The Official KDL....EX700 Thread - Page 73 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 3682 Old 09-04-2010, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The one thing that took me off guard were how many online video & music options were available. It's crazy. Watched a view HD trailers and they looked pretty good. I thought I was going to ignore this feature but it actually looks pretty cool.>>>

Adam - That's how I felt at first, a waste. Then I started playing with Youtube, searching some of my old music favorites. I found so many performers and performances I never saw before on TV and the ability to pipe in the music through my 5.1 is incredible!
Even my wife has gotten into the act finding videos of different dishes to cook...already gained several pounds! (:

We also love the ability to stream our iPhoto collection and our music in iTune from the iMac to the TV!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 3682 Old 09-04-2010, 10:29 PM

So I played with my 60EX703 more tonight. I really like it. Watched half of Transformers 2 (bluray) with the default "cinema" mode and then the recommended calibration settings from this forum. The calibrated settings are awesome. I preferred them to the cinema mode hands down. Although I'm finding that I prefer watching without MotionFlow turned on....but I haven't tried any sports yet.
Did more PS3. Colours are sooo good. But you need to play on game mode for lag purposes. Motionflow looks good but the lag is killer.

Very little flashlighting but terrible clouding once the set warms up. Very visible on solid black screen. That being said, your can't tell it's there when there's something on the screen. Even a small amount of white text on a black screen seems to mask the clouding.

So overall, very happy with the purchase.
post #2163 of 3682 Old 09-05-2010, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
If you set Cinemotion to 2 (I think that was the setting), then MotionFlow is not a real issue. It's the MotionFlow/Cinemotion1 setting that analyzes the video and applies interpolated frames. In Cinemotion2, it only does that for 3:2 pulldown correction. Otherwise, it just just repeats the frames.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2164 of 3682 Old 09-05-2010, 06:33 AM

Thx Andy. I'm going to try that.
post #2165 of 3682 Old 09-05-2010, 03:37 PM

I'm trying to decide between EX700 and NX800.
Only using for Time Warner Cable hdtv.
Please offer replies.
post #2166 of 3682 Old 09-05-2010, 07:34 PM

I just learned something interesting today. Keep in mind I have only had my 46" ex701 for 2 weeks.
HDMI output from my Sony Blu-ray carrying DTS Surround Sound into the tv, and then out by the optical audio out on the tv to my Sony receiver is not supported.
It appears that basically the tv does not support DTS 3/2.1 audio pass thru. But It does support and play Dolby Surround Sound 3/2.1

So to get my DTS audio back, I ran an coxial digital on the Blu-Ray straight to the receiver. Like everyone else I was hoping to have the tv control all video/audio inputs. But so now is not the case.

Anyone else notice this or have any suggestions?

------------------
Sam
post #2167 of 3682 Old 09-05-2010, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

The HDMI goes from my DirectTV DVR to my Onkyo AVR, to my Sony 60EX700 and supports 5.1 sound. Screw the TV lousy sound!

I have a cheap old Universal remote that controls everything.
post #2168 of 3682 Old 09-05-2010, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamMaxima View Post

I just learned something interesting today. Keep in mind I have only had my 46" ex701 for 2 weeks.
HDMI output from my Sony Blu-ray carrying DTS Surround Sound into the tv, and then out by the optical audio out on the tv to my Sony receiver is not supported.
It appears that basically the tv does not support DTS 3/2.1 audio pass thru. But It does support and play Dolby Surround Sound 3/2.1

So to get my DTS audio back, I ran an coxial digital on the Blu-Ray straight to the receiver. Like everyone else I was hoping to have the tv control all video/audio inputs. But so now is not the case.

I'm not sure how to test DTS. If I feed the TV DD5.1 it will pass it through to the optical output. If I tune to an HD 5.1 TV program, that comes out the optical also. Yet I connected the DD 2ch RW lines. Sometimes that's enough since to change the coax audio or optical gives me a gravity issue. My old JVC receiver only has one coax audio and one optical. I need ABC switches to make everything happy. I set my sights lower: TV displays what I give it well, and I leave the audio to equipment designed for audio. If only the TV would accept DSD audio from SACD over HDMI from my S570, I could die happy.

Just compared DTS & DD with Transformers 1 & 2, 2012, and Edge of Darkness. EX700 does not service DTS, but 5.1 is ok. BR is Sony S570.
post #2169 of 3682 Old 09-05-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj73397 View Post

I'm trying to decide between EX700 and NX800.
Only using for Time Warner Cable hdtv.
Please offer replies.

I originally wanted the NX800 until I found out it had a glossy screen. Since it's going in a main floor family room with 2 big windows, I had to eliminate it.

But, I compared them both at a Sony store a while back. The Motionflow on the NX800 was superb. I'm sure in a home you'd probably never tell the difference between the 120 & 240 but side by side you totally could.

In terms of styling, the nx800 has the monolithic design which, for me, is sexier than that bottom grey bar of the EX700.

For me, the glossy screen and the major price difference made me choose the EX703 (700 with black bezel).
post #2170 of 3682 Old 09-06-2010, 04:47 AM
fcb
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

Screw the TV lousy sound!

Indeed.

Fred

Don't make 'em like they used to, but charge you double price, promise you steak but give you beans and rice.
Just ain't enough good stuff!

Panasonic 65VT60

Yamaha RX-V3900

Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-2

Uverse

HP H8-1360T

post #2171 of 3682 Old 09-06-2010, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamMaxima View Post

It passes the DTS thru hdmi.

Settings
60EX500

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

60ex500 new version

post #2172 of 3682 Old 09-06-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:

Set the Auto Light Limiter to "Off". While you're at it, set Advanced Contrast Enhancer to "Off" and ensure that Ambient Sensor is set to "Off".

Thanks for the help!!

So far still pretty happy with the set. I have to admit that I wasnt looking to buy another Sony after my old LCD projection developed an optical block problem.....Sony didn't instill a lot of confidence for me but they made me an offer that I couldn't refuse.

And so far so good. Was watching 'Clash of the Titans' last night on blu-ray and the picture looked amazing EXCEPT when it was a dark scene and then, seriously, I may have just been watching it on SD....not sure why the picture looked so bad. I know that its a 'no-no' but my wife and I prefer the set on 'torch mode'. We prefer the brightness of the picture and find that the colours are just that little bit more vibrant. I've tried some settings that were posted here and found that it just dulls out the picture and washes out the colour.

Has anyone played around with the screen dimensions? I have it on 'Full' right now with 'Auto Wide' on and the display area on 'Full Pixel'. Are they any better settings to inprove PQ?
post #2173 of 3682 Old 09-06-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by amancalledsun View Post

Thanks for the help!!

So far still pretty happy with the set. I have to admit that I wasnt looking to buy another Sony after my old LCD projection developed an optical block problem.....Sony didn't instill a lot of confidence for me but they made me an offer that I couldn't refuse.

And so far so good. Was watching 'Clash of the Titans' last night on blu-ray and the picture looked amazing EXCEPT when it was a dark scene and then, seriously, I may have just been watching it on SD....not sure why the picture looked so bad. I know that its a 'no-no' but my wife and I prefer the set on 'torch mode'. We prefer the brightness of the picture and find that the colours are just that little bit more vibrant. I've tried some settings that were posted here and found that it just dulls out the picture and washes out the colour.

Has anyone played around with the screen dimensions? I have it on 'Full' right now with 'Auto Wide' on and the display area on 'Full Pixel'. Are they any better settings to inprove PQ?

I received the 52EX700 as an exchange for an SXRD rear pro TV. So I'm in a similar boat.

If you like torch mode, then that's what you like. It might not "objectively" be the most accurate mode, but it's your TV. Personally, I do like a warmer image with fewer false sharpness artifacts. I do set my TV backlight brighter than many here (3 or 4) in order to get the "pop" that you seem to like.

As far as screen size, objectively speaking, full pixel should always be the best setting. Displaying a 1920x1080 image at 1920x1080 pixels will always be the purest image with the least scaling (i.e. none).

I haven't watched "Clash" (and probably will not), but it could also be the source material, not the set. Were you watching the new one or the Harryhausen one? I have no experience with the new movie. But the classic film was shot on some pretty grainy film stocks and had a lot of traditional optical effects, all of which could lend themselves to a "SD" appearance.

Calm the muddy water, it becomes clear.
post #2174 of 3682 Old 09-06-2010, 10:30 AM

I am debating between an EX500 and an EX700 and seeking opinions. I'll replacing an 60SXRD1, which I loved and thought had an excellent picture quality.

Picture quality is my number one concern. I don't care about how thin the tv is, power consumption, hanging it on the wall, etc. I primarily watch HD television, HD sports and play PS3 games. Viewing angle is a slight concern, but not a major one.

I'm actually leaning towards the EX500, due to the backlight, instead of a side light.

Can anyone offer any opinions?

Thanks
post #2175 of 3682 Old 09-06-2010, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genrlz View Post

I am debating between an EX500 and an EX700 and seeking opinions. I'll replacing an 60SXRD1, which I loved and thought had an excellent picture quality.

Picture quality is my number one concern. I don't care about how thin the tv is, power consumption, hanging it on the wall, etc. I primarily watch HD television, HD sports and play PS3 games. Viewing angle is a slight concern, but not a major one.

I'm actually leaning towards the EX500, due to the backlight, instead of a side light.

Can anyone offer any opinions?

Thanks

I have not evaluated the EX500 series, so I cannot comment from experience. However, a few people in this topic were not happy with the EX700 after evaluating the EX500 and were able to swap their TV's via Sony.

You may want to visit the EX500 topic and read the threads. Many knowledgeable and helpful people over there.
post #2176 of 3682 Old 09-06-2010, 11:51 AM

So are you saying that many people prefer the EX500 to the EX700? At least that's what I think you're saying.

I'm leaning towards the EX500, since I trust the backlight more than sidelighting. I don't care about power consumption, thinness, or internet.
post #2177 of 3682 Old 09-06-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genrlz View Post

So are you saying that many people prefer the EX500 to the EX700? At least that's what I think you're saying.

I'm leaning towards the EX500, since I trust the backlight more than sidelighting. I don't care about power consumption, thinness, or internet.

I said "few" people. Two that I can remember. Since you trust the backlight more than sidelight, get the EX500 and you are done! I personally think you could be happy with either of these two tv's. It's your decision and I wish you the best!
post #2178 of 3682 Old 09-06-2010, 01:57 PM

hello, i've just purchased a KDL55EX710 a few days ago. So far i haven't calibrated it or anything, just set it up on the network to play with the internet features. I'm more than happy to answer questions about this specific model due to the fact when i was looking up this model there was very little i could find about it. That being said, this is basically my first TV i've bought for myself and i'm not a huge HT guy. I was going to buy a KDL52EX700 after reading up about it here, and the general pricing of the tv, but when i got to the store, i picked the 710 due to the larger screen and smaller IMO better looking bezel.

My first (uncalibrated) impressions about the TV are PQ looks decent, i played some xbox mw2 on it, no complaints whatsoever. I saw colors on the menu screen i hadn't previously seen on my friends tv. The back lighting looks relatively even, the screen when turned off looks matte glossy, meaning the reflection is fuzzy and not crisp like a mirror glossy.
There is a slight, LED bleeding from the 4 sides, (but not corners) however i would not have noticed it if i hadn't visited this forum and known of such a detail. IMO its very slight and not prominent, and its uncalibrated so i don't know if that makes a difference.
post #2179 of 3682 Old 09-07-2010, 07:50 AM

My KDL-60EX700 arrives today (aggh and I am at work) Can not wait to play with it tonight and set it up. Thanks for all the useful tips!

Also, I keep seeing serialmike's settings. Are these the widely accepted settings, or should I look through the forums for some others? Thanks.
post #2180 of 3682 Old 09-07-2010, 08:00 AM
AEC

I just received the Sony 700EX46 yesterday. My wife was watching it last night and on several occasions the picture went black but I still had audio. I am connected to a Motorola HD Box (FIOS) via HDMI. She did not mention it to me until this morning, so I could not play with it. She said she turned it off and on the picture came back. Since I only learned of the problem this morning, I have not had time to swap out the HDMI cable to see if it is the cable. Besides my obvious concern about it being a new TV, I surmise that if I call Sony then they will blame it on the box and conversely, if I call Verizon, they will blame it on the TV. I hate to start switching out one HD box (after eliminating the HDMI cable as the culprit) from one TV to another, but I suppose that is the only real way to troubleshoot whether it is the TV or the box. If anyone else has had a similar experience (or solution), I would appreciate hearing about it. I did find a thread on CNET but the poster never bothered to mention his solution in a follow up. Thanks.
post #2181 of 3682 Old 09-07-2010, 10:04 AM
fcb
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post

I just received the Sony 700EX46 yesterday. My wife was watching it last night and on several occasions the picture went black but I still had audio. I am connected to a Motorola HD Box (FIOS) via HDMI. She did not mention it to me until this morning, so I could not play with it. She said she turned it off and on the picture came back. Since I only learned of the problem this morning, I have not had time to swap out the HDMI cable to see if it is the cable. Besides my obvious concern about it being a new TV, I surmise that if I call Sony then they will blame it on the box and conversely, if I call Verizon, they will blame it on the TV. I hate to start switching out one HD box (after eliminating the HDMI cable as the culprit) from one TV to another, but I suppose that is the only real way to troubleshoot whether it is the TV or the box. If anyone else has had a similar experience (or solution), I would appreciate hearing about it. I did find a thread on CNET but the poster never bothered to mention his solution in a follow up. Thanks.

Could be the "presence sensor", especially if she tends to fall asleep in front of it.

Fred

Don't make 'em like they used to, but charge you double price, promise you steak but give you beans and rice.

Panasonic 65VT60

Yamaha RX-V3900

Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-2

Uverse

HP H8-1360T

post #2182 of 3682 Old 09-07-2010, 10:27 AM
AEC

That was my first thought. But she is still receiving audio. I checked on multiple websites for the problem. Verizon apparently had an issue like this w/Samsung TVs last year. I will have to troubleshoot it myself and if the problem persists, put a call into Verizon. That is my last resort as the problem seems to occur intermittently, and I will have to see for myself. I will also look at the internal settings on the box. I just hope it is not a "Sony/Fios" issue. Thanks for the reply.
post #2183 of 3682 Old 09-07-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post

That was my first thought. But she is still receiving audio. I checked on multiple websites for the problem. Verizon apparently had an issue like this w/Samsung TVs last year. I will have to troubleshoot it myself and if the problem persists, put a call into Verizon. That is my last resort as the problem seems to occur intermittently, and I will have to see for myself. I will also look at the internal settings on the box. I just hope it is not a "Sony/Fios" issue. Thanks for the reply.

Fred's answer nailed it! It is designed where it will keep the audio for I can't remember how long.

Click "Home" on your remote control > Picture & Display > Presence Sensor and either change settings of turn off.

I have mine set to 20 min. It will display a very short warning on the bottom left of the screen prior to shutting off the video. To bring back the video, just move your arms, at it will immediately bring back the video.
post #2184 of 3682 Old 09-07-2010, 11:16 AM
AEC

Quote:

Fred's answer nailed it! It is designed where it will keep the audio for I can't remember how long.

Click "Home" on your remote control > Picture & Display > Presence Sensor and either change settings of turn off.

I have mine set to 20 min. It will display a very short warning on the bottom left of the screen prior to shutting off the video. To bring back the video, just move your arms, at it will immediately bring back the video.

Thanks. I will change the settings and see what happens. I think I have it set to turn off after an hour of inactivity.
post #2185 of 3682 Old 09-07-2010, 01:02 PM
fcb
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mine is set to 5 minutes, if I have been to still it gives me a warning, at which time I either press + on the remote or flap my arms a bit.
The EX700 saves at least 150 watts compared to the XBR2, more since it shuts down if I wander off. Or fall asleep which I also tend to do at times.

Fred

Panasonic 65VT60

Yamaha RX-V3900

Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-2

Uverse

HP H8-1360T

post #2186 of 3682 Old 09-07-2010, 01:33 PM

Just my two cents worth.

Viewing the 60EX700 for five - six weeks now, and, IMO, best picture I've seen to date. Other set is Sony 52V4100, and EX700 picture is slightly better to my eyes. Best picture when playing BR discs, then HD TV or DVD, then SD, all of which is to be expected. The color does seem to "wash out" at a narrower angle than V4100, so it's best viewed head-on. I've had good luck with Sony's (still have a functioning 13" Trinitron) so I stick with them.

My setup includes Dish HD receiver, Sony BR player, and Yamaha 6.1 AVR, Harmony One remote...no game console. Set up in room with 3 south-facing windows, so the room is fairly bright during the day even with wood blinds closed (full drapes would be better, but who uses those anymore). The matte screen (semi-matte might be more accurate) eliminates most daytime glare/reflection. Bezel on EX700 is piano black and quite reflective, but this may be less of an issue if your room is darker, or when 710 model replaces 700 model, as 710 appears to have slimmer and less reflective bezel. I don't notice any clouding issues, and 120hz refresh meets my needs (again, no game console). Even watching US Open tennis with 120+ mph serves, I don't see motion blur.

Picture set up is pretty basic:

Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 6
Picture: Max
Brightness: 55
Color: 55
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Warm2
(might tweak further as I read more on this forum)

Internet connection (via powerline ethernet) is pretty cool feature even at broadband speed of 1.3Mbps. Connected to Netflix (free 30-day trial), and watched a couple movies. Netflix automatically sets your download rate and I didn't experience any buffering issues. The available streaming movies are generally older movies...the more current ones having to come via mail on either DVD or BluRay. Tried a few YouTube vids also and they are as they are on the computer. Don't expect a super quality picture, but the ability to connect and watch them on a big screen is neat. Lots of other internet options (go to SonyStlye to check them out), and more on the way I'm sure, such as Hulu sometime this Fall.

All in all I am very pleased, and sure you will be also.

One thing I would like to be able to do is create an "activity" on my Harmony that switches the TV to internet mode without having to use the Sony remote. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #2187 of 3682 Old 09-08-2010, 09:20 AM

So my my KDL-60EX700 arrived yesterday and wow, freaking wow. Even with the orignal settings it looked amazing with a crappy feed from the food channel. Used serialmike's latest settings and watched White Collar and wow, freaking wow, what a picture. Its a little dark with serialmikes latest settings, but they were an awesome starting point and I will adjust the settings soon. Cant wait to see some blu-ray and games on it. I will be running all of my sources through a reciever. Any suggestions for easy switching between picture modes for different sources running this way? Thanks. I have a harmony remote I will be using.
post #2188 of 3682 Old 09-08-2010, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't do games, so I only use the General mode for movies and viewing regular programming. That eliminates any need to switch between modes for me.

Glad you started with serialmike settings. That's what I'm using and yes, I did find it a bit dark, but that was easy to fix.
post #2189 of 3682 Old 09-08-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajamahead View Post

So my my KDL-60EX700 arrived yesterday and wow, freaking wow. Even with the orignal settings it looked amazing with a crappy feed from the food channel. Used serialmike's latest settings and watched White Collar and wow, freaking wow, what a picture. Its a little dark with serialmikes latest settings, but they were an awesome starting point and I will adjust the settings soon. Cant wait to see some blu-ray and games on it. I will be running all of my sources through a reciever. Any suggestions for easy switching between picture modes for different sources running this way? Thanks. I have a harmony remote I will be using.

Hey PJ, the TV will remember your picture settings for each individual source so you don't need to switch them. As for the Harmony, I just assigned one of my unused keys as the "Scene" button to choose what picture mode I want.
post #2190 of 3682 Old 09-09-2010, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

The ex and 700 and 500 are the same screens the difference is the backlight. For these sets you pay more for the 700 and imo get less image quality though there are more features. Still a nice set the 700 is.

Hope all works out well for you stu

this has been refuted has it not? the 60" 700 specifically is made by a different manufacturer and has different and better specs, correct?

ah, yes I read a little further:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post

The 60EX500 uses the Sharp ASV TFT 10-bit panel....the same one Sharp uses in their LC60E77UN.

And you are correct......none of the EX500 use the Gen-X UV2A panels. The 700 series and up use those. The rest of the 500 line aside from the 60" are Samsung panels.

I'm reading through the thread to educate myself.

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Ex 700 Series 32 Inch Led Tv Black Kdl 32ex700 , Sony Bravia 40 Inch Kdl40nx700 Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Ex700 Series 60 Inch Lcd With Led Back Lighting Hdtv Kdl 60ex700
Gear in this thread - Ex700 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page