Old 05-02-2010, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaibrok View Post

i'm really close to pulling the trigger on this set, It's either this or the sharp le700un. I've checked them out at the local store and they both look great. the sony is a lot cheaper but I still cant decide

After 4 or so hrs I can so far to this point put a recommend on this set. Im liking it so far.

This is one big puppy. Here is a pic or 2. Not really for anything but to see it. Its only tweaked to my liking o far. Which is all I may actually do this time rather than getting crazy will calibrate this and that. That road only has lead me to disappointment

Yeah dont laugh the baby powder made it into the bin....AGAIN dam it.

Ill get better pics later or at night.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

It sounds like static contrast ratio is about as useful as dynamic contrast ratio: what I think we need is real world contrast ratios for best black level, absolute best contrast ratio and the middle ground of optimum contrast ratio (with good black level).

Dynamic contrast ratio doesn't tell you anything useful that I can think of. Static contrast ratio does tell you how bright and how dark the set can do at the same time, which I do find useful... although these days most lcds have become pretty good at both ends of this spectrum. The problem with contrast ratio is it doesn't tell you how accurately blacks and colors track as the signal goes from the lowest levels to the highest levels the set can display. You've got to look at other stats to figure that out.

...or just play with the TV until you get a picture you are happy with and forget about the stats .
Old 05-02-2010, 11:02 AM

Anyone know if the Sony logo splash screen when you turn on the TV can be disabled? I've got the EX500 46", and that's my only complaint so far...otherwise, this TV is amazing compared to the defective 42" Insignia it replaced (and for $1000, I couldn't ask for a better TV!).
Old 05-02-2010, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, Been watching all day since this morning. Watched till 4am last eve. Dam adrenalin

Here are some early impressions for the 60 which as we know has the sharp screen rather than the samsung.

The black level imo is near the level of the v5100 from what I can tell so far. So that puts it around .01 very very solid especially for a 60 inch set. Imo in my history with TV's in order to get size you usually sacrifice Image brightness and black level. In this case you don't sacrifice any of that it seems.

The screen was very uniform. The set has excellent color to my eyes (no meter) but I have a very good eye for that.

This set in every way is better by a long shot over the 52v5100 series.

Anyway thats all I can think of for now.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:

i'm really close to pulling the trigger on this set, It's either this or the sharp le700un. I've checked them out at the local store and they both look great. the sony is a lot cheaper but I still cant decide

I'm in the same boat - I think it is a tough call - When they are side by side I think the Sharp has the brighter (better) PQ

The price difference I see is ONLY about $150.00
Old 05-02-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlclark View Post

Anyone know if the Sony logo splash screen when you turn on the TV can be disabled?

If it can be it's at the very least buried somewhere in the service menu somehwere. And that's if it's even in there....it could very well be firmware controlled and if that's the case you can't do anything but live with it. There's no option otherwise to disable it in the settings menu.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:53 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by csc67 View Post

I'm in the same boat - I think it is a tough call - When they are side by side I think the Sharp has the brighter (better) PQ

The price difference I see is ONLY about $150.00

I ended up going with the sony. in my area it was $400 cheaper than the sharp. (I know it says no price talk, hopefully thats ok to say that)

anyway, ill try to post some impressions later..too tired to even unpack it yet..
Old 05-02-2010, 06:50 PM

@ Serial

Here's my current 60EX500 settings I'm using for my PS3 as a source:

Calibration disc: Spears & Munsil

Viewing conditions: basement but some ambient light during the day

Backlight: 1 ( min when watching at night )
Picture: 87
Brightness: 51
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Temp: Warm 1
Sharpness: 6
Black corrector: Low

All other settings are off or set at zero. If I have a few lights on I'll often turn the backlight up a notch or two. White balance settings are all still default but I'm hoping to tweak those soon as I just got my EyeOne LT to use with ColorHCFR on my laptop.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I didn't realize that advanced contrast enhancer, while set to low, will actually lower the light output on an all black screen. It helps with those fade to black moments in movies, so I'm keeping mine on low. It slightly enhances contrast- very slightly, while the higher setting was the picture out.

I keep my backlight to minimum, as well, but I've played with advanced power save on low now and in a dark room, I might bump backlight up to 1.

I'm very curious to see the black level settings of this unit measured, especially at it's lowest level- backlight min., power save low/high, and ambient light sensor on. Just curious, because even though it's not a watchable setting, I'm more and more impressed with what Sony has done with this set.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
Old 05-02-2010, 09:42 PM

well I finally set it up (46 inch version)

I am very impressed with this set. I'm coming from a 3 year old sharp 720p 32" and this is a HUGE step up for me.

"cinema" scene looks really good with the dark knight on blu-ray. I'll probably mess with the settings some more after I get a DVE or spears&munsil disc.

now, to address the input lag.
I played super street fighter IV in "game" mode and I didn't really notice any lag.
I am not a pro at SSFIV but I was able to consistently pull off combos with ryu without trouble.
I am not really sensitive to lag though so I can't promise this set is lag free. I am too lazy to dig out my CRT monitor to test lag

anyway, I am quite pleased with this set, and for the price, i think I got a bargain.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

Ok, Been watching all day since this morning. Watched till 4am last eve. Dam adrenalin

Here are some early impressions for the 60 which as we know has the sharp screen rather than the samsung.

The black level imo is near the level of the v5100 from what I can tell so far. So that puts it around .01 very very solid especially for a 60 inch set. Imo in my history with TV's in order to get size you usually sacrifice Image brightness and black level. In this case you don't sacrifice any of that it seems.

The screen was very uniform. The set has excellent color to my eyes (no meter) but I have a very good eye for that.

This set in every way is better by a long shot over the 52v5100 series.

Anyway thats all I can think of for now.

I was down to either the Samsung 58c550 and the Sony 60ex500 and I think that you just sold me on the Sony, looks like I know what I will be getting in a few months.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Hawk. Ty. Tried the settings. I think my overall lighting I guess is just different. Its close but it didnt do it for me.

I just did a THX calibration. Just the disc using filters. I actually have come over time to not like DVE to much and prefer the THX and this other calibration disc and a few of my own customs.

Anyway I think you should know I found 87 to be the sweet spot for contrast also. I say this because I find contrast kind of hard to nail on LCD sets. It took me a while on my v5100 and I tried a few things and 87 kinda wowed me on this set. Then I came here and saw you hit 87 also. Im pretty sure at least for that setting its the sweet spot.

I also found like you (and was suprised by my setting but reassured by you again) that color is sweet spotted between 49 and 50. I ended up going with 49 as a hair less is a little better than a hair more for my taste. Eeither setting si not much deviation.

I am going to view my settings for a while today. Ill put up my first set of settings today or tomorrow probably.

Anyway still loving the set. This thing is impressing me alot. And I do not think there is a set on the market that can beat it either for overall image and then when you throw price in there. Man this thing is unbeatable.

Remember im coming off a 54g10 panny plasma so in some peoples opinion that should mean something

I dont think this set beat the plasma before the black rise. But there is no panny plasma that touches this set post rise. It isnt even close. (In case anyone is wondering)
Old 05-03-2010, 08:35 AM

I have read through this thread (probably a few times now ) and appreciate all of the feedback. It was enough to convince me to purchase an EX500 for myself.

I picked up a 46" EX501 (Costco) yesterday and set it up using two different sources; SD cable (no box, just directly connected to the display), and a very crappy DVD player via yellow/red/white A/V connectors. Now, I know these are probably the two lowest quality sources one can use, but I thought I'd post up my results and ask if I can expect better in the near future. I am in the process of moving, so this was all I had to try out. I am trying to acquire a PS3 (freakin' impossible to get!) and will be using a set-top box and HD programming when I get moved in to my new place.

Both the SD cable (480i) and crappy DVD player (+ crappy A/V connections) led to a very grainy feedback. I played around with some settings that I found in this thread and they definitely helped.

I just want to be sure I'm not going to get similar feedback from using a PS3 or HD programming (via HDMI). This is essentially my first LCD (coming from an older 23" Olevia LCD) and have fairly high expectations.

Anyways, I appreciate all of the responses here. Definitely making it a great place for beginners!
Old 05-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF52 View Post

I have read through this thread (probably a few times now ) and appreciate all of the feedback. It was enough to convince me to purchase an EX500 for myself.

I picked up a 46" EX501 (Costco) yesterday and set it up using two different sources; SD cable (no box, just directly connected to the display), and a very crappy DVD player via yellow/red/white A/V connectors. Now, I know these are probably the two lowest quality sources one can use, but I thought I'd post up my results and ask if I can expect better in the near future. I am in the process of moving, so this was all I had to try out. I am trying to acquire a PS3 (freakin' impossible to get!) and will be using a set-top box and HD programming when I get moved in to my new place.

Both the SD cable (480i) and crappy DVD player (+ crappy A/V connections) led to a very grainy feedback. I played around with some settings that I found in this thread and they definitely helped.

I just want to be sure I'm not going to get similar feedback from using a PS3 or HD programming (via HDMI). This is essentially my first LCD (coming from an older 23" Olevia LCD) and have fairly high expectations.

Anyways, I appreciate all of the responses here. Definitely making it a great place for beginners!

Those are VERY GRAINY feeds. Trust me. You will be blown away. Doesn't it have a built in HD tuner? Hook up some rabbit ears and try to get a solid reading on one of the major networks during an HD primetime feed. That will get your taste buds going. (Make sure your sharpness is at a reasonable setting..that can kill a clean picture,and add a lot of unwanted noise on top of everything else!)
Old 05-03-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser View Post

Those are VERY GRAINY feeds. Trust me. You will be blown away. Doesn't it have a built in HD tuner? Hook up some rabbit ears and try to get a solid reading on one of the major networks during an HD primetime feed. That will get your taste buds going. (Make sure your sharpness is at a reasonable setting..that can kill a clean picture,and add a lot of unwanted noise on top of everything else!)

Whew! Thanks for the reassurance. I figured that, but was just a bit unsure.

I'm actually not sure if it has a built-in HD tuner, but I should be set up in my new place soon, so hopefully I can get a better idea of what this TV has to offer - using better sources (PS3, HD tuner box).

As for the calibration settings - I clearly need to do more research on that, but for the immediate future, I'll just use what I have found in this thread. In the 3 (I believe) posted, all had sharpness in the lower 20%.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

Hawk. Ty. Tried the settings. I think my overall lighting I guess is just different. Its close but it didnt do it for me.

Well as we all know there will be some variance with every TV and room lighting has a great affect. If your pics are an indication you're dealing with a lot more ambient light than I have to deal with in my basement.

As for the contrast settings you like that match mine, Spears & Munsil makes it VERY easy to nail that setting on an LCD. Like you I have DVE and I'll never use it again after I got S&M.....I find it far easier and more accurate to use.

Glad you like the 60EX500. I completely agree with you views on it. When fed a good source it puts up very pleasing PQ and considering it's current price on Sonystyle at $2299 it has a superb PQ/dollar per inch ratio. I also thinks it's one of the nicest looking 2010 flat panels as well.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey serial, how about some more pictures?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 05-03-2010, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Glare during day comes out bad in pics Alot worse than it is in reality
Old 05-03-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF52 View Post

Whew! Thanks for the reassurance. I figured that, but was just a bit unsure.

I'm actually not sure if it has a built-in HD tuner, but I should be set up in my new place soon, so hopefully I can get a better idea of what this TV has to offer - using better sources (PS3, HD tuner box).

As for the calibration settings - I clearly need to do more research on that, but for the immediate future, I'll just use what I have found in this thread. In the 3 (I believe) posted, all had sharpness in the lower 20%.

trust me, once you see a blu-ray on this set you'll be blown away
Old 05-03-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:

trust me, once you see a blu-ray on this set you'll be blown away

Now, if only I could get my hands on a PS3 Sold out everywhere

Hopefully sometime in the next week or so. That might be a little 'glass to full' though.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:18 PM

So is it generally agreed upon, that the EX500 handles video gaming better than the Samsung C630?

Both TVs have similar specs and price but I've skimmed over the C630 owners' thread and there's a LOT of complaints about gaming performance and lag.

I can't find many complaints in this thread about gaming. Then again maybe some Sony owners are just being hush about it???

Your opinion? I'm looking at both TVs and will buy one next month so I'm trying to decide.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XciteMe83 View Post

So is it generally agreed upon, that the EX500 handles video gaming better than the Samsung C630?

Both TVs have similar specs and price but I've skimmed over the C630 owners' thread and there's a LOT of complaints about gaming performance and lag.

I can't find many complaints in this thread about gaming. Then again maybe some Sony owners are just being hush about it???

Your opinion? I'm looking at both TVs and will buy one next month so I'm trying to decide.

I'm sure I'm just regurgitating what you already have gathered but here's what I gathered;

Sony has better lag performance. The Samsungs seem to have used a random assortment of panels in the c-series. Both are pretty similar in PQ. Sony has a 3-year warranty (when purchased at Costco). I preferred the all black bezel of the Sony (again, a Costco model - EX501). The Samsung has better user menu/settings. The Samsung has DLNA/internet (not a big deal if you have a PS3 or equivalent). Samsungs seem to be suffering more frequently from issues like flash lighting and clouding.

^ Random, I know, but that's about all I can think of. Plus, for me, I have a Sony AVR and a PS3 on the way, so the whole Bravia sync was kind of appealing - though VERY low on my priority list.

I think the 3-year warranty is what sold me on the Sony - this was my first major LCD purchase and all my research revealed that they seem to all have lots of issues... the warranty makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keynote View Post

I wonder how the PQ on the EX500 compares to last year's XBR9???????

I second Keynote's question. I am also in the same boat. We currently have an XBR9 and I am wondering if I should buy the EX501 for that low price at Costco, or will I be marginally disappointed that the PQ won't live up to the XBR9's?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

My first set of settings will be delayed till to tonight or tomorrow.

I was running in custom and standard because of the added features advanced controls.

What I found out this morning it seems is that Cinema without any advanced controls is superior. I love what Im seeing in cinema mode. I just want to check it with the sun down lighting setting too.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:06 AM

I just got my 360 back that I let my nephew borrow. I decided to try out a tv calibration app which you can download for $2.50 rrom xbox live. For the price its really good. It lets you calibrate for 0-255(gaming) and 16-235(video). It also tests for dead pixels. I calibrated for both under different picture modes. I probably wont be watching any video off the 360 but if I do all I need to do is switch the scene from game to cinema. Since I dont like the ambient sensor and I'm tired of adjusting the backlight depending on lighting conditions I've settled at leaving it at 2 even though min is fine at night with the lights off.

0-255
picture: 71
brightness: 59

16-235
picture: 87
brightness: 53
Old 05-04-2010, 12:18 PM

I just did a full grayscale calibration with ColorHCFR and a Spyder 3 meter.

I came up with the following, almost perfect 6500k from 30 ire to 100 ire.

I have a 55ex500 with a Popcorn Hour C200 set to 0-255, source material 702 HD test patterns.

Backlight: 2
Picture : 98
Brightness: 49
Colour: 54
Temp: warm2
Gamma: -1
R Gain: -20
G Gain: -1
B Gain: -15
R Bias: +6
G Bias: 0
B Bias: -18
Old 05-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbusquet View Post

I just did a full grayscale calibration with ColorHCFR and a Spyder 3 meter.

I came up with the following, almost perfect 6500k from 30 ire to 100 ire.

I have a 55ex500 with a Popcorn Hour C200 set to 0-255, source material 702 HD test patterns.

Backlight: 2
Picture : 98
Brightness: 49
Colour: 54
Temp: warm2
Gamma: -1
R Gain: -20
G Gain: -1
B Gain: -15
R Bias: +6
G Bias: 0
B Bias: -18

This is great info! Thanks! Any chance you can post the charts from the cal?

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
Old 05-04-2010, 01:36 PM

I'm most likely going to purchase a 40EX500 next month. Quick question. I keep coming across two Panny plasma models that are cheaper than the EX500. Specifically the TC-P42U2 (roughly $100 less than I can find the cheapest EX500) and the TC-P42S2. Specs wise they are all very similar (aside from being LCD vs. Plasma). I prefer the look of the EX500 but obvious PQ is more important. Also I'll be using this primarily to watch movies in my bedroom (and also a ton of the World Cup next month).

I'd like to know what anyone with knowledge or experience with all three sets thinks how they compare PQ wise.

EDIT: I tried including a link of all three models on a comparison page from BB but this forum wouldn't let me include the shortened link.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairhh View Post

I'm most likely going to purchase a 40EX500 next month. Quick question. I keep coming across two Panny plasma models that are cheaper than the EX500. Specifically the TC-P42U2 (roughly $100 less than I can find the cheapest EX500) and the TC-P42S2. Specs wise they are all very similar (aside from being LCD vs. Plasma). I prefer the look of the EX500 but obvious PQ is more important. Also I'll be using this primarily to watch movies in my bedroom (and also a ton of the World Cup next month).

I'd like to know what anyone with knowledge or experience with all three sets thinks how they compare PQ wise.

EDIT: I tried including a link of all three models on a comparison page from BB but this forum wouldn't let me include the shortened link.

Avoid all Panasonic plasma sets for now, see the link in my sig, even the 2010 models do it.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Old 05-04-2010, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Avoid all Panasonic plasma sets for now, see the link in my sig, even the 2010 models do it.

This, Please do yourself a favor and do not not buy a panny plasma till 2011. Pen and I are coming from panny plasmas. The black level after 1000hrs will make you puke.

Black as light as the late michael jackson.

Tags
Sony Bravia 60 Inch Lcd Hdtv Kdl 60ex500 , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 52v5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread