Official KDL..EX500/501 Thread - Page 66 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1951 of 6195 Old 07-11-2010, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello, 2nd request
I’ve upgraded to firmware 1.52 and now I’m unable to find any menu settings to set the date and time, OK. where is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 6195 Old 07-11-2010, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
this is a greaat weekend for tweaking. the wife and kids are away So many things to test.
post #1953 of 6195 Old 07-11-2010, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

this is a greaat weekend for tweaking. the wife and kids are away So many things to test.

You busy little beaver!

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
post #1954 of 6195 Old 07-11-2010, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apart from SerialMike's recommendation of the 60EX500, have any other reviews been published? I haven't been able to find much on this tv other than what has been discussed in this thread (which I've read and skimmed).
post #1955 of 6195 Old 07-12-2010, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweaker254 View Post

Sony 55EX500 manufactured May 2010 vs 52EX700 vs Panasonic plasma TH42PZ85U (not Neo PDP)
3 weeks ago I bought the EX700 and tried my best to appreciate the LED TV and to a degree I did. It's a very fine set given the excellent uniformity, sharpness and SD cable picture quality, however as reported by Cnet, home theater magazine etc the bluish cast in darker scenes can't be corrected. Talked to Sony tech manager and he said to return the set.
In my crazy mood I thought I would try a Samsung instead. Got the new UN55C5000 LED.
Go home, set it up, turn it on and I thought I need a bucket to vomit, the clouding and flash lighting was so bad I couldn't believe they would sell this TV set to anybody, but a blind person. I'm and old guy and I've seen a lot of bad sets, but this one was bad.
I'm not saying Samsung makes lousy TV however the issue with clouding and flash lighting seems to be much more frequent on Samsung than Sony.
Thank you God, for people (geeks) like us, who bitch and complain and maybe just maybe pushing the manufactures to better quality TV's right out of the box. Yes, I know you can hire a guy for $300 to tweak your TV, but my question is why do you have to? You don't buy a new car, furniture, computer etc and then hire someone to make it right.
Anyway, back to the store and got the 55EX500 and what a difference absolutely no clouding or flash lighting. If I take my 42PZ85U Panasonic plasma as 100% uniformity then this TV would get 90% plus.
For the comparisons I use default Cinema mode:
SD cable quality: given you have to enlarge the picture from 42 to 55 about the same on all three TV's, good but not HD.
SD DVD: using LG DVD player at 480p, letting the TV do the 1080p up conversion,
Panasonic 100%, Sony EX500 95% and EX700 95%. Panasonic seems to be the best but again it is a much smaller screen.
HD 1080p blue-ray using Sony S3600 BD picture mode standard, YCbCr 4:4:4, deep color 12 bit, 1080/24p: I use HD basic calibration disk, AVSforum test patterns, movies Pandorum, Pitch black, theRuins. Not exactly reference quality, but that's my point, see how the TV handles darker movies in a pitch black room.
Panasonic: Movie like reproduction, but lacking the sharpness, boldness, pop of LCD TV meaning it's a softer, natural looking picture.
Sony EX700: Here we have a dilemma where the picture is sharp, bold and pop but has a darker bluish tinge in darker parts of the movie. This is the only part why I returned the TV. No amount of tweaking could get it out.
Sony EX500: default cinema excellent. Sharp, vibrant no bluish tinge -none however if you set the back light to Min or ambient sensor on, you get the red push, that's why I see some of the people adjusted the white balance in B-bias to +7 to compensate but then you have too much blue in the darker scenes. As I said the picture on cinema default is excellent just a little too glaring in a dark room.
At the end, IMO the EX500 is the best for value, out of the box picture quality and no bluish tinge. Is it perfect, hell no, none of the TV's are I don't care how much you'll pay, but it is a good TV nevertheless.

OK, now one on you gurus can help me out. I've upgraded the firmware to 1.52, all OK but I can't find any menu setting for time and date? What happened to it?

Very nice review. I also agree with you about Samsung

Regards,
Boky
post #1956 of 6195 Old 07-12-2010, 07:13 AM

HDTVtest.co.uk has a nice review of the 40EX500.
I've tweaked their settings and I'm pretty happy with the result.
post #1957 of 6195 Old 07-12-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corio View Post

But no review of the 60EX500 with the Sharp panel. I wonder why this TV has been relatively ignored by the larger review sites.
post #1958 of 6195 Old 07-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I've tweaked their settings and I'm pretty happy with the result.

I just went to this website, and can't seem to find a table of their calibrated settings...did I miss something?

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #1959 of 6195 Old 07-12-2010, 10:57 AM

Extreme_Boky
Thank you for your comments on my review, however I'm trying for the 3rd time to get an answer, "how to set the date and time on this TV". There is is nothing in the menu that let's you do that. Since there is a Timer on/off then, you must be able to set the date/time.
Can you check your TV and let me know, please
Thanks
post #1960 of 6195 Old 07-12-2010, 11:51 AM

I just went through the manual online and I don't think there is a user accessible clock. My TV does NOT display the current time in any fashion (wish it did).

The only timers the TV has are a Sleep Timer (adjustable in 15 minute increments) and an Idle TV Standby Timer (adjustable as 1 hour, 2 hours or 4 hours).

The TV would not need to have a clock function for either of these timers to operate as the actual time is irrelevant to these functions (there just has to be a countdown timer - like a kitchen timer).

Perfection is unattainable.
post #1961 of 6195 Old 07-12-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillboy49 View Post

I just went through the manual online and I don't think there is a user accessible clock. My TV does NOT display the current time in any fashion (wish it did).

The only timers the TV has are a Sleep Timer (adjustable in 15 minute increments) and an Idle TV Standby Timer (adjustable as 1 hour, 2 hours or 4 hours).

The TV would not need to have a clock function for either of these timers to operate as the actual time is irrelevant to these functions (there just has to be a countdown timer - like a kitchen timer).

Thanks pillboy49
Well, this must be a first HDTV I've seen that does not have the function to set the date/time. Good think to know for I thought I'm getting too old or too crazy to figure out a simple think like a clock on a TV.
post #1962 of 6195 Old 07-12-2010, 12:11 PM

Hello to all on this thread. 1st time poster, 1st time LCD SONY BRAVIA 46EX500 BE3 owner.
I've read everything on this thread and I want 2 thank everyone who posted because it helped a noob like me a lot.

I'm reading a lot of trouble with the screens of the ex500 series, flashlighting and that kind of stuff. Have my 46EX500 a month now and Thank god i haven't spotted any problems yet.
Accept for the blurring when Motion Flow is on "high". It doesn't work when i'm watching a bluray movie, but when i'm gaming or watching HDTV the blurring is minimal. When i'm watching hdtv sports it looks even more then fantastic.

But now.... Can somebody comment on my settings. Would be much appreciated.

Picture Mode: Custom

Backlight: 1
Contrast: 89
Brightness: 51
Colour: 50
ColourTemp: Neutral
Sharpness: 3
MotionFlow: Standard
FilmMode: Auto 1

Everything else is Off. White Balance all 0
Tried this calibration with AVSHD.

I'm using these settings for HDtv. Should I use different settings for gaming or BluRay movies?

sorry for my english if i made some mistakes

Thanx4reading
post #1963 of 6195 Old 07-12-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post

I just went to this website, and can't seem to find a table of their calibrated settings...did I miss something?

You have to dig around a bit, but they are:

Picture Mode: Cinema
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 50
Colour: 48
Hue: 0
Colour Temperature: Warm 2
Sharpness: Min
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Motionflow: ?
Film Mode: Auto 2

Black Corrector: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Gamma: +1
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Colour: Off

R Gain: -1
G Gain: -1
B Gain: -2

R Bias: 0
G Bias: +1
B Bias: -3

As you can see, the only one I'm not certain they mention is the Motionflow setting.
post #1964 of 6195 Old 07-12-2010, 02:08 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4see View Post

... Accept for the blurring when Motion Flow is on "high". It doesn't work when i'm watching a bluray movie, but when i'm gaming or watching HDTV the blurring is minimal. When i'm watching hdtv sports it looks even more then fantastic. ...

Your bluray player should be sending out 24fps, and Motionflow should be turned OFF on the TV for best results. Try it and let us know.
post #1965 of 6195 Old 07-12-2010, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I find it very odd how many "correct" ways there are to set white balance. Its somewhat baffeling actually.

Anyway new settings being tested. I believe that my test of gamma +1 was incorrect.
post #1966 of 6195 Old 07-12-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks pillboy49
Well, this must be a first HDTV I've seen that does not have the function to set the date/time. Good think to know for I thought I'm getting too old or too crazy to figure out a simple think like a clock on a TV.

This is where I found the date/time settings:

Home -> Settings -> System settings -> Clock/Timers -> Clock Set

This is on the European version with XMB style menu and BE3.
post #1967 of 6195 Old 07-12-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by des163 View Post

This is where I found the date/time settings:

Home -> Settings -> System settings -> Clock/Timers -> Clock Set

This is on the European version with XMB style menu and BE3.

Thaks, but on US version we don't have BE3 and XMB. The EX700 has the XMB and the clock is there, but not the EX500
post #1968 of 6195 Old 07-12-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4see View Post

Hello to all on this thread. 1st time poster, 1st time LCD SONY BRAVIA 46EX500 BE3 owner.
I've read everything on this thread and I want 2 thank everyone who posted because it helped a noob like me a lot.

I'm reading a lot of trouble with the screens of the ex500 series, flashlighting and that kind of stuff. Have my 46EX500 a month now and Thank god i haven't spotted any problems yet.
Accept for the blurring when Motion Flow is on "high". It doesn't work when i'm watching a bluray movie, but when i'm gaming or watching HDTV the blurring is minimal. When i'm watching hdtv sports it looks even more then fantastic.

But now.... Can somebody comment on my settings. Would be much appreciated.

Picture Mode: Custom

Contrast: 89
Brightness: 51
Colour: 50
ColourTemp: Neutral
Sharpness: 3
MotionFlow: Standard
FilmMode: Auto 1

Everything else is Off. White Balance all 0
Tried this calibration with AVSHD.

I'm using these settings for HDtv. Should I use different settings for gaming or BluRay movies?

sorry for my english if i made some mistakes

Thanx4reading

I’ve tried many settings on different BD and used the BD HD basic, AVS patterns and SD video essentials and IMO Sony engineers did a great job and came very close to excellent picture. Yes, you can get all kinds of different settings, but at the end it is your eyes telling you what is best for you on your TV. At any rate I consider this settings best for me. It gives me an excellent shadow detail in darker scenes and solid pop in brighter scenes. Despite Cnet and other magazines telling you to disable the ACE, black corrector etc., in case on EX500 they actually enhance the picture and do NOT crush the blacks.
Here is two of my settings, you can try both and see which one you like better.
As far as the motionflow and cinemotion goes it’s up to you, I always use motionflow on standard and cinemation on auto1 for I am used to Plasma and smooth panning which these settings will do it, if you like it more “film like” as other people do than turn it off.
Set your BD player to Auto or YCbCr 4:4:4, deep color to 12 bits, 24p output and the picture mode to Standard. I’ve tried theater but like the standard better.

Picture mode
Standard Custom
Backlight : Min :Min
Picture : 95 :95
Brightness: 52 :52
Color: 55 :50 (or 55 according to blue filter)
Hue: 0 :0
Color Temp: standard :warm2
Sharpness: 3 :3
Noise R: off ff
MPG: off ff
MotionFlow: standard :standard
Cinemotion: Auto1 :Auto 1
Advance settings:
ACE: Medium ff
Black corrector: Medium ff
Gamma: 0 :0
Clear white: off ff
Live color: Low ff
White balance: all 0 :all 0
Ambient sensor: off ff
Power savings: off ff
post #1969 of 6195 Old 07-12-2010, 08:50 PM

Hey guys, just ordered a 60ex500 (very excited to set it up and calibrate!)

I'm wondering what kind of stands you are all using? Or maybe you could point me to the correct place to discuss this. I'd like to keep it under $300. I saw one by Bush at Sears.com, but they want $120 to ship it

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=00823435000P
post #1970 of 6195 Old 07-13-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post

Hey guys, just ordered a 60ex500 (very excited to set it up and calibrate!)

I'm wondering what kind of stands you are all using? Or maybe you could point me to the correct place to discuss this. I'd like to keep it under $300. I saw one by Bush at Sears.com, but they want $120 to ship it

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=00823435000P

I'm also waiting for the same Tv to arrive. I think I will get a bracket to put it on the wall. I am looking for a stand that maybe has some sliding doors to hide components when not in use, but with the back open to keep them cool (i saw one at best buy but it was not put together right and it was hard to tell if it would work for me). The stand you pasted below is similar to the one I have now for my KDS60a2000.
post #1971 of 6195 Old 07-13-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:

Live color: Low

Live color any other than OFF produce fake colors. It may be good at first, but I've noticed especially watching some sports that green is so fake giving unnatural grass color. That's why I had to switch it off.

There's so much to learn about my 40EX500. I'm constantly experimenting with different settings. So far, I've only had it for 3 weeks, this is a hard set in terms of settings. It should've been better calibrated out of box.
post #1972 of 6195 Old 07-13-2010, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Extreme_Boky
Thank you for your comments on my review, however I'm trying for the 3rd time to get an answer, "how to set the date and time on this TV". There is is nothing in the menu that let's you do that. Since there is a Timer on/off then, you must be able to set the date/time.
Can you check your TV and let me know, please
Thanks

I don't have Sony LCD.... have Sharp but if you had the option of setting time / date before firmware upgrade I suggest contacting Service Department. They should be able to e-mail you the original firmware version.

Good luck,
Boky
post #1973 of 6195 Old 07-13-2010, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Am about to update the tv firmware with v1.512. I notice on the Sony website, the update instructions speak about a "1139" update version that is 45.3 megabytes in size, but I am assuming that is just left over from an old update???

Now the next question is: are the updates cumulative? Doesn't seem so, because it doesn't make sense that a newer update (v1.512) would be smaller in size than a previous one (v1.139), does it? I'm not sure which f/w version I currently have on my tv, since I have never updated it in the months since I bought it.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #1974 of 6195 Old 07-13-2010, 06:20 AM

Well, the "firmware update" does NOT always have to contain a larger file size. It could always be a "patch" and not a direct file replace. Basically, it doesn't need the entire file replaced rather it searches for signatures of bytes in the old firmware and replace it with the new firmware bytes, this process is aka. a patch. I'm sure you can check what version your firmware is, there is a "System Information" section somewhere, which has your serial number, product number, firmware version and more.
post #1975 of 6195 Old 07-13-2010, 06:22 AM

Liked: 11
is the firmware update really needed on the 55ex501? Mine seems to be working fine and i dont have any issues that i am aware of?
post #1976 of 6195 Old 07-13-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

I find it very odd how many "correct" ways there are to set white balance. Its somewhat baffeling actually.

I totally agree with that. You should think the "pro" settings would be more or less the same, but I've seen some crazy variations.

The WB settings I quoted earlier seems to work for my 46" model though. I feel they are the most "natural" yet.
post #1977 of 6195 Old 07-13-2010, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I totally agree with that. You should think the "pro" settings would be more or less the same, but I've seen some crazy variations.

The WB settings I quoted earlier seems to work for my 46" model though. I feel they are the most "natural" yet.

Correct white balances seem to be dimming pictures out alot, Warm2 dims picture.

It seems to me that they are connected
post #1978 of 6195 Old 07-13-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:

You're talking about hdtvtest settings? I am testing them too, but only for blueray and mkv movies. So far I have made first correction increasing backlight to 8, and in consequence decreasing gamma to -1. Their WB seems to completely kill blue color cast in dark shades, which is phenomenal achievement.

For SD/HDTV I have other settings, and still tweaking them
post #1979 of 6195 Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post

I don't have Sony LCD.... have Sharp but if you had the option of setting time / date before firmware upgrade I suggest contacting Service Department. They should be able to e-mail you the original firmware version.

Good luck,
Boky

I find it odd, a person who doesn't even have EX500 would answer my request in regards to clock settings, yet none of you gurus can lift your remote and check the menu settings
Thanks
post #1980 of 6195 Old 07-13-2010, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ive been offered a choice of replacements for my Sony e2000 TV that had a full optical block failure.

I'm trying to decide between a 40" EX500 or a 46" NX700. I would have to pay more for the NX700 (the EX500 would be free). I'm concerned about the vertical banding on the EX500.

Any recommendations?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia 60 Inch Lcd Hdtv Kdl 60ex500 , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 52v5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page