Official KDL..EX500/501 Thread - Page 161 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-04-2011, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Frick! I bet that is something that is going to drive me nuts too...so it was very noticeable to you? I would hold out for the 30 series but apparently they have it too. I wish I had kept my Samsung 4061f, it was perfectly uniform, no distractions what so ever. Sad considering it was 4 years old and now it seems very few of these sets are like that now a days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_rad4 View Post

Frick! I bet that is something that is going to drive me nuts too...so it was very noticeable to you? I would hold out for the 30 series but apparently they have it too. I wish I had kept my Samsung 4061f, it was perfectly uniform, no distractions what so ever. Sad considering it was 4 years old and now it seems very few of these sets are like that now a days.

It was weird...during some content on Blu Ray, like Starship Troopers or Torchwood: Children of Earth I barely noticed it, to the extent that I thought I could completely live with the issue. There was maybe 2 or 3 instances of fb's and they were minor.

Then I bought Deadwood on Blu Ray...floating blacks were obvious during pretty much any scene taking place at night, and they would appear multiple times during scenes. If the editing was cutting from one person to another, and the lighting was different from one shot to another, the blacks would shift.

DVD wasn't much better, especially content like Angel season 5 for example...the fb's were atrocious, but I would chalk that up to it being a show that has a lot of dark/shadowy lighting.

It's a nice set if it wasn't for that...some people say they can't see floating blacks on the 2010 Panny Plasmas, but I'm of the opinion once you see them, you can't UNSEE them.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:36 PM

Yea that's like the uneven bands.
I searched floating blacks in the G20/25 thread and there is 20 pages of results, so it is making me rethink this.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:33 AM

Any new TV settings with gaming in mind?
Old 05-05-2011, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elux View Post

Any new TV settings with gaming in mind?

I posted this for Eiso but maybe helps you too.

"I think I figured out your gaming issue. Use my gaming settings I posted. Do not forget to use graphics mode. Game mode will crush black on you."
Old 05-05-2011, 01:18 PM

I've used your exact settings in the past for the 40" and they were too dark.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've used your exact settings in the past for the 40" and they were too dark.
To dark you dont like em or to dark the patterns show missing detail? Im willing to 100 percent say that its simply to dark for you not that its out of calibration.

My set is calibrated but I do turn up the brightness in game for Black ops MW2 so that I can see in the shadow corners and nail people. But that is beyond the intended calibrated brightness. The only solution to your issue is turn up the brightness.

Of note I dont kill the black level I turn it up a notch or 2 above where it should be in order to see movement. Though I do know alot of "gamer" types will play the games totally washed out with brightness up so they can see everything in the dark areas.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:09 PM

I searched the thread but couldn't find it, but I remember reading the measurement for the black levels, what was it?

The ST30 I am looking into was measured at 0.013, just wondering how that compares casue I am very satisfied with the blacks on the ex500
Old 05-06-2011, 04:11 AM

I used your settings while playing Fable III and had to place the brightness on max; even then it was too dark. Granted, Fable III is not the greatest choice to base my judgment upon, that game is downright ugly. Nonetheless, I would like to have a decent pair of settings for later this month when L.A. Noire is released.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I used your settings while playing Fable III and had to place the brightness on max; even then it was too dark. Granted, Fable III is not the greatest choice to base my judgment upon, that game is downright ugly. Nonetheless, I would like to have a decent pair of settings for later this month when L.A. Noire is released.

Ok, brightness on max to see means your consoles settings are incorrect, wires or bad console is broken something is downright completely busted with your system.

How is your xbox connected? vga? hdmi? component? composite?

Something is defective. And if the tv works on other sources its not the set.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:44 AM

HDMI
1080p
Standard
YCbCr709

Interestingly, I used settings for a 60" that were posted in the official EX500 calibration settings thread and I was able to set Fable III at one below max brightness and it looked fine.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HDMI
1080p
Standard
YCbCr709

Interestingly, I used settings for a 60" that were posted in the official EX500 calibration settings thread and I was able to set Fable III at one below max brightness and it looked fine.

hmm this is very odd indeed. that looks fine.

Do you mean the in game brightness setting? or the tv brightness setting which should be 50.

What is the in game brightness sliders default setting. If you talking about the in game slider setting I do know that some games simply require thier adjustments to be turned up though max seems odd unless that was the defualt position.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:38 PM

In-game. The default position is in the middle of the slider bar.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Wait a min. I cant check now because my girl is playing wwe 2011 but that color setting. Isnt there an Auto setting. That setting you have is set for movie and tv standard not pc or games.

Pc and Games is RGB. and it will cause issue. At least I think. I cant check atm.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:18 PM

I haven't had good experiences with RGB. The image always looked muddy, for the lack of a better term.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't had good experiences with RGB. The image always looked muddy, for the lack of a better term.

Games must be in rgb. tthe setting you have is for video only. thats the issue.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:46 PM

So you are suggesting I change it to RGB and use your settings? Which resolution and reference level do you use for the Xbox?
Old 05-06-2011, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So you are suggesting I change it to RGB and use your settings? Which resolution and reference level do you use for the Xbox?
No, it should be set to auto. the xbox is more than capable of deciding what to use. That way if you watch netflix or movie trailers or somehting it does it correctly.

1080p and standard

The worst that happens is you change it back . Make sure you turn off and on the xbox after the settings change.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Found service mode entry, being curious looked for elapsed hrs., don't see it.
turn off tv with remote
press display
press 5
press vol +
press power on
Old 05-06-2011, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary cornell View Post
Found service mode entry, being curious looked for elapsed hrs., don't see it.
turn off tv with remote
press display
press 5
press vol +
press power on

There is nothing in there to adjust for image quality. So unles syou need to see hrs used most recommend staying out of there.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Right, white balance option to set grey scale is in user settings.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:49 AM

What is your opinion on "Display Discovery"?
Old 05-07-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

There is nothing in there to adjust for image quality. So unles syou need to see hrs used most recommend staying out of there.

Hey serialmike,

Is there a cms in the service menu?
Old 05-07-2011, 11:27 PM

Anyone figure out settings for PS3 to Sync with this bravia set? I have the 40inch EX500 if that matters. I also connected the slim PS3 to TV with an HDMI cable.

I turn in options for HDMI control on and also HDMI control on for PS3 and it still doesn't sync when I hit the buttons. Anyone else have this problem?

update: I contacted sony via live chat went everything from resetting the TV to powering it off, nothing worked... this fustrates me but they gave me a technical support toll free number

Next few days gave sony technical support a call, they pretty much gave me the same troubleshooting things like unplugging the hdmi cable and disconnecting the tv and PS3 from the outlet. Nothing worked they told me they weren't specialized in PS and referred me to the PS department. PS department was no help as well.

At this point I'm going to assume it's the PS3...
Old 05-10-2011, 03:07 PM

serialmike, I am still coming to the same conclusion in regards to your settings -- they completely crush the blacks.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

serialmike, I am still coming to the same conclusion in regards to your settings -- they completely crush the blacks.

Are you checking that with a calibration disc or is it your guess? Is it that specific game or all games.

All I can tell you is that the settings I have posted work perfectly for the 60ex500. They also have been reported to be great for other versions of the set. Though I dont remember a 40 inch specifically.

Due to the brightness setting being at 50 and really not much to change I would say either something is defective or its you. I don't know what to tell you other than to swap out parts. Wires, xbox etc. Perhaps trying a different input.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

Are you checking that with a calibration disc or is it your guess? Is it that specific game or all games.

All I can tell you is that the settings I have posted work perfectly for the 60ex500. They also have been reported to be great for other versions of the set. Though I dont remember a 40 inch specifically.

Due to the brightness setting being at 50 and really not much to change I would say either something is defective or its you. I don't know what to tell you other than to swap out parts. Wires, xbox etc. Perhaps trying a different input.

Serialmike,
I have a 40 inch, and I am wondering which settings are better to use cnet or yours. For your settings, I see that there is a blue tinge on black scenes, again this is only with my eyes not scientific, but when I reduce the b gain from + 8 to 0 the black scenes are manageable and not as blue. I am new to hdtvs and calibration, so forgive me for asking stupid questions. But when I compare your settings against cnet settings, cnet has the "pop" with colors while your settings are more natural and precevied "dullness". I am just confused with calibraiton, is calibration suppose to make colors pop and show fine detail or is it that cnet's settings are wrong and your settings are correct because there is more accuracy. Much thanks in advance on this.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasupilla View Post

Serialmike,
I have a 40 inch, and I am wondering which settings are better to use cnet or yours. For your settings, I see that there is a blue tinge on black scenes, again this is only with my eyes not scientific, but when I reduce the b gain from + 8 to 0 the black scenes are manageable and not as blue. I am new to hdtvs and calibration, so forgive me for asking stupid questions. But when I compare your settings against cnet settings, cnet has the "pop" with colors while your settings are more natural and precevied "dullness". I am just confused with calibraiton, is calibration suppose to make colors pop and show fine detail or is it that cnet's settings are wrong and your settings are correct because there is more accuracy. Much thanks in advance on this.

use cnets if they look better to you
i also find mikes make blacks look blue
he will come in and tell you that all sony and samsungs have blue blacks but i totally disagree
Old 05-11-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Vasupilla - Here's a great article for beginners and old timers alike, on calibration:

Calibration, what is it?
http://www.digitalversus.com/getting...ticle-588.html
Old 05-11-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

use cnets if they look better to you
i also find mikes make blacks look blue
he will come in and tell you that all sony and samsungs have blue blacks but i totally disagree

The charts do not lie. You will find that 0-15 ire range on the greyscale go blue. Turning down the blue makes black less blue though still slightly blue. But also makes 0-20 or 30 ire in the greyscale orangey and dingy.

The way I set it yes its a little more blue in that zone but the trade off is exponentially better greyscale 20-100ire.

you can use whichever suits you more.

This one is from the current calibration

This one is default warm2

As you can see Blue does go up at 10ire with my calibration but the only way to get 20 on to 100 flat online is to do what I did. The blue at 0-10-15 ire is why cnet says blue tinted sony and sammy lcd sets.

Until someone proves to me it can be done better than that im stickin with what I got And by prove Im gonna need charts. Which btw cnet doesnt show.

Tags
Sony Bravia 60 Inch Lcd Hdtv Kdl 60ex500 , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 52v5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread