Forum Jump: 

post #4831 of 6195 Old 05-11-2011, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

The charts do not lie. You will find that 0-15 ire range on the greyscale go blue. Turning down the blue makes black less blue though still slightly blue. But also makes 0-20 or 30 ire in the greyscale orangey and dingy.

The way I set it yes its a little more blue in that zone but the trade off is exponentially better greyscale 20-100ire.

you can use whichever suits you more.

This one is from the current calibration

This one is default warm2

As you can see Blue does go up at 10ire with my calibration but the only way to get 20 on to 100 flat online is to do what I did. The blue at 0-10-15 ire is why cnet says blue tinted sony and sammy lcd sets.

Until someone proves to me it can be done better than that im stickin with what I got And by prove Im gonna need charts. Which btw cnet doesnt show.

So Mike then on your set the blacks have blue tinge to them then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 6195 Old 05-11-2011, 11:20 AM

Can more people start posting their settings, please!
post #4833 of 6195 Old 05-11-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasupilla View Post

So Mike then on your set the blacks have blue tinge to them then?

I have been using mike's setting in my 60EX700 and if there is any blue in the blacks, it's hard, very hard to see. Then again, each tv is different from each other, with the white balance showing the most differences between tv's.

Mike is correct in saying that the charts do_not_lie. That is the essence to a calibration. You can do it by eyesight alone, but that is not calibration, that is merely adjusting the tv to your likeness, which is alright. After all, it's YOUR tv...
post #4834 of 6195 Old 05-11-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elux View Post
Can more people start posting their settings, please!
No need
SerialMikes are the only correct ones
post #4835 of 6195 Old 05-11-2011, 12:20 PM

They're awful.
post #4836 of 6195 Old 05-11-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They're awful.
Use DN145, they might work for you!
post #4837 of 6195 Old 05-11-2011, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post
I have been using mike's setting in my 60EX700 and if there is any blue in the blacks, it's hard, very hard to see. Then again, each tv is different from each other, with the white balance showing the most differences between tv's.

Mike is correct in saying that the charts do_not_lie. That is the essence to a calibration. You can do it by eyesight alone, but that is not calibration, that is merely adjusting the tv to your likeness, which is alright. After all, it's YOUR tv...
^ +1
I have the 60EX500 and Mike's settings are pretty much spot on with blacks looking deep and inky with no sign of blue. Again this is for a 60 inch set with the Sharp panel. If you're seeing blue tinged blacks then it's obvious that these settings that work for the 60 incher ain't cuttin it for your size. There have been a few others who have done their own callibrations for various other sets and they are contained within this thread. Here's one of 'em here and again there are others scattered about.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post19700465

...... and another;

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post19046086

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #4838 of 6195 Old 05-11-2011, 02:51 PM

I was recently issued a refurbished 40EX500 by Sony in exchange for an old tube HD TV that shot craps. I also have the 46xbr6 which I love. I have noticed on the EX500, particularly on live studio video like local newscasts, if I get any closer to the screen than about 4 feet, all the speakers look like their makeup was put on with a putty knife. It's like individual pixels have been mushed together. Although I don't watch the tv from that close, it doesn't seem right. No such issue on the 46xbr6. I've tried most of the various settings in this thread with no improvement. Any thoughts?

The urge to perform is not an indication of talent. -GK
post #4839 of 6195 Old 05-11-2011, 03:01 PM

Warm2 is just plain gross. And backlight on min is ridiculous, how can you see anything? I've been over this thread twice and have yet to find definitive settings.
post #4840 of 6195 Old 05-11-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

Hughh,
You are right, I am using Mike's settings as a benchmark even though I have 40 inch and it is a different panel that yours and Mikes. But where the confusion happens is that cnet states that their settings are for all sizes, while in the forum there are numerous references that screen sizes do matter. So mine is samsung and yours is sharp, so your calibration will be different than mine. As stated I am curious and just wondering if I am getting a proper natural picture as it is meant to be seen.
post #4841 of 6195 Old 05-11-2011, 03:55 PM

I'm using serialmike's settings on my 40" EX500 with great success. I do have the Color-Temp set to neutral because of the different panel used with this set. One thing that has not been mentioned is the role of the source broadcast. You can calibrate & fiddle all you want but if the source is bad there's nothing you can do.

Additionally, while serialmike's setting are pretty much dead on for watching TV OTA I've had to reduce the brightness to 30 and increase the picture to 97 to get a decent result from my DVD player which is connected via the component video input. I did check this with the AVIA II DVD levels patterns which checked out but I have no idea why these settings work this way but they both look great to me.

Hopefully someone will add support for the XRITE DTP-94 so I can calibrate using a meter.
post #4842 of 6195 Old 05-11-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thilt View Post

I was recently issued a refurbished 40EX500 by Sony in exchange for an old tube HD TV that shot craps. I also have the 46xbr6 which I love. I have noticed on the EX500, particularly on live studio video like local newscasts, if I get any closer to the screen than about 4 feet, all the speakers look like their makeup was put on with a putty knife. It's like individual pixels have been mushed together. Although I don't watch the tv from that close, it doesn't seem right. No such issue on the 46xbr6. I've tried most of the various settings in this thread with no improvement. Any thoughts?

Never mind. Figured it out. For some reason my sharpness was set too high. Best results seem to be at "minimum".

The urge to perform is not an indication of talent. -GK
post #4843 of 6195 Old 05-11-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedPlane View Post

I'm using serialmike's settings on my 40" EX500 with great success. I do have the Color-Temp set to neutral because of the different panel used with this set. One thing that has not been mentioned is the role of the source broadcast. You can calibrate & fiddle all you want but if the source is bad there's nothing you can do.

Additionally, while serialmike's setting are pretty much dead on for watching TV OTA I've had to reduce the brightness to 30 and increase the picture to 97 to get a decent result from my DVD player which is connected via the component video input. I did check this with the AVIA II DVD levels patterns which checked out but I have no idea why these settings work this way but they both look great to me.

Hopefully someone will add support for the XRITE DTP-94 so I can calibrate using a meter.

Zed,
Thanks for you reply. Yes the source is important as well, crap in crap out. BTW are you also using his WB values as well.
post #4844 of 6195 Old 05-11-2011, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Mike, what was your Warm 2 temp before calibration and after? Curious to see how it compares with my 46" to be calibrated next month.
post #4845 of 6195 Old 05-12-2011, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Here's a recap on the settings I've been using for months now and I'm happy with them on my 55EX500, not sure if anyone else will like 'em but if they help you then good...

Custom
Backlight.............1
Picture.................90
Brightness...........50
Color...................50
Hue......................0
Color Temp..........Warm2
Sharpness............3
Noise Reduction...Off
MPEG NR.............Off
Motionflow...........Standard
CineMotion...........Auto 2
ACE......................Off
Black Corrector....Off
Gamma.................0
Clear White...........Off
Live Color..............Off
White Balance.......default (0)
Ambient Sensor......Off

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
post #4846 of 6195 Old 05-12-2011, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary cornell View Post

Mike, what was your Warm 2 temp before calibration and after? Curious to see how it compares with my 46" to be calibrated next month.

Avg temp 20-80ire 6496 calibrated.

Avg temp 20-80ire 6001 uncalibrated. (Reddish and due to low blue Yellow antique tinge too.)

I posted the charts a few posts back.
post #4847 of 6195 Old 05-12-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I have been using serialmike's settings on my 55". I will try and run a pre/post calibration on my over the next few days to see if I get similiar results or not.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #4848 of 6195 Old 05-12-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Warm2 is just plain gross. And backlight on min is ridiculous, how can you see anything? I've been over this thread twice and have yet to find definitive settings.

Exaggerate much? Serialmike's settings aren't for everyone but there's no need to insult the guy! I don't like Warm2 but wouldn't call it "gross". Also, its easy to see the picture with backlight on minimum, though its obviously not best for a very bright room. As you apparently have a problem with all settings posted then why not dial in your own preferred settings or pay to get a professional calibration done and let us know how that goes?
post #4849 of 6195 Old 05-12-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

Nothing is perfect. Even my panny plasma G10 I could see uniformity issue in the glass coating that would catch my eye with certain sold shades on the screen. Me I wouldnt worry about something that I see very little if it is very little or at all unless it was a screen for empty video.

But if it ended up bothering me enough I would return it.

One day ill buy the absolute perfect tv and my kid will put something thru the screen the first hour its on. hahaha

Yep my GT25 does have it too, it is way more mild than the ex500's were so I can diffidently live with it. Running the break in slides I can faintly notice it on certain colors. Beining to think it is just something that you are gonna get from flat panel tvs.
post #4850 of 6195 Old 05-12-2011, 11:21 AM

I've posted a video on YouTube that may give everyone an idea of what I am talking about. The video was recorded with my iPod, which is the best I can do. Another note to mention is that the picture quality is much darker in real life than what is relayed in the below video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ31IGr_0QE
post #4851 of 6195 Old 05-12-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:

I've posted a video on YouTube that may give everyone an idea of what I am talking about. The video was recorded with my iPod, which is the best I can do. Another note to mention is that the picture quality is much darker in real life than what is relayed in the below video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ31IGr_0QE

Looks ok to me. While you are playing RDR pan the camera across the night sky and see if you can see vertical bands at all, has to me night though.
post #4852 of 6195 Old 05-12-2011, 11:25 AM

One more note, I am using serialmike's settings, with 1080P, Standard, and Auto as was suggested.
post #4853 of 6195 Old 05-12-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:

BTW are you also using his WB values as well.

Yes I am & I must say that these really made everything POP! even on the DVD's.
post #4854 of 6195 Old 05-12-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is why they have Warm 1 , Normal. I watch B&W in Normal & use Warm 2 for Color? I was showed do Warm 1, Then try Warm 2 but watch it a Night or Two. Then if Warm 2 is to Red start back step.
Remember its Your TV !
post #4855 of 6195 Old 05-12-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Or, his Warm 2 temp is below 6500 which could account for too much red. Can't go wrong with a pro calibration, makes a good picture even better.
post #4856 of 6195 Old 05-12-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary cornell
Or, his Warm 2 temp is below 6500 which could account for too much red. Can't go wrong with a pro calibration, makes a good picture even better.
It's too bad most pro's charge out the wahzoo....I for one am not rich and to have to fork out over 400.00 or there about is ludicrous.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
post #4857 of 6195 Old 05-13-2011, 03:56 AM

What are the negatives to using the default Game Mode settings? Is the backlight to high for instance, or the shrapness? Just wondering..
post #4858 of 6195 Old 05-13-2011, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I dont use min backlight. I use one to bring the light output of the set to 35 ftl which is industry stadard bte. Not the 40 ftl cnet likes to use for plasma and 40 fro lcd. Which btw is also why the black level scores less on their lcd tests.

@elux. I found game mode to have a slight black crush in it. Graphics mode has the same lag as game mode with not crush.

Agian , I posted a chart that plainly shows that the color temp of my set calibrated is an almost perfect 6500. In fact the avg is 6496 which is ungodly close. I cant speak for other sizzes but if you put the settings into a 60ex5 you ARE going to get a set that is as perfect as this model can be. PERIOD.

It isnt about pop, it isnt about bright, it sint about anythign other than my settings set the set as close to industry standard as can be and I am willing to say there aint nothing a 400 dollar certified calibrator can do more to get it better. There just arent any settings in service menu to do anything better with.
post #4859 of 6195 Old 05-13-2011, 11:01 PM

@ Serial Mike,

Mike, I am curious on your take of this review, albeit it is the european model, I think there is similarities.
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-...0100603700.htm

Btw, attached are the settings:
Picture Mode: Cinema
Backlight: 1
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 50
Colour: 48
Hue: 0
Colour temperature: Warm 2
Sharpness : 0
Noise reduction: Off
MPEG Noise reduction: Off
Motion Flow: Standard
Film Mode: Auto 2

Black Corrector: Off
Advanced Contrast Enhancer: Off
Gamma: +1
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Colour: Off

R Gain: -1
G Gain: -1
B Gain: -2
R Bias: 0
G Bias: +1
B Bias: -3
The charts are posted within the link of review
post #4860 of 6195 Old 05-14-2011, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
@ Serial Mike,

Mike, I am curious on your take of this review, albeit it is the european model, I think there is similarities.
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-...0100603700.htm

Btw, attached are the settings:
Picture Mode: Cinema
Backlight: 1
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 50
Colour: 48
Hue: 0
Colour temperature: Warm 2
Sharpness : 0
Noise reduction: Off
MPEG Noise reduction: Off
Motion Flow: Standard
Film Mode: Auto 2

Black Corrector: Off
Advanced Contrast Enhancer: Off
Gamma: +1
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Colour: Off

R Gain: -1
G Gain: -1
B Gain: -2
R Bias: 0
G Bias: +1
B Bias: -3
The charts are posted within the link of review
Its a little hard to compare due to overseas versions having bravia3 which makes the ace work differently and worse as you can see fluctuation. Ace on makes our ex5's much better. Another thing I see is thier greyscale is way worse than what I got. Though I know exactly why. Mine used to look that way. Then I realized other tweaks that I could do to the white balance to get mine where it is.

He does seem to have a better gamma than mine but gamma really isnt an issue unless your way out.

Not to be cocky but looking at it, I know more about the set than he does when it comes to calibrating it. The reason is I spent alot more time. But I can tell there are things he doesnt realize about how the settings work. Normal white balance doesnt effect other things so he just did what you normally would do when calibrating. I found out the the white balance does effect things it shouldnt and I compensated and utilized these type of things when calibrating the set.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia 60 Inch Lcd Hdtv Kdl 60ex500 , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 52v5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page