Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3682 Old 03-24-2010, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullnrose View Post

Quick question I'm using an external sound bar Sony HT-CT500 and have the TV set to external speakers but every time I turn the TV on it pops up a message that it's switching audio to external speakers. Is there anyway to avoid this?

I'd like to know too. I have no audio source going into the TV so I have it set to external speakers (on my old SONY CRT rear projection I could just turn them off) and I get a message a lot that the TV is checking the connection to the external speakers. Eventually, when I get a router and can actually use the internet features, I'll have an optical out from the TV to my receiver, but for now nothing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3682 Old 03-24-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXT View Post

Edit: Anyone perform the firmware upgrade yet? I'm always weary of firmware upgrades on these high ticket items...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullnrose View Post

I didn't know there was a firmware update. What do you need to do to update it?

I have it connected to my network wired and/or wireless speeds and quality seem similar but I'm not sure it's as good as my Roku I'll continue to compare them and post back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-2 View Post

Same result with Win7 here. Then, I've read this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18325281
and I'm happy now with WMS. EX308 and EX700 have the same firmware, so I recommend WMS for EX700 owners.

I just noticed that there's a new Firmware as of 3/17 - nto sure if anyone knew that b/c I only new of the initial one involving the clock and TVGuide issues. This one, "Improves performance and stability of IPTV (Internet Protocol TV) features.
Note: IPTV allows you to enjoy HD (High Definition) programming from the Internet on your BRAVIA television that is connected to a broadband Internet connection. "

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...mdl=KDL52EX700
post #633 of 3682 Old 03-24-2010, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
anybody have any clouding issues? i have a bit in the upper left corner.
post #634 of 3682 Old 03-24-2010, 12:52 PM

I've had my BB purchased 46EX700 for two weeks. Love it. My Dad just got the 46EX701. Helped him hook it up. It looked great and the two both look and operate in fine form so far. I had no idea Costco was selling them when I made my purchase, he had no idea what I got when he called me just
before purchasing his

Having read this thread extensively, it was easy to say grab it, good job!!
I just wanted a good look at the all black version (nice) and that wifi adapter

Could anyone please recommend a safe and effective screen cleaning process?
The screens were smooth and clean out of the box, but sooner or later...
Also I have a Mac, and having yet to establish an internet connection with my EX700 was wondering if the Sony is PC based or does it even matter...

Also, no clouding issues so far. I'm looking all the time, still within 30 days and had to return
two sets previously with that problem. Safe to say I'm paranoid but have to admit, the picture is
strong, the screen construction great these past two weeks or so.
post #635 of 3682 Old 03-24-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo129 View Post

Anyone come up with any more Wi-Fi dongles that work/don't work? I've had my TV for a couple weeks and have yet to be able to check out the internet viedo features. I can't take it! I'm going to have to hardwire it in I think.

I bought a used Apple Airport Express and wired it to the TV. $50-$60 used and it extend my wi-fi network at home as well.
post #636 of 3682 Old 03-24-2010, 01:55 PM

My KDL-60EX700 ordered from Crutchfield just arrived yesterday. The picture looks pretty impressive right out of the box with all default settings. Will go play with picture settings this weekend.

The internet video section crashed on me last night. It only showed Netflix and a scrambled interface. Switching on and off the TV didn't help, is there a way to "reboot" the TV besides unplugging it?

This morning that crashed screen went away but all the internet TV features are gone and with a option to refresh the content. However, it fail to connect to somewhere to update the content.
post #637 of 3682 Old 03-24-2010, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There's a new firmware update that came out a few days ago. It says it fixes something regarding Internet Video. Here's a link: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...mdl=KDL60EX700
post #638 of 3682 Old 03-24-2010, 06:04 PM

Have a question on Netflix movies over the internet. When you are viewing netflix movies can you adjust the picture size to get rid of the black bars on the sides on Sony EX series? Have Samsung cannot adjust when viewing Netflix, only when viewing cable/sat. I am thinking about switching to Sony 46EX701 from Costco.
post #639 of 3682 Old 03-24-2010, 06:30 PM

Are the viewing angles of the 60EX700 better or worse than the viewing angles of the 55V5100?
post #640 of 3682 Old 03-24-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixmation View Post

I bought a used Apple Airport Express and wired it to the TV. $50-$60 used and it extend my wi-fi network at home as well.

How'd you do this? I've been rocking the AE for 4-5 years now. There's no way that I know of to use it wired to anything.
post #641 of 3682 Old 03-24-2010, 08:45 PM

For your info I just Hung the TV on the wall with a Sanus low profile mount It leaves just enough room to plug in my connections.

I also mounted the HT-CT500 to the TV this took a little rigging as the mount for the stand looks to be exactly the same as the speaker bar mount but if you try to slide the speaker bar mount into the slot for the stand the screw holes wont line up. What I did was not use the speaker bars plastic cosmetic housing and just mount the mount to the back of the TV using the stands screw holes(They line up as long as you mount outside the slot. The finished result looks perfect and It's secure.

Not the best pics but you get the idea

post #642 of 3682 Old 03-24-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaylor69 View Post

Have a question on Netflix movies over the internet. When you are viewing netflix movies can you adjust the picture size to get rid of the black bars on the sides on Sony EX series? Have Samsung cannot adjust when viewing Netflix, only when viewing cable/sat. I am thinking about switching to Sony 46EX701 from Costco.

Using the wide mode on the TV set, you can set different kind of zoom to fill the TV screen, but then some part of the picture will get cut off. Personally I rather not zoom and see the whole frame be it SD 4x3 or 2.35:1 and deal with the black bars.

If you prefer to fill the TV screen, use the bottom option "Zoom". That will fill the screen without distorting or stretching the picture.
post #643 of 3682 Old 03-24-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:

How'd you do this? I've been rocking the AE for 4-5 years now. There's no way that I know of to use it wired to anything.

When you set the Base network to extendable, then you can have the extra Airports to join the existing network and share it's internet connection. You just need to connect the Airport Express and the TV with an ethernet cable.

My current setup is Airport Express(n) connects to DSL cable modem and set the network to extendable. 2nd Airport Express(g) plugged in behind the TV and connect with Ethernet cable. Airport Extreme(old round g) in the kitchen to extend the signal to loft at the end.

For some reason, I have to use the 802.11n to create the network, 802.11g can join and extend but cannot use it to create the network.
post #644 of 3682 Old 03-25-2010, 09:53 AM

Has anyone tried connecting a usb hub to the usb port so you can have both the wireless dongle and memory stick connected at the same time?
post #645 of 3682 Old 03-25-2010, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I just noticed that there's a new Firmware as of 3/17 - nto sure if anyone knew that b/c I only new of the initial one involving the clock and TVGuide issues. This one, "Improves performance and stability of IPTV (Internet Protocol TV) features.
Note: IPTV allows you to enjoy HD (High Definition) programming from the Internet on your BRAVIA television that is connected to a broadband Internet connection. "

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...mdl=KDL52EX700

that's odd; my tv updated itself (auto-update is turned on) to that version about a week or so ago, I noticed it at the time and went to the support website to see what the changes were but it wasn't listed there. Now it is listed...

Speaking of auto-update, I don't like the options (or at least what I can see of options). My older Sony BD player has a check for update option and notify option so I can be told when there's a new firmware and then can actively download/install it or not; but the newer tv doesn't seem to have options other than auto-update, so if you turn that off, its not clear how to update via the tv set directly.
post #646 of 3682 Old 03-25-2010, 10:27 AM

The only way you can update directly it appears is by downloading to a USB drive and installing the update off of the USB drive.
post #647 of 3682 Old 03-25-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post

I believe it's a native 1080P at that size as well. Does your PC have HDMI? Better to use that if available

Also can get a DVI to HDMI cable, got mine from monoprice.com. Best to set your PC resolution to native 1920x1080.
post #648 of 3682 Old 03-25-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argster View Post

And their comment about Netflix image quality being worse than other other streaming devices, do you see that as well? I wonder why that is if so, and would a firmware update potentially be able to improve that?

I have watched the Netflix stream from my PS3, Xbox 360 and the TV itself. So far Xbox 360 gives the best PQ.
post #649 of 3682 Old 03-25-2010, 05:54 PM

Okay, running off a 4 TB Iomega ix4-200 hard wired to the 52EX700. I can rip dvds to Mpeg2-NTSC using iskysoft DVD Ripper for the mac and stream to the TV. Problem is resolution is only 720x480. Any idea how to get a higher resolution. Although the tv sees .ts files, so far I get sound but no picture. Any ideas?
post #650 of 3682 Old 03-25-2010, 06:16 PM

Does anyone know how to disable the analog tuner? I use antenna over the air for local stations and when I enter 7, it jumps to the 7 analog channel with loud noise instead of the "found" digital channel when using auto program.
post #651 of 3682 Old 03-26-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberwalk View Post

I can rip dvds to Mpeg2-NTSC using iskysoft DVD Ripper for the mac and stream to the TV. Problem is resolution is only 720x480. Any idea how to get a higher resolution.

That's the maximum resolution of (NTSC) DVD, so I don't think you can make it any higher. The set will scale it to fill the screen though.

Quote:

Although the tv sees .ts files, so far I get sound but no picture. Any ideas?

Must be something about the video stream it doesn't like. Do you have a working MPEG2-ts that you could use for comparison? Look at them both with something like MediaInfo and see if you can spot a difference in the encoding.
post #652 of 3682 Old 03-26-2010, 03:09 AM

Quote:

Well i picked up the 60" EX700 from my local futureshop, and I must say i'm quite satisfied with the purchase! I have a 2 year old 46" Samsung lcd, and was THIS CLOSE to buying the Samsung 55" B7000 LED/LCD, but ended up getting the Sony after doing some research on it. I don't feel i'm giving up PQ for it, and I'm getting +5" viewing.

One quick question...I thought this tv had a swivel base? I haven't had the time to check out the back of the tv yet because it's already setup in the viewing spot....... I can't move it at all! Is there screw/bolt that has to be removed from the back to enable swivelling? The 60" comes with the base already attached.

Keep posting your calibration settings everyone!!!

Edit: Anyone perform the firmware upgrade yet? I'm always weary of firmware upgrades on these high ticket items...

Haven't checked out the 60", but the 40" in my local store swivels easily....though it feels REALLY unstable/shaky when swivelling. But, I don't know if that is a design issue or whether it is an issue with whoever set the TV up in the shop. It would be strange if they don't facilitate swivel on the 60"...

I'll be going to my local store this evening and will check if it's possible to swivel the 60"....assuming they haven't got it wall-mounted on display
post #653 of 3682 Old 03-26-2010, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g011um View Post

That's the maximum resolution of (NTSC) DVD, so I don't think you can make it any higher. The set will scale it to fill the screen though.

Must be something about the video stream it doesn't like. Do you have a working MPEG2-ts that you could use for comparison? Look at them both with something like MediaInfo and see if you can spot a difference in the encoding.

Thanks, just figured that out. The other step I was forgetting is to scan the media folder on the iomega to see the files--Doh. It will do it automatically, but I was not seeing the files in between the timed scans. Cannot tell you how many times I redid the encoding to figure it out.

Mpeg-2 at 720 looks pretty good to me for now. Once I get to some higher resolution movies, assuming I have any, I will take another look at the TS encoding. I have so many choices and not enough time.

The TV looks great to me out of the box, but am interested in hearing of any reliable calibration settings. Netflix is looking good as well. Of course it is hard-wired for now until it gets mounted on Monday, then I will go with the Sony wi-fi dongle, so we will see. Very happy with the purchase. Still looking to get a blu-ray at some point, but my eyesight is such that it may not be worth it.
post #654 of 3682 Old 03-26-2010, 05:16 AM

Just got my 46ex701 hooked up last night. The picture out of the box was ok, but wasn't spectacular. It definitely needed some tweeking. I can't find any flashlighting or clouding right now. Do I need to put in a really dark movie or something to find this?

Ericthemidget's initial settings may have made the colors 'correct' for my tv, but made it REALLY dull looking.

SHOULD I BUY a calibration DVD to make this tv look great? If so, which one is best? Right now i'm just messing around and its all fubar (sorta)
post #655 of 3682 Old 03-26-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:

Well i picked up the 60" EX700 from my local futureshop, and I must say i'm quite satisfied with the purchase! I have a 2 year old 46" Samsung lcd, and was THIS CLOSE to buying the Samsung 55" B7000 LED/LCD, but ended up getting the Sony after doing some research on it. I don't feel i'm giving up PQ for it, and I'm getting +5" viewing.

One quick question...I thought this tv had a swivel base? I haven't had the time to check out the back of the tv yet because it's already setup in the viewing spot....... I can't move it at all! Is there screw/bolt that has to be removed from the back to enable swivelling? The 60" comes with the base already attached.

Keep posting your calibration settings everyone!!!

I didn't see the 60", but the 52" swivels....sure you set it up correctly?
post #656 of 3682 Old 03-26-2010, 10:58 AM

I tried to update the firmware using a USB drive, I formatted it on a PC FAT32 and copied the downloaded file (unzipped) onto it. Plugged it in and got a message about cannot update from this USB device.

I left the auto update ON and for two nights it still haven't done any auto update.

Anyone has updated the firmware successfully?
post #657 of 3682 Old 03-26-2010, 10:58 AM

Location: Jupiter, FL, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Known Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by YokohamaGaijin View Post

I didn't see the 60", but the 52" swivels....sure you set it up correctly?

My 60ex700 does not appear to swivel either. I have it on a swivel platform so I don't want it to swivel so I have not tried to figure it out. The docs say that it should swivel.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
post #658 of 3682 Old 03-26-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixmation View Post

I tried to update the firmware using a USB drive, I formatted it on a PC FAT32 and copied the downloaded file (unzipped) onto it. Plugged it in and got a message about cannot update from this USB device.

I left the auto update ON and for two nights it still haven't done any auto update.

Anyone has updated the firmware successfully?

I downloaded the update and unzipped it to my desktop. When I extracted the file a folder named "sony_dtv0602000A0213_00020301" was created containing the firmware file named "00020301_00c90000.bin". I copied the folder (not just the .bin) to a 2 gig Lexar USB stick and plugged it into the TV. The TV recognized the update and immediately flashed the new FW successfully. Whole process took about 3-4 minutes at most.
post #659 of 3682 Old 03-26-2010, 12:15 PM

BTW - I picked up the 52EX700 at a Sony Style store in Cincinnati yesterday. The store is closing next week and I got a killer deal at $1,385 + tax (30% off) for a new in box set. They had one NIB left as of yesterday. They also had a couple of 55EX500s on clearance. CSR said Cleveland store was also closing - if you are in either area and are interested in either TV you might want to pay the stores a visit.
post #660 of 3682 Old 03-26-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post

anybody have any clouding issues? i have a bit in the upper left corner.

I had clouding issues/light leakage on the bottom but exchanged it and the new one is fine
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Ex 700 Series 32 Inch Led Tv Black Kdl 32ex700 , Sony Bravia 40 Inch Kdl40nx700 Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Ex700 Series 60 Inch Lcd With Led Back Lighting Hdtv Kdl 60ex700
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page