Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 6195 Old 04-21-2010, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfun1 View Post

so what would be the exact settings to make it look good?

What kind of lighting conditions do you watch TV in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 6195 Old 04-21-2010, 08:36 PM

Liked: 11
its in the living room, usually at work during the day, so only get sunlight on it for an hour or so, then just the overhead ceiling fan light on in the living room to light the room, not too bright.
post #813 of 6195 Old 04-21-2010, 08:44 PM

One thing I've found is that by turning the Power Saver to Low or High, you can get the backlight even dimmer than by having Power Saver Off and setting the Backlight to Min. (But you need to do this in the right order. Once you've turned on power saver, you can't edit the backlight setting as per normal). I've found that by setting Power Saver to High, I can get quite impressive blacks in even a barely lit environment, and it's still plenty bright.
post #814 of 6195 Old 04-21-2010, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRKes4 View Post

One thing I've found is that by turning the Power Saver to Low or High, you can get the backlight even dimmer than by having Power Saver Off and setting the Backlight to Min. (But you need to do this in the right order. Once you've turned on power saver, you can't edit the backlight setting as per normal). I've found that by setting Power Saver to High, I can get quite impressive blacks in even a barely lit environment, and it's still plenty bright.

And if you turn the ambient light sensor on, it gets even darker still.

Actually, I don't know if there's a difference in picture brightness between turning on power save or turning on the ambient light sensor in a dark room.

Wish someone had some calibration equipment and could measure the black level with backlight on Min. and power save on low.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #815 of 6195 Old 04-21-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

And if you turn the ambient light sensor on, it gets even darker still.

Actually, I don't know if there's a difference in picture brightness between turning on power save or turning on the ambient light sensor in a dark room.

Wish someone had some calibration equipment and could measure the black level with backlight on Min. and power save on low.

Good question. I haven't tried out Power Saving on High + Ambient Sensor.

But, from memory, when I had Power Saving off, and was using your suggestion from earlier in the thread - Ambient Sensor on, ACE on medium - my black level wasn't quite as good. But maybe I had the backlight on a higher value. When I get the chance I'll have to do a little more subjective testing.
post #816 of 6195 Old 04-21-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:

Just an FYI-we bought this tv about 2 1/2 months ago right after they came out at costco with the 3 year standard warranty for 1699 and love it!

After reading here about the $200 instant rebate they are now offering, i told my wife about it and since she was going to costco today she asked them about it.

They told her that normally they only give the rebate back if within 30 days of the date we bought it, but we could box it up, return it and buy a new one for the new price since we are under 90 days, but to save us the hassle-which we would have done, they went ahead and gave us the cash right there! We also had just bought a bed as well a couple weeks later and it now has a $100 rebate as well. they just handed her $300 in cash! Boy, i love costco!

Disneyfun1 - I purchased the 55EX501 from Costco about a week ago when they first announced the $200 instant rebate. I just couldn't pass it up. I also received the extra year warranty with the AMEX card. My wife and I have been extremely pleased with our purchase too. I have been lucky in that I have not noticed any bad or stuck pixels in the display or any flashlighting. So far so good.

I was happy to hear that Costco was willing to honor the $200 instant rebate in your case also. Congrats! I hope you enjoy your 'EX' as much as we do ours.

Ed
post #817 of 6195 Old 04-21-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:

Maybe there's a difference between EU and US sets in this regard, but on my 55EX500 setting Power Saving to High gives way too dim picture. Setting it to Low is a good option, then it gives 17-75ftL (Backlight min-max) with contrast at 90.
post #818 of 6195 Old 04-21-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaniH View Post

Maybe there's a difference between EU and US sets in this regard, but on my 55EX500 setting Power Saving to High gives way too dim picture. Setting it to Low is a good option, then it gives 17-75ftL (Backlight min-max) with contrast at 90.

Well, I'm in Australia, so I'm not sure about the first point. I think Power Saving on High is fine in a barely lit room. I agree that it's too dim during the day, or with the lights on.
post #819 of 6195 Old 04-21-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasupilla View Post

JaniH, what are your setting for the ex500? Can you please post i.e color, hue, sharpness, picture values etc..

Sure, though these are only preliminary settings and some of them might change after I've tweaked the set a little more. My sources are PS3 and Dvico 6500 coming through an HDMI switch to HDMI1 input.

Picture Mode Custom
Backlight 6-Max (with Power saving Low and Contrast 90 gives 50-75ftL)
Contrast 90
Brightness 48 (correct setting with Avia)
Color 57 (correct setting with Spyder2)
Hue 0
Noise reduction settings Off to Low depending on source material
Color Temp Warm 1
Sharpness 5
MotionFlow Off
Film mode Auto1

Advanced Settings
All Off except Adv. contrast enhancer Low
Gamma -1 (gives ~2,1 gamma, -2 probably gives close to 2,2 gamma, have to measure it later)
White Balance
R-Gain 0
G-Gain 0
B-Gain -21
R-Bias +8
G-Bias 0
B-Bias -10
post #820 of 6195 Old 04-21-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:

Well, I'm in Australia, so I'm not sure about the first point. I think Power Saving on High is fine in a barely lit room. I agree that it's too dim during the day, or with the lights on.

Oh, ok. I'm a fan of bright and punchy picture so this is naturally a matter of personal opinion.

Does the AU sets have BE2 or BE3?
post #821 of 6195 Old 04-22-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Sure, though these are only preliminary settings and some of them might change after I've tweaked the set a little more. My sources are PS3 and Dvico 6500 coming through an HDMI switch to HDMI1 input.

Picture Mode Custom
Contrast 90
Hue 0
Color Temp Warm 1
Sharpness 5
MotionFlow Off
Film mode Auto1

Advanced Settings
Gamma -1 (gives ~2,1 gamma, -2 probably gives close to 2,2 gamma, have to measure it later)
White Balance
R-Gain 0
G-Gain 0
B-Gain -21
R-Bias +8
G-Bias 0
B-Bias -10

Love the settings the picture pops and you can see detail. I have the 40 ex500, but the settings work on this set. Thanks
post #822 of 6195 Old 04-24-2010, 04:36 PM

I've read every post on this thread. Good stuff.

I'm taking a strong look at the 32EX500 for my bedroom. Two points...

"From 8 feet the 55 was impressive, immersive - the HD was clear - but in the end it made me tired and slightly disoriented scanning the screen with my eyes constantly. Since the 46" is so much smaller (in comparison) the picture is even clearer."

I have to say, I'm amazed at how big you guys like your TV's at what I would consider a short distance. My eyes are going to be roughly 10' from the screen. I lie back on a queen size bed, have about 4.5' between where my feet end and the screen. I currently am rocking an ancient 20" Tube TV but will upgrade for the World Cup in June (I watch a lot of sports in my bedroom because the family hogs the 50" Panny plasma in our living room).

All the TV distance guides I read online (along with what others have said in forums, including here) have suggested I get a 42" plasma, etc. But honestly I think that's crazy. 32" will be perfect for me. If I were sharing the bed with someone who was also watching then I think 37" would be best (42" would just look ridiculous with respect to the size of the room itself). But it's interesting how when discussing viewing distance, factors like the size of the room and how many people will be watching (and where they will also be sitting) is not discussed.

And regarding the bezel. Honestly the first thing that attracted to me the 32EX500 is that brush metal piece at the bottom. I think it looks really sharp and adds style to the piece. Most LCD's look the same with their four black edges (except for Samsung's, but I'm hit or miss on their bezels, not really a fan of red).

Gonna wait till the end of May/early June to make my purchase (hoping the price comes down a bit and I don't need it really till then. Wish MA didn't have sales tax. I'll probably end up buying from Amazon). I'll report back once it's set up.
post #823 of 6195 Old 04-24-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairhh View Post

I've read every post on this thread. Good stuff.

I'm taking a strong look at the 32EX500 for my bedroom. Two points...

"From 8 feet the 55 was impressive, immersive - the HD was clear - but in the end it made me tired and slightly disoriented scanning the screen with my eyes constantly. Since the 46" is so much smaller (in comparison) the picture is even clearer."

I have to say, I'm amazed at how big you guys like your TV's at what I would consider a short distance. My eyes are going to be roughly 10' from the screen. I lie back on a queen size bed, have about 4.5' between where my feet end and the screen. I currently am rocking an ancient 20" Tube TV but will upgrade for the World Cup in June (I watch a lot of sports in my bedroom because the family hogs the 50" Panny plasma in our living room).

All the TV distance guides I read online (along with what others have said in forums, including here) have suggested I get a 42" plasma, etc. But honestly I think that's crazy. 32" will be perfect for me. If I were sharing the bed with someone who was also watching then I think 37" would be best (42" would just look ridiculous with respect to the size of the room itself). But it's interesting how when discussing viewing distance, factors like the size of the room and how many people will be watching (and where they will also be sitting) is not discussed.

And regarding the bezel. Honestly the first thing that attracted to me the 32EX500 is that brush metal piece at the bottom. I think it looks really sharp and adds style to the piece. Most LCD's look the same with their four black edges (except for Samsung's, but I'm hit or miss on their bezels, not really a fan of red).

Gonna wait till the end of May/early June to make my purchase (hoping the price comes down a bit and I don't need it really till then. Wish MA didn't have sales tax. I'll probably end up buying from Amazon). I'll report back once it's set up.

I've had a 32 LCD forever. Along side a 34" XBR970 tube - which I sold because it was so big, but I have never seen a picture close to what it was capable of. Nonetheless, I am extremely happy with my 40EX400.

I too watch lots of sports, and moving from 32 to 40 was SO worth it. I sit about 5' from the TV. And I play Xbox at about 3.5' or so. Just having the extra screen real estate for watching sports has alone been worth the upgrade.

I highly recommend the 40" EX model(s).
post #824 of 6195 Old 04-24-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:

Picture Mode Custom
Contrast 90
Hue 0
Color Temp Warm 1
Sharpness 5
MotionFlow Off
Film mode Auto1

Advanced Settings
White Balance
R-Gain 0
G-Gain 0
B-Gain -21
R-Bias +8
G-Bias 0
B-Bias -10

Tried these setting on my ex500 and I was impressed with the level of black you get. But was too dark if you can believe that lol. I was was watching The Dark Knight and I couldn't see the details of peoples clothes cause the image was too dark plus the colors where a bit too reddish for my taste. One thing though that I was thinking Backlight at 6 and power saving low, isnt that the same thing as just having Backlight at 1?

I dont remember where I got these but these are my setting for now for blu ray movies.

Custom
Backlight 2
Contrast 92
Brightness 52
Color 49
Hue 0
Color Temp Neutral
Noise reduction Off
Sharpness Min
Motionflow standard < depending on mood really but off everyother time.
Film mode Auto1

Gamma +1
everything else off
White Balance
R-Gain 0
G-Gain -1
B-Gain -4
R-Bias -3
G-Bias 0
B-Bias -1
post #825 of 6195 Old 04-24-2010, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBackSlap View Post

Tried these setting on my ex500 and I was impressed with the level of black you get. But was too dark if you can believe that lol. I was was watching The Dark Knight and I couldn't see the details of peoples clothes cause the image was too dark plus the colors where a bit too reddish for my taste. One thing though that I was thinking Backlight at 6 and power saving low, isnt that the same thing as just having Backlight at 1?

I dont remember where I got these but these are my setting for now for blu ray movies.

Custom
Backlight 2
Contrast 92
Brightness 52
Color 49
Hue 0
Color Temp Neutral
Noise reduction Off
Sharpness Min
Film mode Auto1

Gamma +1
everything else off
White Balance
R-Gain 0
G-Gain -1
B-Gain -4
R-Bias -3
G-Bias 0
B-Bias -1

I also played around with those settings. I ended up putting the color to 55 instead of 57, and I turned the gamma to 0, and the brightness went back to 51. This seems to give me exactly the amount of shadow detail I'd want. Gamma at -2 is a much higher gamma than 2.2, just from memory. There isn't really much in the way of shadow detail.

The color you were able to achieve is excellent. Guess I should get the Spears and Munsil disc and start playing around.

post #826 of 6195 Old 04-25-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:

Custom
Backlight 2
Contrast 92
Brightness 52
Color 49
Hue 0
Color Temp Neutral
Noise reduction Off
Sharpness Min
Film mode Auto1

Gamma +1
everything else off
White Balance
R-Gain 0
G-Gain -1
B-Gain -4
R-Bias -3
G-Bias 0
B-Bias -1

Wow, that's nearly identical to mine, yet I am pretty sure I haven't posted them. I used DVE twice. (Except the bottom portion RGB g/b)
post #827 of 6195 Old 04-25-2010, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

JaniH, do you know how many ftL of light is emitted from the backlight at minimum?

I was just curious what it is up the scale- at minimum, 1, 2 etc.

Also, have you been able to measure black level. Do you have any Calman software?

Thanks

post #828 of 6195 Old 04-25-2010, 01:21 PM

Hey guys, please help me out - I was debating on whether to get a 40" Sony EX500 or a 40" Samsung C630.

Can somebody tell me what the response time is on the Ex50o?

The Samsung has a listed response time of 4ms, I'm hoping the Ex500 has the same, as I will be using video games a lot on the TV I choose.

Thanks.
post #829 of 6195 Old 04-25-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XciteMe83 View Post

Hey guys, please help me out - I was debating on whether to get a 40" Sony EX500 or a 40" Samsung C630.

Can somebody tell me what the response time is on the Ex50o?

The Samsung has a listed response time of 4ms, I'm hoping the Ex500 has the same, as I will be using video games a lot on the TV I choose.

Thanks.

Not sure, specifically, as I am not aware of Sony posting the response time. Anyways, I game a decent amount (~2hrs a day), and find online play acceptable. If it is a deal breaker for you, I'd get a plasma.
post #830 of 6195 Old 04-25-2010, 03:11 PM

Yeah I find it strange that Sony doesn't have the response time listed on any official specs, in fact unofficial specs for the Ex500 from third party sites have it listed as 8ms... That can't be right!
post #831 of 6195 Old 04-25-2010, 04:58 PM

Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm trying to hook up a desktop in order to stream some things like hulu, netflix etc. I have a DVI to hdmi cable and the video is working perfectly. I also have one of the PC audio cables running into the TV but I can't figure out how to get the sound to play on the TV.
post #832 of 6195 Old 04-25-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwkua View Post

Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm trying to hook up a desktop in order to stream some things like hulu, netflix etc. I have a DVI to hdmi cable and the video is working perfectly. I also have one of the PC audio cables running into the TV but I can't figure out how to get the sound to play on the TV.

DVI doesn't carry sound.

You can use DVI-HDMI and just use the 3.5mm-Stereo RCA to HDMI audio input.
post #833 of 6195 Old 04-25-2010, 06:36 PM

I really really, really wish somebody can confirm or at least help out with the response time on this TV... It will be the determining factor of whether or not I get this over the 4ms response time of the Samsung C630, since I will be playing video games a lot.

post #834 of 6195 Old 04-25-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:

I really really, really wish somebody can confirm or at least help out with the response time on this TV... It will be the determining factor of whether or not I get this over the 4ms response time of the Samsung C630, since I will be playing video games a lot.

I'm not sure what the response time is but the EX500 is so much better for playing games. I had the C630 before I got the EX500. I play gears of war 2 a lot and the motion blur was bad on the C630(even when set to game mode). The EX500 is 100% better. When set to game mode I dont notice any lag or motion blur and it also looks great with motionflow on. The hd picture on both tvs was great but I couldn't handle the motion blur on the C630 so I got the EX500 and couldn't be happier. If you check the C630 forums you'll see how many people complain about gaming on that tv.
post #835 of 6195 Old 04-25-2010, 08:30 PM

i just got the ex500, and i gotta say its the best hdtv i gotten so far ! i wanted to know if anybody had ps3 settings for that hdtv ? because im not sure if the ex500 accepts rgb full from my ps3...and im also wondering which one is better, limited or full ??
post #836 of 6195 Old 04-25-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJ927 View Post

I'm not sure what the response time is but the EX500 is so much better for playing games. I had the C630 before I got the EX500. I play gears of war 2 a lot and the motion blur was bad on the C630(even when set to game mode). The EX500 is 100% better. When set to game mode I dont notice any lag or motion blur and it also looks great with motionflow on. The hd picture on both tvs was great but I couldn't handle the motion blur on the C630 so I got the EX500 and couldn't be happier. If you check the C630 forums you'll see how many people complain about gaming on that tv.

Yeah I did notice all the complaints about lag in the C630... It may be silly but part of me just feels more comfortable thinking Sony would make a TV that can accommodate their PS3, moreso than Samsung would, but whatever... I'm more and more leaning towards the EX500 every day.

I'm still on the fence however. But hearing from people like you who've seen both sets in action, definitely helps.

How long did you keep the C630 before you returned it???
post #837 of 6195 Old 04-25-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:

4ms
post #838 of 6195 Old 04-25-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobitaille23 View Post

4ms

Oh cool man, good to hear although I'm not believing anything until I see it... Where did you read this from???

Thanks.
post #839 of 6195 Old 04-26-2010, 12:08 AM

I have to agree about the comments made on black detail. I've changed my gamma to 0 and brightness to 50 and it seems better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

JaniH, do you know how many ftL of light is emitted from the backlight at minimum?

I was just curious what it is up the scale- at minimum, 1, 2 etc.

Also, have you been able to measure black level. Do you have any Calman software?

Thanks

If I remember correctly, backlight at min it was something around 16-17ftL. I can measure the light output with each backlight setting and energy saving at low/normal the next time I'm taking some measurements.

I have some black level numbers, but the Spyder 2 sensor is way too unreliable at low levels for the results to be anything usable. I'm using HCFR software.
post #840 of 6195 Old 04-26-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:

One thing though that I was thinking Backlight at 6 and power saving low, isnt that the same thing as just having Backlight at 1?

If the only thing the power saving option does is reduce the backlight value, then yes. Does anyone know is this all the power saving setting does?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia 60 Inch Lcd Hdtv Kdl 60ex500 , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 52v5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page