Official KDL..EX500/501 Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 6195 Old 04-06-2010, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Costco 55" #501. Just got it last Thursday and while having a good picture, I wasn't blown away until I knocked off that ambiant light sensor. Now's that's a picture . These are initial photos before I did any adjustments.
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 6195 Old 04-06-2010, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmileage View Post

I have the Costco 55" #501. Just got it last Thursday and while having a good picture, I wasn't blown away until I knocked off that ambiant light sensor. Now's that's a picture . These are initial photos before I did any adjustments.

Yeah, I have not been impressed with the ambient light sensor. There's a sweet spot where the picture looks good on this TV... the sensor trying to dynamically adjust stuff just messes up any adjustments I make. I'd rather have a good picture all the time and use the backlight and brightness to compensate for light conditions myself.

I also was not at all happy with the Advanced Contrast Enhancer... that thing seemed to do random things similar to the ambient light sensor. About the only processing I use is a bit of sharpness and Cinemotion. Pretty much everything else is turned off.

The TV does have a really good base black level. It's shadow detail and viewing angle are typical for an LCD... no comparison to a plasma... but the brightness and contrast ratio of this set are unmatched by any plasma I've seen.

It seems life is full of little trade-offs.
post #633 of 6195 Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

Interesting. What I'm wondering now is if this is a new panel or it's last year's s-pva panels that were used on the W,Z, and XBR. Still it's an improvement from my V series panel last year.

It would be nice if it were a new panel structure, some improvement on s-pva, as it gets really black and the two UK reviews have said this is the deepest blacks they've seen from a Sony ccfl. I'd have to agree, just wish I knew if Sony improved their panels every year.

They might not have this year since they've gone for cost effectiveness.

Part of the better perceived black level is the darker panel lens used.

When you power off the Sony models with the darker lens, the screen is really black compared to other brands that look dark gray when powered off.
post #634 of 6195 Old 04-06-2010, 11:21 AM

I played wii on this last night - I don't have too many games but I noticed lag on some things.

-- karaoke revoulution - this is unplayable unless you like to sing into the mic and then hear yourself through the speakers a split second later. I tried calibrating a bunch of times, both on the positive and negative and nothing would fix it.

-- guitar hero 5 - I thought after karaoke revolution this wouldn't work, but after calibrating just once the guitar synced fine. However, the vocals don't sync just like in karaoke revolution. (don't have a drum set).

-- wii sports, the disc that comes with wii - seemed fine to me.

-- wii sports resort - this seems fine to me. maybe a split second wouldn't make a different on this

-- wii fit - most games were fine, however, very noticable lag on the kung fu where you have to time your moves exactly. So there must be lag, just notice it more on certain games.

-- Just Dance is fine since exact timing isn't a huge issue.

-- Also tried a non-Wii karaoke system (on-key karaoke) that hooks up with composite - and while it had a slight lag it was still usable - and not as bad as the karaoke revolution lag.

I had it on game scene - and I tried some others, but nothing changed the lag. Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong though, as I'm new to HDTVs and these issues.
post #635 of 6195 Old 04-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Without going through 635 posts on this thread, I am wondering if anybody has performed ANY kind of calibration with this tv, and if so, what the settings ended up being? AVIA, Spears & Munsil, ISF, etc? I realize any calibration is specific to that particular viewing environment, but it's a great starting point to then start tweaking.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #636 of 6195 Old 04-06-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post

Part of the better perceived black level is the darker panel lens used.

When you power off the Sony models with the darker lens, the screen is really black compared to other brands that look dark gray when powered off.

Right, I understand what you mean, but the actual screen gets blacker than a V5100 in a dark room with no light. I think this is because the V wasn't using an S-PVA panel and now it is. Need to do some more digging here.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #637 of 6195 Old 04-06-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post

Without going through 635 posts on this thread, I am wondering if anybody has performed ANY kind of calibration with this tv, and if so, what the settings ended up being? AVIA, Spears & Munsil, ISF, etc? I realize any calibration is specific to that particular viewing environment, but it's a great starting point to then start tweaking.

See my previous post here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post18417729
post #638 of 6195 Old 04-06-2010, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

Right, I understand what you mean, but the actual screen gets blacker than a V5100 in a dark room with no light. I think this is because the V wasn't using an S-PVA panel and now it is. Need to do some more digging here.

Very good news to me as looks like im gonna pull the trigger on the 55ex500 in the next few months. I have the V and like it alot. I got it because the only sets with darker black lever were the led local dim xbr8 and samsung. If this is definatly darker I will be impressed.

Im just waiting to see a 55le5500 from lg. If that doesnt wow me more than the 55ex500 is the way i go.
post #639 of 6195 Old 04-06-2010, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

Very good news to me as looks like im gonna pull the trigger on the 55ex500 in the next few months. I have the V and like it alot. I got it because the only sets with darker black lever were the led local dim xbr8 and samsung. If this is definatly darker I will be impressed.

Im just waiting to see a 55le5500 from lg. If that doesnt wow me more than the 55ex500 is the way i go.

Did you give up on getting the 60 inch set?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #640 of 6195 Old 04-06-2010, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

I think the thing to know is that the 55" is using a different panel than the 40". They're both probably S-LCD panels, it seems like all the manufacturers are going with the rectangle looking sort of pixel pattern. I don't know if that allows more light to be blocked more effectively or what. It seems like they've got more diagonals in each of the pixel quadrants.

The AVForums LCD-Matrices... thread has some pics up of the 55ex500 and the Sammy 40C7000.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #641 of 6195 Old 04-06-2010, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Thanks for the info gmar.

Pen, yeah I think im going 55. My stand is a long low cabinet with a big back wall on it which i hang the set.

If I do 60 it kind of covers everythign just about end to end and shelf to shelf that are on the ends. Its just a bit to much.

The thought is still there But im pretty sure its 55.

I was looking at the LG 55le5400 that set was very impressive. Very accurate color and nice motion and killer image adjusts. The blacks were a little lighter than the sony.

The 55le5500 is a led local dimming set with an ips panel wide angle view and 2 ms response time. Thats why id like to see it quick before I pull the trigger on the ex500.
post #642 of 6195 Old 04-06-2010, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

When I first turned on my Sony KDL-40EX500, the picture had a "washed out" quality that left much to be desired. That's until someone on this message thread mentioned turning off the Ambient Sensor in the setting and WOW, the picture quality is just as good as I've seen from many Samsungs without the overly-vivid color I've seen from many CCFL-backlit Samsung panels.

Raymond in Sacramento, CA
post #643 of 6195 Old 04-07-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info gmar.

Pen, yeah I think im going 55. My stand is a long low cabinet with a big back wall on it which i hang the set.

If I do 60 it kind of covers everythign just about end to end and shelf to shelf that are on the ends. Its just a bit to much.

The thought is still there But im pretty sure its 55.

I was looking at the LG 55le5400 that set was very impressive. Very accurate color and nice motion and killer image adjusts. The blacks were a little lighter than the sony.

The 55le5500 is a led local dimming set with an ips panel wide angle view and 2 ms response time. Thats why id like to see it quick before I pull the trigger on the ex500.

I think that's a common theme w LG... their TV's sacrifice base black level to get better shadow detail and better color accuracy. Sony and Samsung go for the deeper black level but sacrifice some of the shadow detail to get there. Two different philosophies.

The le5500 does sound interesting... my second choice before buying the EX500 was the LH90. I just got such a good deal on the EX500 that I couldn't justify the extra money for the LG.
post #644 of 6195 Old 04-07-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:

I like that cabinet you have your set on. Who makes it?
post #645 of 6195 Old 04-07-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheidis View Post

I played wii on this last night - I don't have too many games but I noticed lag on some things.

-- karaoke revoulution - this is unplayable unless you like to sing into the mic and then hear yourself through the speakers a split second later. I tried calibrating a bunch of times, both on the positive and negative and nothing would fix it.

-- guitar hero 5 - I thought after karaoke revolution this wouldn't work, but after calibrating just once the guitar synced fine. However, the vocals don't sync just like in karaoke revolution. (don't have a drum set).

-- wii sports, the disc that comes with wii - seemed fine to me.

-- wii sports resort - this seems fine to me. maybe a split second wouldn't make a different on this

-- wii fit - most games were fine, however, very noticable lag on the kung fu where you have to time your moves exactly. So there must be lag, just notice it more on certain games.

-- Just Dance is fine since exact timing isn't a huge issue.

-- Also tried a non-Wii karaoke system (on-key karaoke) that hooks up with composite - and while it had a slight lag it was still usable - and not as bad as the karaoke revolution lag.

I had it on game scene - and I tried some others, but nothing changed the lag. Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong though, as I'm new to HDTVs and these issues.

I was playing MW2 and BC2 on my XBOX last night with no noticeable lag. I am plugged into my receiver via HDMI and then to my tv HDMI. How are you connected to your television?
post #646 of 6195 Old 04-07-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoy View Post

I was playing MW2 and BC2 on my XBOX last night with no noticeable lag. I am plugged into my receiver via HDMI and then to my tv HDMI. How are you connected to your television?

Wii doesn't have hdmi, so I had to use composite/component (tried both on the tv, wii only has red/white/yellow)
post #647 of 6195 Old 04-07-2010, 02:40 PM

Silly question but I am getting different answers from different sites: does the 40 ex 500 have LAN port? I'm trying to find the best set for under 900 and I would prefer a Sony. I really want the w5100 but its Juat out of my price range. Thanks!
post #648 of 6195 Old 04-07-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Wii doesn't have hdmi, so I had to use composite/component (tried both on the tv, wii only has red/white/yellow)

I have my Wii plugged in composite into my receiver. I will try it either tonight or tomorrow night since my receiver is HDMI to my TV.
post #649 of 6195 Old 04-07-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscoJosh View Post

Silly question but I am getting different answers from different sites: does the 40 ex 500 have LAN port? I'm trying to find the best set for under 900 and I would prefer a Sony. I really want the w5100 but its Juat out of my price range. Thanks!

No LAN port.
post #650 of 6195 Old 04-07-2010, 07:23 PM

I played some Wii Resort tonight and the lag is the what I find acceptable for motion-sensing technology. It was the same on the 40V3000 that I had.
post #651 of 6195 Old 04-07-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoy View Post

I played some Wii Resort tonight and the lag is the what I find acceptable for motion-sensing technology. It was the same on the 40V3000 that I had.

How well does this TV handle motion? Motionflow on & off. How much can you adjust the settings? I know Samsung's have seperate judder/blur settings outside of their automotion feature.
post #652 of 6195 Old 04-07-2010, 09:19 PM

I just picked up my 46ex500 and I must say the pq and features is awesome for the low price compared to other much higher priced Lcd/Led's....

Also, I chose the the 500 over the 501... I think the gun metal bezel finish on the 500 looks pretty sharp and classy looking... the 501 all black bezel made the set look kind of cheapish looking just like the lower model LG sets....

Just popped in a Blu rau of 2012 and the picture looks amazing until I turn auto motion 120hz on high... then its hilarious.... the Volcanos, mountains, plane crashes, etc... all look so fake and Cgi..... its funny as hell that the main characters are talking in front of your screen almost popping out of your screen and the background behind them is fake looking... I think it ruins the movie.... I did however use the automotion during an Hd NBA basketball game and it looked amazing...... just my 2 cents...
post #653 of 6195 Old 04-07-2010, 11:01 PM

I turned off my wii so the tv said "no signal" and after 10 minutes or so I the tv shut off on it's own. Is it supposed to do this when there's no signal?
post #654 of 6195 Old 04-08-2010, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by billytk03z View Post

I just picked up my 46ex500 and I must say the pq and features is awesome for the low price compared to other much higher priced Lcd/Led's....

Also, I chose the the 500 over the 501... I think the gun metal bezel finish on the 500 looks pretty sharp and classy looking... the 501 all black bezel made the set look kind of cheapish looking just like the lower model LG sets....

Just popped in a Blu rau of 2012 and the picture looks amazing until I turn auto motion 120hz on high... then its hilarious.... the Volcanos, mountains, plane crashes, etc... all look so fake and Cgi..... its funny as hell that the main characters are talking in front of your screen almost popping out of your screen and the background behind them is fake looking... I think it ruins the movie.... I did however use the automotion during an Hd NBA basketball game and it looked amazing...... just my 2 cents...

No such thing as "Automotion". Do you mean Motionflow, or Cinemotion?

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #655 of 6195 Old 04-08-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:

I turned off my wii so the tv said "no signal" and after 10 minutes or so I the tv shut off on it's own. Is it supposed to do this when there's no signal?

Yes, there is an auto shutoff in the settings in the menu. I think it is in the bottom selection on the left side of the menu.
post #656 of 6195 Old 04-08-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJmobileII View Post

How well does this TV handle motion? Motionflow on & off. How much can you adjust the settings? I know Samsung's have seperate judder/blur settings outside of their automotion feature.

I have the motion-flow turned on standard and I have no complaints. When it is on high, then things start to look goofy, as in all motion-control functions on all brands of televisions.
post #657 of 6195 Old 04-08-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post

No such thing as "Automotion". Do you mean Motionflow, or Cinemotion?

LOL.... you know what I mean..... yes, motionflow I turn off or on standard (except for HD sports, then I turn on high) and cinemotion is always auto 1...
post #658 of 6195 Old 04-08-2010, 08:53 AM

I know he Ex500/501 is semi-matte/matte but is the Ve5 more matte/less reflective?
post #659 of 6195 Old 04-08-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post

Using PIP with a DVD player at 1080i thru an HDMI input would not work either, because it is a HDTV video resolution.
The PIP selection is not shown on the tools menu when the main screen input is a HDTV resolution.

The PIP on this model is limited to showing only a HDMI PC timing input in the main window and another video signal in the PIP sub-window.
This restriction is clearly pointed out in the owner's manual.

Because of having a single tuner, simultaneous use of an HDMI HDTV video signal and the tuner may be limited.

Here is an edited version of what the owner's manual states;

Main window PC input 15-pin RGB(VGA)
Sub-window - TV channel (CABLE/ANTENNA), (RCA) VIDEO IN 1/2, HDMI IN 1/2/3/4 (video timing)

Main window HDMI input (PC timing *)
Sub-window - TV channel (CABLE/ANTENNA), (RCA) VIDEO IN 1/2, COMPONENT IN 1/2.
*The 720p/1080p/i timing when applied to the HDMI input will be treated as a video timing and not PC timing.

Okay, I've got it now, thanks. PC has to be the main input but can't use a "video timing". Which sucks rocks since to use it I'd have to lower my PC's resolution before engaging PIP. It can be done but then it affects the picture quality of the media being played. I'll have to decide if I can live with this.

Thanks!
post #660 of 6195 Old 04-08-2010, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post

Okay, I've got it now, thanks. PC has to be the main input but can't use a "video timing". Which sucks rocks since to use it I'd have to lower my PC's resolution before engaging PIP. It can be done but then it affects the picture quality of the media being played. I'll have to decide if I can live with this.

Thanks!

Samsung, (at least last years models) did not have this limitation.
Although, equivalent Samsung models may not have PIP. I think you have to go up to the 6 series to get PIP.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia 60 Inch Lcd Hdtv Kdl 60ex500 , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 52v5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page