Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 3682 Old 04-21-2010, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detox View Post

Anyone know if they are selling the EX700 series at Costco in Canada?

Thanks

Detox

Yes, Many of the Western Canada locations area carrying the 46" EX700 and a few will be carrying the 60". I know this as a friend of mine works for Costco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3682 Old 04-21-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick101 View Post

Yes, Many of the Western Canada locations area carrying the 46" EX700 and a few will be carrying the 60". I know this as a friend of mine works for Costco

Can he ship some of those sets east to Toronto?
post #903 of 3682 Old 04-21-2010, 09:05 AM

For those of you who want better black levels, I'd wait until June for the HX800 model. Shouldn't be that much more expensive than the EX700, but it has local edge-lit dimming.
post #904 of 3682 Old 04-21-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinea View Post

Shouldn't be that much more expensive than the EX700.

You're kidding right? The price of the 40" EX700 here in Canada is $1699 and the price of the 40" HX800 is $2599 on the Sony Canada website.

It's nothing like the EX series. It's a 3D tv and is 240Hz.
post #905 of 3682 Old 04-21-2010, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks Guinea, I think I will just wait for the HX series in June.
post #906 of 3682 Old 04-21-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhite79 View Post

i'd look at the settings posted on the previous page (the link posted) and go with those. I did a slight calibration with the THX optimizer and by god, its very close to those professional settings in the link.

thanks!

those settings WERE very good. I'm still seeing some picture stutter in some cases. For example - I was watching Fringe, recorded at 1080i on a Dishnetwork DVR - at the start of the episode, there's an exterior shot of a downtown street with lots of tall buildings. The camera pans from looking along the street to up towards the sky along the buildings, during the pan, the stutter was just PAINFUL.
post #907 of 3682 Old 04-21-2010, 06:06 PM

Well, just to let you all know, I'm going to pull the trigger and get me a 40" EX700 tomorrow. Anything I should know before I do this?

Thanks.
post #908 of 3682 Old 04-21-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobC1983 View Post

Hey CIVIC, would you mind taking an up close pic of your TV and seeing if the pixel structure is similar to this:

Up close pixel structure picture of the UV2A panel used in Sharp's new LX series (japan only for now):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalAlien View Post

I just think it's the photo TVVQ, the colors are in a different order because for some reason I think sony mounted the panel upside down in the EX700s.

I take pictures with the hood of my Sony SR11 video camera touching the screen with the flash off. Here I did a new one just now. this was cropped from a 10 meg image.

Looks like the sub pixels can fade all at once or one at a time? Am I seeing that right?

If they dither grey pixels like most Sharp panels do with the 6-subpixel pattern:

Quote:

rgb
rgb

there's no way I'll consider buying this for HDTV/computer dually use.
post #909 of 3682 Old 04-22-2010, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I've been noticing a few complaints about video streaming from a PC to the EX700...I am a little worried now..I don't stream too much video at all from my HTPC to my current TV which is a 52V5100 but for regular use it looks quite well. Sony is replacing my 1 yr. old V5100 for a new 52EX700 due to past problems. Am I going to have a problem just using the HTPC as a regular PC and normal functions? I have it hooked up via HDMI... If there is going to be problems I will turn back the delivery when the EX700 gets here if that's the case!

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
post #910 of 3682 Old 04-22-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBerger View Post

I've been noticing a few complaints about video streaming from a PC to the EX700...I am a little worried now..I don't stream too much video at all from my HTPC to my current TV which is a 52V5100 but for regular use it looks quite well. Sony is replacing my 1 yr. old V5100 for a new 52EX700 due to past problems. Am I going to have a problem just using the HTPC as a regular PC and normal functions? I have it hooked up via HDMI... If there is going to be problems I will turn back the delivery when the EX700 gets here if that's the case!

I don't think the HTPC hooked directly to the EX700 will be a problem. Streaming over my network to the EX700 is where I run in to quality issues - backed up videos (i.e. DVDs) stored on a remote PC look worse than standard def IMHO.
post #911 of 3682 Old 04-22-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopyHD View Post

I have never seen it in either Markham, Richmond Hill or Woodbridge Costco's.

I saw the EX701 at the Markham Costco and I do believe that they also have the EX70x at the Costco Woodbine location.
post #912 of 3682 Old 04-22-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsutton002 View Post

I don't think the HTPC hooked directly to the EX700 will be a problem. Streaming over my network to the EX700 is where I run in to quality issues - backed up videos (i.e. DVDs) stored on a remote PC look worse than standard def IMHO.

What media server are you using? I have the NX700 and can't imagine the streaming functionality is better on it than the EX700. Streaming for me works great, even over a wireless network. Streaming DVDs look fine, certainly better than standard def. I'm using Wild Media Server.
post #913 of 3682 Old 04-22-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagkie View Post

I saw the EX701 at the Markham Costco and I do believe that they also have the EX70x at the Costco Woodbine location.

Maybe I should clarify, I've never seen the 40" at Costco, sorry, my bad.
post #914 of 3682 Old 04-22-2010, 12:41 PM

Location: Jupiter, FL, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Known Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post

I had to return 3 different sets. In the end, I didn't like it and went with an LG with local dimming

I had my heart set on an LG 8500 but I didn't want to wait, pay more and have 5" less screen so I am ok with it but I think the LG 8500 would be a great tv and about the best combo of PQ, function and price out there.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
post #915 of 3682 Old 04-22-2010, 02:01 PM

I posted earlier (#887 on 4/20/10) that Pandora Internet Radio was working fine on my 46EX700. That is no longer the case, as Sony upgraded my software (Version PKG1.101AAL) to a later version (Version PKG1.104AAL) that no longer works with Pandora.

Starting yesterday morning, Pandora has ceased to work and when I select the Pandora icon, the TV now gives me a prompt "Software Update Required. This service is coming soon..."

As I posted earlier on this thread, the way I got it to work originally was to have my TV set to receive automatic updates. Although Pandora didn't work at first (the TV displayed a different prompt for this icon, something like "Coming Soon"), after the TV updated its firmware overnight, I could register Pandora and it worked great for 3 days. The Pandora registration process was a little tricky and involved two separate steps, though.

In troubleshooting my new problem, I see that my TV has again updated itself to a later software version PKG1.104AAL. This version does NOT work with Pandora. Supposedly the current version (still listed incorrectly on Sony's website) is PKG1.101AAL, dated 3/17/10. The PKG1.101AAL version worked fine with Pandora.

I spent an hour today on the phone with with Sony tech support to see how I can get back to the PKG1.101AAL software. After trying to reset the TV's software with tech support on the line, here is what I found out:

1. The Sony Website is out of date and should list PKG1.104AAL as the current software version. As of today, it still shows the older PKG1.101AAL as the current software version, although Sony is pushing out the PKG1.104 software over the internet.

2. Apparently Pandora Radio is still in some sort of Beta testing form with Sony and IT NO LONGER WORKS with Version PKG1.104AAL. The tech guy could not tell me if Version PKG1.101AAL might still work with Pandora Radio.

3. Once the TV has updated itself to PKG1.104AAL, there is no way to either restore the factory software version or to load an earlier version (such as PKG1.101AAL).

4. Sony also cannot tell me when Pandora will be supported...

After a brief success with my 46EX700 and Pandora on software release PKG1.101AAL, my TV no longer supports Pandora and I guess I will be returning my TV.

That's a shame, because this 46EX700 has a great picture and a super-sensitive ATSC (digital) tuner. This TV picks up virtually all of the digital stations in my area from a small indoor antenna, which none of approximately 10 other tuners/HDTVs has been able to do in the last 5 years.

If you can check your software version and still have PKG1.101AAL on your TV, I would advise you to disable the auto-update feature IMMEDIATELY, if Pandora Radio is important to you. Pandora may or may not still work with this older software version; Sony couldn't tell me today. If you have the older software version and Pandora is not working for you, I would at least try re-linking your device to the Pandora service. Unfortunately this process is not too straightforward. ..

If you already have PKG1.104AAL on your TV, then re-linking Pandora is not going to help you (at least according to the Sony tech guy that I spent an hour with today).

Bottom line: if your TV is working fine for you right now, I would definitely disable the auto-software-update feature, so that you don't suffer a Sony software "upgrade" like I just did.

If anyone is still able to access the Pandora Radio service, please post your TV's software version on this forum. If anyone has insider information on when the EX700s will actually have non-Beta support for Pandora, please let the rest of us know. ARRRGGGHHH!
post #916 of 3682 Old 04-22-2010, 02:53 PM

I have a KDL52EX701 and it gets Pandora using software PKG1.117AAL that was downloaded last weekend via the SONY wireless USB adapter. I just tested it and it is still working fine.
post #917 of 3682 Old 04-22-2010, 02:57 PM

I keep reading about Pandora, but has anyone here tried slacker? I have the portable player (G2) which I love and find it to be better than Pandora anyway when I'm listening at work. I haven't tried it yet on my ex700, but slacker was one of the things I was most excited about it having.

The ex700 might not have Pandora yet, but you still have great internet radio with slacker. Why the big deal over Pandora?
post #918 of 3682 Old 04-22-2010, 05:20 PM

jschneids,

Slacker has pre-selected genres of music, which are pretty nice, but Pandora is better (to me), because it allows you to set up 100 personalized "radio stations", each with the specific song or artist of your choice. It then plays endless cuts (with no advertisements) that are the same or pretty similar to your preset "radio stations".

Pandora is also working on a higher bit-rate transmission service for internet devices such as DVD players and TVs. This higher bit-rate service will be closer to CD quality than Slacker is. Pandora already supports the higher bit-rate service (Pandora One) on standard PCs and Apple computers.

Both Pandora and Slacker seem to have much higher sound quality than the Sirus/XM radio channels, which are pretty lo-fi in my experience...

abramsky,

Thanks for your input on the fact that your Pandora service is still working today with yet another software version number. With your additional information (TV model, version and approximate date), I am going to try to escalate my technical issues tomorrow with Sony Support. Did you turn off your TV's auto software update switch? If not, I'd suggest doing that for now.

FYI, just as with my KDL-46EX700, Sony's eSupport web site shows the version PKG1.101AAL (dated 3/17/10) as being the most recent firmware for your KDL-52EX701. There is no mention of your PKG1.117AAL software version. Sony needs to get with the program and update their web sites (and software).
post #919 of 3682 Old 04-22-2010, 07:41 PM

Pulled the trigger and bought the 40EX700 tonight. All I can say is WOW!!!!! What a freakin gorgeous tv. HD watching is truely a thing of beauty. My son is playing COD 4 on his 360 and I can't get over how clear the picture is. One other thing, no lagging, no ghosting snd no blurring.

Of course I have 1 question, where or how do I set the tv to game mode for gaming?

Thanks.
post #920 of 3682 Old 04-22-2010, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Congrats. I had that tv. Only took it back cause it couldn't play anything from my PC well. Other then that's it's a great tv. The colors are far better then any samsung I've ever seen. And I own the 8500. Idk what it is. But Sony got there colors on great.
post #921 of 3682 Old 04-22-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:

Pulled the trigger and bought the 40EX700 tonight. All I can say is WOW!!!!! What a freakin gorgeous tv. HD watching is truely a thing of beauty. My son is playing COD 4 on his 360 and I can't get over how clear the picture is. One other thing, no lagging, no ghosting snd no blurring.

Of course I have 1 question, where or how do I set the tv to game mode for gaming?

Thanks.

If it's like my 60EX500 press "Scene" and you'll have multiple choices to pick from......."game" will be one of them.
post #922 of 3682 Old 04-23-2010, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Did anyone find out what panel the KDL-60EX700 really uses? Is it 10 bit or 8 bit? And did we finish the argument that they do or do not use the Sharp UV2A tech?

My Home Theater
post #923 of 3682 Old 04-23-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post

If it's like my 60EX500 press "Scene" and you'll have multiple choices to pick from......."game" will be one of them.

Thanks Hawk! One more thing, I know some people have updated the firmware on their sets. How do I find which firmware I have and where can I get the updated firmware?

Don't forget, I'm in Canada, so I don't know if that matters.
post #924 of 3682 Old 04-23-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Thanks Hawk! One more thing, I know some people have updated the firmware on their sets. How do I find which firmware I have and where can I get the updated firmware?

Don't forget, I'm in Canada, so I don't know if that matters.

It's in the tv menu system. Click Home on the Remote -> Product Support -> Contact Sony. This will show your serial number, software version ,etc.
post #925 of 3682 Old 04-23-2010, 08:22 AM

Snoopy, there is an option in the menu somewhere, probably near where Dan said to check the version number, that will let the TV download updates while in standby mode -- assuming you have you TV wired into your network. If you don't have your TV wired up, then you can get updates here (I think someone else posted this link further back in the thread):

http://esupport.sony.com/CA/perl/mod...00&region_id=3
post #926 of 3682 Old 04-23-2010, 08:34 AM

Dan and Gollum:

Thanks for the information. I'll be looking into all these things and more tonight.
post #927 of 3682 Old 04-23-2010, 10:00 AM

I have just purchased a 60" EX700. I don't have an internet connection near the TV. I am wondering if I should buy the Sony wireless bridge or whatever it is referred to.

What uses or services do you enjoy in the wireless or internet services on the TV (other than the firmware updates)? I have a PS3 hooked up to the TV, can you access the same Sony content through the PS3?
post #928 of 3682 Old 04-23-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm thinking about getting this tv again. I loved it before but couldn't figure out how to make the videos from my pc look as good as it does on my samsung. I just loved the colors on this tv and I bet avatar on blu Ray would just look amazing. Better then it would on my Sammy. But pc quality is a big issue for me. As I download most of my movies online and only buy few blu-rays movies.
post #929 of 3682 Old 04-23-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

I'm thinking about getting this tv again. I loved it before but couldn't figure out how to make the videos from my pc look as good as it does on my samsung. I just loved the colors on this tv and I bet avatar on blu Ray would just look amazing. Better then it would on my Sammy. But pc quality is a big issue for me. As I download most of my movies online and only buy few blu-rays movies.

What were you using to stream video to your TV?
post #930 of 3682 Old 04-23-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.crouthamel View Post

What were you using to stream video to your TV?

My pc is hooked up directly to the TV. Is use hdmi from pc to tv. Everything looked great on the tv except movies. Even if I downloaded HD movies they'd still look worse then standard definition. Idk why. I don't have this problem with my samsung.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Ex 700 Series 32 Inch Led Tv Black Kdl 32ex700 , Sony Bravia 40 Inch Kdl40nx700 Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Ex700 Series 60 Inch Lcd With Led Back Lighting Hdtv Kdl 60ex700
Gear in this thread - Ex700 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page