Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmileage View Post

subscribing to this thread.

Thanks for the warning...

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #543 of 6195 Old 03-31-2010, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm interested in this model, but I've a question about using it for PC gaming.

I gather that it will display 1920x1080 from my PC, if I go from the HDMI port on my video card to the HDMI input on the tv.

But the manual has a note on displaying 1920x1080 from the PC into the HDMI input. It says:

"The 1080p timing when applied to the HDMI input will be treated as a video timing and not PC timing. This affects Picture settings and Wide Mode settings. To view PC content set Scene Select to Graphics, Wide Mode to Full, and Display Area to Full Pixel."

Can someone explain what this means?

Aside from that, I'd be keen to hear some general thoughts from anybody who has used this model for PC gaming.
post #544 of 6195 Old 03-31-2010, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
My local Walmart now has the EX500 series on their wall (along with the EX700) in all the sizes except for the 60inch version.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #545 of 6195 Old 03-31-2010, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

My local Walmart now has the EX500 series on their wall (along with the EX700) in all the sizes except for the 60inch version.

I think Im off the XBR local led. That thing is gonna be 4-5k and I dont want to drop a down payment on a vehicle for a tv anymore. What do you like better so far Pen the ex 500 or 700?

Settings
60EX500

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

60ex500 new version

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #546 of 6195 Old 03-31-2010, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRKes4 View Post

I'm interested in this model, but I've a question about using it for PC gaming.

I gather that it will display 1920x1080 from my PC, if I go from the HDMI port on my video card to the HDMI input on the tv.

But the manual has a note on displaying 1920x1080 from the PC into the HDMI input. It says:

"The 1080p timing when applied to the HDMI input will be treated as a video timing and not PC timing. This affects Picture settings and Wide Mode settings. To view PC content set Scene Select to Graphics, Wide Mode to Full, and Display Area to Full Pixel."

Can someone explain what this means?

Basically, it states that when using an HDTV PC resolution, you will have most if not all of the
picture adjustments available as though you were using the internal tuner.

When you have your graphics card set to HDTV resolutions of 1920x1080 or 1280x720,
the TV treats the input as an HDTV video signal, not a PC signal.
Therefore, some picture settings not available with PC timing will be available with HDTV video timing.

Make sure that your PC is set to 1080p, 1080i will look awful.
Scene select Graphics gives you clearer text.
Display area full pixel (or +1 setting) gives actual size. (Same as dot for dot.)

On another note, the PIP will not work with HDTV video timing.
If you want to use PIP, you need to change to a PC timing resolution.
post #547 of 6195 Old 03-31-2010, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

I think Im off the XBR local led. That thing is gonna be 4-5k and I dont want to drop a down payment on a vehicle for a tv anymore. What do you like better so far Pen the ex 500 or 700?

The EX500 had much better viewing angles, it was very obvious even in Walmart. (held true in all the sizes that I saw) I also thought that the EX500 had deeper and richer colors, but this was a Walmart so that can easily have been skewed.

I only had a few minutes to look them over, but the EX500 was the most impressive set on the wall and I will be getting the 60EX500 in a few months once they are readily availible and their price comes down a bit.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #548 of 6195 Old 03-31-2010, 09:01 AM

This post is in regards to the USB input on the Sony EX-500 and playing videos (movies).

I just purchased and received a 55" EX-500 from the sonystyle website (first flatscreen, yay).

I have a bunch of video files on my computer that i used to watch on my old CRT no problem. I just hooked up my laptop to my old tv via s-video and viola, vlc played all my movies on my tv.

Now I have a usb drive, that plays video, YAY. No more need to use my laptop as my media player on my tv. The only catch is, the EX-500 only supports mpeg 1 and mpeg 2 file formats to play video. Since most of my video files are either avi or mkv I needed to find a program to convert to a compatible format.

Look no longer, its a great program called VisualHub and is very cheap (although not in development any longer). I would post a link, but there are restrictions on this site and this is my first time posting. Just go to versiontracker dot com and search the program name to download.

The program is very easy, you drag and drop the source file into the window, select mpeg from the top tabs, and select the checkbox next to MPEG 2. (i don't have surround sound so not sure what audio format it outputs)

And I tried Quicktime (7), but wasn't able to maintain the 24 frames per second from the source file. (I think it only let me encode as mpeg 1 as well)
post #549 of 6195 Old 03-31-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj21 View Post

This post is in regards to the USB input on the Sony EX-500 and playing videos (movies).

I just purchased and received a 55" EX-500 from the sonystyle website (first flatscreen, yay).

I have a bunch of video files on my computer that i used to watch on my old CRT no problem. I just hooked up my laptop to my old tv via s-video and viola, vlc played all my movies on my tv.

Now I have a usb drive, that plays video, YAY. No more need to use my laptop as my media player on my tv. The only catch is, the EX-500 only supports mpeg 1 and mpeg 2 file formats to play video. Since most of my video files are either avi or mkv I needed to find a program to convert to a compatible format.

Look no longer, its a great program called VisualHub and is very cheap (although not in development any longer). I would post a link, but there are restrictions on this site and this is my first time posting. Just go to versiontracker dot com and search the program name to download.

The program is very easy, you drag and drop the source file into the window, select mpeg from the top tabs, and select the checkbox next to MPEG 2. (i don't have surround sound so not sure what audio format it outputs)

And I tried Quicktime (7), but wasn't able to maintain the 24 frames per second from the source file. (I think it only let me encode as mpeg 1 as well)

What size do you convert them at? The output I get is tiny relative to the screensize. Doesn't even make the USB functionality worthwhile for video.
post #550 of 6195 Old 03-31-2010, 02:44 PM

is there a detailed review up on the 55EX500 yet???

someone has to have done reviews, wtf!!! lol.

anyways keeping our eyes on this thread and others that are looking into the same LCD.

J & Jen
post #551 of 6195 Old 03-31-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoman_99 View Post

is there a detailed review up on the 55EX500 yet???

someone has to have done reviews, wtf!!! lol.

anyways keeping our eyes on this thread and others that are looking into the same LCD.

J & Jen

yeah eagerly awaiting a review with black level measured or compared to toher known entitiy sets. etc.

Settings
60EX500

60ex500 new version

post #552 of 6195 Old 03-31-2010, 04:22 PM

Got the 46 inch EXL501 today from Costco for 799.99, could not believe the price. Have not mounted it yet. Just ordered the mount today from Monoprice. Cant wait for it to arrive and get this TV up on my wall.

I read on this thread that if you buy the TV from Costco with you AMEX card you get an additional year added to the 3 year warranty for a total of 4 years. Does anyone have a link from AMEX or Costco that states this? I asked someone at Costco about it and he said he was not sure.
post #553 of 6195 Old 03-31-2010, 05:30 PM

I had to smile when I read about about how distracting the bottom part of the bezel is to some folks because of its gray color. I'm reminded of how Sony set the TV design world on its ear some years ago when they introduced some Trinitron TVs that were all silver. Other companies followed their lead and, for a while, silver TVs and related electronics were the latest fad.
LL
post #554 of 6195 Old 03-31-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding View Post

I had to smile when I read about about how distracting the bottom part of the bezel is to some folks because of its gray color. I'm reminded of how Sony set the TV design world on its ear some years ago when they introduced some Trinitron TVs that were all silver. Other companies followed their lead and, for a while, silver TVs and related electronics were the latest fad.

Hahahaa yeah we remember that lmao... actually still have an old silver one .... goood point. ;-)
post #555 of 6195 Old 03-31-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVARUHokie View Post

Got the 46 inch EXL501 today from Costco for 799.99, could not believe the price. .

I think you got the 40"ex501 for that price... lol... but still a nice tv...
post #556 of 6195 Old 03-31-2010, 07:18 PM

Nope, got the 46 for that price. I think I can read the side of the box. Here is the story.

Costco is selling the 46 for 999.99

I called two costco's in my area one had 8 but said they were all for rain check holders. I called the other and the manager told me that he had 3 but they were all for raincheck holders. He also said that sometimes the people who have rain checks never come back to pick up the product so he said if I came down today I could pick one up. So I did. I asked him why 11 people had rain checks for them? He said that there is some coupon or discount out there now that expires on Saturday April 3rd and people wanted to take advantage of this discount but they were previoulsy out of stock of the 46 inch model. Hench all the rain checks.

When he rang me up he knew I did not have a rain check and he gave me the discount anyway. I was floored. I fully expected to pay 999.99. I can scan the reciept and upload it if you dont believe me.
post #557 of 6195 Old 03-31-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:

Nope, got the 46 for that price. I think I can read the side of the box. Here is the story.

I called two costco's in my area one had 8 but said they were all for rain check holders. I called the other and the manager told me that he had 3 but they were all for raincheck holders. He also said that sometimes the people who have rain checks never come back to pick up the product so he said if I came down today I could pick one up. So I did. I asked him why 11 people had rain checks for them? He said that there is some coupon or discount out there now that expires on Saturday April 3rd and people wanted to take advantage of this discount but they were previoulsy out of stock of the 46 inch model. Hench all the rain checks.

When he rang me up he knew I did not have a rain check and he gave me the discount anyway. I was floored. I fully expected to pay 999.99. I can scan the reciept and upload it if you dont believe me.

I believe you..... lol ..... Wow, right place, right time I would say my friend.........

I got lucky like that once... quick story... I used to be into satellite hacking ie.. direct tv/ dish net, the name of the game was to get all of the H and HU and dishnet cards as possible to hack/program use and sell.. During this time of hacking dish and directv it was getting very hard to get a hold of the coveted access cards... they were getting scarce... Anyways I ordered 15 Direct tv boxes ( which contained the valuable HU cards) from Walmart.com I think for like $40 a box. Anyways within a few days I recieve my shipment of Direct Tv boxes and I was loving it. Take the Hu card and throw the direct tv unit in the basement.. The very next day the door bell rings and to my surprise its Ups with another shipment of 15 boxes of direct tv units w/ HU cards....... evidently walmart double shipped me my order... and I was never charged for the second shipment.... anyway thats my soap box of glory...

but anyway enjoy the TV and report back how it is... cheers!
post #558 of 6195 Old 04-01-2010, 04:15 AM

Thanks! I wont be mounting it and getting it all connected for a week or two. I have to do a little construction in my living room to be able to run the cables the way I want to. Once I do I will post some pics.

What did you do with all those sat boxes once you took the cards out? just keep em in your basement forever?
post #559 of 6195 Old 04-01-2010, 05:02 AM

Quote:

I also got mine for $799.99. I had a rain check for mine. I had to wait a few weeks to get it but well worth the wait.
post #560 of 6195 Old 04-01-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:

Thanks! I wont be mounting it and getting it all connected for a week or two. I have to do a little construction in my living room to be able to run the cables the way I want to. Once I do I will post some pics.

What did you do with all those sat boxes once you took the cards out? just keep em in your basement forever?

I just moved last year and finally got rid of them/ trashed them... Even though these directv sets were now worthless it was still kind of hard cuz these were all brand new... sigh... lol

Anyway... I just picked up a 46ex501 lastnight but dammit I had to pay full price... No raincheck for me cuz my costco has about 20 of them in stock... in fact they have like 20 of all their tv's in stock.... guess thats good if I decide to return the 501 for the 701...
post #561 of 6195 Old 04-01-2010, 07:57 AM

what does kdl in the model number stand for? that seems to exist year after year.

Is there a reccomended power strip for the 55" - does it require a better one because it's so big? I have a 3 year old monster surge strip thing for "home theater" has lables for tv, dvd, receiver, vcr, I bought when I got a 46" (and then returned) - not sure the ohms or whatever but wondering if there is a general standard requirement.
post #562 of 6195 Old 04-01-2010, 08:14 AM

Did they have a sale on them for 799.99 and they ran out? Is that why you got a raincheck? Or did they have a coupon in their latest mailing? Just curious, thats all. Stoked that I was able to take advantage of it. My Costco Membership has already paid for itslef with the 200 off the tv and the 4 year warannty that comes with the Sony for free.

When I originally saw the TV on the Costco Website it was listed for 1049.00
post #563 of 6195 Old 04-01-2010, 09:36 AM

Just picked up my 55" #501 at Costco. Box is so big that I can't shut the back window on my S10 so I got it backed up against the building at work so no scumsucker can steal it. It's replacing a 50" Panny plasma that the repair shop couldn't fix after trying 2 panels and a board. I was using a 19" 20 YO Panasonic as a replacement - that is until tonight .
post #564 of 6195 Old 04-01-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheidis View Post

That happened to me with Charter Cable -- just whatever box they have is what you get - they told me I got "lucky" because I got one with HDMI, but the box itself got really hot, so I returned it to them after a week and got a Tivo HD box.

I highly reccomend Tivo if you want DVR anyway, the SD channels look much better with the Tivo box than they did with the cable box, and BOTH were/are hooked up via HDMI.

Otherwise you can get a cable box, and if it doesn't have HDMI return it ("cancel") and keep getting another one until you get the one you want.

Cool, thanks for the tips! Tivo looks intriguing although a bit pricy right now. Will have to research it.
post #565 of 6195 Old 04-01-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding View Post

I'm one of the ones bothered by it (I know, possibly the biggest complainer) and it's funny you mention this, because I loved silver in the early 2000s, and I still have a 27" Wega silver TV, I also had a 20" LCD silver TV, and they are actually the reason I don't like silver bezels anymore - it is distracting, but not overly so -- and I was used to it, but when black came back I really noticed how much I prefer black, so it was disappointing to see the silver sneaking it's way back in -- turns out I'm going to be getting it anyway since I don't have a costco, hopefully I won't care. At least it's 3/4 black.
post #566 of 6195 Old 04-01-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmileage View Post

Just picked up my 55" #501 at Costco. Box is so big that I can't shut the back window on my S10 so I got it backed up against the building at work so no scumsucker can steal it. It's replacing a 50" Panny plasma that the repair shop couldn't fix after trying 2 panels and a board. I was using a 19" 20 YO Panasonic as a replacement - that is until tonight .

So the talk of the box too big for a truck is scaring me just a bit, I'm going for the 55" in a 7-8 foot away room because I want to go big - but starting to worry I may have gone too big. It depends on who you talk to - and I think I'm the kind that thinks the bigger the better - but still a bit worried because I don't want i to be ridiculous.

in 2006, I very temporarily had a 46" that I returned, and while big enough, it was nowhere near too big. And I currently have a 32" sony hdtv L series in there while I wait for the new one, and I find it so small for the room that it's not even enjoyable for me to watch, and wii on it was way too small, even up close. (although it works beautifully in the computer room at a 5 foot distance).

So does it sound like I'm gonna be ok with 55"?
post #567 of 6195 Old 04-01-2010, 12:44 PM

My 60EX500 was delivered this afternoon! It looks amazing, with no problems. I wanted to calibrate the picture using the Digital Video Essentials Blu-ray disc. So I first put the TV in to the "Cinema" scene mode. When I called up all the test patterns on DVE, I was surprised to find that I did not have to change a single setting on the Sony. It was as if DVE had been used at the factory to set the Cinema scene mode. I'm guessing there will be some variability among individual sets, but on mine, the presets were perfect. Nice!
post #568 of 6195 Old 04-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

anyone try gaming on one of these yet? how is the input lag?
post #569 of 6195 Old 04-01-2010, 04:46 PM

I am wondering about gaming as well. Any lags?
post #570 of 6195 Old 04-01-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony6225 View Post

anyone try gaming on one of these yet? how is the input lag?

I have been playing a lot of games through both component (Wii) and HDMI (PS3). Not all of them twitch games but as long as I set the TV to the 'game' scene I don't notice any lag, even on pretty timing sensitive games like Gradius Rebirth. This is coming directly from a CRT and it feels the exact same to both my girlfriend and I. Haven't done any of the formal testing though.
Edit: at first I was reluctant to buy it because I'd heard of lag problems, but got a deal on the 46" so figured I'd at least give it a shot and have been happy.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia 60 Inch Lcd Hdtv Kdl 60ex500 , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 52v5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread - 52v5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page