Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeleelias View Post

Has anybody successfully configured a Logitech Harmony remote to work with an EX500? Although the EX 500 is in the logitech database, the default settings don't seem to work quite right for selecting between inputs.

I have done mine. The problem lies in the TV I think. It only recognizes HDMI inputs 1 and 2 from the remote. 3 and 4 it does not accept. I think it is the TV fault but not sure, could be the remote command. I checked using Devces on the remote and it did not work that way either. The TV remote only uses the Input button.

I just set up my Blu-ray on HDMI 4 and placed a customized button called input which will allow to go through the inputs until I get to HDMI 4. So I just press the Input button after switching to "Watch a Movie" on the Harmony Remote. I relabeled inputs also so it is easy to find. Not a big deal for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the input on attaching the stand, managed to do it myself. Additional question please: should the "neck" be slightly flexible after the base is attached, or is it supposed to be completely rigid??... It's normal that I can place my hand on top of the panel & "wiggle" it slightly, right??...(Otherwise I'll re-attach it.) Thanks.
post #243 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIDEOKNG View Post

Got my 55EX500 today from shipping carrier DB Schenker as part of the XBR1 exchange deal.

Looking forward to your review. I've got the same TV on order from Sony via the XBR1 fiasco.

VR
post #244 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 07:28 PM

you guys/gals have too much time on your hands man. this is why it sucks to work retail. go check out your vehicle. does it have a scratch on it?

enjoy life. we are all dying. you too. all of us. enjoy!
post #245 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92miata View Post

you guys/gals have too much time on your hands man. this is why it sucks to work retail. go check out your vehicle. does it have a scratch on it?

enjoy life. we are all dying. you too. all of us. enjoy!

Vehicle is fine, no scratches except the ones I put on it. I am still alive, but getting closer to dying I think. Also my 55EX501 is working fine, watching the Lakers as I type. Picture has never been better.
post #246 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 08:20 PM

Looks like most people are going with the 55" or smaller. Does not anyone have any experience with the 60"? Thanks!
post #247 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 08:45 PM

Liked: 11
My brother has had the 46EX500 for almost three weeks now , so far so good..Bang for the buck on the 46" is very good IMO.I may get one for myself..I like the PQ on the Sammy LED's but the glossy screens are annoying..BB is doing the price match deal , they matched HHGregg on price for his..We looked for a calibration disc in BB today but couldn't find one..Does someone have a suggestion on a calibration disc for begginers ?
post #248 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by km23 View Post

Looks like most people are going with the 55" or smaller. Does not anyone have any experience with the 60"? Thanks!

The 60" was out of my price range but I would think it would be similar to the 55". The EX500/501 seems to be a great TV for the price regardless of size.
post #249 of 6195 Old 03-12-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by km23 View Post

Got the 60ex500 and have owned for about 2 weeks now, wall mounted it (look online, got the mount for $35 great quality), used an employee discount the day they released this on sony's site and got it for $2069. Great picture, no flashlighting, deep blacks, have ps3, xbox 360, HD cable all hooked with a pioneer vsx-1019ah receiver. Definitely tweak your settings, turn off motion flow, etc... I am running backlight at 2 now, detail and sharpness are great, especially for a 60" LCD. My personal settings are that I have turned off all advanced features that would modify video, motion flow, cinemotion, corrector... all are turned off. After hours of running there is very minimal heat from top vents, I was really amazed considering its size I expected a lot more. I have 2-32" Vizios in my kids rooms and each of them generate 3-4 times more heat than this TV does. All and all an awesome TV for the price. I am Sony all the way as all my HDTVs have been Sony, both before this one had issues including the one I am upgrading from (SXRD 50A2000) both times they have taken care of the issue out of warranty, no cost to me, no arguments. Also I always seem to luck out an get some kind of crazy discount that doesn't hurt at all either!
post #250 of 6195 Old 03-13-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey J 23 View Post

Got the 60ex500 and have owned for about 2 weeks now, wall mounted it (look online, got the mount for $35 great quality), used an employee discount the day they released this on sony's site and got it for $2069. Great picture, no flashlighting, deep blacks, have ps3, xbox 360, HD cable all hooked with a pioneer vsx-1019ah receiver. Definitely tweak your settings, turn of motion flow, etc... I am running backlight at 2 now, detail and sharpness are great, especially for a 60" LCD. My personal settings are that I have turned off all advanced features that would modify video, motion flow, cinemotion, corrector... all are turned off. After hours of running there is very minimal heat from top vents, I was really amazed considering its size I expected a lot more. I have 2-32" Vizios in my kids rooms and each of them generate 3-4 times more heat than this TV does. All and all an awesome TV for the price. I am Sony all the way as all my HDTVs have been Sony, both before this one had issues including the one I am upgrading from (SXRD 50A2000) both times they have taken care of the issue out of warranty, no cost to me, no arguments. Also I always seem to luck out an get some kind of crazy discount that doesn't hurt at all either!

Thanks for the info. I'll probably go with the 60" once I look at it again at Sony Style. Amazon is also not selling it at a good price yet from their own store. I'll wait a little while for that.
post #251 of 6195 Old 03-13-2010, 02:52 AM

Hi guys, I just joined the forum, bought my first lcd hdtv the 40EX500(got it for 685 at Frys with friends discount :]) almost 2 weeks now and I'm loving it so far,it wasn't as bright as a samsung (or so I thought at first), just turned off ambient sensor and now I'm loving it even more!
post #252 of 6195 Old 03-13-2010, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I posted in the input lag thread something regarding the EX500 I found on YouTube. It seems pretty bad....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post18304832
post #253 of 6195 Old 03-13-2010, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon View Post

I posted in the input lag thread something regarding the EX500 I found on YouTube. It seems pretty bad....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post18304832

Just make sure that when you view posts on Lag that the OP knows what they're talking about and truly know how to test for Lag.

If they have no such background in IT or AV sciences and lack Networking background most don't know Jack and your reading uselss posts without validity but somebody lacking the credentials that demonstrate they truly know how to test for Lag and it's source.

You could have someone that's an experienced excellent Home PC user but if I placed them on my Enterprise Data/VOIP Network they wouldn't know Jack about what their talking about in that environment and in essence they'd be on preschool level comparatively and I rarely observe posters that test for input lag post any credentials that truly prove any validity to their tests - often they present Zero credentials to support their test or theory when they are judging panels Lag and most don't understand data packet flows at all - more than the TV is involved with Lag and the fact an HDMI Cable has no error correction built in yet and it's not a smart device yet either. Data cannot move any faster than it's weakest link and so what if an AVR is in the chain, your not truly testing TV lag - many items and different connections may be in the data flow chain and we all may have a differing scenario of how our HT is setup so how does that individuals test prove anything where the model is not universal? It rarely does.

Just take it with a grain of salt unless they have supported it with a valid background and testing methodology.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #254 of 6195 Old 03-13-2010, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Just take it with a grain of salt unless they have supported it with a valid background and testing methodology.

Those numbers seemed awfully high, but if you take a quick look at the video, it is noticeable. But I'd really like if someone who knew what he's doing did a good test (instead of using a laptop...)
post #255 of 6195 Old 03-13-2010, 10:57 AM

TelevisionInfo posted their reviews for the Sony EX700 and Samsung C7000 and the Sony blows the Samsung out of the water with at least twice the contrast ratio!

And as some of you say that the EX500 looks better than the EX700, well that's to show something...

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...eview-1592.htm
post #256 of 6195 Old 03-13-2010, 11:53 AM

Just keep in mind when using that review to get an impression of what the Ex500 might do in a review......that at this time we don't know what panel the 46EX700 is using.

We know for sure the 60EX500 and 60EX700 use the same panel technology. The 52EX700 uses the same panel as it's big brother as well. However I have yet to see a picture showing the pixel structure of the 46EX700. It's likely they are the same but there's the chance it's not so it's performance might not be on par. Given my viewing experience with the set I don't have any doubt though that a 60EX500 for example will review well and will likely review better in certain areas than it's EX700 brother.

Just some food for thought.
post #257 of 6195 Old 03-13-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Just make sure that when you view posts on Lag that the OP knows what they're talking about and truly know how to test for Lag.

If they have no such background in IT or AV sciences and lack Networking background most don't know Jack and your reading uselss posts without validity but somebody lacking the credentials that demonstrate they truly know how to test for Lag and it's source.

You could have someone that's an experienced excellent Home PC user but if I placed them on my Enterprise Data/VOIP Network they wouldn't know Jack about what their talking about in that environment and in essence they'd be on preschool level comparatively and I rarely observe posters that test for input lag post any credentials that truly prove any validity to their tests - often they present Zero credentials to support their test or theory when they are judging panels Lag and most don't understand data packet flows at all - more than the TV is involved with Lag and the fact an HDMI Cable has no error correction built in yet and it's not a smart device yet either. Data cannot move any faster than it's weakest link and so what if an AVR is in the chain, your not truly testing TV lag - many items and different connections may be in the data flow chain and we all may have a differing scenario of how our HT is setup so how does that individuals test prove anything where the model is not universal? It rarely does.

Is the input lag only for PCs connected through HDMI or would this apply to PS3s and the Xbox 360?
post #258 of 6195 Old 03-13-2010, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am now a proud owner of a new KDL-40EX500.

A couple of questions I need to ask:

1) Should ALL my connections be done through HDMI cables? That includes the TiVo HD XL DVR I just ordered, getting an upscaling DVD player or getting a Blu-ray player?

2) Can I get by with using my Panasonic DVD-S35 DVD player connected to the KDL-40EX500 through the RCA stero audio and component video inputs, with the player running in 480p display mode?

3) Does anyone here have a listing of display settings they like I can use as a reference to tweak further for best display?

4) One more thing: do we have lag issues with non-gaming devices connected through the HDMI connection or a progressive-scan DVD player connected through the component video connection?

Raymond in Sacramento, CA
post #259 of 6195 Old 03-13-2010, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 View Post

TelevisionInfo posted their reviews for the Sony EX700 and Samsung C7000 and the Sony blows the Samsung out of the water with at least twice the contrast ratio!

And as some of you say that the EX500 looks better than the EX700, well that's to show something...

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...eview-1592.htm

What planet are these guys on at TelevisionInfo????!!?!!?!!?

0.11 candelas??? That's something like 0.23 ft/L

They've got the Samsung B8500 @ .08 Candelas

This site is utter crap. No offense to you, bk.secret23, but I see people referencing this site all the time, yet it's full of so much inaccurate info, inaccurate settings, etc. I'm wondering if it's one big joke.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #260 of 6195 Old 03-13-2010, 05:46 PM

Hi All, really excited about the EX500 46" I just bought from the Sony Store. Looks great in my bedroom. Ordered a Sanus wall mount from Amazon. Should look excellent once I'm done
post #261 of 6195 Old 03-13-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheidis View Post

2) Why do they have these different models for Costco only? Do they cheap them out somehow (quality, features, etc.) or is there some reason why they are a little bit different than the models sold everywhere else?

Does anyone have a definite answer for this? I recently picked up the 46EX500 at BestBuy before I knew Costco had the 501. I love the picture and the sound quality is a lot better than I was expecting from TV speakers. Unfortunately however the silver finish on the lower part of the frame is annoying. In a fully darkened room there's no problem but during daylight viewing it makes the picture look like it's set too low on the screen. This is especially noticeable when watching letterboxed content. I probably wouldn't return the set for that alone but the three year warranty from CostCo is impossible to ignore. I did ask BB (post-purchase) to match the warranty but they refused.

So....before I return the 500 and buy the 501 I would like to be sure that the 501 is the same quality set. I suspect it is as I doubt it would be practical for Sony to source cheaper panels to produce CostCo-specific models but maybe I'm being naive on this.

Any thoughts?? Thanks all.
post #262 of 6195 Old 03-13-2010, 06:47 PM

i think it is funny that people shop at best buy over costco. wow, just wow. i have to be careful, since i work at costco. but come and see me and i will destroy all of my competition.

you people need to learn!!!!! and get a clue!!!!!

post #263 of 6195 Old 03-13-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanH View Post

Does anyone have a definite answer for this? I recently picked up the 46EX500 at BestBuy before I knew Costco had the 501. I love the picture and the sound quality is a lot better than I was expecting from TV speakers. Unfortunately however the silver finish on the lower part of the frame is annoying. In a fully darkened room there's no problem but during daylight viewing it makes the picture look like it's set too low on the screen. This is especially noticeable when watching letterboxed content. I probably wouldn't return the set for that alone but the three year warranty from CostCo is impossible to ignore. I did ask BB (post-purchase) to match the warranty but they refused.

So....before I return the 500 and buy the 501 I would like to be sure that the 501 is the same quality set. I suspect it is as I doubt it would be practical for Sony to source cheaper panels to produce CostCo-specific models but maybe I'm being naive on this.

Any thoughts?? Thanks all.

They are the same. It is just Costco has made an agreement with Sony for these models. It is new to Costco the 3-year warranty. Check Costco on the model you have to make sure it has the black bottom, not all have it but most do. Although I would not hesitate even with the silver bottom since you will get a 3-year warranty.
post #264 of 6195 Old 03-13-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92miata View Post

i think it is funny that people shop at best buy over costco. wow, just wow. i have to be careful, since i work at costco. but come and see me and i will destroy all of my competition.

you people need to learn!!!!! and get a clue!!!!!

Although this reply came directly after my post, I'll assume it was not directed at me since I clearly mentioned above I was unaware of the 501 at CostCo before I purchased at BestBuy.

However, since you bring it up, one of the reasons I and perhaps many others will sometimes shop elsewhere is that it is virtually impossible to know what is in stock at my local CostCo without physically visiting the store. Somewhere like BestBuy however allows you to check inventory online. In this case I did visit the CostCo store, several times in fact, and immediately prior to my BestBuy purchase. The 46EX501 was not available. Unfortunate timing on my part, which I plan to address by returning my 46EX500 to BB. CostCo does indeed offer some great deals on quality gear ..... sometimes. In many cases the items they offer are sub-par - not bad per se, just not necessarily best of breed. At the end of the day it all comes down to what you are shopping for, a bargain or the right product. Those two rarely collide but as luck would have it they seem to have done so with the 501.

Maybe this will clarify that I do in fact have a clue and perhaps CostCo is not the solution to every purchase for every buyer ?
post #265 of 6195 Old 03-13-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb1921 View Post

They are the same. It is just Costco has made an agreement with Sony for these models. It is new to Costco the 3-year warranty. Check Costco on the model you have to make sure it has the black bottom, not all have it but most do. Although I would not hesitate even with the silver bottom since you will get a 3-year warranty.

Thanks - this was what I was hoping to hear. Out of interest, how do you know this ? - did someone with inside knowledge at CostCo or Sony confirm it or have you been able to verify the components for each model ? Just interested ....
post #266 of 6195 Old 03-13-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanH View Post

Thanks - this was what I was hoping to hear. Out of interest, how do you know this ? - did someone with inside knowledge at CostCo or Sony confirm it or have you been able to verify the components for each model ? Just interested ....

Costco told me they were the same (not sure that helps much), but I did check the specs in the manual and they are exactly the same. The manual lists both models in the same column. So I am guessing that means they are the same with the minor difference in color at the bottom on some models. If you still have your TV, check the manual at the back for the specs, it should list both models. At least it does in my 55EX501 manual.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
post #267 of 6195 Old 03-13-2010, 07:54 PM

Just picked up the 60EX500 from BB. Wife and daughter both preferred the PQ over the EX700, and I concurred. Used an AMEX to double the warranty, but considering purchasing an extended warranty. Seems Sony has had some issues in the past, but has also been good about out of warranty issues. BB warranty plan is expensive, was considering Sony's or Mack (Squaretrade only offers 3 years). Does anyone have an opinion as to whether it's worth it?
post #268 of 6195 Old 03-13-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb1921 View Post

Costco told me they were the same (not sure that helps much), but I did check the specs in the manual and they are exactly the same. The manual lists both models in the same column. So I am guessing that means they are the same with the minor difference in color at the bottom on some models. If you still have your TV, check the manual at the back for the specs, it should list both models. At least it does in my 55EX501 manual.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

You're absolutely right. The 500/501 are grouped together in my 46EX500 manual also. That's probably about as close as we can get to an absolute confirmation from Sony. It's good enough for me so CostCo here I come! Thanks for the input.
post #269 of 6195 Old 03-14-2010, 12:36 AM

I really hope someone can talk about the lag issue on the 360 and PS3. I might just wait for the Samsung 750 series or just get a 650 series for a lot cheaper than deal with lag. Anyone?
post #270 of 6195 Old 03-14-2010, 01:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey can someone double check something for me?. One of the reviews on Sonys website says the tv can't fill the entire screen when viewing 16x9 movies. It still has the horizontal black bars at the top and bottom.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...077654#reviews
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia 60 Inch Lcd Hdtv Kdl 60ex500 , Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 52v5100 52 Inch 1080p 120hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread - 52v5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page