Official KDL..EX500/501 Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 6195 Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Price played a major part in my decision in choosing the 55EX501 over the EX700/701. I was able to get a bigger TV (55 vs 52) and still saved money. I am sure picture wise the two are very similar. So in my case it was an easy decision. The TV met my requirements and price. I am glad now I had a defective 55V5100 which enabled me to get the 55EX501.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 6195 Old 03-11-2010, 12:01 PM

Im not sure if i have a problem with mine or not, but here is my thread concerning my question/problem. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1234303
post #213 of 6195 Old 03-11-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy03Z06 View Post

Im not sure if i have a problem with mine or not, but here is my thread concerning my question/problem. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1234303

I have never noticed on mine. I usually use MotionFlow on Standard except for sports. I also turn it off for Blu-ray viewing most of the time. What setting do you have CineMotion on? I use Auto 1 but Auto 2 also looks good. Have not really decided which is best. Leaning towards Auto 2 though.
post #214 of 6195 Old 03-11-2010, 01:07 PM

I'm looking at buying a 46 inch lcd, and am currently a Samsung owner. I am looking at the new C630 Samsung line, but the EX500 series looked very good in comparison. I was wondering if any owners here on this forum did this comparison, and what their thoughts were.

Thanks
post #215 of 6195 Old 03-11-2010, 05:25 PM

Are there any official reviews of this model TV? (any size)
post #216 of 6195 Old 03-11-2010, 06:16 PM

I have been checking out the new panels at Sears, BB, and Costco a number of times over the last few weeks since i am looking for a new set. Each and every time the EX500/501 has impressed me the most. I was initially dead set on an led-lit panel but am starting to rethink this plan. One question. Has anyone used their set as a computer monitor and how did it perform in this regard?
post #217 of 6195 Old 03-11-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheidis View Post

Thanks! I'm so happy to hear that, I don't like silver & wasn't going to get this model because of that, glad I found this forum. Does anyone have the 55 box? Friend wants exact measurements to see if it will fit in her xterra

Why is the silver bottom such a big deal and a deal breaker? I just bought an
Sony KDL-40ex500 and, yes, the bottom is silver but it has a great picture, at least to my eyes.
post #218 of 6195 Old 03-11-2010, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflerace2 View Post

Why is the silver bottom such a big deal and a deal breaker? I just bought an
Sony KDL-40ex500 and, yes, the bottom is silver but it has a great picture, at least to my eyes.

The Costco version is the exact same thing, looks nicer and has a longer warranty. I wouldn't go any other way if I were buying it.
post #219 of 6195 Old 03-11-2010, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by km23 View Post

Are there any official reviews of this model TV? (any size)

techradar.com has a review of the 40ex503. That's the uk model, and it's a uk site.

Black level performance was supposed to be the deepest they'd seen on any Sony tv. If you look at the Home Theater Mag review for the xbr9, you see that those blacks are impressive for any display, lcd or otherwise. If the EX500 gets deeper than that, I might possibly try to pick it up.

They do say that perhaps the 32b650 Samsung would be the closest contender. This is interesting, because the 32b650 was using AUO's amva3 8-bit panel, which is what's on my 40V5100. I don't know what the 46V5100 panel was-might have been amva3, might have been something else. The only way to know would be to take the back off the tv.

This is why I'm interested in seeing what Dan134's new 40EX500 will look like in regards to blacks when compared to the 40V5100 he exchanged. I'm curious if the new panel is really Sharp on all sizes. I don't think it is on the 55", since Sharp doesn't make that size, but it could be S-PVA or a new panel from CMO, which would still be good.

The 40V is really a special set. Check the Home Theater Mag review. It's the first LCD that I've been able to watch in the dark and not feel like I'm looking at a light box. Not only that, it can get darker than the reading they took at HTMag.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #220 of 6195 Old 03-11-2010, 09:30 PM

All I know is that the blacks on my 55EX501 are better than what was on my 55V5100. But again that is with a 55" panel. I think between the 55V5100 and 55EX501 there must be a change of panels. Just guessing though.
post #221 of 6195 Old 03-11-2010, 11:57 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

techradar.com has a review of the 40ex503. That's the uk model, and it's a uk site.

Black level performance was supposed to be the deepest they'd seen on any Sony tv. If you look at the Home Theater Mag review for the xbr9, you see that those blacks are impressive for any display, lcd or otherwise. If the EX500 gets deeper than that, I might possibly try to pick it up.

They do say that perhaps the 32b650 Samsung would be the closest contender. This is interesting, because the 32b650 was using AUO's amva3 8-bit panel, which is what's on my 40V5100. I don't know what the 46V5100 panel was-might have been amva3, might have been something else. The only way to know would be to take the back off the tv.

This is why I'm interested in seeing what Dan134's new 40EX500 will look like in regards to blacks when compared to the 40V5100 he exchanged. I'm curious if the new panel is really Sharp on all sizes. I don't think it is on the 55", since Sharp doesn't make that size, but it could be S-PVA or a new panel from CMO, which would still be good.

The 40V is really a special set. Check the Home Theater Mag review. It's the first LCD that I've been able to watch in the dark and not feel like I'm looking at a light box. Not only that, it can get darker than the reading they took at HTMag.

Exchanging the V for the EX500 tomorrow morning, so you can expect some pics by tomorrow night!
post #222 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the differences between the two models, if there are any.

One request, could you take an additional pic with the backlight set at minimum?

Thanks

post #223 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The TV in that review has Bravia engine 3 and the internet widgets... so it's like an EX700 but with CCFL instead of LED backlighting.

I don't know how to quantify the impact BE3 has on picture quality but in theory the EX500/501 available here in the states will have less processing power for frame-to-frame image tweaking... so the TV in that review should do motionflo better, do dynamic backlight processing a little better and handle de-interlacing and pulldown a bit better than BE2.

...again, in theory. I'm not saying any of this will be visible to the average joe, just that the review listed isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison.
post #224 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 07:13 AM

I bought a 60EX500 the minute it released on the sonystyle site. I upgraded from a 50" A2000 SXRD. The black levels on this tv are excellent so far, I am a tinker type person as most of the people here are (otherwise they wouldn't be here). I have messed with the settings almost daily, dialing in here and there a little at a time. Backlight setting is the one I juggle the most. I have been bouncing between 1-3. No flashlighting at all with this set. I was torn between ccfl and led. My final decision maker after much thinking was that with going 60" better to go with improved upon "old reliable" than new experimenting LED backlighting... have not regretted it a bit. Also for the most part lets face it, the tv is used as a "monitor". I don't need widgets, fidgets, sidgets, etc... just want a good picture that I can customize to my liking. speakers are turned of since I have surround as most others do. This model line fits that bill perfectly and if you compare it with features and price to last years models when they rolled out...can't beat it.
post #225 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 07:44 AM

I'm considering importing an ex500 from the US into Canada. Since I will have to pay duty if the TV is made outside of North American (including Mexico), I was wondering if any of those of you who have purchased an ex500 would mind posting where it was manufactured. Thanks so much for your help.
post #226 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspade View Post

I'm considering importing an ex500 from the US into Canada. Since I will have to pay duty if the TV is made outside of North American (including Mexico), I was wondering if any of those of you who have purchased an ex500 would mind posting where it was manufactured. Thanks so much for your help.

Mexico
post #227 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 08:53 AM

just got a 46EX500, heres some of my initial thoughts. Will be a few comparisons to the V5100 since the EX5 is the replacement model for Sony and also for myself.

The box is pretty small, I did a double take to make sure it said 46" on it. I think I might be able to fit it into the back of a 4 door car standing up. I could easily carry it myself. The box is in color which is kind of cool at first, but I prefer brown so its more incognito when I store it in my garage.

Settings, seems pretty much the same as the V5100. Has the new ambient light sensor. It still has full pixel mode but its a little harder to find. There is no longer a cinema mode in the settings but now theres a scene mode where you can choose between cinema, game, standard, etc.. those modes are not adjustable.

My V5100 would autodetect what inputs I had something plugged into. The EX5 doesn't seem to do that but you can manually choose to skip inputs you aren't using and label the ones you use.

Has a swivel stand which is nice, I was easily able to put the tv on the stand by myself. Stand came put together already, wish I would have made sure the factory tightened it enough.

A few sound options, theres a EQ, havent messed with any of that yet.

Havent had enough time with it to evaluation PQ or even make any adjustments to it yet.
post #228 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 08:56 AM

just got my 46ex500 last night from J&R.
The detail, sharpness and depth all look good.
My one gripe is that the picture seems a bit cool, I'll try adjusting the white balance to fix that (I assume there is a white balance adjustment, at work now, cannot check).
Flesh tones are also a bit pale/chalky.
If anyone has a few basic tips to improve, let me know.
Thanks
Jason
post #229 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 09:11 AM

Find the color temp settings....it sounds like it's set to "cool"

Use anything but "cool"
post #230 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post

The TV in that review has Bravia engine 3 and the internet widgets... so it's like an EX700 but with CCFL instead of LED backlighting.

I don't know how to quantify the impact BE3 has on picture quality but in theory the EX500/501 available here in the states will have less processing power for frame-to-frame image tweaking... so the TV in that review should do motionflo better, do dynamic backlight processing a little better and handle de-interlacing and pulldown a bit better than BE2.

...again, in theory. I'm not saying any of this will be visible to the average joe, just that the review listed isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison.

No, you're right about that. I think even the V5500 there had BE3 last year. I'm not sure what the impact on picture is with BE3, as I've seen HD content on BE2 vs. BE3 and couldn't tell a difference. I think it might be about getting more from upconverted sources.

Sony does say it'll impact Blu-ray, too, but I've just never seen that.

I'm just hoping it's using the same panel in the US model. Home Cinema Choice and Techradar are affiliated with each other, but they give the oddest measurements of contrast ratios. However, they are one of the few reviewers that have noticed that Sony ccfls can get great blacks.

If only David Katzmeier would admit that 2009 Sonys get darker than 2009 pannys...

post #231 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post

Find the color temp settings....it sounds like it's set to "cool"

Use anything but "cool"

Hi Hawk
I did try the setting "warm 1", however skin still looks kind of grey (not severe, however I notice it)
post #232 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 12:18 PM

Got my 55EX500 today from shipping carrier DB Schenker as part of the XBR1 exchange deal.

JohnG (videokng)

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)
Onix Rockets RS550MKIIs
Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910
Toshiba HD-DVD XA2/ Sony PS3
SVS 25-31CS+
post #233 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 01:24 PM

Just got this hooked up. My first thoughts:

The bezel of the ex500 is nice. I have seen a lot of complaints about the matte steel finish at the bottom, but I quite like it. I was a little worried that it would look bizarre, but it really doesn't. The remote is bulkier than the V series, about the same in terms of quality. Buttons now click, unlike the V series.

The menu seems more cluttered than the V series unfortunately, but everything, once found, is relatively easy to access. This TV does not automatically detect inputs, which is sort of odd, but they can easily be labeled.

Now for the picture/sound:

Picture quality is nearly identical to the V series, except this TV has a much better backlight (uniform backlighting for the win). This TV doesn't seem to handle SD signals as well as the V series (though it's a minimal difference) and HD signals are slightly better (again, minimal). The blacks are black and the whites are white. I am still fiddling with color temperature (the delivery guy set everything to vivid, so I have to go back and change it). Vivid worked to an extent on the V series (as a joke, sort of), on the EX500 it does not. It looks awful, but standard looks amazing. I am using the new Final Fantasy game as comparison reference, and the game looked amazing on both sets, but I have to give the edge to the EX500.

There are some new options that I am playing with, including "black corrector" and "Mpeg Noise Reduction" but I have no idea what either does. "Live Color" makes a return and actually dramatically changes the color temperature, unlike the V series (not sure if that's good or bad yet).

The sound quality is a HUGE step up from the V series. No more pops, clipping audio, drop outs, etc. I am extremely hard of hearing, and turning the TV up to 35 (out of 100) was too loud and I could hear the TV well. Dynamic sound sort of sucks (bass is not great on this set, like most HD TVs), so I decided to stick with standard, which is much more balanced.

Inputs have been switched around a little bit. Two HDMIs in the back, two on the side. Some people that choose the mount may have some problems with this, but I don't personally care. The VGA input has also been put in the back (I prefer this).

Overall, this TV is better than the V series (and oddly only a few dollars more expensive). If are one of the people like me who loved the V series but felt a little ripped off because of the technical issues, this is the set you have been waiting for. I will post some pictures tonight and give more impressions over the next few days.
post #234 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 01:29 PM

Forgot to add:

The EX500 runs noticeably cooler than the V series. Not sure if it has dramatically lower power consumption, but the screen does not feel hot when you put your hand near it after an hour or so of running.
post #235 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan134 View Post

Forgot to add:

The EX500 runs noticeably cooler than the V series. Not sure if it has dramatically lower power consumption, but the screen does not feel hot when you put your hand near it after an hour or so of running.

I noticed that also. Good luck with the settings. It will take a little time to get it where it is best for you.
post #236 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, you're right about that. I think even the V5500 there had BE3 last year. I'm not sure what the impact on picture is with BE3, as I've seen HD content on BE2 vs. BE3 and couldn't tell a difference. I think it might be about getting more from upconverted sources.

Sony does say it'll impact Blu-ray, too, but I've just never seen that.

I'm just hoping it's using the same panel in the US model. Home Cinema Choice and Techradar are affiliated with each other, but they give the oddest measurements of contrast ratios. However, they are one of the few reviewers that have noticed that Sony ccfls can get great blacks.

If only David Katzmeier would admit that 2009 Sonys get darker than 2009 pannys...

Yeah, I did a bit of digging to see if I could find forum posts or reviews that lay out the visible differences that BE3 provides over BE2... and as of yet I haven't found anything. Based on what what everyone is saying about the EX500 series the differences must not be dramatic... which is another reason I bought one.
post #237 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan134 View Post

Just got this hooked up. My first thoughts:

The bezel of the ex500 is nice. I have seen a lot of complaints about the matte steel finish at the bottom, but I quite like it. I was a little worried that it would look bizarre, but it really doesn't. The remote is bulkier than the V series, about the same in terms of quality. Buttons now click, unlike the V series.

The menu seems more cluttered than the V series unfortunately, but everything, once found, is relatively easy to access. This TV does not automatically detect inputs, which is sort of odd, but they can easily be labeled.

Now for the picture/sound:

Picture quality is nearly identical to the V series, except this TV has a much better backlight (uniform backlighting for the win). This TV doesn't seem to handle SD signals as well as the V series (though it's a minimal difference) and HD signals are slightly better (again, minimal). The blacks are black and the whites are white. I am still fiddling with color temperature (the delivery guy set everything to vivid, so I have to go back and change it). Vivid worked to an extent on the V series (as a joke, sort of), on the EX500 it does not. It looks awful, but standard looks amazing. I am using the new Final Fantasy game as comparison reference, and the game looked amazing on both sets, but I have to give the edge to the EX500.

There are some new options that I am playing with, including "black corrector" and "Mpeg Noise Reduction" but I have no idea what either does. "Live Color" makes a return and actually dramatically changes the color temperature, unlike the V series (not sure if that's good or bad yet).

The sound quality is a HUGE step up from the V series. No more pops, clipping audio, drop outs, etc. I am extremely hard of hearing, and turning the TV up to 35 (out of 100) was too loud and I could hear the TV well. Dynamic sound sort of sucks (bass is not great on this set, like most HD TVs), so I decided to stick with standard, which is much more balanced.

Inputs have been switched around a little bit. Two HDMIs in the back, two on the side. Some people that choose the mount may have some problems with this, but I don't personally care. The VGA input has also been put in the back (I prefer this).

Overall, this TV is better than the V series (and oddly only a few dollars more expensive). If are one of the people like me who loved the V series but felt a little ripped off because of the technical issues, this is the set you have been waiting for. I will post some pictures tonight and give more impressions over the next few days.

Sweet, glad it's getting better. Looking forward to seeing if the blacks have improved somewhat in a dark room- although, they're already excellent.

I'm glad they got the backlighting figured out. Perhaps the new panel is partially responsibly in addition to a new backlight.

post #238 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Good news for me! I've decided to get the Sony KDL-40EX500 (or the 501 model if Costco have them in stock).

Question: has anyone bothered to connect it to a TiVo HD XL DVR box using the HDMI connection? How's the picture quality from the TiVo DVR in full HD mode?

Raymond in Sacramento, CA
post #239 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 04:21 PM

Has anybody successfully configured a Logitech Harmony remote to work with an EX500? Although the EX 500 is in the logitech database, the default settings don't seem to work quite right for selecting between inputs.
post #240 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post

Yeah, I did a bit of digging to see if I could find forum posts or reviews that lay out the visible differences that BE3 provides over BE2... and as of yet I haven't found anything. Based on what what everyone is saying about the EX500 series the differences must not be dramatic... which is another reason I bought one.

When I look at the specs of units with BE2 vs. BE3, the only difference I've found is that BE3 sets utilize internet access tools and widgets. I'm beginning to believe that the video processing is identical on both Bravia engines, and Sony designates their telelvisions with internet features as BE3.

Just my 2 cents.

Sony 52W4100 LCD, LG 42PG25 Plasma, Sony 46Z5100 LCD, Samsung 19D4000 LED, Samsung BD-P 2550, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S350, LG BD570, Panny DMR-EZ485V
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia 60 Inch Lcd Hdtv Kdl 60ex500 , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 52v5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page