Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 3682 Old 02-21-2010, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post

I was also hoping that the new Sonys would have separate controls for motion blur and dejudder. Both the 501 and 701 at Costco both had soap opera effect on movie clips. Can you make movies look like movies?
Is Samsung the only company who offers this level of adjustment?

I believe they are. I think Toshiba offers separate blue and judder, though they aren't labeled explicitly as such, and even then, only on three preset levels.

One could debate how effective, or necessary they are, but only Samsung offers 10-point adjustments for both blur and judder in Custom mode, as well as the presets.

I went looking for the EX700 today, but my Costco only has the 55EX500 for now. Have to check out BB and the local SS next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3682 Old 02-21-2010, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I got my KDL32EX700 yesterday and although I still have to fool around with the calibration more my initial impression is this is an excellent TV. It is has great PQ. Very sharp TV. This TV looks like a real keeper. Just excellent all around.
post #63 of 3682 Old 02-21-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by km23 View Post

I went to my local Best Buy and they had the 55 EX500. To me, it was the worst looking TV. The color was very dark, was not sharp at all and the set itself was very fat. For some reason, the 46" one looked decent, but still worse than the others around it. The 55 may have some bad settings, but the employee told me that they leave the TVs as is when they take it out. Maybe he was mistaken.

I saw the 60EX500 at a Sonystyle and it looked just like you describe. They did nothing to tweak it out of the box.......to me it appeared the set was in "Movie Mode" which would look pretty awful in a BB type environment.

I wouldn't take your first impression as a reason to write off the set. I've read posts by others who have this set already and the consensus has been positive.
post #64 of 3682 Old 02-21-2010, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

All right! Some new owners to share settings with! I'll post what I have tonight (at the risk of sounding like an idiot), but to me they look great right now. I was watching Wall-E, and I turned on Motionflow to Standard from Off, and I swear it made it look better without that "soap opera" effect. I guess because it's supposed to look that crisp. When I switched it to High, I could definitely notice it, but at Standard it looked great! The first movie I tried that looked great with Standard Motionflow.

The others were all Star Trek or Dark Knight type movies.

Please share settings!
post #65 of 3682 Old 02-21-2010, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Oh and just a comment on the black level, the bars on top and on the bottom of most wide screen movies (the black ones) have always been darker than the blacks in the actual video. For me in all of my past TV's, I could notice the line where the video ends, and the black bar begins.

Yesterday (while watching Wall-E) The black from the video, matched the black on the bars (completely dark) so I couldn't tell when the credits were rolling up that it was actually only displaying video in the center. That was impressive to me. I know I'm a noob, but that was nice to see!
post #66 of 3682 Old 02-21-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K8CivicSI View Post

Oh and just a comment on the black level, the bars on top and on the bottom of most wide screen movies (the black ones) have always been darker than the blacks in the actual video. For me in all of my past TV's, I could notice the line where the video ends, and the black bar begins.

That's a prime indication of incorrect brightness settings. Just about any TV can be tweaked to make that transition seamless. You can still get the black bars to pop up on some discs though......lots of discs have poor blacks in the source itself.

You should get yourself a copy DVE on blu-ray rather than waiting for someone else to post what they're doing. Using that disc you'll be able to calibrate the set yourself for your viewing environment. You'll learn a thing or two in the process and plus you'll always have it for future use. To me, it's a no brainer for it's $15.99 price tag. Obviously it's not going to put your TV to the level of an all out ISF calibration but it will make it leaps and bounds better than the "box stock" settings the TV has. I've tweaked the sets of all my friends using either my DVE blu-ray or my DVE dvd.....all have been impressed at how much better and more pleasing the image and colors are when I'm done.

http://www.amazon.ca/Digital-Video-E...6810965&sr=8-1

If you want to spend a bit more on a setup disc many consider better than DVE you could get the Spears & Munsil blu-ray. Many consider it the best of the home user tweaker discs.

http://www.amazon.com/Spears-Munsil-...6811741&sr=8-1

http://www.spearsandmunsil.com

When we spend as much as we spend on modern day flat panels and such, you owe it to yourself to tweak the settings with the proper tools to make it look as good as you can. Your eyes will thank you for it.
post #67 of 3682 Old 02-21-2010, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post

That's a prime indication of incorrect brightness settings. Just about any TV can be tweaked to make that transition seamless. You can still get the black bars to pop up on some discs though......lots of discs have poor blacks in the source itself.

lol, so I was impressed by incorrectness...go figure
post #68 of 3682 Old 02-21-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjet View Post

i would like to know if the sony ex700 series presents the high quality

picture that is virtually identical to the samsung led models---

6000,7000,8000.etc.

if so,i feel that this tv would be a spectacular bargain given the size,price

performance ratio.

i would hardly call the samsun 6/7/8000 picture "high quality".
post #69 of 3682 Old 02-21-2010, 09:15 PM

does this set have standard vesa mount points for wall mounting?
post #70 of 3682 Old 02-21-2010, 10:27 PM

The EX700 has Wireless listed as "Ready" vs. "Integrated" for the NXs. Does that mean you can plug a USB network adapter into it and it'll be wireless?
post #71 of 3682 Old 02-21-2010, 10:37 PM

Best Buy's website has the 60" ready to ship.

I like the set but the lack of analog inputs bugs me. Sign of the times I guess. I'm not really a fan of hdmi anyway.
post #72 of 3682 Old 02-21-2010, 11:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 536
post #73 of 3682 Old 02-21-2010, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

analog inputs are supposed to be gone next year all together....

even component video?

HDMI is superior of course but component video is very necessary for many devices still sold today and as a fall back in the event that you get stuck with a crappy cable box that hates HDMI its a pretty common problem still

I can totally live without composite and S-video I haven't used them in years except for my little 19" PC monitor i use as a secondary TV on my computer desk as my 37" Panasonic serves as my main PC monitor

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #74 of 3682 Old 02-21-2010, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzow View Post

funny. My research led me to believe that UV2A is just the name for a proprietary method for treating the alignment layer.

http://www.sharp-world.com/corporate/news/090916.html

it's my understanding from reading that and watching sharps video awhile back that what UV2A does completely changes how the LC's are controlled in the display and rather than having an electrical field modulate the rotation of the LC's they use UV light to control the rotation claiming double the speed of current panels and if that is the case I'm still very excited to see TV's using this technology

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
post #75 of 3682 Old 02-22-2010, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalAlien View Post

... the lack of analog inputs bugs me. ..

I downloaded the EX user's manual from Sony's website and on pages 6-8 it clearly shows both composite and component input.
post #76 of 3682 Old 02-22-2010, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

it's my understanding from reading that and watching sharps video awhile back that what UV2A does completely changes how the LC's are controlled in the display and rather than having an electrical field modulate the rotation of the LC's they use UV light to control the rotation claiming double the speed of current panels and if that is the case I'm still very excited to see TV's using this technology

Sharp's video and probably bolsters that misunderstanding. It assumes a basic knowledge of LC display construction. Either that or their marketing dept. are trying to baffle with BS.

If you thought about it though, what would be the source of that UV light that would align liquid crystals in real time?

The UV light is actually just applied during the assembly process (just prior to drop fill and seal) to 'cure' the transparent polymer alignment coatings (1 layer per glass plane). This creates parallel 'grooves' that provide a foundation or footing for the liquid crystals to align themselves to when an electrical field is applied.

The UV2A method provides a much more precise and consistent alignment layer than you would get through other methods, e.g. mechanical rub wheels (which can cause other problems). The UV2A method would probably improve process throughput and yields as well.

Larry
post #77 of 3682 Old 02-22-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegow View Post

I downloaded the EX user's manual from Sony's website and on pages 6-8 it clearly shows both composite and component input.

Yea but I like having lots of analog inputs. My current XBR has both side and rear mounted component inputs and I use both. I like connecting my HD cameras to the side inputs. I can work around that of course but it just bugs me they include some wireless crap for the internet that I will never use and don't throw on an easy to access component input knowing people still have a metric ton of devices that use component.

HDMI is just too picky.
post #78 of 3682 Old 02-22-2010, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 536
post #79 of 3682 Old 02-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post

The EX700 has Wireless listed as "Ready" vs. "Integrated" for the NXs. Does that mean you can plug a USB network adapter into it and it'll be wireless?

On the Z5100 & XBR9 you would need a wireless bridge or hardwire connected to the Ethernet port. The NX700 has wireless built in. To set up you just scan for the network and you're good to go.For the EX700 you will need a UWA BR100 usb adaptor

If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life.
Henry David Thoreau
post #80 of 3682 Old 02-22-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzow View Post

Sharp's video and probably bolsters that misunderstanding. It assumes a basic knowledge of LC display construction. Either that or their marketing dept. are trying to baffle with BS.

If you thought about it though, what would be the source of that UV light that would align liquid crystals in real time?

The UV light is actually just applied during the assembly process (just prior to drop fill and seal) to 'cure' the transparent polymer alignment coatings (1 layer per glass plane). This creates parallel 'grooves' that provide a foundation or footing for the liquid crystals to align themselves to when an electrical field is applied.

The UV2A method provides a much more precise and consistent alignment layer than you would get through other methods, e.g. mechanical rub wheels (which can cause other problems). The UV2A method would probably improve process throughput and yields as well.

yeah that makes more sense, i had been thinking how are they using UV light to modulate it as well

post #81 of 3682 Old 02-22-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notreally View Post

On the Z5100 & XBR9 you would need a wireless bridge or hardwire connected to the Ethernet port. The NX700 has wireless built in. To set up you just scan for the network and you're good to go.For the EX700 you will need a UWA BR100 usb adaptor

The EX701 from Costco comes with the USB wireless adaptor for free
post #82 of 3682 Old 02-22-2010, 10:56 AM

I'm thinking of exchanging my EX500 for an EX700 or NX700...

2K8Civic, how is the screen uniformity on your panel? Any clouds, waves or flashlights?
post #83 of 3682 Old 02-22-2010, 11:29 AM

I also have a EX701 and mine has no clouding and a very uniform screen. If you decided to change to a EX700 you would be pleased.
post #84 of 3682 Old 02-22-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarris214 View Post

I also have a EX701 and mine has no clouding and a very uniform screen. If you decided to change to a EX700 you would be pleased.

Thanks. The EX500 I have has some clouding. Is the bottom panel on your EX701 silver or black?

The only difference between the EX701 (with the wifi USB) and the NX700 is the styling and the glass outer layer, right?
post #85 of 3682 Old 02-22-2010, 12:15 PM

I have had the 46EX701 for almost a week. I agree with mfaffis214 that screen has no clouding. White texts on black backgrounds have no bleeding and whites are amazingly bright. This line of Sony looks better than any other led TV’s that i have seen so far. This TV is all black around the screen with a mate screen finish. Three things i would be concerned about for ppl looking to purchase an EX700 TV;
1) The TV is so thin it should be mounted on a wall, the speakers are very small and pointing down at the bottom of the TV.
2) If you use the included stand and do not wall mount the TV, there is not enough room from the bottom of the TV to stand for a sound bar. -- This could be bad if you really want good sound just from the TV. i found that i need to crank the sound up 1/3 to just hear it and no i do not have bad ears.
3) When the TV first comes on and Sony logo is shown and the TV puts off a tone that is annoying (like is being booted up). I am not sure if you can turn this off, but i found that if i sneak out the watch the TV before everyone is up, i have to remember to turn the sound down/off before i turn off the TV or everyone gets to hear that i just turn the TV on.
---------------------------------
Personal thoughts about the TV; After looking at the LED VIZIO TV as Costco and waiting for the web app version to get the Costco the warehouses i found at the VIZIO LED TV looked better. Well better that it was brighter, but once I played with the Sony remote I found that it was an obvious choice on the Sony. Be careful personally reviewing LED based LCD TV’s. They are way brighter than normal LCD TV’s but that can also loose detail. I found in my comparison that yes even though the VIZIO was brighter that it lost a lot of detail in white scenes, like snow. Also, check if you demo this model at the store try to turn up the volume if you are going to run sound just from the TV to make sure it’s to your liking. Some ppl are complaining about the off center viewing going gray. I have not experienced this with my 46EX701 set. I found this set to keep the color just a clean and bright from very far off center viewing. As a side note, this TV from Costco did come with a wireless network adapter and internet apps.
--------------------------------
Questions and hopes;
I am a bit scared of the upcoming 3D HDTV’s, Did I just purchase a TV that will need to upgraded when this is released? I know the TV can have a firmware update, so maybe it will handle it?
I hope that Sony either works out a deal with Google or Yahoo to bring better apps to the TV or at least Facebook and twitter.
I have heard that Edge LED Backlighting is not as good as Local diming backlighting. Is this true on models at this price point even though it sounds like some big manufactures are going away local dimming? Also I have not been able to find the contrast ratio on this TV for the life of me. Has anyone else found it, I would love to compare it to other LED LCD TV’s just to make sure.
Should I be worried that the EX700’s are only 120hz even though it has motionflow and sports programs look prefect?
post #86 of 3682 Old 02-22-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunky View Post

I have had the 46EX701 for almost a week. I agree with mfaffis214 that screen has no clouding. White texts on black backgrounds have no bleeding and whites are amazingly bright. This line of Sony looks better than any other led TV’s that i have seen so far. This TV is all black around the screen with a mate screen finish. Three things i would be concerned about for ppl looking to purchase an EX700 TV;
1) The TV is so thin it should be mounted on a wall, the speakers are very small and pointing down at the bottom of the TV.
2) If you use the included stand and do not wall mount the TV, there is not enough room from the bottom of the TV to stand for a sound bar. -- This could be bad if you really want good sound just from the TV. i found that i need to crank the sound up 1/3 to just hear it and no i do not have bad ears.
3) When the TV first comes on and Sony logo is shown and the TV puts off a tone that is annoying (like is being booted up). I am not sure if you can turn this off, but i found that if i sneak out the watch the TV before everyone is up, i have to remember to turn the sound down/off before i turn off the TV or everyone gets to hear that i just turn the TV on.
---------------------------------
Personal thoughts about the TV; After looking at the LED VIZIO TV as Costco and waiting for the web app version to get the Costco the warehouses i found at the VIZIO LED TV looked better. Well better that it was brighter, but once I played with the Sony remote I found that it was an obvious choice on the Sony. Be careful personally reviewing LED based LCD TV’s. They are way brighter than normal LCD TV’s but that can also loose detail. I found in my comparison that yes even though the VIZIO was brighter that it lost a lot of detail in white scenes, like snow. Also, check if you demo this model at the store try to turn up the volume if you are going to run sound just from the TV to make sure it’s to your liking. Some ppl are complaining about the off center viewing going gray. I have not experienced this with my 46EX701 set. I found this set to keep the color just a clean and bright from very far off center viewing. As a side note, this TV from Costco did come with a wireless network adapter and internet apps.
--------------------------------
Questions and hopes;
I am a bit scared of the upcoming 3D HDTV’s, Did I just purchase a TV that will need to upgraded when this is released? I know the TV can have a firmware update, so maybe it will handle it?
I hope that Sony either works out a deal with Google or Yahoo to bring better apps to the TV or at least Facebook and twitter.
I have heard that Edge LED Backlighting is not as good as Local diming backlighting. Is this true on models at this price point even though it sounds like some big manufactures are going away local dimming? Also I have not been able to find the contrast ratio on this TV for the life of me. Has anyone else found it, I would love to compare it to other LED LCD TV’s just to make sure.
Should I be worried that the EX700’s are only 120hz even though it has motionflow and sports programs look prefect?

I agree with everything you said. The price we both paid for ours from Costco and the extras they threw in easily make it worth having. I was suprised that these Edge lit tvs had very little dimming compared to last years Samsung LED edge lits. Sony's are better in that sense. I am pleased with mine especially for the price.

Also Sony is not releasing contrast ratios anymore for some reason. When I was going to order from Sony via phone that is what they told me. They said they were getting away from labeling contrast ratios.
post #87 of 3682 Old 02-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarris214 View Post

The EX701 from Costco comes with the USB wireless adaptor for free

That's good as they're not yet available as a product for sale.

If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life.
Henry David Thoreau
post #88 of 3682 Old 02-22-2010, 12:49 PM

Would you know if the EX700 has a DVI input? or only the 4 HDMI's?
post #89 of 3682 Old 02-22-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinea View Post

Thanks. The EX500 I have has some clouding. Is the bottom panel on your EX701 silver or black?

The only difference between the EX701 (with the wifi USB) and the NX700 is the styling and the glass outer layer, right?

The Bottom panel is like gunmetal black/dark grey
post #90 of 3682 Old 02-22-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

I am a bit scared of the upcoming 3D HDTV’s, Did I just purchase a TV tha

I don't know why everyone is so high on 3-D tv. I have not interest in it. I saw the 3-d tv setup at the Sonystyle store and it looked like crap and I hate the idea of having to use glasses to see. Maybe one day if they made 3-d without needing glasses but for now I am going to pass on 3-D tv.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Ex 700 Series 32 Inch Led Tv Black Kdl 32ex700 , Sony Bravia 40 Inch Kdl40nx700 Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Ex700 Series 60 Inch Lcd With Led Back Lighting Hdtv Kdl 60ex700
Gear in this thread - Ex700 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page