post #1771 of 6195 Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike28 View Post

Like I said it is noticable during sudden picture changes, especially from bright to dark. It is well represented here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlNQZD7PTHs Screen is divided into dark top area and brighter bottom part. It is the same when watching some bright tv show or any other bright video content, it ends, and suddenly mostly dark picture appears. In this situations ACE is working pretty badly, that's why I have it turned off at all times.

Maybe it's working better on 60'' model, I don't know but I think all EX500s should have the same specifications.

WoW no way. Watched the video. Mine is nothing like that. I watch espn and tbs hd channels especially for this. When they do commercials and the 4:3 bars go up on my older v5100 and panny plasma the bars would dim much like that.

This 60ex500 does not do that at all. From birght commercial ala flo progressive ads to dark black commercial there is no change whatsoever on the logo names on the sides. It is like a rock I tell you , like a rock

That sucks that the 60 is different. But with that said. Having the bars and images do that is standard operation procedure on many sets nowadays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 6195 Old 07-06-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I have new mind blowing (for me ) settings. They are so different and so much better I am posting in a new post here and my link we go to this post.

These settings provide the following statistics.

As always enjoy guys.

Eye-One LT Meter with HCFR. DVE, THX and Custom patterns

Picture Mode- Custom
Backlight-1
Picture-90
Brightness- 50
Color- 50
Hue- 0
Color Temp- Warm2
Sharpness- 0
Noise Reduction- Off
MPG Noise Red- Off
MotionFlow- Standard
Cinemotion- Auto2
Ambient Sensor- Off

Advanced Settings
Adv Contrast Enhancer-Low
Black Corrector- OFF
Gamma- 0
Clear White- Off
Live Color- Off

White Balance-
RGain -8
GGain -2
BGain 0
RBias 0
GBias -1
BBias +8

Picture size-Full Pixel
Power Save-Off

Game Mode for Xbox Ps3 gaming. (Now metered and fully tested with patterns)

Picture Mode- Graphics
Backlight-1
Picture- 91
Brightness- 50
Color- 50
Hue- 0
Color Temp- Warm1
Sharpness- 1
Noise Reduction- Off
MPG Noise Red- Off
MotionFlow- Off
Cinemotion- Off
Ambient Sensor- Off
post #1773 of 6195 Old 07-06-2010, 03:12 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

I have new mind blowing (for me ) settings. They are so different and so much better I am posting in a new post here and my link we go to this post.

.008 Black level and thats no typo or misprint.
30 ftl brightness
2.18 avg gamma (finally flat line rather than high on dark side low on brightside)
Color accuracy improved Was already excellent but its even tighter.
d65 white balance

These settings will give you POP and lots of it but with accuracy. The set has a very CRT look to it now. I watch the set daay and night in a bright room during the day and a low lit room at night and the settings are fantastic for both.

As always enjoy guys.

Picture Mode- Custom
Backlight-Min
Picture- Max
Brightness- 48
Color- 50
Hue- 0
Color Temp- Warm2
Sharpness- 1
Noise Reduction- Off
MPG Noise Red- Off
MotionFlow- Standard
Cinemotion- Off
Ambient Sensor- Off

Advanced Settings
Adv Contrast Enhancer- Low
Black Corrector- Off
Gamma- +1
Clear White- Off
Live Color- Off

White Balance-
RGain -3
GGain -2
BGain 0
RBias -1
GBias -2
BBias +7

Picture size-Full Pixel

My 55ex500 should be showing up this week. Really wish I had the 60 now. I will try those settings mike and go from there. Is there anyway you can snap a pic for us? All of your talk makes me drool.
post #1774 of 6195 Old 07-06-2010, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfootgeek View Post

My 55ex500 should be showing up this week. Really wish I had the 60 now. I will try those settings mike and go from there. Is there anyway you can snap a pic for us? All of your talk makes me drool.

there are pics of the set from when I first got it in the thread. Snapping pics doesnt do anything to show what its image quality looks like.
post #1775 of 6195 Old 07-06-2010, 03:27 PM

Would these settings be suitable for the ex400?
post #1776 of 6195 Old 07-06-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:

there are pics of the set from when I first got it in the thread. Snapping pics doesnt do anything to show what its image quality looks like.

I've been pretty happy with my settings - KDL-55HX701, mostly dark room. Posted here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post18860397

but I find that setting my Backlight to 3 or lower makes the screen just to dark to watch. Our brightness and gamma are in the same range. I find this curious. Most seem to try to get the BL as low as possible. Is the higher setting somehow detrimental to the set? I know some have mentioned eyestrain, but I've experienced nothing like that, and PQ is fantastic. Is there any reason why the higher BL should be of concern?

Thanks,
Bob
post #1777 of 6195 Old 07-06-2010, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob14567 View Post

I've been pretty happy with my settings - KDL-55HX701, mostly dark room. Posted here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post18860397

but I find that setting my Backlight to 3 or lower makes the screen just to dark to watch. Our brightness and gamma are in the same range. I find this curious. Most seem to try to get the BL as low as possible. Is the higher setting somehow detrimental to the set? I know some have mentioned eyestrain, but I've experienced nothing like that, and PQ is fantastic. Is there any reason why the higher BL should be of concern?

Thanks,
Bob

Each notch higher significantly raises black level. The dark gloss screen means you are going to have to raise the backlight a bit higher than my set to get the same brightness out of it. Though the tinted screen will lower the black level a little.

If I were to raise the backlight one notch to 1 I would jump from black level of .008 to around .012 or .013. Another notch to 2 and I would be around .020

Just to be clear I do have a meter and these settings are very accurate.
post #1778 of 6195 Old 07-06-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Each notch higher significantly raises black level. The dark gloss screen means you are going to have to raise the backlight a bit higher than my set to get the same brightness out of it. Though the tinted screen will lower the black level a little.

If I were to raise the backlight one notch to 1 I would jump from black level of .008 to around .012 or .013. Another notch to 2 and I would be around .020

Just to be clear I do have a meter and these settings are very accurate.

Thank you for your comments. Perhaps my eyes aren't trained (surely not...), but I see no problem with the blacks here. As long as there are no consequences to the set, and my untrained eyes are satisfied, I'm content with my settings. Thanks for the clarification.

Bob
post #1779 of 6195 Old 07-06-2010, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for your comments. Perhaps my eyes aren't trained (surely not...), but I see no problem with the blacks here. As long as there are no consequences to the set, and my untrained eyes are satisfied, I'm content with my settings. Thanks for the clarification.

Bob

post #1780 of 6195 Old 07-06-2010, 08:27 PM

mike do you use these settings for tv programming or do u use it for blu ray movies also
post #1781 of 6195 Old 07-06-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:

Then it is source or your connections or settings. The ex500 series is supurb for motion. There is no difference in the look of the image on the ex500 to a plasma as far as motion is concerned.

I know, I had a g10 side by side for a little while checking them out.

Currently using a Sony S350 and all the blu-rays I viewed so far has the judder. When it's totally off I don't see any.

I went to BB and also viewed the 55Ex500 on the wall and I still see the judder.

I had a chance to play with the settings on a Samsung LN55C630K1F that is comparable to my Ex500 and it's smooth as butter imho even has a slider to adjust the motion.

XBL GTÂ vFLOODv
post #1782 of 6195 Old 07-07-2010, 02:03 AM

Any hardcore gamers here? Would love to hear your impressions about input lag.
post #1783 of 6195 Old 07-07-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needanewbewbtube View Post

Any hardcore gamers here? Would love to hear your impressions about input lag.

COD all day.. i went straight from a crt to a 46ex501 and didnt notice any lag at all whether game mode is on or off. If there is any....i never notice it
post #1784 of 6195 Old 07-07-2010, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injected Sin View Post

Currently using a Sony S350 and all the blu-rays I viewed so far has the judder. When it's totally off I don't see any.

I went to BB and also viewed the 55Ex500 on the wall and I still see the judder.

I had a chance to play with the settings on a Samsung LN55C630K1F that is comparable to my Ex500 and it's smooth as butter imho even has a slider to adjust the motion.

Dont know what to tell you. If you like the ultra smooth nausiating look that the samsung puts off in the store turn motionflow to high. The ex500 set looks as smooth as a plasma for motion. The only thing you could possibly see is slight motion blur but I doubt it because side by side to a plasma this set looks no different. but really unless the set is defective there is nothing wrong with these sets and the motion on them is fantastic.
post #1785 of 6195 Old 07-07-2010, 04:23 AM

Putting the motion on high is crazy, every movement is judder. I am beginning to fear my EX500 is faulty.

I rather enjoy the "soap opera" look. But as most of you here don't care for it and look at it a negative. I see it as a poor man's 3D it actually makes the images have depth.

XBL GTÂ vFLOODv
post #1786 of 6195 Old 07-07-2010, 04:33 AM

Haven't posted here in a long time. I'm interested in this set, but want to be 100% sure of one thing:

Is the auto-dimming "feature" gone in this set? I remember last year, all Bravia2 engine sets had it, and it could not be turned off, even if ACE, etc. were set to off.

So in this 55EX500 set, if I turn off ACE and the Auto Dimmer, am I too assume correctly that no auto-dimming will occur? The one where it would dim automatically in a dark scene, etc. I first noticed it last year with the DVE IRE pattern.

Bogdan
post #1787 of 6195 Old 07-07-2010, 05:02 AM

@Bogdan
In EX500 everything is working as it supposed to That is, if you turn off ACE and automatic lighting detector (or whatever it's called ) and all energy saving features, there won't be any screen dimming
post #1788 of 6195 Old 07-07-2010, 05:17 AM

As some of you might've read, I was slightly dissapointed by difficulties in proper calibration of my 40EX500. Yesterday I was messing with the settings again, and noticed that lowering picture (contrast) from 95 to 80 and below actually improves overall image quality. So many less artifacts are visible, not to mention, screen is now much more eye-friendly On high contrast I was experiencing eye-fatigue very often after just 1hr of watching or so. Now it's much more pleasent.
post #1789 of 6195 Old 07-07-2010, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injected Sin View Post

Putting the motion on high is crazy, every movement is judder. I am beginning to fear my EX500 is faulty.

I rather enjoy the "soap opera" look. But as most of you here don't care for it and look at it a negative. I see it as a poor man's 3D it actually makes the images have depth.

I am thinking it might be. Something is wrong. You are the only person to complain of this
post #1790 of 6195 Old 07-07-2010, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Bob

I believe the following has been stated several times in this thread, but it may be worth repeating here: Let's all remember that SerialMike's calibration settings are for a 60EX500, which uses a different brand panel than the rest of the EX500 line-up. His settings are specific to this panel, and more importantly are specific to his viewing environment. I would caution anyone from assuming that his settings would apply to any of the other EX500 size displays. They may be a good starting point, but I believe there might be enough of a difference in panels that may not make them applicable to other sizes. Even if you also have a 60EX500, it is suggested that you start with his settings and adjust to your liking from there.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #1791 of 6195 Old 07-07-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:

@Bogdan
In EX500 everything is working as it supposed to That is, if you turn off ACE and automatic lighting detector (or whatever it's called ) and all energy saving features, there won't be any screen dimming

I am pretty sure you're the one that mentioned the screen dimming with ACE turned on. For me, I find it pretty nice on "Low". I also have the Sony EX500 (BE3), and I do not notice any issues with it (along with the bright/dark on top/bottom like shown on the YouTube video).

Also, does anyone know about the scene modes? i.e., Cinema, Sports, etc? So, I'm assuming on default it's set at "Auto" (as I think there's no "Custom" option), hence, if I change all the settings accordingly (i.e., mike's setting), and I change the Scene to "Cinema", will all the settings be the same and can the settings be adjusted at all? If not all, which?

Cheers
post #1792 of 6195 Old 07-07-2010, 06:07 AM

Also, is it ever possible to notice the difference visually whilst changing the White Balance settings? It's really hard to justify the difference, unless I suppose you have two different sets of settings (with different white balance settings) and then switch between the two ... but otherwise, I suppose you cannot see it very visually, can you?

And Mike28, since you also have the 55EX500, try my settings and see how they go (they're posted on page 57). Although, I'm assuming yours is BE2 compared to mine which is BE3, although I'm skeptical there's any significant difference between the two, but tell me how it goes.
post #1793 of 6195 Old 07-07-2010, 06:29 AM

@itsdanny

I have 40EX500, not 55EX500 I have a BE3 model, I didn't even know there are EX500s with previous generation bravia engine. If so, why is that? I will definetly try your calibration, especially white balance, since it's the only setting I'm most confused about properly calibrating it without colorimeter (others say it's impossible). I've learned that gain means control of color contrast and bias is for setting color brightness. In that case I suppose it would be good to lower all bias and gains by a few numbers, just to make the colors look more natural and less plasticky. Your picture setting is too high for me (I have it on 82, which makes the image look more natural and less fatiguing for an eye). I also have neutral color temperature, which is a bit cold by default so I bumbed color to 68 to compensate it

ACE. It's working pretty well I agree, but there are many moments when it's noticable, and I don't like it. You have it on with baklight set to 4, which kinda makes sense (especially at night). Besides, I've discovered ACE (even on low) makes skin tone a bit oversaturated - try it yourself by swithing from low to off on some TV news channel with people talking, and you'll see what I'm talking about. So I have ACE turned off at all times, and backlight at 3.
post #1794 of 6195 Old 07-07-2010, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@itsdanny

I have 40EX500, not 55EX500 I have a BE3 model, I didn't even know there are EX500s with previous generation bravia engine. If so, why is that? I will definetly try your calibration, especially white balance, since it's the only setting I'm most confused about on how to properly calibrate it without colorimeter (others say it's impossible). I've learned that gain means control of color contrast and bias is for setting color brightness. In that case I suppose it would be good to lower all bias and gains by a few numbers, just to make the colors look more natural and less plasticky. Your picture setting is too high for me (I have it on 82, which makes the image look more natural and less fatiguing for an eye). I also have neutral color temperature, which is a bit cold by default so I bumbed color to 68 to compensate it

ACE. It's working pretty well I agree, but there are many moments when it's noticable, and I don't like it. Besides, I've discovered ACE (even on low) makes skin tone a bit oversaturated - try it yourself by swithing from low to off on some TV news channel with people talking, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

For the third time white balance controls the balance of RGB in the greyscale only. The colors Black and white and all the grey in between are made from balanceing r,g, and b. When they are all balanced at 100 percent for each color for each shade in each step from black to white you get d65 white balance or industry standard. It does not control the color saturations of r, g , or b in any way. Trying to adjust your colors by using those only serves to make the display farther from accurate. The biases control the darker side of the scale on the from 50 percent gray to black and the gains control from 50 percent gray to white. Though the gains and biases do effect each other.

It cannot be calibrated properly by eye. By eye all you con do is find what appeases you. Your guess at how accurate it looks is as close to accurate as turning them all to minimum.

the reason you two have bravia3 is you are in europe. US sets use bravia2. The only thing bravia3 does is add internet stuff. The bravia engine itself is about converting non hd stuff to hd and the internet stuff. The difference in the 2 vs 3 again internet.
post #1795 of 6195 Old 07-07-2010, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Also, someone should point out that models over seas, like the ones with BE3, will be different, and possibility use different panels, then the US models that have BE2 and mostly (except for the 60in) use Samsung panels

ALOT of people dont grasp this concept that overseas models arent identical to US models in every way, most of the time they are VERY different

Movieguy
post #1796 of 6195 Old 07-07-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:

.008 Black level and thats no typo or misprint.
30 ftl brightness
2.18 avg gamma (finally flat line rather than high on dark side low on brightside)
Color accuracy improved Was already excellent but its even tighter.
d65 white balance

These settings will give you POP and lots of it but with accuracy. The set has a very CRT look to it now. I watch the set daay and night in a bright room during the day and a low lit room at night and the settings are fantastic for both.

As always enjoy guys.

Picture Mode- Custom
Backlight-Min
Picture- Max
Brightness- 48
Color- 50
Hue- 0
Color Temp- Warm2
Sharpness- 1
Noise Reduction- Off
MPG Noise Red- Off
MotionFlow- Standard
Cinemotion- Off
Ambient Sensor- Off

Advanced Settings
Adv Contrast Enhancer- Low
Black Corrector- Off
Gamma- +1
Clear White- Off
Live Color- Off

White Balance-
RGain -3
GGain -2
BGain 0
RBias -1
GBias -2
BBias +7

Picture size-Full Pixel

Could you explain the Full Pixel setting under Screen Options?

On my 60ex500 the only options that come up are: +1, Normal and -1. I'm confused. Thanks.
post #1797 of 6195 Old 07-07-2010, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieguy163201 View Post

Also, someone should point out that models over seas, like the ones with BE3, will be different, and possibility use different panels, then the US models that have BE2 and mostly (except for the 60in) use Samsung panels

ALOT of people dont grasp this concept that overseas models arent identical to US models in every way, most of the time they are VERY different

Not on these. they use the same panels. 55 and down are samsung. 60 are sharp. The only difference for these sets are that the europe sets have internet capability.
post #1798 of 6195 Old 07-07-2010, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realjazz2001 View Post

Could you explain the Full Pixel setting under Screen Options?

On my 60ex500 the only options that come up are: +1, Normal and -1. I'm confused. Thanks.

The options presented to you are the options presented when the set is not being fed a high definition signal.
post #1799 of 6195 Old 07-07-2010, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not on these. they use the same panels. 55 and down are samsung. 60 are sharp. The only difference for these sets are that the europe sets have internet capability.

serialmike, they also do 100Hz instead of 120....power is obvious different, connections/mainboards will be different (SCART).....believe me, there is alot more different then you previously thought, so its not out of the realm of possibility that different panels are used as well, after all over seas they make a 37in set, and that cant be samsung

Quote:

The options presented to you are the options presented when the set is not being fed a high definition signal.

Full Pixel will only show up on 1080i/p content/feed, not 720p HD feed

Movieguy
post #1800 of 6195 Old 07-07-2010, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieguy163201 View Post

serialmike, they also do 100Hz instead of 120....power is obvious different, connections/mainboards will be different (SCART).....believe me, there is alot more different then you previously thought, so its not out of the realm of possibility that different panels are used as well, after all over seas they make a 37in set, and that cant be samsung

Full Pixel will only show up on 1080i/p content/feed, not 720p HD feed

720 pff who considers that hd Oh wait DirecTV does LOL
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia 60 Inch Lcd Hdtv Kdl 60ex500 , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 52v5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page