Official KDL..EX500/501 Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 6195 Old 05-28-2010, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have posted new and what I believe to be final settings.

The grayscale came out great all delta e between 20ire and 100 below 3.
Good primary color accuracy as per Cnets scale (which is thier best rating)
Full shadow details Nothing lost.

The only area of controversy will be the color setting. At 50 the color Red is correct and Green slightly under saturated and Blue more under saturated. With the color at 51 The Red is Slightly over saturated and Green is proper and blue is slightly under saturated.

This is known as Red Push. This pretty normal as mmost all sets produced have this. The good news is there isn't much of it. The bad news is all you can do is choose between 50 and 51. Some sets have controls to counter this usually in the service menu. I am not goiing to the service menu at this point. I dont think that sony offers controls for rgb colors in the menu anyhow.

I dont mind the little extra red and I set to 51. IMO 50 is an overall slightly under saturated look.

The set is truly great, I love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 6195 Old 05-28-2010, 09:17 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnotes View Post

I find that changing the colour temp to a warmer setting helps with eye fatigue, but that might just be me!

As I mentioned earlier, I've always kept the temp at "warm" on past sets, but "neutral" seems to look more natural than the warm settings (which is creating too much yellow over everything) and those settings have never caused me eye fatigue.

Deep Rising looked very good with the current settings (and that's a very low-lit movie with lots of shadows), and I was in ZOOM mode to try to fill up more of the screen. The rain looked great. Very happy so far.
post #1263 of 6195 Old 05-28-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryogenix View Post

As I mentioned earlier, I've always kept the temp at "warm" on past sets, but "neutral" seems to look more natural than the warm settings (which is creating too much yellow over everything) and those settings have never caused me eye fatigue.

Deep Rising looked very good with the current settings (and that's a very low-lit movie with lots of shadows), and I was in ZOOM mode to try to fill up more of the screen. The rain looked great. Very happy so far.

In warm2 the set is low on blue in darker areas. This would cause a yellowish cast. Warm2 is also very warm running as low as 5500 default. However this is only as default and is easily remedied with the white balance controls in the user menu.

Warm1 is to blue and is not very correctable. Again I hadn't tried neutral due to the inability to dial in warm1 as easily as warm2.
post #1264 of 6195 Old 05-28-2010, 02:27 PM

wondering if anyone knows....

Now that I have an HDTV, I think it would be fun to see what home video looks like in HD.

I have a digital camera that takes HD video, Samsung TL220 - and when looking into it, I guess the TL225 has an optional HDMI cable you can get, but not for mine

I'm guessing the format won't be recognized by my KDL-46EX500 if I put the file on a USB thingy, since it's not a Sony camera and uses some format that "takes half the space of MP4" or something (sorry I don't know much about HD video format, if anything) - is there any way for me to use this camera to view HD video on my TV?

How does one use the usb slot to view things on this TV? anyone do this?

if this won't work, any recommendations for HD video? Preferably a digital camera with HD video capabilities - and easy to use with this TV. Looking at the new Sony's that now take SD and have that cool sweep panarama mode.
post #1265 of 6195 Old 05-28-2010, 02:41 PM

My son has a 46EX400. Are the settings fairly similar between the EX400 and the EX500?
post #1266 of 6195 Old 05-28-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheidis View Post

How does one use the usb slot to view things on this TV? anyone do this?

I plugged in a flashdrive that had some PC pics and vid clips on it, then hit MENU on the remote, then selected VIDEO (or photo) and they played/showed just fine. Sadly, the video files appear so small on the set that playing them that way is pointless. Maybe there's a way to make them show bigger. Down-scaling, perhaps??
post #1267 of 6195 Old 05-28-2010, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 46
serialmike, how is the gamma curve? Does the set manage a flat gamma?
Could playing around with the tint possibly help with the color?
Thanks

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #1268 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

serialmike, how is the gamma curve? Does the set manage a flat gamma?
Could playing around with the tint possibly help with the color?
Thanks

It is not flat. I am not sure that matters exactly though. I did however figure out why some are getting eyestrain at night in dark. It is ACE. I turned it off.

So I am apparently still tweaking a few things though. Ill have to check gamma curve again with ace completely off.

Also, there really isnt anythign wrong with color. Its ten times more correct than the mighty g10 panny plasma. And is ALOT better than most TV's are without going service menu. Tint adjusts secondary colors not primary.
post #1269 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 04:47 AM

@sm (?),

Ok.
I've gotten the Sony 55" EX500 for awhile now (3 days'ish).

I've tried a lot of calibration settings and all, but the whole lot is confusing me of which is the "best". Although, is there a "best"? Or is it the whole based on personal preference again?

To me, yea, the warm2 is too yellow'ish. The neutral looks more natural. Cool just looks off IMO ..

With "Vivid" selected, I like how it is set out. Who else does? How can you replicate it with "Custom"? The blacks seem to be much better, the "custom" of which I have now, no matter what I change, if I remember, its a bit off color or too less contrast or something, it's not real black. Other hand, vivid "shines" everything ... Any clue?

Cheers,
& also, if ACE does not put any eyestrain, is it fine to leave it on? Or is gamma a better "alternate" concept?
post #1270 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsdanny View Post

@sm (?),

Ok.
I've gotten the Sony 55" EX500 for awhile now (3 days'ish).

I've tried a lot of calibration settings and all, but the whole lot is confusing me of which is the "best". Although, is there a "best"? Or is it the whole based on personal preference again?

To me, yea, the warm2 is too yellow'ish. The neutral looks more natural. Cool just looks off IMO ..

With "Vivid" selected, I like how it is set out. Who else does? How can you replicate it with "Custom"? The blacks seem to be much better, the "custom" of which I have now, no matter what I change, if I remember, its a bit off color or too less contrast or something, it's not real black. Other hand, vivid "shines" everything ... Any clue?

Cheers,
& also, if ACE does not put any eyestrain, is it fine to leave it on? Or is gamma a better "alternate" concept?

As always what pleases you most is whats best. ACE raises the whites to bright at night is what I was finding. Best way to put it is it seemed unatural on the overall image.

Vivid is no matter how you put it Horrid next to what is intended image. Some people like it, who am I to say . Vivid has horrid black level due to raised backlight.

I am currently looking at gamma +1 with ace off. I did post them this morning.
post #1271 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

As always what pleases you most is whats best. ACE raises the whites to bright at night is what I was finding. Best way to put it is it seemed unatural on the overall image.

Vivid is no matter how you put it Horrid next to what is intended image. Some people like it, who am I to say . Vivid has horrid black level due to raised backlight.

I am currently looking at gamma +1 with ace off. I did post them this morning.

Thanks for the reply,

Although, with Vivid, for me it seems as if it gives more "detail" and "depth", along with much better shadows (the black are much deep and I sort of like it), although, it is sometimes just "too much vivid", not sure how to explain it. The standard even looked better than the "Custom" settings (which are the ones I followed on your calibrated settings, although I'll assume there's not much of a difference between the 55" and 60" screens). : |
post #1272 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsdanny View Post

Thanks for the reply,

Although, with Vivid, for me it seems as if it gives more "detail" and "depth", along with much better shadows (the black are much deep and I sort of like it), although, it is sometimes just "too much vivid", not sure how to explain it. The standard even looked better than the "Custom" settings (which are the ones I followed on your calibrated settings, although I'll assume there's not much of a difference between the 55" and 60" screens). : |

I had looked at standard. When I first ggot the set I liked it alot. Then I got to calibrating it and saw that color was less accurate.

Also with the same settings in the menu as custom it gets brighter as if gamma was boosted of contrast. I dont know exactly why it doesnt seem to show in charts.

Custom is more accurate. Again doenst mean you cant like standard better

There are so many settings it takes a while to chart them all with the meter. With ace on BC off BC on ACE off etc etc. then after looking over the results you have to view the set in day and at night.

My goal is one set day night leave it and watch. With as accurate a picture I can get with the lowest black level I can muster. I am willing to sacrafice some accuracy if it is a great difference in black level.
post #1273 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 06:47 AM

I've never had ACE on, yet I still had major eye strain. In my case, it was nearly maxxing out Picture that caused my issues. Since Backlight was also at Min, I might conclude that the "depressed" brightness also may have contributed to the "heavy eye syndrome," since the eye has to struggle more to find the details in the imaging.

Still playing around with it. I've decreased Picture even further to 47, changed brightness, gamma, went back to warm1, turned off Black Corrector, etc, and T2 looked amazing.

BTW, it's my intention to create two different custom settings (one for night, one for day) and believe I can simply modify the "Standard" mode (as my second custom job) and it will save those settings after each change. Not sure if they reset to default once the TV is powered off and then on again. By the time you read this, I may have already figured it out...

New settings:

Picture Mode: custom
Backlight: 8
Picture: 47
Brightness: 40
Color: 51
Hue: 0
Color Temp: warm1
Sharpness: min
Noise Reduction: low
MPEG Noise Reduction: off
MotionFlow: off
CineMotion: off
Ambient Sensor: off

Advanced Settings

Adv. contrast enhancer: off
Black Corrector: off
Gamma: +1
Clear White: off
Live Color: low

White Balance:
R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: -1
B-Gain -4
R-Bias: 3
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0
post #1274 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've never had ACE on, yet I still had major eye strain. In my case, it was nearly maxxing out Picture that caused my issues. Since Backlight was also at Min, I might conclude that the "depressed" brightness also may have contributed to the "heavy eye syndrome," since the eye has to struggle more to find the details in the imaging.

Still playing around with it. I've decreased Picture even further to 47 and T2 looked amazing. I also changed brightness, gamma, went back to warm1, turned off Black Corrector, etc.

BTW, it's my intention to create two different custom settings (one for night, one for day) and believe I can simply modify the "Standard" mode (as my second custom job) and it will save those settings after each change. Not sure if they reset to default once the TV is powered off and then on again. By the time you read this, I may have already figured it out...

New settings:

Picture Mode: custom
Backlight: 8
Picture: 46
Brightness: 40
Color: 51
Hue: 0
Color Temp: warm1
Sharpness: min
Noise Reduction: low
MPEG Noise Reduction: off
MotionFlow: off
CineMotion: off
Ambient Sensor: off

Advanced Settings

Adv. contrast enhancer: off
Black Corrector: off
Gamma: +1
Clear White: off
Live Color: low

White Balance:
R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: -1
B-Gain -4
R-Bias: 3
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0

I believe your eyestrain may have been coming from gamma needing to be +1. Im still working on some things but Gamma +1 alleviates alot of strain. that mcuh is for sure.

The gamma setting is hard to jusdge as the line is not level. Its low below 50 high above 50 ire and avgs 2.2.

I think it being low below 50 was causing eyestrain too
post #1275 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I plugged in a flashdrive that had some PC pics and vid clips on it, then hit MENU on the remote, then selected VIDEO (or photo) and they played/showed just fine. Sadly, the video files appear so small on the set that playing them that way is pointless. Maybe there's a way to make them show bigger. Down-scaling, perhaps??

If you click "Tools" on your remote when you're playing a clip, select the "Playback Method" option. It gives you a submenu with a "Zoom" option.

But the Zoom has been greyed out with every video file I've given it. (mostly MPEG2 DVD rips of Anime eps) And the video plays in a squashed 4x3 mode instead of 16x9. And I read that a NA/US firmware update isn't available.
post #1276 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 08:39 AM

Excuse my ignorance but could someone define what ACE and BC mean?
post #1277 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:

I believe your eyestrain may have been coming from gamma needing to be +1. Im still working on some things but Gamma +1 alleviates alot of strain. that mcuh is for sure.

This is the first time I've messed with the Gamma setting. My eye strain was 100% resolved by turning down Picture and turning up Backlight.

I truly have no idea what gamma and white balance do. I'm just freeze-framing during odd-looking scenes, making an adjustment here and there, then seeing what happens. Trial and error. So far, it seems like I'm making progress and not just spinning my wheels. Course, I haven't tossed Aliens back in to see if the blowing rain/fog is any better.

Believe it or not, I'm still leaning towards getting the 701. It seems whenever I buy something others have had major problems with (or hate), I never have those problems and love the thing. 701 was my first choice, but one bad review changed my mind and steered me toward the 501. Three more days to decide.
post #1278 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis54 View Post

Excuse my ignorance but could someone define what ACE and BC mean?

ACE = Advanced Contrast Enhancer, BC = Black Corrector.
post #1279 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:

The gamma setting is hard to jusdge as the line is not level. Its low below 50 high above 50 ire and avgs 2.2.

I think it being low below 50 was causing eyestrain too

I have no clue what any of that means.

English!! Doesn't anyone here speak English??
post #1280 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 09:22 AM

Does anyone know if the EX500 supports 1:1 pixel mapping for PC connected through HDMI?

I have an EX402 now but can't get a full screen image from my PC through HDMI.

According to the 'Pixel mapping Wiki' I should disable overscan but can't find the option in the menu. Does EX5 have the option?
post #1281 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 10:34 AM

Hello, can someone tell me please what version of software is installed from factory on this TV set. Thanks
post #1282 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 10:52 AM

Those last settings I posted don't work well at all for cave scenes. Horrible...
post #1283 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Mine says 1.506 - SM1.001.W00A

Thanks Dude!!!
post #1284 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage72 View Post

Does anyone know if the EX500 supports 1:1 pixel mapping for PC connected through HDMI?

Yes. It defaults to Full Pixel when my laptop's connected via HDMI. (With the TiVo, BD and DVD, you can select Full Pixel, Normal or -1) It won't give you the other options with a PC HDMI feed.
post #1285 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I am going to cal them Monday, I was late in calling them today and Logitech said it would take some time so Monday would be more preferable!

I don't really think it will help much aside from getting the bluray to work properly on a cold boot up of it and the xBox360. It's the damn going from one component to the next when each is off until the Harmony turns it on in the Activity.

I tried some troubleshooting last night and found even if my xBox is turned on before I actually change the input on the 92 to the HDMI port it is plugged into and since the 92 is the hub, the xBox isn't noticing a monitor hooked up to it yet I am guessing, and once I change the input to the xBox the same thing...NOT SUPPORTED!

Also the thing with the EX500 not remembering that the bluray is set at Full Pixel and the Directv set at Normal...this too is a royal pain.

For whatever it is worth...I didn't have these problems with the last two Sony sets..the 52V5100 and the 52EX700...just the 55EX500!

It is bad since that is the reason I got the Harmony, to use macros! I just find that even though I manuall turn on the xBox before I switch to it from the DVR and then change inputs it happens...I don't think any delay time settings could help that one.

I have noticed the only way to get it working right aside from the EX500 not remembering the Display info, I have to have everything on and then I can switch from one component to the next but this is not realistic...

There has to be some sort of communication problem between the EX500 and the 92TXH...for whatever, if anyone could shed more light or should I call Sony and now I am not sure which TV they could offer since I have had the 52EX700 and now this one!

Arghhhhhhh!

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
post #1286 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post

Yes. It defaults to Full Pixel when my laptop's connected via HDMI. (With the TiVo, BD and DVD, you can select Full Pixel, Normal or -1) It won't give you the other options with a PC HDMI feed.

Thanks. Under what menu is this option?

I can't find it on my EX402. Maybe I don't have it.
post #1287 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 12:43 PM

Hi all from a fresh new forum member and a future buyer of a 55EX500 (based mostly on the recommendations & reviews in this thread - thanks all!).

Having read through this entire thread I see that there have been availability problems with larger sizes of the EX500, and I can also attest to that since the set is apparently totally unavailable in my backwater part of Europe, specifically in Croatia. The two official Sony dealers here each have just one unit each which they use as an in store demo unit, so that's obviously out of the question.

They have no idea when any new shipments may be coming in - it could be as soon as June or as late as September (ouch). Sony support has as of yesterday still been unable to confirm any specific availability date for the 55EX500, so I'm basically stuck in the dark.

How's the situation in your region? I see that in the recent 2-3 weeks nobody reported any further news of rumored recalls, prolonged unavailability or anything such - does this mean that the sets are getting back in stock?

Have there been availability problems in your area (where?) which have been resolved/restocked? I'd like to know if the situation is getting any better, particularly in Europe in general or southeast Europe specifically.

Thanks.
post #1288 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have no clue what any of that means.

English!! Doesn't anyone here speak English??

Ideal gamma is 2.2 for each step from black to white in a 10 or 20 step pattern. 0 is black 10 20 , light , lighter, 100 white.

Basically the set tracks at around 2.3 to 2.4 gamma level at darker end of the spectrum. 20 30 ire...black areas. Then It lightens to 2.0 to 2.1 on the 80 90 100 end of the scale.

The avg gamma from 10 to 90 ends up being about 2.26 ish gamma. When gamma is rising to 2.3 to 2.4 in dark end detail is lost and when it is rising to 2.0 in light end the screen is brighter. This combo is giving eyestrain.

Raising the gamma to +1 moves the gamma to around 2.2 for the darker areas. The resulting avg over the whole scale ends up going from around 2.26 up to about 2.16. Which still has an avg of near 2.2 which is fine but it greatly releives the eyestrain and enables better shadow detail (closer to proper actually)

Close to english as I can do.

Trying something new. I redid the charts and found that with gamma+1 and ACe on low The colors were near perfect levels at 49 for red green and blue. Have to see how darker room viewing goes tonight.

Edit-I think that Cinema mode (which I like alot but prefer to get custom correct due to adjustable white balance) Has Gamma at +1. I know it has ace low. I will continue to test this this eve.
post #1289 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage72 View Post

Thanks. Under what menu is this option?

I can't find it on my EX402. Maybe I don't have it.

Try this.

Quote:
To view PC contents, set Screen Format to Wide and Display Area to Full Pixel.

post #1290 of 6195 Old 05-29-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:

Ideal gamma is 2.2 for each step from black to white in a 10 or 20 step pattern. 0 is black 10 20 , light , lighter, 100 white.

Basically the set tracks at around 2.3 to 2.4 gamma level at darker end of the spectrum. 20 30 ire...black areas. Then It lightens to 2.0 to 2.1 on the 80 90 100 end of the scale.

The avg gamma from 10 to 90 ends up being about 2.26 ish gamma. When gamma is rising to 2.3 to 2.4 in dark end detail is lost and when it is rising to 2.0 in light end the screen is brighter. This combo is giving eyestrain.

Raising the gamma to +1 moves the gamma to around 2.2 for the darker areas. The resulting avg over the whole scale ends up going from around 2.26 up to about 2.16. Which still has an avg of near 2.2 which is fine but it greatly releives the eyestrain and enables better shadow detail (closer to proper actually)

Close to english as I can do.

Trying something new. I redid the charts and found that with gamma+1 and ACe on low The colors were near perfect levels at 49 for red green and blue. Have to see how darker room viewing goes tonight.

Edit-I think that Cinema mode (which I like alot but prefer to get custom correct due to adjustable white balance) Has Gamma at +1. I know it has ace low. I will continue to test this this eve.

I used your White Balance settings and set ACE to high, and turned up Picture to 61 and things look a bit better with I, Robot and T2, and no eye strain yet. Still have to see how the dark scenes appear in The Cave, Deep Rising and Virus using these new settings. I still have Backlight at 8.

What is ire?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia 60 Inch Lcd Hdtv Kdl 60ex500 , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 52v5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread - 52v5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page