Forum Jump: 

post #5731 of 6195 Old 10-11-2011, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

The set by todays standards is a very very good set for lag. It runs about 40ms in game or graphics mode. I play MW2 Blops online I did switch to custom mode without cinemotion and motionflow off. They MUST be off for gaming. Anyway when doing this I didn't get any worse at the game. K/D is still good.

Word of advice from someone that since 04 has had to many sets
50 panny plasma (dont remember the number returned it fast
50 pioneerr elite 1020
50 sxrd xbr2
55a2000
54 pannyg10
60ex500

These are all top notch sets for image. I hated each and every one of them at one point. Till I got to the ex500. The ex500 is easily the best of them all overall. But If I wanted to I could hate this set too.

If you look for the negatives you'll find em. On every and all sets. If you look for the positives you'll enjoy any and all sets.

Another piece of advice is with each and every set your going to learn more and more about image quality, motion, processing etc.

Its going to get easier and easier to hate a set and harder and harder to love one.

For example your own original set was great for years around 5 or 6 if I remember when the v2500 was out. Now a similar same set with incredibly better black level doesnt seem to do it for you. Also of note is the size thing. When going big you WILL see more defects in image and lose sharpness. A 60 is going to look soft next to a 55 and 46 is going to look soft next to a 40. Turning up the sharpness doesnt fix that.

Good points. I was actually not "too" annoyed with horrible blacks until I read so many complaints about poor blacks the past couple years. lol

But regardless... noise in the picture bothers me more than any other negative a tv can have. I didn't have to look for that negative as I noticed it right off.

We'll see what happens. I'm not returningt his until I am sure I want plasma or a 3D led....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5732 of 6195 Old 10-11-2011, 02:23 PM

I have a KDL46EX501. I have a ps3 and i play black ops on 1080p. When i press multiplayer on the main menu and then it goes to the player match screen which shows your nat type and the world map and stuff. I am seeing some weird images on the left side of the screen. The whole left side has moving clouds which don't show too much but can be seen. What i am seeing and have always seen since i purchased this tv is that there is some weird wave like looking patterns and they look pixelated. In the middle and top left of the left side the color is a dark grayish color and when the colors get brighter going towards the right there are like wavy band like shapes going vertical. I don't know if it is because i am running black ops on 1080p and should run it at 720p or something. I have tried so many things in order to fix but to no success. If you guys know what this is please let me know. Also when i am loading a match and it shows the map and stuff i see this black bar that sometimes shows very black and then different times loading a match it gets much lighter. I have no clue what is going on here. I also play zombies and in Der Riese i looked up in the sky and the blue part of the sky was very pixelated. Also the moon look jagged around the edges. It looked extremely crappy. I would appreciate your guys very much. I enjoy reading what you guys write and use mike's settings which i enjoy but since i have a 46" i change them up since a '46 is supposedly different in a way which is stupid.

Thanks,
Gabe
post #5733 of 6195 Old 10-11-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed in another one of your posts, your video source is DirectTV. Have you, by any chance, gone to the Directv box and adjust the settings to 1080i/1080p? I had a similar problem when I first went to directv. The box defaulted to 480p, causing all kinds of problems with the blacks, especially in fast moving scenes such as sports..

Of course, that was a long time ago and maybe now things are different.

Edit: This post is directed to Midnight
post #5734 of 6195 Old 10-11-2011, 04:02 PM

Using serialmikes settings does not get rid of the artifacts you see with this tv in dark scenes. I dont think any settings can get rid of these artifacts. Despite the artifacts I still love this tv and I dont plan on upgrading anytime soon. I guess it just boils down to whether you can live with the artifacts.
post #5735 of 6195 Old 10-11-2011, 04:18 PM

yes, but like I said it's not so much this tv bothering me as much as it's that my old tv was great also. And it is a Sony also, thus explaining why a lot would be similar despite it being a few years old. So yes it's a great picture, but it's similar to what I already have which takes away some value since the extra 6 inches would be the main gain in getting it. Check out 40v2500 ratigns. It's rated 4 and 1/2 stars on Amazon also. In my opinion it's this tv, but with a 60 refresh.
post #5736 of 6195 Old 10-11-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight77 View Post

yes, but like I said it's not so much this tv bothering me as much as it's that my old tv was great also. And it is a Sony also, thus explaining why a lot would be similar despite it being a few years old. So yes it's a great picture, but it's similar to what I already have which takes away some value since the extra 6 inches would be the main gain in getting it. Check out 40v2500 ratigns. It's rated 4 and 1/2 stars on Amazon also. In my opinion it's this tv, but with a 60 refresh.

Midnight, we're trying to help you. Don't give me any "yes, but..." Go to the Directv box, hit menu and tells us what settings you see!!!
post #5737 of 6195 Old 10-11-2011, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Honestly in 5 years there wasnt much to change. The picture and color accuracy is good the blacks have been improving and they are in the range of 500 percent better. your old set is at least .050. Plus motion handling has gotten infinitely better with 120 hz.

The biggest concern over the past few years since your set was motion and black level till 08. since then it wasnt so much improving the sets it has been making them cheaper. A 40v2500 was like 3000 dollars. the ex500 line flagship at 60 was 2k and even less by the end of the year. So I dont see how 60 for 30 percent less than a 40 and 5times better black level isnt worth the deal.

Now if you want better quality by a 3000 dollar sony again and you'll see the price range improvement. then you'll get 240 hz motion even better and youll get full array local dimming.
post #5738 of 6195 Old 10-11-2011, 04:52 PM

yes idneed black levels should be better on this one.

To the other poster, whichs ettings? i didn't notice anyone ask about my diectv settings. But what i can tell you is that on an lg tv and on the sony hx820 the full pixel option was there for me to use.
post #5739 of 6195 Old 10-11-2011, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes idneed black levels should be better on this one.

To the other poster, whichs ettings? i didn't notice anyone ask about my diectv settings. But what i can tell you is that on an lg tv and on the sony hx820 the full pixel option was there for me to use.

You make it very difficult to help. Go read my post above and see which settings I asked you to check...BTW, at my advanced age, I do not have much patience any longer!
post #5740 of 6195 Old 10-11-2011, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I think I'm starting to get vertigo from all this!

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
post #5741 of 6195 Old 10-11-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBerger View Post

I agree!!! I have dish network and it is set to 1080i, I do not see artifacts that people speak of. Granted depending on the material, there are some artifacts which happens like 5 percent of the time but for 95 percent it is clean and sharp.
post #5742 of 6195 Old 10-11-2011, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Dr. Torq again recommends....... MORE COWBELL!

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #5743 of 6195 Old 10-11-2011, 07:14 PM

Thanks Predator. I can live with them. I just wish they weren't there. I used to have a 32" Vizio before this one and it was perfect and it had no input lag whatsoever.

Gabe
post #5744 of 6195 Old 10-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere in this thread or another, did a search and didn't see it: anyone ever have either the backlighting or the ambient adjustment somehow seemingly interfere w/ the use of their IR remote in controlling another device?

Just hooked up my new Sony KDL-55EX500 and found that I could no longer use either my Harmony 880 or the original Dish DVR remote to control my 722k Dish reciever (located on a shelf above the TV), unless I put the remote right up w/in an inch of the IR sensor on the DVR. Puzzled, I tried several things (rebooting the receiver etc), until I put a blanket over most of the HD set screen, and voila, the remote controls both worked fine activating/controlling the DVR. I then went in and turned off backlighting and the ambient sensor functions and then my IR remote would successfully control the receiver from the couch.

Anyone else experience anything like this? Is there an ideal workaround--I know I need to properly set up my set, and those functions are likely to remain turned off anyway, but still. Very strange. Previously had a 55" Sony LCDRP set in the same placement (the one that had the optical block failure and thus this unit as replacement), never had this issue.

Champion of truth, beauty and misunderstood giant killer robots.
post #5745 of 6195 Old 10-11-2011, 08:53 PM

yes I selected 1080i and 1080p. I even checked that as soon as I started using the tv to be sure it was properly displaying 1080p and it ddi that whole "if you see this, your tv supports 1080p" message. I have all or most of those settings selected where it will usually use original resolution rather than upconverting. And especially to keep 480 working right. But maybe I should disable 720p totally where it will upconvert it to 1080i?

I noticed on a commercial earlier that this can defintiely have a great picture. Not so sure it's better than my other tv other than blacks, but it looked great.

One thing quite annoying is it takes 100 years for the tv to start up and when I change channels on directv it takes forever to switch channels also. It took about this long to switch channels on my old tv also. But on the lg and the sony hx820 it sped through channels faster. So something about getting the resolution correct between satallite and this model of tv takes it a while.
post #5746 of 6195 Old 10-11-2011, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
If you turn off native mode and uncheck all resolutions but 1080i and 1080p, channel changes will be much faster (not sony's fault). Also IMO the DirecTV box is a lot better at upconversion than the sony tv. The sony only scales, leaving jaggies where it line doubles and magnifies the mosquito noise, whereas DirecTV does some interpolation resulting in a more detailed looking image.
post #5747 of 6195 Old 10-11-2011, 10:56 PM

will it change aspect ratios also though?

Also to some extent it is the tv's fault. Like I said, it's faster with some tvs I tried. Something about the SOny makes it take longer. Maybe processing the upconversion takes longer or something.

ANyway thanks I'll try it and see how it goes.

The picture is growing on me and I do notice the better blacks thanmy old set. I still hope this won't be my final choice though for the simple fact that if I find soemthing I like better it means I'm getting 3D. I may not watch more than 2 3D movies in a year, but I just want more reason to NOT buy a new tv in the next few years. If I buy yet another non-3D set it just gives me an excuse to want a new tv again.

What I would be tempted to do is buy the 40 of this for a second tv and sell my v2500. But I'm in a one bedroom apartment so not much of anywhere to put two tvs to begin with unless I want one in my bedroom which has noise traveling crazily up and down.
post #5748 of 6195 Old 10-12-2011, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

will it change aspect ratios also though?

Better than native. I can set it to 1080i Pillar Box and forget it. All 1080 and 720 is 16x9 and all SD is 4x3, not stretched like it is in native mode. If you prefer stretched, you can do that too by not using pillar box.

Some tv's may be a little slower than others, but when you change resolution with every channel change, all will be somewhat slow.
post #5749 of 6195 Old 10-12-2011, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Midnight - Glad to see we're finally getting somewhere. Mdavej has some really helpful advice on how to get the best from Directv. The slowness whenever you change channels is attributable to Directv boxes and NOT the TV. That's the main reason I left Direct after several years and moved to ATT U-verse where the channel changing with their boxes is instantaneous.

Since I do not own your TV model, I'll let some of the many savvy members here take over on how to setup your TV. In fact, I have been using serialmike's settings on my 60EX700 for quite a long time!
post #5750 of 6195 Old 10-12-2011, 11:28 AM

Sony KDL 46ex500 HELP!!..[/b]I'm hoping someone here can help me out with this issue I'm having with this set. I just recieved this set (Sony KDL 46ex500) from a buddy of mine who had it for a few months but was stepping up to 3D so...gave this set to me. He's off traveling so don't want to bother him with this but... I have a very simple setup..cable box, and the TV. I hooked up the hdmi cable to the tv & the cable box and get a "no signal" on the screen. Long story short, I hit input and went to PS3 and it came on. Shut it off at night, turned it on in the morning and back to "no signal". Does anyone no what setting to have on this at so that it very simply turns on and off with out this issue? And if I do get it figured out, I like the "Vivid" setting but it's just a bit to much yet standard to me is a bit ehh.. Does anyone have a toned down calibration setting from vivid, just looking for the best picture for this set without gaming etc.... Thanks in advance
post #5751 of 6195 Old 10-12-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Input selection on the tv is not automatic coming from your cable box. So you have to press the input button every time you switch sources. To streamline this, hide any inputs you don't use. If you want to automate it, get a universal remote or an automatic HDMI switch. The RCA RCRP05B is your cheapest option at $15. Any harmony 6xx, 7xx series and up can do it as well, as can most any higher end universal like the Xsight Touch or URC R50. Avoid the harmony 200 and 300 as they can't do it. All relevant codes for the RCA are in an earlier post of mine in this thread, but you'll essentially want to write a macro (activity) for playing PS3 and another for watching cable that includes the appropriate input commands. A $20 automatic HDMI switch will also work without having to get a universal remote or write any macros.
post #5752 of 6195 Old 10-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveolddogs View Post

55EX500 drowning out or attenuating signal from remote?

I replaced my rear-projection Sony SXRD XBR1 with the 55EX500 last week. The new TV works well, but I have noticed a significant drop-off in the reliability of my remote control since the upgrade. I use a Harmony 880 remote and have television service through AT&T U-verse.

This remote previously operated the U-verse system without any issues and would work at pretty much any angle and even through a blanket. Now, about a quarter of the button presses are not registered, even when aiming the remote directly at the U-verse box from a short distance (8 feet).

I also use a home theater PC with an IR receiver, which has been similarly affected. The HTPC IR receiver has a red LED which lights up every time it detects a signal from a remote control. When the TV is off, this red LED will illuminate randomly every now and then as it detects stray EM signals in the air. When the TV is turned on, this red LED flickers on and off madly.

It's clear that the new Sony TV is somehow interfering with the remote signal. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this normal? I have not had time to test if this affects all remotes equally or if the the Harmony remote is somehow more susceptible to this.

Did you find anyone else that confirmed your issue--because I experienced the same thing (see post above)...and did you find a robust workaround/solution? Thx!

post #5753 of 6195 Old 10-12-2011, 02:28 PM

Mike: why did you shut off cinemotion? Any advantage? I believe sunsavil stated many posts ago that engaging motion flow and cinemotion will give you the full hd pixel pic.
post #5754 of 6195 Old 10-12-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanla View Post

Mike: why did you shut off cinemotion? Any advantage? I believe sunsavil stated many posts ago that engaging motion flow and cinemotion will give you the full hd pixel pic.

I don't think Cinemotion or Motion Flow has nothing to do with "Full Pixel". That is in Screen menu...

post #5755 of 6195 Old 10-12-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanewalker View Post

Did you find anyone else that confirmed your issue--because I experienced the same thing (see post above)...and did you find a robust workaround/solution? Thx!

I have the 55EX500 and use a Logitech Harmony 880 remote and have no problems with any functions. I do however find sometimes during an "all-on" macro for my Directv viewing that at very few times the "D" dvr will turn on slowly but that happens very rarely. And two times since almost two years the "D" box didn't come on and I had to press the help button which turned it on.

post #5756 of 6195 Old 10-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have the 55EX500 and use a Logitech Harmony 880 remote and have no problems with any functions. I do however find sometimes during an "all-on" macro for my Directv viewing that at very few times the "D" dvr will turn on slowly but that happens very rarely. And two times since almost two years the "D" box didn't come on and I had to press the help button which turned it on.

Do you have Backlighting up past 'min' and/or the Ambient Sensor on or off? Just curious if your settings prevent the issue. Also, might be something native to sensitivities of the particular IR pattern/freq of the Dish DVR controls and the features of the set mentioned (since you have DirecTV equip)?

post #5757 of 6195 Old 10-12-2011, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

It was posted twice this morning, here in AVS.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1366297
post #5758 of 6195 Old 10-12-2011, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I don't think Cinemotion or Motion Flow has nothing to do with "Full Pixel". That is in Screen menu...

however, with motionflow enabled you get about twice as many moving lines of resolution.
post #5759 of 6195 Old 10-12-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

however, with motionflow enabled you get about twice as many moving lines of resolution.

You hit the nail on the head! I am curious about cinemotion? Turning it off results in a plasma like image or auto 2? Auto 1 creates the Soap Opera look.
post #5760 of 6195 Old 10-12-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanla View Post

After suns explanations I went back and looked things over for a few days. Looking for the things he said they did and how they worked.

I prefer to set the bluray to 60 rather than 24 and my cable is of course 60 Actually because of how motion is presented. While 24 is the way film is in the theater I do not like sample andd hold effect or SOE effect. I just found everything to look better to me with it off. To me it justt looks the most "normalized" so to speak.

Its a preference thing. Nothing standardized about it. However you like is best.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia 60 Inch Lcd Hdtv Kdl 60ex500 , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 52v5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page