B-Bias : +2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 02:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still looking for any information on judder on the EX500 series. If anyone who owns one, especially the KDLEX500 46", I would greatly apriciate any replies on the judder issue.

The EX700 LEDs seem to be plagued by judder from all the reviews and postings I read up on. I don't see as many mentions of judder on the EX500 series, but I would still like to hear from some of you who own one if you have or have not noticed judder.

I am about to buy one in the next few days, and the judder situation is whats holding me back at the moment. Again my biggest concerns is how frequent judder shows up, and if judder is more likely to appear from say watching a Blue-Ray, or will judder happen while simply watching HD TV(I have comcasat). I do play games also, but not very often, 360 here and there.

I also would like to know if judder issues could ever be fixed by a firmware update or if it all comes down to the engine on the tv, in this case the Bravia 2.

I just have not been able to get much input to make me feel confident to purchase one of these sets, I just don't want to get it home and find out it is a judder fest for everything I watch.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHDjunkie View Post

Sorry, I'm with Stu on this one.

Noticed your from New Orleans...I am sorry to see what the oil spill is doing to the coast as well as the pressure it is putting on the fish industry...my heart goes out to you New Orleanians!

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfb View Post

Still looking for any information on judder on the EX500 series. If anyone who owns one, especially the KDLEX500 46", I would greatly apriciate any replies on the judder issue.

The EX700 LEDs seem to be plagued by judder from all the reviews and postings I read up on. I don't see as many mentions of judder on the EX500 series, but I would still like to hear from some of you who own one if you have or have not noticed judder.

I am about to buy one in the next few days, and the judder situation is whats holding me back at the moment. Again my biggest concerns is how frequent judder shows up, and if judder is more likely to appear from say watching a Blue-Ray, or will judder happen while simply watching HD TV(I have comcasat). I do play games also, but not very often, 360 here and there.

I also would like to know if judder issues could ever be fixed by a firmware update or if it all comes down to the engine on the tv, in this case the Bravia 2.

I just have not been able to get much input to make me feel confident to purchase one of these sets, I just don't want to get it home and find out it is a judder fest for everything I watch.

Thanks!

I've had this TV since mid-March. I have not noticed any judder or any other picture oddities.

I have noticed, though, if you have a ticker on your TV (I have Dish) that it gets weird with Cinemotion on, so I leave that off. Problem solved.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Cryo, I've proven Mike wrong several times as have others, and he has never taken it the wrong way, he just sees it as a learning experiance and moves on with new knowledge in hand. (on this site there is always someone more experienced than you, so it is best to try and learn from them instead of running around insulting them)

I can tell you that the LED LCD will be worse and you won't be happy, especially if you want better viewing angles as LED lighting has a much more narrow wavelength than CCFL (resulting in even more pronounced viewing angle drop off) That narrow wavelength also makes clouding and flashlights more visible. Everyone here is trying to help you but all you seem to want to do is insult them, not the best way to make friends on here.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I can tell you that the LED LCD will be worse and you won't be happy, especially if you want better viewing angles as LED lighting has a much more narrow wavelength than CCFL (resulting in even more pronounced viewing angle drop off)

Hi guys, I'm interested in the EX500 55" and have been watching this thread for weeks now..

Regarding the off-center viewing, at what stage do u start to see a great variance in the picture quality? and/or is it only noticeable at extreme angles where one would never sit anyway?

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika75 View Post

Hi guys, I'm interested in the EX500 55" and have been watching this thread for weeks now..

Regarding the off-center viewing, at what stage do u start to see a great variance in the picture quality? and/or is it only noticeable at extreme angles where one would never sit anyway?

Thanks.

For the 60 which may be different that the smaller models as the 60 is a different screen I see about 25-30 degree the set holds the image very tightly. after that there is sharp noticeable drop off. I prefer this as everone in a 60ish degree arc of center gets excellent picture and that for the most part is optimum viewing seating at least for my house. I personally would never sit off center more than that anyway nor would I set a room up like that. This is a little different than other sets Ive seen. Usually other LCD sets like my v5100 the set had immediate but very minute drop off in image quality from center with a big drop off at 30 degrees.

However the set is still very "watchable" probably 300 percent brighter than my old sxrd projection from a steep angle like my dining room table.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:49 AM

The stand that was made for the 60XBR1 was about 17" high which put the center of the TV at about eye level when seated. Has anybody experimented with the optimum height the 60EX500 needs to be off the floor? Based on my old setup (and the measurements I compared) if I use the surface bracket with 60EX500 the stand needs to be about 19" high.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realjazz2001 View Post

The stand that was made for the 60XBR1 was about 17" high which put the center of the TV at about eye level when seated. Has anybody experimented with the optimum height the 60EX500 needs to be off the floor? Based on my old setup (and the measurements I compared) if I use the surface bracket with 60EX500 the stand needs to be about 19" high.

The bottom of mine is 29 inches from the floor hung on a stand. My eyes are a few inches below center and the set is hung tilted down by a 1/4 of an inch. In other words the top of the set is 7 inches from the back of the stand and the bottom is 6 and 3/4 inches from the back of the stand. I can sti on the floor and not lose really any image quality and I can nearly stand up before losing image quality.

The sset isnt what I would call overly sensative up and down for an LCD. Conversly on my v5100 I felt a half inch tilt or small angle change up and down made a difference.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

I will google Judder but in the meantime,it would love to help you and tell you if my 2 week old X500 does this or not if I knew what it was...like I mentionned a few times,the only problem I have with the set is the fog it creates sometimes,from certain scenes,with neon lights for example,or sunshine peering through windows,being too bright and bleeding slightly on what is in front of them...maybe that`s Judder?

A good example of the neon problems(lighting) is episodes of Stargate Universe,when they are on the ship.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

(sarc)

I may be wrong... but I think you may be worried about the amount of judder on the Sony EX500 sets?

If so, don't fret. That's what Motionflow is for.

It covers the judder situation, judder issues, game judder, blu ray judder, comcast judder, judder plague (EX700 owners know this one all too well) and the infamous JUDDER FEST!!!! ( I went in 96... rock on)

Now, If I'm reading you incorrectly, you know, like not picking up what you're layin down..... and judder isn't what you're all about... please accept my apologies.

(/sarc)

Jim
Old 06-02-2010, 04:37 PM

my replacement 500 is on its way but i only got 3 moths warranty and was assured that it is a brand new tv, is there a way to tell if a tv is new? any of you that got this as a replacement did you only get a 3 month warranty or a regular 1 year?
Old 06-02-2010, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmasina View Post

my replacement 500 is on its way but i only got 3 moths warranty and was assured that it is a brand new tv, is there a way to tell if a tv is new? any of you that got this as a replacement did you only get a 3 month warranty or a regular 1 year?

Once you see the box and how the tv is packed, you will know if it's new. Also, when you first turn it on, it will go through a series of options and that's usually a tell-tale.

On the box it will say one year warranty and I assume once you register the set at Sony's website, you will get the one year warranty.

Then again, I may be wrong and everything will be contrary to what I said.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realjazz2001 View Post

This is another thing that bugs me about the whole optical block going bad on my xs955...I was convinced to buy the stand MADE ONLY for that tv. Forgot how much it was but I think around 4-500. It stands 17" tall as well and is too low for the EX500 imo. My eyes would be too high. I just bought a stand that sits 23" high and appoximate that it will sit at the same level as the xs955. I'm still waiting on my second EX500 cause the first one was obviously dropped by someone.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 PM

I just ordered the 55ex500 and should be able to pick it up in the next few days. I went for this one after looking at several panels in many, many places. The reason I jumped on this set was the picture quality. Really, it looked better than any other set in the price range. It doesn't have the 'feature' set that some of the new sets have, but I believe the PQ is worth it.

Onto the inquiries:
WHile this set doesn't offer Netflix, etc. access, it does have an ethernet port.

1) What can one accomplish with the RJ45 port on this set?

2) Also, I read a Sony Bluray review that a user hooked up his laptop to a HDMI port and could stream Hulu and the like. Can this be done with the 500EX?

3) Is the streaming technology advanced enough for the typical user to be satisfied with the quality of an internet video stream?

4) Is it advisable to get a BDP that supports Online access?

5) Would there be any disadvantage to (if possible) connect a PC with a bluray player to the TV rather than buy a bluray player?

6) I think it's possible to attach a USB HD to the USB port to listen to mp3s, etc., but can one also watch HD or other format movies via this method?

I've read about 1/2 of this thread. I'm not even really sure what questions to ask, given that this is my first HD TV. Any info or links that give detail as to what one can accomplish beyond turning it on and watching will be appreciated.

Hope all of these questions aren't off-putting. Thanks for your comments.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 06-02-2010, 08:31 PM

Liked: 12
Thanks to serialmike, I took a few ques from you on the EX500 settings. I have made my own little tweaks as well. Anyhow, we watched ToyStory 2 on Blu tonight and it was jaw dropping. I couldn't find a single flaw. At times, the picture almost seemed to emerge from the screen with colors that I had never seen before.
Kudos to Sony for a job well done and for be honorable by optioning the exchange at no fuss.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob14567 View Post

I just ordered the 55ex500 and should be able to pick it up in the next few days. I went for this one after looking at several panels in many, many places. The reason I jumped on this set was the picture quality. Really, it looked better than any other set in the price range. It doesn't have the 'feature' set that some of the new sets have, but I believe the PQ is worth it.

Onto the inquiries:
WHile this set doesn't offer Netflix, etc. access, it does have an ethernet port.

1) What can one accomplish with the RJ45 port on this set?

2) Also, I read a Sony Bluray review that a user hooked up his laptop to a HDMI port and could stream Hulu and the like. Can this be done with the 500EX?

3) Is the streaming technology advanced enough for the typical user to be satisfied with the quality of an internet video stream?

4) Is it advisable to get a BDP that supports Online access?

5) Would there be any disadvantage to (if possible) connect a PC with a bluray player to the TV rather than buy a bluray player?

6) I think it's possible to attach a USB HD to the USB port to listen to mp3s, etc., but can one also watch HD or other format movies via this method?

I've read about 1/2 of this thread. I'm not even really sure what questions to ask, given that this is my first HD TV. Any info or links that give detail as to what one can accomplish beyond turning it on and watching will be appreciated.

Hope all of these questions aren't off-putting. Thanks for your comments.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob, other more learned folks will surely answer your concerns, but I can speak to one of them. You don't need direct Internet access built into the set if you get the right Blu-Ray player. I have a Sony BDP-S470 ($179 on sale) and it has the required Ethernet port. It handles the streaming, Netflix access, etc etc. I am very happy with it and am purchasing a second one for the bedroom.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your set...

Mike
Old 06-03-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmasina View Post

My replacement came with a 1 year warranty as well...call them up and demand 1 year.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob14567 View Post

I just ordered the 55ex500 and should be able to pick it up in the next few days.

Onto the inquiries:

1) What can one accomplish with the RJ45 port on this set? Nothing, since it doesn't have one.

2) Also, I read a Sony Bluray review that a user hooked up his laptop to a HDMI port and could stream Hulu and the like. Can this be done with the 500EX? You can connect a PC or laptop and see whatever you see on the laptop.

Not in my opinion.

4) Is it advisable to get a BDP that supports Online access? With this model TV, yes. Or a BDP and a separate streaming box.

USB video formats are limited to MPEG1, MPEG2.

Thanks,
Bob

Answers in bold.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I think a media box for arouund 120 dollars + will solve moost of your issues.

A media box can be hooked to your lappy and to your tv and anything you see on your lappy can be put on your tv magically

Im pretty close to pullin the trigger on one of these.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 480
several posts deleted

Please limit your posts to technical issues without attacking other members

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Old 06-03-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

several posts deleted

Please limit your posts to technical issues without attacking other members

Sorry about that Mark, I just got a little testy at the insults we were all getting...won't happen again!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Got some updated news from the Sony Engineers...they had found a bug in the HDMI board on the 55EX500 which is "most likely" causing the problem with my EX and my HT receiver...they said they should have a firmware update for it within a week!

COOL BEANS!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBerger View Post

Got some updated news from the Sony Engineers...they had found a bug in the HDMI board on the 55EX500 which is "most likely" causing the problem with my EX and my HT receiver...they said they should have a firmware update for it within a week!

COOL BEANS!

Nice! Now thats how its supposed to work. Props to sony when you get your firmware update, not before
Old 06-03-2010, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

Nice! Now thats how its supposed to work. Props to sony when you get your firmware update, not before

Okay, okay...your right, I will just sit and hope for the best! How's that Mike?

I do hope that is the issue...another Forum member whom is also very knowledgable... CT_Wiebe had mentioned he thought it sounded like they didn't keep the HDMI port on at all times for green purposes or that it might be defective! I really like the PQ and the blacks on the 55EX500 and want to keep it!

Now I am stuck in the attic today in the horrid heat to run some speaker wire to the old speakers I have set up in the family room...my wife wants "her" system now hooked up...I am shvitzing over here!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, okay...your right, I will just sit and hope for the best! How's that Mike?

I do hope that is the issue...another Forum member whom is also very knowledgable... CT_Wiebe had mentioned he thought it sounded like they didn't keep the HDMI port on at all times for green purposes or that it might be defective! I really like the PQ and the blacks on the 55EX500!

I rented Alice Bluray last night. Watched it for a family night. First one on the set. Dam it was fantastic looking. I might buy it just for how good that bluray looked. Probably keep an eye out at blockbuster for it for like 12 bucks used.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:

I rented Alice Bluray last night. Watched it for a family night. First one on the set. Dam it was fantastic looking. I might buy it just for how good that bluray looked. Probably keep an eye out at blockbuster for it for like 12 bucks used.

Mike you can get it brand new, this week, for $9.99 plus tax.

There is a $10 idsney coupon, supposed to be DVD/BD combo pack, but Best Buy is scanning off the single BD disc on sale for $19.99 = $9.99 plus tax.

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com...e-coupon_print

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post

Mike you can get it brand new, this week, for $9.99 plus tax.

There is a $10 idsney coupon, supposed to be DVD/BD combo pack, but Best Buy is scanning off the single BD disc on sale for $19.99 = $9.99 plus tax.

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com...e-coupon_print

Oh cool, Thanks Ds
Old 06-03-2010, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which movie is that? I got a message from Amazon that they are having a big DVD/BluRay sale going on!

Old 06-03-2010, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:

Which movie is that? I got a message from Amazon that they are having a big DVD/BluRay sale going on!

That explains why 75% of the blu-rays in my Amazon box went up in price, they are having a sale.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.

Tags
Sony Bravia 60 Inch Lcd Hdtv Kdl 60ex500 , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 52v5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread