Official KDL..EX500/501 Thread - Page 200 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5971 of 6195 Old 12-26-2011, 01:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks so much! I must of changed that setting when I bought my TV and forgot about it. It works and I can select that input. I appreciate the help greatly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5972 of 6195 Old 12-26-2011, 01:50 PM

Question about white balance/color tuning:

I own a KDL-46EX501 and have been experimenting with the color and white balance settings specified in the Google Doc.

What I've found is that nearly every spec that uses Warm 1 or Warm 2 has an overwhelming level of Red that is apparent in any white or gray dominant scenes. My goal is to tune for the most neutral white balance that will get me as close to true white as possible, without leaning towards any color spectrum. So far, I've found that the following settings have worked best for me:

Pic Mode - Custom
Scene - General
Color- 50
Hue- 0
Color Temp- Neutral
Sharpness- 3
MotionFlow- Standard
Ambient Sensor- Off

Advanced Settings
Adv Contrast Enhancer-off
Black Corrector- off
Gamma- 0
Clear White- Off
Live Color- Off

White Balance-
RGain 0
GGain 0
BGain 0
RBias 0
GBias 0
BBias -1

Keep in mind that this is simply me eyeballing the white balance against a purely white image. What I would like to know is, why are people tuning under Warm 1 or 2 if the colors lean towards Red so much? I've tried tuning the white balance under Warm 1 to compensate for the excessive Reds to no avail. I'm most likely missing some bit of information, but what is the point of tuning under anything other than neutral? Is there some dramatic color temp that people are attempting to tune against? I've been considering purchasing the Spears & Munsil bluray to tune my display using their blue filter glasses, but I'm curious if people have had good results using this method with these LCD's.

Any insight is appreciated, thanks!
post #5973 of 6195 Old 12-26-2011, 05:10 PM

Hello everyone,

I just purchased the KDL40EX500 and tried the settings quoted below. However, I still get a very noticeable red tinge, especially when pure whites are light red/orange. This only went away when I set color temp to neutral or cool. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanla View Post

Augumental, I would highly suggest you use my settings for the 40 as your size and my size are the same. Mike' overall settings are different compared to mine, for example his picture and brightness are low and set a hue to balance the secondary colors. For the 40 none of this is needed as the wb will fix the slight red tinge issue.

Here are my settings:
Calibrated 40ex500 with Konica-Minolta CS-200.
Scene: Custom
Backlight: min to 3
Picture: 90
Brightness:54
Color: 45 to 48 (anything above will create unatural flesh tones)
Warm 2
Sharpness:min
Hue: 0
NR: 0ff
MNR: 0ff
Motion Flow: Standard/High
Cine Motion: Auto 2

Advanced Settings:
ACE: Off
BC: Off
Gamma: -1
CW: Off
LC: Off

WB:
RG: -20
GG: -4
BG:0
RB:-3
GB:0
BB:-3

post #5974 of 6195 Old 12-26-2011, 10:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 417
+1

While I greatly appreciate all the work of the calibrators in this thread, none of the posted settings are at all watchable to me. All are far too red. They may match some standard, but they certainly aren't natural by any means. My settings are almost exactly the same as JP06 and look much closer to real life than any other posted settings.

Another thing that has puzzled me is why all these setting start way too red with Warm 1 or 2, then back way off on red in the white balance to compensate. Why not start neutral and just warm it up with a little red in the white balance?
post #5975 of 6195 Old 12-27-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

+1

While I greatly appreciate all the work of the calibrators in this thread, none of the posted settings are at all watchable to me. All are far too red. They may match some standard, but they certainly aren't natural by any means. My settings are almost exactly the same as JP06 and look much closer to real life than any other posted settings.

Another thing that has puzzled me is why all these setting start way too red with Warm 1 or 2, then back way off on red in the white balance to compensate. Why not start neutral and just warm it up with a little red in the white balance?

What settings are you running? Did you tune the white balance using a calibration disk and blue filter glasses?
post #5976 of 6195 Old 12-27-2011, 01:14 PM

Edit: nvm
post #5977 of 6195 Old 12-27-2011, 11:13 PM

I think I have had enough with This Sony TV, I am not bad mouthing This TV which I do really enjoy but here is why,, 2007 I purchase the 52xbr4, the screen was plagued with clouding, had purchased the extended warranty, and was given this 60inch set in July 2010. 2 days after receiving this new tv, large amount of clouding was visible.then This TV set would no longer turn on, that was fixed, then about 3 months later I start getting parts of the screen showing blocks of green pixelization, tech tried changing a ribbon, but that did not work, so I waited 3 Weeks for a panel replacement, I freaked out after the tech left there was so much flashlighting and clouding, it is the worst panel I have ever seen. This evening I am watching NBC on OTA antenna @1080i, I Changed the Channel to CBS, the TV froze with no pic, I could not turn off the TV using the remote nor the panel buttons, i could not change channels, it lasted about 33-47 seconds,,, then the TV shuts off and turns on again, a self reboot, and This happened 3 times tonight, and then I wanted to smack This TV, I don't know what happened when it froze but now my video quality looks degraded, I tried my Blu-Ray, satellite, and different inputs something went wrong internally and this is it for me with Sony, I have not been lucky, I wish i was, butI will be excercising the extended warranty I bought again for this tv. From reading the sharp forums I think will be going for the 70 inch 732 model. This was my experience and a thank you to serial mike I have been using his settings. Since day one. i am feed up, I just want a functional TV. I'm going for the 70 incher and the way I feel now I don't give a hoot what the wife is going to say, that's it ,wish me luck. Thanks.
the way I see it I might as well go bigger,,, cause I ain't going home (just an expression) besides I got room, but 80inch would be over kill
post #5978 of 6195 Old 12-28-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracktight View Post

I think I have had enough with This Sony TV, I am not bad mouthing This TV which I do really enjoy but here is why,, 2007 I purchase the 52xbr4, the screen was plagued with clouding, had purchased the extended warranty, and was given this 60inch set in July 2010. 2 days after receiving this new tv, large amount of clouding was visible.then This TV set would no longer turn on, that was fixed, then about 3 months later I start getting parts of the screen showing blocks of green pixelization, tech tried changing a ribbon, but that did not work, so I waited 3 Weeks for a panel replacement, I freaked out after the tech left there was so much flashlighting and clouding, it is the worst panel I have ever seen. This evening I am watching NBC on OTA antenna @1080i, I Changed the Channel to CBS, the TV froze with no pic, I could not turn off the TV using the remote nor the panel buttons, i could not change channels, it lasted about 33-47 seconds,,, then the TV shuts off and turns on again, a self reboot, and This happened 3 times tonight, and then I wanted to smack This TV, I don't know what happened when it froze but now my video quality looks degraded, I tried my Blu-Ray, satellite, and different inputs something went wrong internally and this is it for me with Sony, I have not been lucky, I wish i was, butI will be excercising the extended warranty I bought again for this tv. From reading the sharp forums I think will be going for the 70 inch 732 model. This was my experience and a thank you to serial mike I have been using his settings. Since day one. i am feed up, I just want a functional TV. I'm going for the 70 incher and the way I feel now I don't give a hoot what the wife is going to say, that's it ,wish me luck. Thanks.
the way I see it I might as well go bigger,,, cause I ain't going home (just an expression) besides I got room, but 80inch would be over kill

Yeah, those TVs are nice........ nice and big. But beware, they seem to have their own set of symptomatic problems related to that huge screen. I've read many reviews where the persons complained about all 4 corners being somewhat dead on brighter scenes and verified this when we looked at the one on display at our local Costco. Also, black levels are said to be just so-so IIRC. Do your homework.

PS; sorry to hear about your "lemon".

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #5979 of 6195 Old 12-28-2011, 02:46 PM

yeah upon more reading, i am leaning more towards the sharp 70 inch 632
post #5980 of 6195 Old 12-29-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elux View Post

Picture Mode- Custom
Backlight-Min
Picture-95
Brightness- 52
Color- 50
Hue- R1
Color Temp- Neutral
Sharpness- 1
Noise Reduction- Off
MPG Noise Red- Off
MotionFlow- Standard
Cinemotion- Off
Ambient Sensor- Off

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector- off
Gamma- 0
Clear White- Off
Live Color- Off

White Balance-
RGain -4
GGain -3
BGain -26
RBias 0
GBias 1
BBias 2

Picture size-Full Pixel
Power Save-Off

Credit: serialmike

Standard

Are these settings good for the 40" as well? I have a 360. If not, i'll just go with Vanla's recommend settings in the spreadsheet. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I just realized you do have a 40" Elux, so I'll give your settings a shot.
post #5981 of 6195 Old 12-30-2011, 06:04 AM

I've been offered a 55ex500 as a free replacement for my 46xbr4 experiencing the lcd tab bond problem. Not that I think this is unfair but the TVs are from different model lines. This thread speaks volumes about those satisfied with the ex500 but do I have an argument for something from the NX or HX line. Sony's replacement policy that I've found in other threads in the forum varies widely,
from price, screen size to model line is inconsistent. Should I "settle" for the offer, wait for their inventory to change or take a 55NX720 for $1320+tax?
Any thoughts or help with negotiating? Email to sonylistens directed me right to the customer service telephone representative. My dealings so far have left me very unhappy.
post #5982 of 6195 Old 12-30-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilRoman View Post

Ugh seems like I can't get a break. First the optical block issue. I received my 55EX500 and everything was going well until the other day I noticed this

On the right hand part of the screen is now an off colored band. On a pure white screen it is light blue. Any ideas? It does it on cable/game/and Blue Ray. So it's the TV.

It's been awhile, I might as well give an update. So I called Sony and explained to them the situation. So since they determined that having someone come out and fix it wasn't cost effective they are sending me another set to swap out. I should get it Wed.

On another note, I noticed something weird the other day, maybe someone can explain. I was watching the HD Paladium channel (concerts/music and stuff) and on Full Pixel I noticed a white line at the edge of the picture, but when I put it back to standard it was gone. It's almost like in Full Pixel that the picture is not covering the full screen. Anyway to fix that?

Thanks!

G.
post #5983 of 6195 Old 12-30-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
^^^^^^^
in full pixel mode many channels have lines or noise usually on top of screen and mostly on sd channels

i notice the line on right with palladium hd and it is annoying

nothing wrong with your set on this regard
post #5984 of 6195 Old 12-30-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

^^^^^^^
in full pixel mode many channels have lines or noise usually on top of screen and mostly on sd channels

Thanks DM. I guess there is no cure to it either. Shame.
post #5985 of 6195 Old 12-30-2011, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP06 View Post

What settings are you running? Did you tune the white balance using a calibration disk and blue filter glasses?

Sorry, didn't do any cal at all. Just started with the calibrated settings of others and tweaked it until it looked good to me. After doing that, my settings ended up nearly identical to yours.
post #5986 of 6195 Old 01-04-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilRoman View Post

Thanks DM. I guess there is no cure to it either. Shame.

Its due to input signal from the bbroadcaster. Thats why TV's are set for broadcast tv to have about a 3 percent overscan to make sure you dont see the edges. I prefer to have no scaling and Ive done it so long I dont notice it anymore.

In order to stop this you need to set image to normal or overscan or whatever its called. Bluray dvd games all that is fine 1:1 pixel mapping.
post #5987 of 6195 Old 01-04-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP06 View Post

Question about white balance/color tuning:

I own a KDL-46EX501 and have been experimenting with the color and white balance settings specified in the Google Doc.

What I've found is that nearly every spec that uses Warm 1 or Warm 2 has an overwhelming level of Red that is apparent in any white or gray dominant scenes. My goal is to tune for the most neutral white balance that will get me as close to true white as possible, without leaning towards any color spectrum. So far, I've found that the following settings have worked best for me:

Pic Mode - Custom
Scene - General
Color- 50
Hue- 0
Color Temp- Neutral
Sharpness- 3
MotionFlow- Standard
Ambient Sensor- Off

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector- off
Gamma- 0
Clear White- Off
Live Color- Off

White Balance-
RGain 0
GGain 0
BGain 0
RBias 0
GBias 0
BBias -1

Keep in mind that this is simply me eyeballing the white balance against a purely white image. What I would like to know is, why are people tuning under Warm 1 or 2 if the colors lean towards Red so much? I've tried tuning the white balance under Warm 1 to compensate for the excessive Reds to no avail. I'm most likely missing some bit of information, but what is the point of tuning under anything other than neutral? Is there some dramatic color temp that people are attempting to tune against? I've been considering purchasing the Spears & Munsil bluray to tune my display using their blue filter glasses, but I'm curious if people have had good results using this method with these LCD's.

Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

I used the S&P disk to calibrate (at first) and then I used the calibration videos posted elsewhere in AVS. I have most recently used the Spyder 3 Elite Colorimeter with the Datacolor (TV) software. I'd like to get proficient with the HCFR software. After all that being said, I was of the same opinion as you as far as whites looking too red. That was initially. Fact is though, it's a standard. After tweaking my set (for enough time as I'd care to), Warm 2 is the best starting point to get as close to standard as possible. Why is this important? Others will and have put it much better than I'm about too, but it all boils down to accurate color display. You are robbing yourself of accurate color if you change what "white" is on your display. Film post production and game development (for the most part) in the U.S. are all based on 6500k. It's different in other areas of the world (I live in Japan and it's in the 9000k here) so it's best to match your set to the media you use. It also makes a difference as to what your settings (are on your bluray, console, whatever device you are using. All that matters. If you want your set to look "good" to your unaided eye, don't even bother getting calibration disks for hardware. I have noticed a marked difference in blurays I watch or games I play. Colors definitely "pop" out. This will be the TV I use for the next few years until a 55" OLED starts calling my name. I plan to check the panel's accuracy every now and then as hours of use start adding up. After a year and a half though, I'm still enthralled with this humble model.
post #5988 of 6195 Old 01-06-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

^^^^^^^

Funny I get the line on the left on Palladium. It is very annoying. On my local ABC channel in the bottom right hand corner theres always a little line right in the corner too when the screen goes black between commercials that you can see.
post #5989 of 6195 Old 01-06-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post

Funny I get the line on the left on Palladium. It is very annoying. On my local ABC channel in the bottom right hand corner theres always a little line right in the corner too when the screen goes black between commercials that you can see.

duh, I meant "left" but typed "right"
it is most definitely on the left
post #5990 of 6195 Old 01-07-2012, 02:40 PM

I have a new 46EX500 and like to know how to check firmware level
to see if I need an update.
post #5991 of 6195 Old 01-08-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrogalla View Post

I have a new 46EX500 and like to know how to check firmware level
to see if I need an update.

Settings - Setup - Product Support - Contact Sony - Software Version

ATM, the latest is 1.514.
post #5992 of 6195 Old 01-08-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Settings - Setup - Product Support - Contact Sony - Software Version

ATM, the latest is 1.514.

I know this but isn't there a way to see whats in my TV now without contacting Sony. I have a Sony 52w4100 and it has a setting to check.
post #5993 of 6195 Old 01-08-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You don't have to contact sony, that's just where it is in the menus. Press Menu then pick the options I posted and you'll see it on your screen.
post #5994 of 6195 Old 01-08-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:

You don't have to contact sony, that's just where it is in the menus. Press Menu then pick the options I posted and you'll see it on your screen.

Thasnks Dave. I went that route and missed it but I will try again tomorrow.
post #5995 of 6195 Old 01-09-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:

Works.
Thanks
post #5996 of 6195 Old 01-09-2012, 08:50 PM

Whats going on guys I've been doing a lot of reading these past few days and I think the 46EX500 is the winner. From what I understand this TV has gotten a lot of praise but I have one concern. I believe its good for gaming as I will be playing a lot of COD on it so how does it compare to various tv's when it comes to gaming??
post #5997 of 6195 Old 01-09-2012, 10:14 PM

I was offered a 46 inch ex500 or 46 inch ex521 as a replacement for my A2000 that developed the green blob issue. The ex500 is CCFL and the ex521 is edge-lit LED. The main question I have is on the backlighting technology between the two. Is the picture quality better on the CCFL or has edge-lit technology closed the gap? I also read that the LED tv will last longer. The Internet features do not matter to me because I have those features through my bluray player. Any help in this decision is greatly appreaciated.
post #5998 of 6195 Old 01-10-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

LED is thinner, uses less power and lasts longer than CCFL. However both will likely outlast the rest of the TV. Edge-lit LED can exhibit more flashlighting than CCFL. Otherwise PQ is about the same. Personally, I would take the cheaper option since the PQ is about the same and I wouldn't be paying for internet feature I'd never use. As you can see, most in this thread (including me) are very happy with their EX500s. You'll have to check out the other threads to see what people think of their EX521s.
post #5999 of 6195 Old 01-11-2012, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supraman x View Post

Whats going on guys I've been doing a lot of reading these past few days and I think the 46EX500 is the winner. From what I understand this TV has gotten a lot of praise but I have one concern. I believe its good for gaming as I will be playing a lot of COD on it so how does it compare to various tv's when it comes to gaming??

I use the 55EX501 (same as EX500, but from Costco) for gaming. I used an HDMI output from my iMac to check the delay in 'Game' mode and I got 30ms delay. Without game mode, it's 100ms, which is really almost unplayable.

I think 30ms is the high end of being noticeable, and is probably average for LCDs. Any more than that and you can 'see' the lag. I'm not a professional gamer, or a superhuman like most gamers on the Internet (), but I can't tell. In fact, sometimes I'll forget to take it off of 'Cinema' mode and I'll play several matches before I'll notice, and it's usually because I'll get a game with a high ping, and check my TV settings.

I've owned many Sony TV's, LCD projectors, and I've setup many TV's for family friends over the years, and I have to say, the EX501 I have is the best I've had. I have ZERO complaints with this TV. No banding, color blotches, flashlighting, and all the usual quirks with the advent of digital TVs.

I love it, and it is probably the cheapest TV I've ever had...over 50".

Aaron
post #6000 of 6195 Old 01-11-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Does anyone know if, using a Harmony One remote, there's a way to program a command to quickly switch the audio from the TV speakers to the receiver? When I connect my computer, I'd rather connect directly to the TV than to the receiver.

Thanks very much.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia 60 Inch Lcd Hdtv Kdl 60ex500 , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 52v5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page