Quote:
Originally Posted by endo129 View Post

Can someone define/describe "clouding?"

Pictures speak louder than words.

Here's a nice bad example of an LCD with serious clouding problems:

twarren's Avatar twarren 08:44 AM 03-31-2010
Quote:

What DLNA server are you using on yoru Mac? Is it an Intel Mac, or Power PC?

I have an intel mac and am using the freeware dlna server from serviio.org; it is extremely easy to install and configure and works pretty well - I am using this one mainly because I wanted to do testing and it is free. It does not currently have any transcoding capabilities.
endo129's Avatar endo129 10:41 AM 03-31-2010
[quote=The Hawk;18409479]Pictures speak louder than words.

Here's a nice bad example of an LCD with serious clouding problems:

QUOTE]

Awesome! thanks! I don't see ANY of this on my set. I CAN see some flashlighting on an all black screen, but very minimal and I have to look for it.
bluewhite79's Avatar bluewhite79 11:44 AM 03-31-2010
looks more like flashlighting than clouding to me.
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar Cleveland Plasma 01:37 PM 03-31-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalAlien View Post

There are some old pictures of the media room before and after it was painted black in the AVS archive. We use to get galleries.
http://gallery.avsforum.com/showphot...ppuser/7592441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek7300 View Post

AWESOME Room and equipment setup !!!!!!!

Hope they make the alien movies in 3D. Now that would be awsome.
Ericthemidget's Avatar Ericthemidget 08:21 PM 03-31-2010
I just took the set back to Costco and got a LG 55LH90 for much less than the 52. Better blacks, and THX mode FTW! My wife hates me for my TV returns but I am never happy!
D.O.O.M's Avatar D.O.O.M 09:23 PM 03-31-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by twarren View Post

a little info: when you click on the "activate enhanced features" on the tv set it should display an activation code for the tv; then you can register (create an account) at bravia.internet.sony.tv and register the tv using that code. The tv set will then be activated for enhanced features; which seems to enable some of the internet tv content widgets. Also, on that website, are links to the send from pc to tv plugin which apparently works via explorer or firefox browsers, although I couldn't install it in either browser because it kept saying that it didn't work for the browser version that I had.

I experimented with dlna using my mac computer; it seemed to work ok and would show folder files of configured folders if they were file types that it supports (depending on your server software, just be sure to update the server database when you add folders to it). The only movie files that were visible were .mpg files recorded from an old Sony cybershot camera (dsc-t33 model). I am going to try transcoding some other file types into that format to see if they then become visible, but it is kind of disappointing that it only shows mpg video.

would you mind outlining what apps you use and how? i have tried downloading the pc_to_tv.xpi for pc firefox and running it within crossover with zero luck. i'd really like to get this up and running.
SOLIDAge's Avatar SOLIDAge 01:54 AM 04-01-2010
Has anyone gotten TVersity working with the built in DLNA server?
I have PlayOn as well and that shows up with out issue, but TVersity does not... any ideas why?
joemamma's Avatar joemamma 02:36 AM 04-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIDAge View Post

Has anyone gotten TVersity working with the built in DLNA server?
I have PlayOn as well and that shows up with out issue, but TVersity does not... any ideas why?

I've got Twonky working fine with music/photos but still can't get any mpg to play
endo129's Avatar endo129 01:06 PM 04-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemamma View Post

I've got Twonky working fine with music/photos but still can't get any mpg to play

I have MediaLink working fine on my PS3, and as long as that UPS guy leaves my router on the step today I'll try it out on the TV tonight and let everyone know.

Why MediaLink you ask? I have a G4 as my desktop so that's the only solution I've found so far. I didnt' buy it so it only works for 30 minutes without a restart of the service, but that's a bridge to cross later.

If anyone has a good Mac PowerPC app I'd love to hear about it.
D.O.O.M's Avatar D.O.O.M 03:48 PM 04-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemamma View Post

i'm on a macpro desktop and have had no success streaming video to the bravia.

apparently the twonky video issue is known and unfixable. i've converted video to every format imaginable - mpeg, mpeg-2, mpeg-4, vob, mov, etc and twonky could see everything BUT the video content.

eyeconnect looks and functions better than twonky but again, no video content.

i have tried serviio and it should be the easiest interface yet but the tv does not recognize anything whatsoever.

medialink was not recognized by the bravia.

last night i ran down this list: rbgrn.net/content/21-how-to-choose-dlna-media-server-windows-mac-os-x-or-linux and nothing worked for me.
Techgurl's Avatar Techgurl 04:15 PM 04-01-2010
Guys. I'm trying to decide if I should get this particular model after coming from an old xbr1. I feel it should be a great improvement but wanted to gather a second opinion.
aaserali's Avatar aaserali 06:35 PM 04-01-2010
I just got my 52 delivered today and I love EVERYTHING, but I'm having a small problem. I have my TV hooked up to an external surround system thru an optical output. I've tried tons of different settings, but i can't seem to get the TV to control the volume of the outgoing sound. Any help?
Tony6225's Avatar Tony6225 08:34 PM 04-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgurl View Post

Guys. I'm trying to decide if I should get this particular model after coming from an old xbr1. I feel it should be a great improvement but wanted to gather a second opinion.

Anything new from the big name brands will smoke your old XBR1
Tony6225's Avatar Tony6225 08:50 PM 04-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Stick the Plasma in a sun filled room and you've comparative POS! Washed Out and Glare and blacks are no longer black and the whites are gray or urinated on and a MIRROR 24/7! Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

What an idiot......if it wasnt for Panasonic dropping the ball big time I'd still consider plasma to have the edge over lcd.
tsikos's Avatar tsikos 09:24 PM 04-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony6225 View Post

What an idiot......if it wasnt for Panasonic dropping the ball big time I'd still consider plasma to have the edge over lcd.

Which part of westa6969 post do you find idiotic? As a former plasma owner I find his posting short and to the point.
Tony6225's Avatar Tony6225 11:20 PM 04-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsikos View Post

Which part of westa6969 post do you find idiotic? As a former plasma owner I find his posting short and to the point.

Maybe its the fact that hes biased as hell.
serialmike's Avatar serialmike 06:45 AM 04-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsikos View Post

Or that Even a mat screen in a room as bright as described has issues. That kind of light description drowns out everything.

Other than that hes, hes right as far as 09 and 10 sets are concerned. when 2011 rolls around and panny has its Kuros wwell then the shootout begins with new LCD stuff vs Kuro tech and prorbably an emerging OLED by then.
twarren's Avatar twarren 06:49 AM 04-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O.O.M View Post

i'm on a macpro desktop and have had no success streaming video to the bravia.

i have tried serviio and it should be the easiest interface yet but the tv does not recognize anything whatsoever.

hmm...serviio works for me; when you try it, do you see the server at all and just no content or does it not show the server? If the latter, maybe looking at the dlna connect diagnostics on the bravia tv would help; if the former, maybe the serviio "save" function on the computer didn't work? (eg maybe the content options weren't clicked before saving?)
zoldar's Avatar zoldar 08:31 AM 04-02-2010
I picked up my 700 about 2 weeks ago. Very happy so far
LL
endo129's Avatar endo129 11:10 AM 04-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoldar View Post

I see Pandora on there...I just got mine online last night and was disapointed not to see Pandora. Is this part of the latest firmware update, dyk?
HarleySteve's Avatar HarleySteve 11:27 AM 04-02-2010
I anticipate receiving the 52ex701 sometime next week. I have a R50XBR1 with the blob problem and Sony offered the EX at a significant savings. It is an awesome deal considering the TV is out of warranty.

I am preparing to wall mount this TV and want to prepare the possible in-wall cable runs. Does anyone know if this set (EX701) will pass analog audio single from an input to the Toslink output?

I plan to have my AV receiver connected to HDMI 1 on the TV set and my DirecTV connected to HDMI 4. I would also like to have my Wii connected to one of the Component inputs on the Set. My BluRay and Xbox will be connected via HDMI on the receiver. I feel this configuration will allow me to set the appropriate video settings of the TV to the input at the TV and allow me to have separate settings for the DTV, Wii, and BluRay. The X-Box is hardly used and if the Netflix of the TV works reasonably well I will probably get rid of it. My AV receiver has 4 HDMI inputs as well. Future plans call only for a Boxee type device or HTPC.

Does this configuration make sense? I have read on this forum that audio will pass from all of the HDMI inputs through the TosLink output. The lynchpin of my plan will be if the TV set can also pass analog audio. I have also read on this forum that some of the recent manufacture Sony sets can indeed pass analog audio; I want to verify if the EX700 series can.

Thank you in advance,

Steve
Trek7300's Avatar Trek7300 11:54 AM 04-02-2010
Quote:

Nice setup. What brand are those tower speakers? I don't think I've seen those before.

Robert
zoldar's Avatar zoldar 12:28 PM 04-02-2010
Quote:

I see Pandora on there...I just got mine online last night and was disapointed not to see Pandora. Is this part of the latest firmware update, dyk?

That is from the BlueRay player - sorry if the picture is misleading...
zoldar's Avatar zoldar 12:29 PM 04-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek7300 View Post

Nice setup. What brand are those tower speakers? I don't think I've seen those before.

Robert

Thanks.

Speakers are Martin Logan Preface. I took the grill off for the pics.
matrix_dot_ca's Avatar matrix_dot_ca 01:10 PM 04-02-2010
I am planning on purchasing 46ex701 from Costco and bringing it to Canada. How's the warranty covered? anyone knows?
zoldar's Avatar zoldar 01:38 PM 04-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleySteve View Post

I anticipate receiving the 52ex701 sometime next week. I have a R50XBR1 with the blob problem and Sony offered the EX at a significant savings. It is an awesome deal considering the TV is out of warranty.

I am preparing to wall mount this TV and want to prepare the possible in-wall cable runs. Does anyone know if this set (EX701) will pass analog audio single from an input to the Toslink output?

I plan to have my AV receiver connected to HDMI 1 on the TV set and my DirecTV connected to HDMI 4. I would also like to have my Wii connected to one of the Component inputs on the Set. My BluRay and Xbox will be connected via HDMI on the receiver. I feel this configuration will allow me to set the appropriate video settings of the TV to the input at the TV and allow me to have separate settings for the DTV, Wii, and BluRay. The X-Box is hardly used and if the Netflix of the TV works reasonably well I will probably get rid of it. My AV receiver has 4 HDMI inputs as well. Future plans call only for a Boxee type device or HTPC.

Does this configuration make sense? I have read on this forum that audio will pass from all of the HDMI inputs through the TosLink output. The lynchpin of my plan will be if the TV set can also pass analog audio. I have also read on this forum that some of the recent manufacture Sony sets can indeed pass analog audio; I want to verify if the EX700 series can.

Thank you in advance,

Steve

I can test analog audio for you this weekend. I never did try that.

I tried running from Toslink output on TV to my amp with the BlueRay player hooked to TV via HDMI cable. For some reason I did not get a DTS indication on my amp.

I only see DTS displayed if I run Toslink output from BlueRay directly to the amp. Is there something else on the TV I need to configure?
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar Cleveland Plasma 02:13 PM 04-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix_dot_ca View Post

I am planning on purchasing 46ex701 from Costco and bringing it to Canada. How's the warranty covered? anyone knows?

Bring into the US for warranty work.
MetalAlien's Avatar MetalAlien 06:55 PM 04-02-2010
Quote:

Sexy set up!
Tags: Sony Bravia Ex 700 Series 32 Inch Led Tv Black Kdl 32ex700 , Sony Bravia 40 Inch Kdl40nx700 Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Ex700 Series 60 Inch Lcd With Led Back Lighting Hdtv Kdl 60ex700
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop