Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 6195 Old 03-23-2010, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdiesel View Post

I know there was some discussion about what panels are in these tv's. I found this info.

32EX500-LTY32OHF01 (S-matrix LCD-Samsung)
37EX500-T37OHWO3 (AUO)
40EX500-LTY400HF06 (S-matrix LCD-Samsung)
46EX500-LTY460HJ01 (S-matrix LCD-Samsung)
55EX500-LTY550HJ01 (S-matrix LCD-Samsung)

My 55EX501 has the LTY550HJ01 panel. I checked by looking through the grill in the back of the TV

Great info! Do you happen to know the same information for the EX400 and/or EX700 series? If we had this info it would solidify the "Does this model have the same panel as this model" questions. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 6195 Old 03-23-2010, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So, I know a lot of people are getting this tv as part of the SXRD XBR1 replacement program (as did I). Given the general videophile nature of this group, are any of you planning to get it ISF calibrated?

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for chrissake!
post #453 of 6195 Old 03-23-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post

"tight enough"? The stand comes separately and must be installed by the buyer. Am I missing something in your question?

the stand is made of seperate pieces and comes pre assembled, my EX500 also included assembly instructions for the stand. After mounting my tv on it I saw the wobble and was wondering if the pre assembled stand was put together tight enough. Actually not even sure if theres a way to make it tighter, the pieces might just snap into place.
post #454 of 6195 Old 03-23-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsciurus View Post

I can't address the RGB vs HDMI myself, but I can tell you that if you have a pc with the ability to output audio through the hdmi, picture quality will be great, and there will be one less (audio) line running from the pc.

My computer's video card (ATI 4850) doesn't have an HDMI port, but came with a DVI-HDMI adapter that was capable of outputting sound. It took a little playing around with settings on both the computer and the TV to get it just right, but now my wife and I can watch whatever we want from the pc.

I guess you'll have to decide for yourself whether you want to go for cable management and very best picture quality by paying 10-20 bucks for an HDMI cable (and a dvi-hdmi adapter), or whether you'd be content with what you have.

PS: for what it's worth, my xbox360 is connected to tv with RGB, and it looks fine to me.

Yeah, I'm far from dissatisfied with the PQ over RGB. And in fact, I probably shouldn't even worry about it since that saves having to use an HDMI port on the PC, but I was just curious as to what resolutions are available over HDMI, and if anyone had any experience comparing the two.
post #455 of 6195 Old 03-23-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by abonney View Post

Great info! Do you happen to know the same information for the EX400 and/or EX700 series? If we had this info it would solidify the "Does this model have the same panel as this model" questions. Thanks!

I can confirm that the 32EX400 has panel number LTY320HM01.

The panel serial number on the box starts with S01.
post #456 of 6195 Old 03-23-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside50 View Post

but I was just curious as to what resolutions are available over HDMI, and if anyone had any experience comparing the two.

The available resolutions may depend on your graphics card and driver version.

I have a six year old Nvidia card with an updated driver that is supposed to support all of the resolutions listed in the manual.
However, none of the VGA or WXGA resolutions are available using DVI to HDMI.

I have PC timings of 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, and HDTV timings of 1280x720p and 1920x1080i/p.

FYI, the PIP only works with PC timing, not HDTV timing.

I haven't compared RGB to DVI/HDMI with this display.
I went right to DVI/HDMI because of experience with my previous display, seeing that the digital signal was much better.
post #457 of 6195 Old 03-23-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post

I have PC timings of 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, and HDTV timings of 1280x720p and 1920x1080i.

Well over the VGA port it's running at 1920x1080p to the Sony as the second monitor, and over VGA 1366x768p to a 32" Vizio (my main monitor), and with the Vizio I tried going over HDMI, and it looked much worse.
post #458 of 6195 Old 03-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

OK guys, I'm having a problem with this tv and DirecTV: I tried to download an OnDemand movie, and when I went to play it, I got a message that is similar to: "this movie uses content protection that cannot be viewed on this tv using the HDMI connector". This same DirecTV receiver never had a problem before with my previous tv, so I'm assuming it's a setting with the tv. Anybody know what's going on here?

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
post #459 of 6195 Old 03-23-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:

OK guys, I'm having a problem with this tv and DirecTV: I tried to download an OnDemand movie, and when I went to play it, I got a message that is similar to: "this movie uses content protection that cannot be viewed on this tv using the HDMI connector". This same DirecTV receiver never had a problem before with my previous tv, so I'm assuming it's a setting with the tv. Anybody know what's going on here?

Well, I can tell you that the TV is fully HDCP compatible, so that doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'm just gunna shoot some things out there.

1) Does the DirecTV receiver have HDMI out or is it DVI out?

2) Did you used to hook it up over HDMI when it worked before, or did you use component?

3) Have you tried any other streaming content since? Is there some free stuff you can test to see if it all acts this way?

There are no setting on the TV as it pertains to HDCP. What is the brand and model number of your reciever? I'll see if I can find out anything else. In the meantime, you could always hook it up over component to watch what you paid for.
post #460 of 6195 Old 03-23-2010, 09:11 PM

I'm losing faith in my plans to get a Costco version - because I don't have a Costco Having one delivered or driving 3 hours to get one, then getting a bad one would make for a huge hassle return. Plus, I'd like an in-home service warranty - and the 3 year manufacturer warranty you get with the 501's would require you to mail the TV someplace, doesn't it? I have no experience with this.

So rather than waiting another year to see if they get rid of the metal bezel - I'm regrettably considering dealing with it. I've mostly heard "I can live with it", "It's grown on me", "you can't really see it in the dark" - but nobody really prefers it - is it really OK? I hate to condone Sony's design style by purchasing it...but I want a new TV!

Also - I've heard negative talk about Best Buy's "geek squad" warranty - does anyone recommend getting this? How well do they help if something goes wrong? horror/success stories?
post #461 of 6195 Old 03-23-2010, 09:58 PM

Here's a picture of the 60EX500 with a blank/black screen.

Backlight: 3
Picture: Max
Brightness: 43
Ambient Sensor: Off

Exposure is 0.6 sec at f5.6, ISO400. Look at the picture against a black background on a reasonably-well adjusted monitor to get a feel for what this looked like in-person.
LL
post #462 of 6195 Old 03-23-2010, 10:06 PM

Just picked up my 46" EX501 (the costco one w/ 3yr warranty).. Been checking it out for a few hours now. Absolutely loving it, but I'm also coming up from a 32" Panasonic HD CRT that only did either 1080i or 480i/p, nothing else(couldn't even plug a PC into it). This is just a huge leap.. I'm quite pleased thus far.

A few subjective thoughts:
- So the bezel is all black on my unit, and the bottom edge has a woodgrain type texture to it. kind of a nice touch, IMO.

- My unit does have a small bit of the flashlighting effect in the upper corners, but I don't see it unless I'm looking for it.

- viewing angles work well for our room - only about a 45 degree angle though in our seating

- Hooking up my laptop over HDMI looks great, with HD movies looking awesome this way. Definitely see an HTPC in my future.

- The internal speakers actually sound pretty decent to my ears, even with the surround mode turned on. but of course an external system is my preferred method.

- like others on here, i didn't like the ambient light sensor - i turned that off right away.

overall, i'm very happy thus far.

So that said,
Now I just need a new surround sound system, HTPC, and maybe a PS3. Why do expensive toys always need more toys to go with them?

Still need to test games with the Xbox 360 and then also see what Blu Rays look like natively..

If anyone has any specific questions, or wants pics of something on this TV, let me know and I should be able to help

EDIT: i should add that i have not changed ANY settings from default(though i did turn off the ambient light sensor), as it looks fine to my eyes.. any calibration tips would be appreciated though.
post #463 of 6195 Old 03-24-2010, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside50 View Post

Well, I can tell you that the TV is fully HDCP compatible, so that doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'm just gunna shoot some things out there.

1) Does the DirecTV receiver have HDMI out or is it DVI out?

2) Did you used to hook it up over HDMI when it worked before, or did you use component?

3) Have you tried any other streaming content since? Is there some free stuff you can test to see if it all acts this way?

There are no setting on the TV as it pertains to HDCP. What is the brand and model number of your reciever? I'll see if I can find out anything else. In the meantime, you could always hook it up over component to watch what you paid for.

Hey Wildside, thanks for the info. DirecTV receiver is the HR22-100, same one I have hooked up to my downstairs tv (Z5100) which has no issues downloading and showing this type of content. It is hooked up via HDMI, and always has been. Have not tried any other streaming content...will try to do so.
One thing I did last night: My old tv (an XBR1 SXRD), was not 1080p, only 1080i, so the DirecTV receiver was set to output 1080i max. I added the 1080p setting last night. This however, did not make a difference with this program...still got the same message.

post #464 of 6195 Old 03-24-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghardy View Post

Exposure is 0.6 sec at f5.6, ISO400. Look at the picture against a black background on a reasonably-well adjusted monitor to get a feel for what this looked like in-person.

I have the exact same flashlight on the bottom right and the same cloud left of center as you do. I know now that exchanging my set for another will probably not fix the uniformity issue. I'm considering moving up to the hx701 to address these issues as well as the poor motion handling of the ex500 sets (the hx701 has 240 Hz).

Thanks for the pic!
post #465 of 6195 Old 03-24-2010, 08:53 AM

Does the 55EX500/1 have audio out so that I can hook up an old stereo with the red and white (is this called analog?)

if so does it have digital audio out too? Does digital sound way better?

What is fixed vs. variable -- is variable where the stereo volume goes up when you turn the TV volume up? And fixed is when the tv and stereo are seperate?

recommendations for sound system with this tv?
post #466 of 6195 Old 03-24-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petebert View Post

with the stand wobble, has anyone checked to see if the stand is being shipped tight enough from the factory? I didnt think to check mine, dont feel like it taking it down right now.

according to my knowledgeable sales rep, being a swivel base...it is supposed to have some give or "wobble" in it. consider it normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheidis View Post

I'm losing faith in my plans to get a Costco version - because I don't have a Costco Having one delivered or driving 3 hours to get one, then getting a bad one would make for a huge hassle return. Plus, I'd like an in-home service warranty - and the 3 year manufacturer warranty you get with the 501's would require you to mail the TV someplace, doesn't it? I have no experience with this.

So rather than waiting another year to see if they get rid of the metal bezel - I'm regrettably considering dealing with it. I've mostly heard "I can live with it", "It's grown on me", "you can't really see it in the dark" - but nobody really prefers it - is it really OK? I hate to condone Sony's design style by purchasing it...but I want a new TV!

Also - I've heard negative talk about Best Buy's "geek squad" warranty - does anyone recommend getting this? How well do they help if something goes wrong? horror/success stories?

i now prefer, i was in your camp...but honestly even in a bright room the picture is so good it will not detract you. i don't notice it, and i think it looks good. its a lot darker than the pics make it out to be, almost a gun metal depending on where your at in the room. sitting from my couch, its a grayish. once you get used to it, it suits the tv quite nicely.
post #467 of 6195 Old 03-24-2010, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Can anyone who bought the 46 inch 501EX from Costco tell me if the 3 year warranty requires you to mail the TV in for warranty service?

I would imagine that a 46 inch LCD would come with in-home service. Mail-in (warranty) repair service would probably be a deal-breaker for me.
post #468 of 6195 Old 03-24-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Can anyone who bought the 46 inch 501EX from Costco tell me if the 3 year warranty requires you to mail the TV in for warranty service?

I would imagine that a 46 inch LCD would come with in-home service. Mail-in (warranty) repair service would probably be a deal-breaker for me.

I was very concerned about this and called Sony directly - to ask about the manufacturers warranty - either the 3 year from Costco or the 1 year everywhere else - and they said it's not in-home, but shipping would be covered (still too much hassle for me) - although it could be evaluated case by case. If anyone has had actual interaction with Sony's manufacturers warranty, please answer - just thought I'd add what I found out since I asked this specific question of Sony. (is that why Sony offers a cost warranty on their website, is that the in-home version?)
post #469 of 6195 Old 03-24-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advans13 View Post

according to my knowledgeable sales rep, being a swivel base...it is supposed to have some give or "wobble" in it. consider it normal.

i now prefer, i was in your camp...but honestly even in a bright room the picture is so good it will not detract you. i don't notice it, and i think it looks good. its a lot darker than the pics make it out to be, almost a gun metal depending on where your at in the room. sitting from my couch, its a grayish. once you get used to it, it suits the tv quite nicely.

Thank you - at my Best Buy they have the 55 mounted in the "upper" area, and from that angle is really shines a bright silver - but I've seen others (the 46 and 60) at eye level and they look better, so I was actually wondering if the bezel on the 55 was lighter than the one on the 46, or if it was the angle and lighting at the store. Has anyone seen the 46 and 55 next to each other, are they the exact same?

Thinking of using bing.com to get 5% cash back and buying this from bestbuy.com - since bestbuy.com has free delivery on 999 and up, and in the store they have no idea about free delivery...it's the same as if I go there and have some guy enter my order into the system, right?
post #470 of 6195 Old 03-24-2010, 11:43 AM

oops, double post.
post #471 of 6195 Old 03-24-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Does the 55EX500/1 have audio out so that I can hook up an old stereo with the red and white (is this called analog?)

if so does it have digital audio out too? Does digital sound way better?

What is fixed vs. variable -- is variable where the stereo volume goes up when you turn the TV volume up? And fixed is when the tv and stereo are seperate?

recommendations for sound system with this tv?

- The 46 inch has RCA (fixed audio) and optical outputs, would assume the 55 has the same.

- You are correct on the differences of fixed vs. variable

- sound system recs might be too subjective to get any useful answer to that question.. it all depends on your room setup and what you want in a sound system, ad nauseum
post #472 of 6195 Old 03-24-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpaulie View Post

- The 46 inch has RCA (fixed audio) and optical outputs, would assume the 55 has the same.

- You are correct on the differences of fixed vs. variable

- sound system recs might be too subjective to get any useful answer to that question.. it all depends on your room setup and what you want in a sound system, ad nauseum

Just one other note

The digital out will pass thru the audio coming in on the hdmi out to a surround sound system... and it will pass dolby digital surround sound, not just 2 channel as some older sony TV's did.

It makes for a pretty convenient setup... connect source devices to the TV using HDMI and send audio from the TV to your surround sound system using (optical) digital audio out. When you switch from input to input on the TV it switches both the audio and the video.
post #473 of 6195 Old 03-24-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghardy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssowinski View Post

I have the exact same flashlight on the bottom right and the same cloud left of center as you do. I know now that exchanging my set for another will probably not fix the uniformity issue. I'm considering moving up to the hx701 to address these issues as well as the poor motion handling of the ex500 sets (the hx701 has 240 Hz).

Thanks for the pic!

I, too, had that same flashlight on the bottom of my 60EX500, only mine was on the left side. I also had clouds that were especially strong in the bottom corners. I didn't see any of it when the image filled the screen, but I would notice it on films with letterboxing or during end credits with a black background. The top of the screen was fine. I decided to exchange it for the same model (I bought mine from Best Buy). The new set still has it, but to a MUCH lesser degree. I can only tell it's there from one particular angle, and only if I'm really looking for it. Since it's so minor on the latest set, I've decided I can live with it. (I tend to be super picky, and I'm sure most people would never even notice it.)
post #474 of 6195 Old 03-24-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy View Post

I, too, had that same flashlight on the bottom of my 60EX500, only mine was on the left side. I also had clouds that were especially strong in the bottom corners. I didn't see any of it when the image filled the screen, but I would notice it on films with letterboxing or during end credits with a black background. The top of the screen was fine. I decided to exchange it for the same model (I bought mine from Best Buy). The new set still has it, but to a MUCH lesser degree. I can only tell it's there from one particular angle, and only if I'm really looking for it. Since it's so minor on the latest set, I've decided I can live with it. (I tend to be super picky, and I'm sure most people would never even notice it.)

I have a very small flashlight on the left side too. It must be from screws holding the panel or something since it is equidistant from the other one off center.

So should I try my luck and exchange it for another 60ex500 or just go with the 55hx700 since it has the monolithic design and hopefully better uniformity (both have ccfl backlighting - no led for me - but the hx also has BE3)?

I say the hx700 should have better uniformity since it has a full front glass panel so I should'nt see all the waves, dents and imperfections on the glossy bezel (that my ex500 also has). It should also help deepen the blacks a bit.

Its the blacks, uniformity issues, motion handling and the wavy bezel that I have issues with. I must also be super picky =]
post #475 of 6195 Old 03-24-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:

My warranty card doesnt specify, and it says to contact sony directly for warranty claims. Then gives the 800 number.
post #476 of 6195 Old 03-25-2010, 07:57 AM

does the stand come attached on the 55ex500?

Friend said it did on the 52" last year's model - why do some come attached? Must make the box bigger?
post #477 of 6195 Old 03-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

does the stand come attached on the 55ex500?

Friend said it did on the 52" last year's model - why do some come attached? Must make the box bigger?

No, it is not attached. Must be attached with 4 screws, and be warned, it does wobble a bit back and forth...

I also have the 52Z5100, and it did come pre-attached. Not sure why it's different, but yes, the box was quite a bit bigger

post #478 of 6195 Old 03-25-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:

No, it is not attached. Must be attached with 4 screws, and be warned, it does wobble a bit back and forth...

Is it still secure? I'm ok with a little wobble if it's not going to come apart from the stand? This wouldn't be a reason to skip this TV would it?

Does it swivel easy?
post #479 of 6195 Old 03-25-2010, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpaulie View Post

My warranty card doesnt specify, and it says to contact sony directly for warranty claims. Then gives the 800 number.

If you look at post #468, the poster says that when he called Sony about the warranty, he was told that the 500/501 requires you to mail in the TV for repairs, but Sony pays the cost of shipping.
post #480 of 6195 Old 03-25-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:

If you look at post #468, the poster says that when he called Sony about the warranty, he was told that the 500/501 requires you to mail in the TV for repairs, but Sony pays the cost of shipping.

Over on the V5100 thread (many issues with that TV), many owners have had there sets looked at and Sony had a service repair company go their house to replace parts. They did not have to send in their TV's. Most cases Sony will send someone out to fix from what I heard. I think it would be the same for EX500/501. Hopefully it will not have the same issues as the V5100's.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia 60 Inch Lcd Hdtv Kdl 60ex500 , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 52v5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread - 52v5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page