Forum Jump: 

post #5851 of 6195 Old 11-06-2011, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomess023 View Post

those setting look really great actually I'm thinking about just using them for my single players and using game mode for cod and battlefield and gears. anyways Elux you mentioned you use the in game brightness settings? does that mean you just adjust brightness using in game sliders? just curious

When I used serialmike's settings in the past I would have to shoot the brightness near the top. But with the settings that I just posted that is no longer necessary, the default position is fine, which to me signifies a good calibration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 6195 Old 11-06-2011, 01:14 PM

Liked: 15
Anyone playin uncharted 3 do u guys set to 1080 or 720 it seem to be a little blurry on 1080p
post #5853 of 6195 Old 11-06-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Just thought y'all would like to know....... I just finished thumbing through the December edition of Consumer Reports. In that edition was a short section on the best LCD and Plasma TVs. The EX500 was ranked as superior (excellent) on both standard and hi-def picture quality. But we already knew that, RIGHT?!!!

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #5854 of 6195 Old 11-06-2011, 05:43 PM

anyone notice that cut scenes look weird on the 360 when forced to 1080p. apparently its because cut scenes dont get upscale right, it look really blurry. I have noticed that cut scenes on my 260 always look bad but on my ps3 looks great because its set to 720p. Anyways just wondering if that and up scaling issue?
post #5855 of 6195 Old 11-07-2011, 04:59 AM

The native resolution for Xbox 360 games is 720p.
post #5856 of 6195 Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Looks like I'll be joining the EX500 owners group soon. Like some others here, I will be getting one as a replacement for my failing SXRD through the exchange program. Not free, but certainly less than a full cost replacement. I look forward to trying out some of the settings that have been posted here.

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
post #5857 of 6195 Old 11-11-2011, 02:21 PM

So I just got my replacement 55EX500 delivered today. Picture quality looks great do far. But I'm having a problem. I apologize if this has been covered. My picture shakes every few seconds. Like it bounces up and down for a second. The resumes. I'm hoping I don't have a lemon already.

Thanks!
post #5858 of 6195 Old 11-11-2011, 02:57 PM

Ok. Just connect my PS3 and no jitters. So it has to do with the cable box. To be continued.
post #5859 of 6195 Old 11-12-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilRoman View Post

Ok. Just connect my PS3 and no jitters. So it has to do with the cable box. To be continued.

I've experienced the same "picture jitters" with my 55EX501 and it turned out to be the cable box. TWC recycles their cable boxes time and time again, so I've had to test and return quite a few over the years. Make sure your HDMI cable is making a good solid connection in the back of your cable box, if this doesn't solve the problem, then I'd return the cable box.
post #5860 of 6195 Old 11-12-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post

Looks like I'll be joining the EX500 owners group soon. Like some others here, I will be getting one as a replacement for my failing SXRD through the exchange program. Not free, but certainly less than a full cost replacement. I look forward to trying out some of the settings that have been posted here.

Hello,
I really think that you are going to be pleasantly surprised at just how good this TV can look. It takes a little trial and error in terms of Calibration, but this TV completely changed my preconceived notions about LCD's.

Bizarrely, I actually received a free KDL-55EX500 approximately one month after having the Optical Block replaced on my KDS-55A3000 (2nd OB Failure in 10 Months) After the OB failed the 2nd time in December of last year, I pleaded with Sony to just Exchange the TV as opposed to having another OB Replacement. After about 20 Calls to Sony, I got nowhere and the OB was replaced 12-30-2010.

In February of this year, I Emailed Sony Listens outlining my experience with my A3000, provided Serial Numbers of well over $10,000 of Sony Equipment I owned and the fact that I will never purchase another Sony Product again. Amazingly, I got an Email within 3 days offering me a free KDL-55EX500. I still cannot believe one Email trumped untold hours of talking to Sony.

Now I have my A3000 with both a new OB and Lamp sitting in my Guest Bedroom with maybe 100 hours at most since the Exchange. What was so strange with my Optical Block problems was that both times it was an approximately 1 inch Green Line that went from the top to the bottom of the Screen. Never was it a Green Blob.

What happened with the SXRD's really was a pity as the PQ was fantastic.
With the A3000, Color Decoding was textbook out of the box when Warm 2 was engaged. I also managed to get 2 free XL-5200 Lamp/Ballast's from Sony and 1 Philips Lamp/Ballast and an additional Lamp from Best Buy through my Extended Warranty so I have enough Replacement Lamps to last probably a decade using it 24/7. Sadly, I would imagine the OB would go bad far before that.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #5861 of 6195 Old 11-12-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
I really think that you are going to be pleasantly surprised at just how good this TV can look. It takes a little trial and error in terms of Calibration, but this TV completely changed my preconceived notions about LCD's.

Bizarrely, I actually received a free KDL-55EX500 approximately one month after having the Optical Block replaced on my KDS-55A3000 (2nd OB Failure in 10 Months) After the OB failed the 2nd time in December of last year, I pleaded with Sony to just Exchange the TV as opposed to having another OB Replacement. After about 20 Calls to Sony, I got nowhere and the OB was replaced 12-30-2010.

In February of this year, I Emailed Sony Listens outlining my experience with my A3000, provided Serial Numbers of well over $10,000 of Sony Equipment I owned and the fact that I will never purchase another Sony Product again. Amazingly, I got an Email within 3 days offering me a free KDL-55EX500. I still cannot believe one Email trumped untold hours of talking to Sony.

Now I have my A3000 with both a new OB and Lamp sitting in my Guest Bedroom with maybe 100 hours at most since the Exchange. What was so strange with my Optical Block problems was that both times it was an approximately 1 inch Green Line that went from the top to the bottom of the Screen. Never was it a Green Blob.

What happened with the SXRD's really was a pity as the PQ was fantastic.
With the A3000, Color Decoding was textbook out of the box when Warm 2 was engaged. I also managed to get 2 free XL-5200 Lamp/Ballast's from Sony and 1 Philips Lamp/Ballast and an additional Lamp from Best Buy through my Extended Warranty so I have enough Replacement Lamps to last probably a decade using it 24/7. Sadly, I would imagine the OB would go bad far before that.
Cheers,
AD

Audiodork -

I am in the same situation. Had 60A2000 that had bad OB recently. Got offer from Sony Listens and opted for the 55EX500. I am just curious what you think of the 500's PQ compared to the A3000? I loved my old set, had great picture. From what I have seen of the EX500s in best buy and the like they don't seem to have as good of picture quality, but I am hoping its just a matter of getting it home and properly calibrated. Thanks!
post #5862 of 6195 Old 11-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
serialmike: there seems to be some different processing in game: standard vs game: original. Do you know what the diferences are?
post #5863 of 6195 Old 11-16-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl@cker View Post

serialmike: there seems to be some different processing in game: standard vs game: original. Do you know what the diferences are?

cant say I noticed that. I had not compared them really though. what are you seeing different?
post #5864 of 6195 Old 11-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Argh, the waiting is killing me! I want my 55EX500! I made a replacement deal with Sony a week ago Monday; Didn't get the serial sticker mailed until Wednesday; Because of Veterans Day, they didn't get the serial number sticker until Monday of this week. I'm still waiting for shipping confirmation. Supposed to be coming out of Illinois (probably Chicago area).

Of course, I am TV'less right now (well, at least in my main room). I jumped the gun and listed my SXRD on craigslist last Friday. To my surprise, I had a buyer within the first day. They came and bought it Sunday for my full asking price. It was enough to cover the full cost of the new replacement from Sony. It would be nice to have it by this weekend, but I highly doubt it will happen. I think I'll be lucky to get it before Thanksgiving.

post #5865 of 6195 Old 11-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

The KDF46E2000 is getting booted downstairs. I can't remember when I bought it-- 5 years ago? When I bought it, I made the decision to purchase a bridge technology. It served well. I got past the silk screen effect and enjoyed the picture, knowing it was not the best at the time.

We are moving it to our basement where our teenage boys can watch TV and play video games.

I'm in the market for a new TV -- definitely not plasma. At first I was looking at low end LED's, but they seem to have too many problems. It seems that to get even something that will be satisfactory, I have to buy a 3D TV and I have no interest in that. I was taking a serious look at the D7000 and the various Sony products (HX729, etc).

After reading more and more reviews, I decided that this is silly. I could get a PQ that is just as good (if not better) for much less money by going with the tried and true CCFL technology. I knew I did not want a Sammy because some of their processing modes cannot be turned off. Then I came across this model and I am thinking that this is the one. I plan to see it BB this weekend, but given the limitations of viewing any panel in a showroom, I was hoping that one of you could offer your comments on its black levels and shadow detail for cable HD, DVD's and BD's.

I look forward to your responses. Thanks.
post #5866 of 6195 Old 11-17-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh400 View Post

The KDF46E2000 is getting booted downstairs. I can't remember when I bought it-- 5 years ago? When I bought it, I made the decision to purchase a bridge technology. It served well. I got past the silk screen effect and enjoyed the picture, knowing it was not the best at the time.

We are moving it to our basement where our teenage boys can watch TV and play video games.

I'm in the market for a new TV -- definitely not plasma. At first I was looking at low end LED's, but they seem to have too many problems. It seems that to get even something that will be satisfactory, I have to buy a 3D TV and I have no interest in that. I was taking a serious look at the D7000 and the various Sony products (HX729, etc).

After reading more and more reviews, I decided that this is silly. I could get a PQ that is just as good (if not better) for much less money by going with the tried and true CCFL technology. I knew I did not want a Sammy because some of their processing modes cannot be turned off. Then I came across this model and I am thinking that this is the one. I plan to see it BB this weekend, but given the limitations of viewing any panel in a showroom, I was hoping that one of you could offer your comments on its black levels and shadow detail for cable HD, DVD's and BD's.

I look forward to your responses. Thanks.

Black levels, shadow detail and overall picture quality of this TV are very good. Not very many unhappy owners here.
post #5867 of 6195 Old 11-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Waldorf.

All -- any suggestions on calibration hardware and/or software?
post #5868 of 6195 Old 11-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Waldorf.

All -- any suggestions on calibration hardware and/or software?

Unless you are super picky, I'd just take one of the calibrations posted in this thread and give it a try. If you get the 60", use SerialMike's, if you get the 55", use Cburb's. Not sure about the smaller models.

Note: I recommend the different user settings because the 60" has a different panel from the smaller sizes.

post #5869 of 6195 Old 11-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks. I will start with Cburb's and take it from there.
post #5870 of 6195 Old 11-18-2011, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks. I will start with Cburb's and take it from there.

You might also download/burn a copy of the AVS 709 HD disc. See the subforum on Calibration for the thread and DL locations.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

It has some very useful calibration screens and it is always nice to verify the settings. Especially since your room lighting may affect the black level and back lighting settings.

post #5871 of 6195 Old 11-18-2011, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks billbillw. I still have my old getgray disc as well.
post #5872 of 6195 Old 11-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

BTW, my TV is getting delivered later today, YEAH! DBSchenker is very fast. 2 days from Chicago to ATL and out for delivery. Got the call this morning to set up a time.

post #5873 of 6195 Old 11-18-2011, 11:01 AM

billbillw - how long did it take for Sony to ship the TV after they confirmed recipt of the serial number sticker? They got my information on Wens, but still have not shipped it.
post #5874 of 6195 Old 11-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean12 View Post

billbillw - how long did it take for Sony to ship the TV after they confirmed recipt of the serial number sticker? They got my information on Wens, but still have not shipped it.

They received my sticker in Monday's mail, they shipped it out on Wednesday. Chances are, they already shipped yours. I didn't get an e-mail to tell me it had shipped. I checked my credit card and saw the charge on Thurs so I sent a PM to one of the Facebook 'listeners' asking about shipping status. 10 minutes later, they replied back with my shipping info.

BTW, my TV arrived safely. Been watching it all afternoon (after some slight mods to my entertainment shelf unit). Cburb's settings look great. I can't believe how much the improvement is over my SXRD! No regrets.

post #5875 of 6195 Old 11-20-2011, 04:03 AM

Is there a definitive settings for the 40 inch version curbs is okay and most of serial miles version is pretty good too but is there one setting that most people with 40 inch use especially for watching tv
post #5876 of 6195 Old 11-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post

From that reply, I'm still not sure that you understand.

This is as simple as I can explain the difference between screen area and image size.

Image size is comparable to the height and width of the screen and calculates to a 5.88% difference for a 52" vs. 55" 16:9 screen (for the height).
If the 52" display showed a circle measuring exactly 10 inches in height, on the 55" the circle would measure 10.588", or 5.88% larger.

Screen area is the area of the screen in square inches and will be a higher percentage than image size because the measurements are squared.

I know this is an old post, but I'm just reading this now. Image size is also a measurement of area. Serialmike is correct.
post #5877 of 6195 Old 11-22-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Is there a definitive settings for the 40 inch version curbs is okay and most of serial miles version is pretty good too but is there one setting that most people with 40 inch use especially for watching tv

I've been using Vanla's settings with pretty good success. There's moments when I watch it and say "I can't imagine the picture being any better."
post #5878 of 6195 Old 11-22-2011, 06:38 PM

Which ones are vanlas again? I've tried the one where he had the backlight around 5 or 4 didn't like it but I don't know if he has other settings
post #5879 of 6195 Old 11-23-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:

Which ones are vanlas again? I've tried the one where he had the backlight around 5 or 4 didn't like it but I don't know if he has other settings

The only changes I made is to decrease the backlight to 2 as I saw cases of blacks being crushed.

I also decreased the brightness to 47 to 50 but it is your choice. The WB and gamma is spot on based on my charts hence no reason to tinker with them.
post #5880 of 6195 Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 AM

Finally got my hands on a X-Rite DTP94 meter. Thanks to the excellent information on AVS Forum, I calibrated my 55EX500 with HCFR and AVS HD 709 test patterns, using my HTPC as my source. User settings ended up as follows:

Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: Min
Picture: Max
Brightness: 50 (would be 52 had I not adjusted black level at the source instead)
Color: 48
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 2
Sharpness: Min
R-Gain: -7
G-Gain: 0
B-Gain: -3
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: +2

Everything else is set to Off.

I settled on a peak white level of 31.1 ftL. The resultant average gamma is 2.20, and contrast is 2132:1.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia 60 Inch Lcd Hdtv Kdl 60ex500 , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 52v5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page