Official KDL..EX500/501 Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 6195 Old 03-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Newbie
 
csc67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Two questions about the Sony EX500

1) Is the screen reflective?

2) How is the picture when viewing from an angle?

Thanks
csc67 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 6195 Old 03-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Member
 
disneyfun1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
screen is not reflective like plasma type tvs, its a matte finish on the screen. it is great from angles i think, a lot better than the rear projection mitsubishi it replaced. love it!
disneyfun1 is offline  
post #93 of 6195 Old 03-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Hi Def Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well looks like the info here verifies what I've noticed with latter model Sonys. They need the Picture and Warmth settings turned up from the factory settings to pull them out of a somewhat soft, dull, washed out look. Once you do that though, they really look nice and I still feel have the most accurate colors, esp skin tones.

Still like to see some feedback on input lag for the EX500 and EX700 models though, esp 32" or something close. I'd also love to hear any feedback on how the Bravia Engine 3 processing of the EX700s differs from the Bravia Engine 2 of the EX500s if anyone can offer such info. Thanks guys, keep the pipeline going.
Hi Def Fan is offline  
post #94 of 6195 Old 03-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Newbie
 
steve7410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off, NO flashlighting (which is when the corners exhibit a bright grayish coloring in dark scenes in dark rooms).

I had a KDL-40VE5 that I had for almost a month that had bad flashlighting and exchanged it for a KDL-46W5100 because I got it for less than what I had paid for the 40" VE5.

Both had horrible flashligting. The W5100 was actually worse.

I would say that the EX500 is 99% free of backlight problems, but I have never seen any LCD that was totally uniform. I have 3 others LCDs at home, a Sony KDL-52W3000, a Samsung LN40-A550 and 32" Sharp that I bought in 2007 (can't remember the model) that are pretty uniform as well. I also have the joy of staring at TVs all day at work and nit-pick at all of them.

The only time I ever noticed anything was in an almost completely black scene on Pirates of the Caribbean 2, and the other people I was watching it with couldn't see anything wrong, probably me just seeing things since the other 2 Sony's were sooo bad.

----------------------------

Comparing to the other 2 sets I had. After adjusting it to the calibration settings I found on CNET for the W5100 I would say that the EX500 has the best picture by far of the three even though it only has the Bravia engine 2 and the W5100 has a Bravia engine 3.

On the downside though I do miss the Bravia Widgets and Internet Video features from the W5100 but the Blu-Ray I just got (Sony BDP-S370) handles all of those features just fine.

Overall I really love this TV considering with the discount I got on the TV, I paid less than $800 for the unit.

--------------------------

As to answer for the Lag problem during gaming, when the Game mode is on, and all of the possible options for the TV to process any video turned off there is no visible lag and looks great with my XBOX 360.
steve7410 is offline  
post #95 of 6195 Old 03-04-2010, 05:44 AM
Senior Member
 
rwb1921's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=steve7410;18246836]
Comparing to the other 2 sets I had. After adjusting it to the calibration settings I found on CNET for the W5100 I would say that the EX500 has the best picture by far of the three even though it only has the Bravia engine 2 and the W5100 has a Bravia engine 3.

I will try the W5100 settings today when I get home on my 55EX501. I am curious now to see how they will look compared to my settings (done very unprofessionally by my old eyes). After hearing two good remarks about those settings it is worth a try until someone actually does a calibration on the EX500.
rwb1921 is offline  
post #96 of 6195 Old 03-04-2010, 06:08 AM
Member
 
The Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Def Fan View Post

I'd also love to hear any feedback on how the Bravia Engine 3 processing of the EX700s differs from the Bravia Engine 2 of the EX500s if anyone can offer such info. .


http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/bravia-lcd.../1237477952647
The Hawk is offline  
post #97 of 6195 Old 03-04-2010, 06:28 AM
Senior Member
 
jamesco411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know how the PQ (black levels / panel type (spva, auo?) compares to the ex400 series?
jamesco411 is offline  
post #98 of 6195 Old 03-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Newbie
 
StSimeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi There Long time reader first time poster lol

I picked up the EX500 a few days ago and am very happy with this set. And that's a hard thing to be after reading this forum. This forum can make you hate your set if you let it lol.

I have to say the black levels are much better than I expected and the pq is pretty good. I'm looking for some better settings to get the flesh tones a little brighter. I'm using teh cnet settings shown earlier in the thread which work pretty good it just looks a little pale.

I realize this is sony's lower end of the spectrum so I kept my expectations a little lower. But I was set on a 46" and wanted 1080p 120hz and I only had 1k to spend. So it fit the bill perfectly

My ps3/blu ray really make this set shine. (especially the disney animateds) Even the 360 looks good on it lol. The Wii looks good as well and the kids love the bigger screen.

The only gaming lag I noticed was in rock band and once I calibrated the controller it works great.

Other games I've tried are Motorstorm, gta4, tw07, bioshock, fable2, animal crossing and wii sports. All have ran great.

That's my first post

Thanks for reading
StSimeon is offline  
post #99 of 6195 Old 03-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Newbie
 
starsfan09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve7410 View Post

As to answer for the Lag problem during gaming, when the Game mode is on, and all of the possible options for the TV to process any video turned off there is no visible lag and looks great with my XBOX 360.

I did notice some lag while playing Halo 3 on my 360 with motionflow turned on, I turned it and cineflow (i think that's what it is called) off and still noticed a little lag but then I realized you could change the "Scene" mode to Game and that completely removed any lag.


I received my 46ex500 on Monday and have been very happy with it so far. This is my first larger LCD so I don't have a lot to compare it to but haven't found any problems yet.
starsfan09 is offline  
post #100 of 6195 Old 03-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Senior Member
 
vincevega44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve7410 View Post

First off, NO flashlighting (which is when the corners exhibit a bright grayish coloring in dark scenes in dark rooms).

I had a KDL-40VE5 that I had for almost a month that had bad flashlighting and exchanged it for a KDL-46W5100 because I got it for less than what I had paid for the 40" VE5.

Both had horrible flashligting. The W5100 was actually worse.

I would say that the EX500 is 99% free of backlight problems, but I have never seen any LCD that was totally uniform. I have 3 others LCDs at home, a Sony KDL-52W3000, a Samsung LN40-A550 and 32" Sharp that I bought in 2007 (can't remember the model) that are pretty uniform as well. I also have the joy of staring at TVs all day at work and nit-pick at all of them.

The only time I ever noticed anything was in an almost completely black scene on Pirates of the Caribbean 2, and the other people I was watching it with couldn't see anything wrong, probably me just seeing things since the other 2 Sony's were sooo bad.

----------------------------

Comparing to the other 2 sets I had. After adjusting it to the calibration settings I found on CNET for the W5100 I would say that the EX500 has the best picture by far of the three even though it only has the Bravia engine 2 and the W5100 has a Bravia engine 3.

On the downside though I do miss the Bravia Widgets and Internet Video features from the W5100 but the Blu-Ray I just got (Sony BDP-S370) handles all of those features just fine.

Overall I really love this TV considering with the discount I got on the TV, I paid less than $800 for the unit.

--------------------------

As to answer for the Lag problem during gaming, when the Game mode is on, and all of the possible options for the TV to process any video turned off there is no visible lag and looks great with my XBOX 360.

How are the black levels on this compared to the W5100? According CNET, the NX800 blacks are less than the W5100.
vincevega44 is offline  
post #101 of 6195 Old 03-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Member
 
john44a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Could someone post there actual settings for this set , thanks in advanced.
john44a is offline  
post #102 of 6195 Old 03-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Newbie
 
steve7410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincevega44 View Post

How are the black levels on this compared to the W5100? According CNET, the NX800 blacks are less than the W5100.

The black levels I think are better on the EX500 than the W5100, especially since the W5100 has horrible flashligting problems, and this set does not. Also the W5100 is rated to have a 100,000:1 dynamic contrast, and the EX500 is rated to have a 150,000:1 dynamic contrast

Also the coloring once calibrated is much better, I believe its because Sony uses a better backlight in this model compared to last years W5100 (which has a CCFL) or VE5 (which uses a HCFL).

---------------------------------------------

I am using theses settings, for Blu-Ray movies in a completely dark room they are slightly modified from CNET's W5100 settings I found online.


-- Home (Menu) --> Settings --> Picture
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 1 (I changed to 4 instead of 1 while watching Blu-Ray, for Cable I turn it up to 5)
Picture: 92
Brightness: 52
Color: 46
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm2 (for Blu-Ray I use Warm2, for cable I use Warm1)
Sharpness: Min
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
MotionFlow: Off
CineMotion: Auto 1
**Ambient Sensor: Off -- (This setting was under ECO on the 2009 Sony W5100, but is under Picture settings on the EX500)


Advanced Settings menu:
Black Corrector: Off
Advanced C.E.: Off
Gamma: 1
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off

White Balance menu:
R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: -1
B-Gain: -4
R-Bias: -3
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: -1

--- Screen menu
Wide Mode: Full
Auto Wide: Off
4:3 Default: Off [grayed out]
Auto Display Area: Off
Display Area: Full Pixel
Screen Position: [grayed out]
Vertical Size: 0 [grayed out]

--Preferences, Eco menu
Power Saving: Off
Light Senor: Off ** (This setting was under ECO on the 2009 Sony W5100, but is under Picture settings on the EX500)

-----------------------------------

p.s. The screen is non-reflective, also another thing the TV has a rotating base, which is very sturdy and useful
steve7410 is offline  
post #103 of 6195 Old 03-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Senior Member
 
jrobitaille23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been all over the place with my settings. First I was happy with the Tweak TV XBR9 settings but found too much red push. So then I tried the CNET W5100 settings and liked them but it's too bright and washed out after viewing them for a couple of days. Last night I sat with my lady and went through them all and it turns out that the XBR9 settings were really really good....AFTER I changed temperature to Warm 1. That made all the difference. No more red push but very good whites, colors and blacks. I think these are very pleasing settings. Hopefully someone gets this professionally calibrated and we can all try those as well. For now I suggest giving these a try and please let me know what you think

Picture Modes
Picture Mode : Custom
Color Temperature : Warm 1
Aspect Ratio : Full
Picture Settings
Backlight : 3
Picture (Contrast) : 52
Brightness : 50
Color : 50
Hue : G2
Color Temperature : Warm 1
Sharpness : Min
MPEG Noise Reduction : Off
MotionFlow : Off
Cinemotion : Auto 1
Advanced Settings
Black Corrector : Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer : Off
Gamma : -1
Auto Light Limiter : Off
Clear White : Off
Wide Color : Standard
White Balance : Factory Default
jrobitaille23 is offline  
post #104 of 6195 Old 03-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Senior Member
 
jrobitaille23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks to BB return policy I have owned in the last six months the following TV and after all said and done I chose this one so it should say something about how good the PQ is on this set:

Samsung 32b6000 Led/edge lit LCD-awful
Panasonic 50S1 Plasma-great value but worried about rising blacks
Samsung 50b860 Plasma-best PQ of all but slight buzzing and white line on letter box
Sony 32XBR9 LCD-underwhelmed and wanted bigger picture
jrobitaille23 is offline  
post #105 of 6195 Old 03-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Newbie
 
te172r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why does all video appear like reality tv? It looks as if everything was shot with a home movie camera. Is there any way to fix this? Other than that I am very happy with this model. It has exceeded my expectations.
te172r is offline  
post #106 of 6195 Old 03-05-2010, 05:41 AM
Senior Member
 
rwb1921's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by te172r View Post

Why does all video appear like reality tv? It looks as if everything was shot with a home movie camera. Is there any way to fix this? Other than that I am very happy with this model. It has exceeded my expectations.

Try turning off MotionFlow in the settings. It may be set to Standard or High. Some people like it and some don't.
rwb1921 is offline  
post #107 of 6195 Old 03-05-2010, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gmarceau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 46
This is interesting that people are saying the blacks are deeper than the '09 model V5100. I have a 40V5100 and it's black level is excellent. It gets amazingly deep, better than almost all plasma.

I wish there was a static contrast ratio listing on Sony's site. The V5100's 5000:1 CR was a giveaway that it was using AUO's amva3 panel, which is excellent when it comes to black level and off axis viewing.

I'm wondering if Sony is using a different type of ccfl backlight or they've got things working correctly finally with their diffuser.

I'll take a ccfl over edge lit any day of the week right now, so this is the high end model for ccfl this year.

So, the concensus from those who've seen both is: Better blacks, better picture quality, better color?

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
gmarceau is offline  
post #108 of 6195 Old 03-05-2010, 05:48 AM
Senior Member
 
rwb1921's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

This is interesting that people are saying the blacks are deeper than the '09 model V5100. I have a 40V5100 and it's black level is excellent. It gets amazingly deep, better than almost all plasma.

I wish there was a static contrast ratio listing on Sony's site. The V5100's 5000:1 CR was a giveaway that it was using AUO's amva3 panel, which is excellent when it comes to black level and off axis viewing.

I'm wondering if Sony is using a different type of ccfl backlight or they've got things working correctly finally with their diffuser.

I'll take a ccfl over edge lit any day of the week right now, so this is the high end model for ccfl this year.

So, the concensus from those who've seen both is: Better blacks, better picture quality, better color?

I have had both, and in my opinion the blacks are better with the EX500/501. Color and picture also are better but not by much. I had applied the firmware fix for the V5100 and it helped a lot. It made it well worth keeping for picture quality but I returned mine for the HDMI sound issues.

I am very happy with the 55EX501 I have now. Just a great picture at a great price. Swivel stand is also very nice for my setup.
rwb1921 is offline  
post #109 of 6195 Old 03-05-2010, 06:02 AM
Senior Member
 
rwb1921's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
These are my settings so far for my 55EX501 (no software used). This is for normal cable tv/standard DVD viewing. For Blu-ray I do not use MotionFlow or Cinemotion usually. For Sports I may use MotionFlow at High (usually standard). I also only watch HD programming on cable, no SD tv.

Scene: General
Mode: Standard

Backlight :3
Picture: 90
Brightness: 50
Color: 57
Hue: 0
Color Temp Warm: 1
Sharpness: Min
NR: off
MPEG NR: off
Motion Flow: Standard
Cinemotion: Auto 2

Adv. Settings:
Adv. Contrast Enh: Low
Black Corrector: Low
Gamma: +1
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Low

White Balance
Everything: 0 (Default)

Ambient Sensor: Off

I keep questioning my Brightness level as I want the blacks to be really black but not at the expense of detail. Right now 50 seems to be best. I have tried comparing dark scenes (like in space, etc) and it seems that to go much higher than 50 the blacks start to get a little washed out. The deep black that the set has is very good for this type of TV.

I still like Warm 1 over warm 2 for the whites. It seems to me that Warm 2 makes the white appear too brownish? I have not tried to adjust the White Balance.

Hopefully down the road someone will post a calibrated settings. It will be interesting to see. Most of the settings here on the forum are not too far off in general. I am happy with my picture as it stands but will continue to play with them I am sure.
rwb1921 is offline  
post #110 of 6195 Old 03-05-2010, 06:15 AM
Member
 
disneyfun1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i notice most of you use warm 1 or 2 for settings. is it just me or what, i seem to like the cool setting, or do yo have to get used to warm. i really just have mine set on vivid from sony and seem to enjoy that. what will the other settings do? seems like it would be too red or dark??
disneyfun1 is offline  
post #111 of 6195 Old 03-05-2010, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gmarceau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb1921 View Post

I have had both, and in my opinion the blacks are better with the EX500/501. Color and picture also are better but not by much. I had applied the firmware fix for the V5100 and it helped a lot. It made it well worth keeping for picture quality but I returned mine for the HDMI sound issues.

I am very happy with the 55EX501 I have now. Just a great picture at a great price. Swivel stand is also very nice for my setup.

This is excellent to hear. I hope they keep using ccfl for a while. It only helps drop the price on these sets, since it's older technology.

Anyone have a magnifying lense to get a look at the pixel structure? Perhaps the ex500s are using uv2a, as well.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
gmarceau is offline  
post #112 of 6195 Old 03-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Senior Member
 
rwb1921's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfun1 View Post

i notice most of you use warm 1 or 2 for settings. is it just me or what, i seem to like the cool setting, or do yo have to get used to warm. i really just have mine set on vivid from sony and seem to enjoy that. what will the other settings do? seems like it would be too red or dark??

I think it is just personal preference. Vivid or Cool just seem to bright or harsh to my eyes. Does not mean it is bad though. Just have to set it how is best for you. A lot of people use Warm 2, I like Warm 1 for some reason. It just agrees more with my eyes. Seems each one gives out a little more brownish/red color. Just tones down the overall picture going from Vivid-Cool-Warm1-Warm2.
rwb1921 is offline  
post #113 of 6195 Old 03-05-2010, 06:47 AM
Senior Member
 
rwb1921's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

This is excellent to hear. I hope they keep using ccfl for a while. It only helps drop the price on these sets, since it's older technology.

Anyone have a magnifying lense to get a look at the pixel structure? Perhaps the ex500s are using uv2a, as well.

I am not sure what to look for. I did try and it appears to be just a blue-red-green pattern in lines. Looks like little squares in a line.

You are right, the CCFL is fine for my eyes. I have no complaints and the price makes it worth it. I am sure down the road the newer technologies will come down in price.
rwb1921 is offline  
post #114 of 6195 Old 03-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Member
 
PredatorWH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Neutral gives you the best whites. Warm settings makes white look pinkish while the cool setting makes white look blueish. Setting the tv to warm is supposed to get you colours close to 6500 K which is what you want.
PredatorWH is offline  
post #115 of 6195 Old 03-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Newbie
 
WSFrazier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just picked this set up yesterday. So far loving it. No flashlighting. With game mode I see no lag at all.

I tried using the CNET settings, but the picture looks dull and washed out. Maybe it's just my untrained eye. I just tweaked around to what looks good to the woman and I. Will wait to see if someone gets one calibrated and try those settings.
WSFrazier is offline  
post #116 of 6195 Old 03-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Senior Member
 
jamesco411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm very surprised people are saying the blacks are "plasma-deep" and deeper than the v5100. If memory serves correct, I remember reading a "flat panel shootout" with various plasmas and LCDs, and many were pointing out that the V-series had deeper/equal blacks to that of the other high end plasmas (note: high-end plasmas) in both light and totally dark-room environments.

If these are even deeper blacks, I may have second thoughts about my new 2010 720p Samsung plasma that I'm waiting to be delivered. If the colors/blacks are washed out on the new plasma in the daytime, and I get one with the notorious Samsung-plasma-buzz, I may have to return it and fork over some more cash for this Sony LCD...

EDIT: Anyone know how the EX400 blacks compare to the EX500? The Sony site lists 140k dynamic contrast vs. 150k contrast for the 400 vs. 500..but I'm wondering if this is even noticeable...or if the 400 is also darker than the v5100...
jamesco411 is offline  
post #117 of 6195 Old 03-05-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gmarceau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb1921 View Post

I am not sure what to look for. I did try and it appears to be just a blue-red-green pattern in lines. Looks like little squares in a line.

You are right, the CCFL is fine for my eyes. I have no complaints and the price makes it worth it. I am sure down the road the newer technologies will come down in price.

The ex700 thread shows you how the pixels look different. uv2a has these block/square look with no lines going through it to minimize light leakage.

If you google Sharp uv2a, there are usually links with pictures of Sharp's old Advanced Super View panel pixels vs. their new uv2a pixels.

s-pva and mva have a different look/shape, as well.

I like that they've added warm2 and black corrector to these sets. If they've gotten the full screen dimming out of Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE) set above low, then these sets will get BLACK!!! ACE really ups the ANSI contrast.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
gmarceau is offline  
post #118 of 6195 Old 03-05-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gmarceau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 View Post

I'm very surprised people are saying the blacks are "plasma-deep" and deeper than the v5100. If memory serves correct, I remember reading a "flat panel shootout" with various plasmas and LCDs, and many were pointing out that the V-series had deeper/equal blacks to that of the other high end plasmas (note: high-end plasmas) in both light and totally dark-room environments.

If these are even deeper blacks, I may have second thoughts about my new 2010 720p Samsung plasma that I'm waiting to be delivered. If the colors/blacks are washed out on the new plasma in the daytime, and I get one with the notorious Samsung-plasma-buzz, I may have to return it and fork over some more cash for this Sony LCD...

EDIT: Anyone know how the EX400 blacks compare to the EX500? The Sony site lists 140k dynamic contrast vs. 150k contrast for the 400 vs. 500..but I'm wondering if this is even noticeable...or if the 400 is also darker than the v5100...

The S series, last years ex400, was using an amva panel from AUO, but this year, they could be using something different, maybe they've upped it to amva3, which the V5100 had last year, while the ex500 gets the new uv2a panel.

Since the quoted dynamic contrast ratio numbers are so close this year, I wouldn't know, but the ex500 allows you to fine tune the picture to a greater level than what was possible with last years model.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
gmarceau is offline  
post #119 of 6195 Old 03-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Hi Def Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSFrazier View Post

Just picked this set up yesterday. So far loving it. No flashlighting. With game mode I see no lag at all.

Which model/size? Can you measure the input lag and upload some pics to verify?
Hi Def Fan is offline  
post #120 of 6195 Old 03-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Newbie
 
daybowbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a 46v5100 a couple weeks ago and loved the picture but hated the flashlighting. I returned it and got the 46ex500. Better picture and no flashlighting at all.

As a photographer and cinematographer I am very happy with it and its probably one of the best tvs available right now in the 46inch range.
daybowbow is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia 60 Inch Lcd Hdtv Kdl 60ex500 , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 52v5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread - 52v5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off