren't too bad. It's not awful by any stretch and the blacks are better than my 700 series Panny Plasma
post #570 of 3684 Old 03-19-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I understand motion flow adds interplation to the video. What about cinema mode auto 1 vs auto 2? any insight?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Ex 700 Series 32 Inch Led Tv Black Kdl 32ex700 , Sony Bravia 40 Inch Kdl40nx700 Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Ex700 Series 60 Inch Lcd With Led Back Lighting Hdtv Kdl 60ex700
Gear in this thread - Ex700 by PriceGrabber.com