Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 6195 Old 04-13-2010, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky View Post

I just got the 40EX501 at BJ's in Massachusetts over the weekend. The two closest stores were totally out of stock, had to drive about 25 miles to a store that had a couple left.

Very happy so far...

Same here, but for a non-costco model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 6195 Old 04-13-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Looks like the production stoppage is starting to take hold.
post #723 of 6195 Old 04-13-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky View Post

I just got the 40EX501 at BJ's in Massachusetts over the weekend. The two closest stores were totally out of stock, had to drive about 25 miles to a store that had a couple left.

Very happy so far...

Does it swivel? And it's all black?
post #724 of 6195 Old 04-13-2010, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Sony screwed up again. They just can't design a decent looking frame. There is always something goofy about it. This time it's too wide and, to make matters worse, it's flat and uneven. Being piano black and shiny it shows how cheaply it is made.

Not that Samsung is without faults with the chin but this year their 6300 series is a thing of beauty. I admit that the frame is not why we buy TV sets but ugly is ugly.
post #725 of 6195 Old 04-13-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur View Post

Sony screwed up again. They just can't design a decent looking frame. There is always something goofy about it. This time it's too wide and, to make matters worse, it's flat and uneven. Being piano black and shiny it shows how cheaply it is made.

Not that Samsung is without faults with the chin but this year their 6300 series is a thing of beauty. I admit that the frame is not why we buy TV sets but ugly is ugly.

Just turn off the lights, and turn on the TV. I have no problems...at ALL!
post #726 of 6195 Old 04-13-2010, 04:12 PM

I just picked my 46" up from BestBuy today, so far very happy. DishHD looks far better than it did on my last Samsung 40" and I haven't even tweaked it yet. Won't be doing much besides watching Dish tonight since my new receiver shows up tomorrow, took the day off to get everything set up and do a first pass at calibration. More later, just updated the Harmony One and heading back upstairs to play.

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool. -Lester Bangs
post #727 of 6195 Old 04-13-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_c_b View Post

I just picked my 46" up from BestBuy today, so far very happy. DishHD looks far better than it did on my last Samsung 40" and I haven't even tweaked it yet. Won't be doing much besides watching Dish tonight since my new receiver shows up tomorrow, took the day off to get everything set up and do a first pass at calibration. More later, just updated the Harmony One and heading back upstairs to play.

Wow, and that's saying a lot! When I turned on mine, it was absolutely terrible. Took me a while to find decent settings, until my DVE disk arrived today. I almost had the "tweaked" settings, nailed down. Adjusted the brightness down 5, color down 4.
post #728 of 6195 Old 04-13-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur View Post

It's not bad.
Just wonder who designs these televisions... needs some teachin'.
post #729 of 6195 Old 04-13-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmfish View Post

Wow, and that's saying a lot! When I turned on mine, it was absolutely terrible. Took me a while to find decent settings, until my DVE disk arrived today. I almost had the "tweaked" settings, nailed down. Adjusted the brightness down 5, color down 4.

My DVE disk is ready and willing, soon as my receiver shows up it's going in. When initial set up asks if the device will be used in home or retail, apparently someone finally figured out torch mode sucks at home. I did turn off the ambient light sensor and changed the color to warm, but I'll put it through a full course or DVE before the weekend, the colors need tweaking but it was okay for cable viewing for one night.

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool. -Lester Bangs
post #730 of 6195 Old 04-14-2010, 02:03 AM

Picked up a 46EX500 today (so this has BE3 rather than BE2).

Early thoughts: I watched the "caves" episode of Planet Earth. Was able to achieve deep blacks, but lost too much shadow detail. The point of happy compromise yields both more than satisfactory blacks and shadow detail. I haven't yet watched a dark movie in a dark environment, however.

Matte screen is excellent. My screen is orthogonal to a large window opening onto my balcony. There's some glare, but it's quite muted. No concerns about the picture lacking vibrance (but I don't like the oversaturated look of the Samsung glossy screens).

Haven't noticed any uniformity problems.

Have used it as a PC monitor for my early 2008 Macbook Pro. I read a lot of PDFs for my research, and these come up crisp and clear. So this doubles as a great monitor when I'm working at home. I've also played a few games and the motion and picture is excellent.

On lag: I was a little worried about this lag having seen that YouTube video. But having played with the TV for a little, I'm pretty confident that the video shouldn't be trusted - although I don't really have any solid data to back that up. The lag on that video is comparable to what I'm getting *with* motionflow, etc. turned on. Once I turn off those features, the lag is noticeably and substantially better. Which is not to say that the lag is acceptable. It's certainly still noticeable if you look at those input lag timers. But in my brief real world testing, I haven't found it a problem - but then I've only so far played Oblivion, which is hardly a hectic game. I'd be happy to do some tests, but I don't have a fast camera. If there's another way to get reliable results, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Overall, very happy.
post #731 of 6195 Old 04-14-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheidis View Post

Does it swivel? And it's all black?

Yes, and yes. It has the three-year warranty, too.

BJ's sells the exact same model as Costco. (EX501)
post #732 of 6195 Old 04-14-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2 View Post

Has anyone here connected this to their PC and adjusted the picture settings for PC usage?

I bought a 40" EX500 over the weekend and I'm wondering if anyone has custom settings to use this TV as a computer monitor.

I've got my resolution and view mode adjusted to 1080p and everything is readable. My issue is colours, brightness, and all picture settings as a whole.

It'll primarily be used for PC gaming and I'll probably play with another group of settings for the HD STB and PS3 that's connected to it.

First impressions - very happy with the 40EX500

Make sure your pc is set to output full rgb if your main use is gaming. Make sure your tv is set to graphics for scene and set to full pixel for display area. You might have to adjust the overscan/underscan on your pc.
post #733 of 6195 Old 04-14-2010, 03:55 PM

Just came from my local costco. It has the 55ex501 with a manufacturers rebate for $200 off the 1699 price. Why a rebate so soon?
post #734 of 6195 Old 04-14-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRKes4 View Post

Picked up a 46EX500 today (so this has BE3 rather than BE2).

For the 46EX500 Sony's website says "Video Processing : BRAVIA Engine 2 Technology" ?
post #735 of 6195 Old 04-14-2010, 06:50 PM

Hi all,

I'm new onboard here! I have been reading a lot, but this is my first post. I just returned from Costco in metro Detroit with a new 55EX501. I have been reading the forum and looking at this Sony for some time. With the new $200 instant rebate at Costco, I just couldn't resist. Especially since I received the regular three year warranty plus the additional one year AMEX warranty. It was a 300 mile round trip, but well worth it.

I just got back in, so the fun begins tomorrow.

Best regards to all,

Ed
post #736 of 6195 Old 04-14-2010, 10:17 PM

My EX501 just died. Beware. It started showing signs about two weeks after it was installed on the wall.
  • While playing Xbox 360 (MW2) the screen would turn off but the sound would still be working
  • Watching HDTV through the HD receiver the set would turn off completely
  • On two occasions the screen went completely berzerk and showed a number of colors - see attached photo
  • Finally tonight I couldn't even turn it on, the green light would shine and then the red light would flash repeatedly

Bummed. I really liked this TV. I bought it at Costco a month ago so I have no apprehension returning it - but removing it from the wall, uninstalling the bracket, putting it in the box, hauling it back and then mounting it again - pain in the @ss!!! Also, I am wondering if another ex501 will have similar problems (I am hoping not).

It was busted on the first three points on different HDMI inputs, so I am pretty sure it was not the cables. The unit didn't receive any hard jolts in transport home and installation, so I'm pretty sure this is just a general defect.

BUMMER!!!!
LL
post #737 of 6195 Old 04-15-2010, 05:09 AM

Gamehaus- Sorry about the premature failure. That really is a bummer! But, at least with Costco you have 90 days to return it. It would be worse if you had to have a warranty repair. If my 'EX' were to fail early, I would hope it would be in the first 90 days too.

Ed
post #738 of 6195 Old 04-15-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakjim View Post

For the 46EX500 Sony's website says "Video Processing : BRAVIA Engine 2 Technology" ?

I'm in Australia. We get BE3. So does Europe, IIRC.
post #739 of 6195 Old 04-15-2010, 06:54 AM

call sony, someone said they are doing replacement and not repairs. If its the same process I had with a sharp replacement its pretty easy. Specialized shipping company comes to your house, brings new one, takes old one.
post #740 of 6195 Old 04-15-2010, 07:46 AM

I am having a COD get together at my house in 2 days - so I'll just take this on myself. I had the TV specially installed with a super tight mount that is very close to the wall and it was very hard to get situated properly. In general all LCD sets should have a considerable cavity for the inputs or have them all face to the side. So getting this thing off is a two man job.

I'll shoot another note about the Costco return experience! I'm hoping to actually process a complete return so that I can go back to zero on another 90 day return warranty.
post #741 of 6195 Old 04-15-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRKes4 View Post

I'm in Australia. We get BE3. So does Europe, IIRC.

Thanks for the clarification.
post #742 of 6195 Old 04-15-2010, 05:32 PM

hello I am considering getting this tv. I am concerned about game lag. I have read every page here and have gotten different answers. I am interested in wii and ps2 hooked up via component. Some say the lag is fine with game mode on and all other processing off. Others say the lag is bad with game mode on and all processing off. My question is what is the general feeling. I am a little worried. I know for ps2 eben though I will have it in component. There are a few gmes I have with are 480i. Will these deffinatly be ok. Also can someone test the wii in depth with game mode on and all processing off. This tv looks perfect for me but the lag fir these two systems scared me. Can someone let me for certain about lag?

Please and thank you

Zero
post #743 of 6195 Old 04-15-2010, 06:00 PM

I got the 55EX500 free from my sony visa card using my earned points. I was going to get the new v25 series panny, but I could not wait till summer, and free is free. Honestly, for an lcd tv, its great. My parents have a 65 v10 panny and that tv is far superior to the sony imo, but thats not a fair comparison (and they have about 300 hours on it so far and no diminished black levels yet).

I do have the cloudiness people have complained about, but its only noticeable with no lights on and during all black scenes, doesn't really bother me.

Gaming lag is non-existent when set to game mode through scene selection. However, I have only played both my ps3 and 360 through hdmi directly connected to the set. I cannot verify lag through the other inputs.

Overall I'm very happy with the set.
post #744 of 6195 Old 04-15-2010, 06:09 PM

Ive had this TV now for about a month and im loving it.
I have the 32EX500 paid $555 shipped and im using it as my pc monitor.

The picture is beautiful and the blacks are very nice.
I find the speakers on this set suck though but its not a big deal since I purchased the Sony BDVE300 home theater in a box.

Would like to see more Calibrations for each scene.
Movie, Sports and Game etc.

I used the pc settings on page 3 Thanks :up:
post #745 of 6195 Old 04-15-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBackSlap View Post

Ive had this TV now for about a month and im loving it.
I have the 32EX500 paid $555 shipped and im using it as my pc monitor.

The picture is beautiful and the blacks are very nice.
I find the speakers on this set suck though but its not a big deal since I purchased the Sony BDVE300 home theater in a box.

Would like to see more Calibrations for each scene.
Movie, Sports and Game etc.

I used the pc settings on page 3 Thanks :up:

I use modified XBR9 settings you can find on tweaktv. Use those, and adjust accordingly.
post #746 of 6195 Old 04-15-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:

I'm new onboard here! I have been reading a lot, but this is my first post. I just returned from Costco in metro Detroit with a new 55EX501. I have been reading the forum and looking at this Sony for some time. With the new $200 instant rebate at Costco, I just couldn't resist. Especially since I received the regular three year warranty plus the additional one year AMEX warranty. It was a 300 mile round trip, but well worth it.

I just got back in, so the fun begins tomorrow.

Well, I installed this set today and wired everything up. I have to say that the hd quality was truly impressive right out of the box. The wife and I sat there in amazement. I worked in the broadcast video business and I know good video when I see it. The blacks are definitely black. Very nice.

I have not had a lot of time to fine tune the video set-up yet, so I'm sure further improvement can be made. So far, the one flaw I noticed was in watching an 'sd' hockey game tonight, what I would call 'motion blur' seemed excessive. I did find the video menu and set the 'motion blur' to high. That did seem to help somewhat, but I was still less than impressed with that facet of this set. If any one has any comments about this, I would appreciate them.

Regards,

Ed

ps...I meant to mention that I was told by the folks at Costco that the $200 instant rebate on this model is good until April 25th in case anyone is interested.
post #747 of 6195 Old 04-15-2010, 06:35 PM

jdmfish* Yea Ive seen all those settings for other TV's but I still haven't seen professional calibrations for the ex500.

Besides didn't really like them too much.

Would like somebody who has the time to bless us with good setting for movies, games etc.
post #748 of 6195 Old 04-15-2010, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raditech View Post

Well, I installed this set today and wired everything up. I have to say that the hd quality was truly impressive right out of the box. The wife and I sat there in amazement. I worked in the broadcast video business and I know good video when I see it. The blacks are definitely black. Very nice.

I have not had a lot of time to fine tune the video set-up yet, so I'm sure further improvement can be made. So far, the one flaw I noticed was in watching an 'sd' hockey game tonight, what I would call 'motion blur' seemed excessive. I did find the video menu and set the 'motion blur' to high. That did seem to help somewhat, but I was still less than impressed with that facet of this set. If any one has any comments about this, I would appreciate them.

Regards,

Ed

ps...I meant to mention that I was told by the folks at Costco that the $200 instant rebate on this model is good until April 25th in case anyone is interested.

I would hold off on judging the set until you know the quality of the source.
broadcast television is not a good test, Blu-Ray would be preferable.
post #749 of 6195 Old 04-15-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBackSlap View Post

jdmfish* Yea Ive seen all those settings for other TV's but I still haven't seen professional calibrations for the ex500.

Besides didn't really like them too much.

Would like somebody who has the time to bless us with good setting for movies, games etc.

I turned every image enhancement off and left motionflow on standard. Picture looks awesome.
post #750 of 6195 Old 04-15-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullhorn View Post

I would hold off on judging the set until you know the quality of the source.
broadcast television is not a good test, Blu-Ray would be preferable.

I agree, I don't believe any of these sets can work miracles with junky standard def sources. My dedicated scaler has a hard enough time with most sd content.....it's just the nature of the bandwidth. I wouldn't fault the tv in your instance......just my 02 cents.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia 60 Inch Lcd Hdtv Kdl 60ex500 , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 52v5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread - 52v5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page