post #301 of 5439 Old 04-21-2010, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1. Budget: around $1,300
2. Seating distance: '7 - 8'
3. Use: Xbox 360 & HD movies
4. Room lighting: A few windows, but they are all mostly covered up to compensate for the TV. No windows directly behind the TV or directly in front of the TV.

I'm looking at getting at least a 50". But, I'm definitely open and almost am going in a direction towards rather getting a 55" or maybe a 52". I plan on using it mostly for gaming, but for watching a lot of HD movies as well. Was thinking about a Panasonic G10 series plasma TV, but I'm worried about being annoyed by image retention and burn in along with the idea that plasmas have a smaller life span.

I'm not worried about fancy extras like web apps or anything, I have my 360 and Windows Media Center for that stuff. I'm more concerned with picture quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 5439 Old 04-21-2010, 02:37 AM

I am comparing to select one 46" LCD/LED or Plasama from Samsung, Panasonic.

Mainly using for living room TV
- Will connect HTPC via HDMI/DVI/VGA.
- Love to have Internet Widget Feature.
- Love to have Network Streaming (PC Content via Ethernet)
- Love to have other internet service.

I am currently own 3 year old 52" Samsung LN-T5265F(LCD).
Since I love this set(still workig fine), I am kinda royal to Samsung.
The new TV will be another home that I am moving out apart from my family.

- Personally,never consider plasama, but it's first time to think and on my list.
(Since Panasonic strongly stay on the market. BTW Samsung Plasama?)
- Not sure LED vs LCD for picture quality overall.
- Since Samsung has Pannel lottery(Verison),
I am not sure and could not keep track, provide me
THE right info would be GREAT and MANY THANKS!

These are models in my list with lowest price research.

LCD (All prices including S&H & CA Sales Tax)
Samsung LN46C630 | @$ 930 | NEW
Samsung LN46C650 | @$1045 | NEW
Samsung LN46C670 | @$1285 | NEW (BestBuy Only Model)
Samsung LN46B750 | @$1150 | Refub (2009 7 Series Model)
Samsung LN46A850 | @$1120 | Refub (2009 8 Series Model)

LED
Samsung UN46B6000 | @$1105 | Refub
Samsung UN46B7000 | @$1382 | Refub
Samsung UN46C6300 | @$1400 | New ( Over the budget. )
Samsung UN46C5000 | @$1279 | New ( Over the budget. )

Plasama
Panasonic TC-P46G25 | @$1153 | New

or any other model you would suggest?
Total budget limit $1300.
About to plan BB store to make the final decision LCD vs LED soon.
Current high rank in my mind is Samsung LN46C650.

I would really appreciate all your suggestions and inputs!

Thanks.
post #303 of 5439 Old 04-21-2010, 03:56 PM

So I'm looking for something to replace an LN46A550 Samsung that stopped working. Warranty expired, it'll cost about $500 or more, we figure why not get a new TV?

Budget: Under $1000

Seating Distance: 6 to 8 feet

Size: I'd like to stick with 46 inches, maybe 50.

Uses: Movies, movies, movies. I want the best picture possible for my dvds and blu rays. More about that later. I also like streaming Netflix.

Room lighting: Not dark. Living room has sliding doors to a porch that get a lot of light coming through. Blinds do what they can.

So my main concern is movie watching. On my Samsung 550 I was extremely pleased with it for the first 9 months or so, but then the lag in response time started getting to me. It started getting on my nerves how the 60hz refresh rate was interfering with how the film was supposed to look. No idea why I hadn't noticed it earlier, perhaps my eyes got more sensitive to it?

Anyway I'd really like to find an LCD that will display films accurately. I do not watch sports or play video games. I will never, ever be using Auto Motion Plus, Smooth Motion Flow, or anything similar for anything at all.

I have some reservations about plasmas. My girlfriend thinks they look flat, the living rook will not get dark in the daytime, and I'm concerned about the burn-in from watching something like Seven Samurai (a fullscreen, 3.5 hour movie).

Any and ALL tips will be appreciated. Thanks!
post #304 of 5439 Old 04-23-2010, 11:14 AM

Too bad no one responds to this thread anymore.
post #305 of 5439 Old 04-23-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shears View Post

Too bad no one responds to this thread anymore.

I think its a trap to keep new people from asking the common questions in the other threads...
post #306 of 5439 Old 04-24-2010, 01:35 AM

hi
i want to say thank you to all avsforum professional users for their best guide for choosing the best HDTV

i want to by a new HDTV for these purposes
1. living room
2. movie and sport(both important)
3. NO gaming
4. internet

i choose 3 TV
1. samsung LCD LE46B650
2. samsung LED UN46B7000
3. panasonic PLASMA 42G10

which of them is the best base on your technical knowledge
and are samsung LED having advantage over samsung LCD?
post #307 of 5439 Old 04-25-2010, 09:51 AM

Liked: 12
I'm finally ready to take the leap into either LCD or Plasma. Currently I have an ISF-calibrated Sony 34XBR800 which I absolutely love, but it takes up way too much room in my living room (because it is housed in an enormous wooden armoire). Here are my specs:

Budget: $2500 or less
Size: 46"
Seating Distance: 8'
Use: Blu-Ray and Dish Network HD (not much sports)
Room Lighting: Fairly dim

Not sure whether to go LCD or Plasma. My absolute priority is Picture Quality. Design is not that important to me, I just want something that will make me as happy PQ-wise as my Sony 34XBR800 has (preferably more so).

I've had my eye on the Sony 46XBR8, which I can still get for $2k, but as that model is now a couple years old, there certainly must be a superior model out there. Samsung UN46B8500 perhaps?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
post #308 of 5439 Old 04-28-2010, 12:19 PM

1. Budget: < $1,000
2. Seating distance: anywhere from '3 - 8'
3. Use: 90% gaming, 10% BD movies on PS3
4. Room lighting: Windows will be covered so this is not an issue. No windows directly behind the TV or directly in front of the TV.

This can be LCD or Plasma anywhere from 32" to 42". It will be used mainly for extensive gaming. Im not looking to spend a great amount.

Im leaning towards the panny g10, but those are old now and may be hard to find.
post #309 of 5439 Old 04-28-2010, 01:12 PM

I've been looking and I think these are the two I've settled on I think. It'll be used in a bedroom in an armoire with DirecTV, dvd player, and possibly Wii.

Any advice?

Panasonic TC-L37X2 $516.75 total (will I notice that this one is only 720p?)

Toshiba 37E200U $572.40 total

VIZIO VA370M $579.92 total

Sean Nelson
me@snelsonco.org
"I'm the keeper of the cheese....."
post #310 of 5439 Old 04-30-2010, 01:33 PM

I can redeem some credit card points for "cash" gift cards. I would like to purchase a new television used for bedroom viewing of cable and media player movies. The size should be around 42". Here is the big question:

I can only redeem the credit card points for gift cards from Best Buy, Target, or Circuit City. So, the big question is, with my limited store selection, what would be my best choice of televisions? It could be led, lcd, or plasma; I have no real preference.

Or, if you know of some other way of converting chase rewards to cash, let me know.

Thanks
post #311 of 5439 Old 05-01-2010, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarber View Post

I've had my eye on the Sony 46XBR8, which I can still get for $2k, but as that model is now a couple years old, there certainly must be a superior model out there. Samsung UN46B8500 perhaps?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Probably the two leading models in LCD's right now. Either one should serve you well, should you decide to go LCD
post #312 of 5439 Old 05-04-2010, 09:33 AM

Hi everyone,
Please advise on an LCD unit!

Budget: $1100 max but would like to spend under 1000 if possible.

Seating: 12 ft from tv, straight ahead.

Lighting: tv will receive diffuse light from a row of large windows on 1 side.

Usage: 80% Comcast cable service, 20% dvd/blu-ray movies. 0% gaming

Size: depends on seating distance I guess. But I am guessing between 40-46". I live in an apartment and if I end up moving to a smaller place, I don't want to be stuck with too large of a tv unit, so max 46".

I love my family's current 46" Sony XBR9 but I'd like to find something cheaper for myself, hopefully with very comparable PQ as the XBR9.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Stephen
post #313 of 5439 Old 05-04-2010, 08:02 PM

Looking for a TV for my beach house living room/.great room. Good bit of light, looking for wide viewing angle, likely matte screen, thin mount. Love the viewing angle of Plasma, but not sure about using one in this bright of a room (alsthoug hthe new series 8 Samsungs look great and thin).

Looking at the LG vizio series. I DO NOT live anywhere near a AV store where I can look at these.

1. Budget- 1500-3000
2. Seating distance- 11 feet
3. Size/placement limitations- Hanging above mantle. Prefer THIN TV. Will mount on articulating arm.
4. Uses and sources- Comcast Cable, Blue Ray, DVD. General Living room use in Beach house
5. Room lighting- MAny windows. No windows at back wall where TV faces. All windows on one side of TX about 12 feet away. The TV will be in a great room with a couch in front, but would prefer to see from whole room, so wider viewing angle would help.

Any ideas?
post #314 of 5439 Old 05-05-2010, 07:56 AM

After exhaustive research, I have narrowed my choices between these two sets. Both are available for the same cost and I know the pros and cons of each. I just need help with one question: Which would perform better in a room with a lot of ambient light? I have a large family room with two stories of windows without blinds that will be facing the TV. My wife and I do not watch movies during the day...only sports. Which TV would be a better choice for me. To me, the 8500 has a more reflective screen, but would be brighter. The VT25 would have less reflective screen but would be dimmer. I just don't know which one would perform better with my lighting. BTW, I do not want a matte screen. Thanks!
post #315 of 5439 Old 05-05-2010, 05:41 PM

I'm looking for a 32 inch flat panel. I'd like to spend around $500. We'll be sitting about 12 feet from the set. I've been advised that the Sharp Aquos LC32LE700UN is a good model (although a little over our price). Any advice?
post #316 of 5439 Old 05-05-2010, 08:22 PM

Liked: 11
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I am done with plasma for gaming. People can scream as loud as they want at me that plasmas don't burn-in anymore, but they do. I have 3 plasmas with burn-in from gaming, so I'm not willing to shell out good money for yet another plasma that I know I'm just going to ruin.

But there are reasons why I've burned through 3 plasmas and never yet owned an LCD and those are all the picture quality advantages that plasmas have heretofore offered over competing LCD models.

Now, I'm already hopeful that the upcoming 72" Vizio XVT PRO model will be good enough for me to buy as the display that will go in my actual theatre room for 3D movies, regular old 2D Blu-ray, non-"background" TV and yes, gaming. But the truth is that I need a display right now!

To be honest, the TV that I am looking to buy right now will almost be used exclusively for gaming. But my plan is to eventually move it into the bedroom, leave my Kuro plasma in the living room (for regular TV watching) and have the 72" Vizio in the theatre.

So, my criteria for this gaming LCD are as follows:

- a minimum screen size of 55". I'm used to at least 60" and I can't stomach going much smaller.

- a matte screen surface. I HATE glossy screens. I hate seeing reflections of myself or my room or my light sources. And since this TV will eventually go in my bedroom, where there is sunlight during the day and bedside lamps at night, I have to have a matte or at least non-reflective screen surface.

- blacks that are as deep as possible and really good shadow detail. I'm used to a Kuro, people. I know I won't get equally dark black levels as a Kuro, but I'm aiming to get as close as possible!

- a picture mode that won't destroy my gaming experience with lag.

Having super accurate colour is not vital for this display. Appreciated, sure, but not vital. And I couldn't care less about frame interpolation, though I DO want a display that will not have motion blur or pixel lag or image retention.

Most of all, I want to be able to game on this display for as long as I want without the worry of bloody burn-in!

That either means this display must be immune to burn-in, or else be cheap enough that I really just don't care (ie. under or close to $1000). If I'm paying clearly more than a grand, then I don't want burn-in to be a concern. 3 plasmas in 3.5 years is enough already!

So far, I'm looking at three primary candidates:

- The Vizio VF551XVT (or VF552XVT, though the 1XVT has better reviews and I couldn't care less about internet apps, which seem to be the 2XVT's big thing)
- The LG 55LH90
- The Sony KDL60EX500 (or KDL55EX500, though I'd probably lean towards the larger 60" since they're actually pretty close in price).

Those seem to be the LCD displays on the market that come closest to what I'm looking for. But I do not know which one is best and I also know that there might be a better choice out there that I just don't know about!

So please help me out if you can. Any input is appreciated!

Jon
post #317 of 5439 Old 05-05-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwemmy View Post

After exhaustive research, I have narrowed my choices between these two sets. Both are available for the same cost and I know the pros and cons of each. I just need help with one question: Which would perform better in a room with a lot of ambient light? I have a large family room with two stories of windows without blinds that will be facing the TV. My wife and I do not watch movies during the day...only sports. Which TV would be a better choice for me. To me, the 8500 has a more reflective screen, but would be brighter. The VT25 would have less reflective screen but would be dimmer. I just don't know which one would perform better with my lighting. BTW, I do not want a matte screen. Thanks!

@Schwemmy - neither the Panasonic VT25 plasma nor the Samsung B8500 LED-LCD is what I would call a "good" choice for a well-lit room. But they have different downfalls when it comes to their performance in ambient light.

The Panasonic plasma washes out and it does not retain its black levels. This means that the image simply looks "duller" overall and you do not get the same level of perceived contrast.

The Samsung B8500, on the other hand, does not wash out and retains its black levels, but its screen is extremely glossy and reflective, so sunlight, other light sources and your own reflection is highly visible with the B8500's glossy screen.

Some people (such as myself) are extremely annoyed by seeing reflections, but other people are not bothered by them, so it is definitely a matter of personal taste.

Strictly speaking, the B8500's image looks better in ambient light because it retains its contrast. But you have to be able to look past the reflections - and believe me, they are bright and might very well be extremely distracting to you.

My advice would be to go to a store and get a good look at any of the glossy screened LCDs there. Pretty much all of Samsung's current displays use the same sort of highly glossy screen. Take along a flashlight and shine it onto the screen while you are watching. If you can still enjoy the image with the flashlight's reflection showing, then there is no doubt that you will prefer the B8500 over the VT25. On the other hand, if you cannot look past the flashlights reflection, I would caution you away from any glossy screened display.

All of that said, Panasonic's screen is not exactly reflection free. Rather far from it really. But it isn't quite so obviously glossy and super reflective as Samsung's screens, so it's a bit better in that sense. But, as I said, its image will look duller and more washed out in bright lighting.

Hope that helps!
post #318 of 5439 Old 05-06-2010, 09:23 AM

Hi

Looking to purchased a new set UN46B8500 or UN46C8000 or LG LE8500 and I really can't seem to figure out which one to get. Was set on purchasing the B8500, however I just saw the others and really could not see a difference.
Thanks in advance. Not in need of 3D.

1. Budget: Preferably under $2500.
2. Seating distance: 6-10'
3. Size/placement limitations: 46-47" would be best
4. Uses and sources: Dish HDTV/Wii
5. Room lighting: Pretty dark room with few room lights
post #319 of 5439 Old 05-06-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioGirl View Post

Hi

Looking to purchased a new set UN46B8500 or UN46C8000 or LG LE8500 and I really can't seem to figure out which one to get. Was set on purchasing the B8500, however I just saw the others and really could not see a difference.
Thanks in advance. Not in need of 3D.

1. Budget: Preferably under $2500.
2. Seating distance: 6-10'
3. Size/placement limitations: 46-47" would be best
4. Uses and sources: Dish HDTV/Wii
5. Room lighting: Pretty dark room with few room lights

If you can still find a B8500 to purchase, it is technically the best of those 3. If you do not need or want 3D capability, then there is no need to consider the C8000, which has more picture-quality drawbacks than either of the other two.

The LE8500 is very nearly the B8500's equal and actually has better off-axis viewing, which may or may not be important to you. But it does not offer the ability to separate dejudder and deblur the way that the B8500 does and that keeps the B8500 ever so slightly on top in my book.

So, if you can find a B8500, that is the one I would recommend most highly out of those three. If you cannot find the B8500 to buy (since they're in short supply), then the LE8500 is a very close second and certainly a great looking LED-LCD display. The C8000 brings up the rear because it has more picture quality flaws. But if you want 3D, then it's the only option out of those three to offer 3D.

Hope that helps!
post #320 of 5439 Old 05-06-2010, 12:05 PM

Jonathon, Thanks so much for the reply. I looked at the 8500 and some other Samsung screens hanging by a window and it is very reflective. I didn't want a matte screen, but maybe I should reconsider. Any advice on which matte screen LCD would have the best picture/performance. I watch a lot of sports and motion blur is a big concern.
post #321 of 5439 Old 05-06-2010, 09:17 PM

@Schwemmy

I can't say that I'm 100% familiar with every new model that is out there right now, but I'll gladly share my opinions for what they're worth

If you find the reflections shown by glossy screened displays to be distracting (I certainly do), then a matte screened display really is your best choice. In the "old" days, matte screened LCDs used to look as though they had lower contrast and lighter blacks than their glossy-screened sisters. Perhaps this is why you didn't want to get a matte screen LCD at first. But things have changed. With full-array local-dimming LED backlights, LCDs are able to deliver genuinely deep black levels and high contrast. You don't have to worry so much about "tricking" your eye into seeing deeper blacks and higher perceived contrast with a glossy screen the way we did just a couple of years ago. With genuine deep black levels and high contrast, even a matte-screened LCD can appear to retain deep black levels and high contrast in a brightly lit room and it can do so while simultaneously mitigating most of the distracting reflections - best of both worlds

Unfortunately, almost all of the LCD manufacturers have decided to make their 2010 LCDs with glossy screens! For one thing, glossy screen LCDs sold better in previous years (due to the exact reasons that I gave above). I also like to joke that women like the glossy screens better because they act as a mirror when the TV is off

Anywho, if you didn't like the look of a glossy screen next to a sunlit window, then Samsung is basically out as a choice. Sony's higher end 2010 LCDs are also all out of the running and LG's 2010 models are out too! That leaves you with rather few choices, I'm afraid. But there are still a few good options.

Vizio's XVT line is a likely top choice. They don't have perfect colour, but it's close and you'd probably only notice if you actually measured the colour points with a meter or had it sitting right next to a display with perfect colour for comparison. The newest models are the VFxx2XVT line, which really focus on internet widgets, so if you're into those, you'll love the 2XVT line. If you don't care about internet widgets on your TV, the VFxx1XVT line actually has a little bit better performance with deeper blacks and higher contrast. One interesting note is that the 1XVT line actually performs better when you crank up the light output a bit, which should really help you in your well lit room.

With the Vizios, you cannot separate dejudder from deblur. That means that if you use the enhanced motion settings to get as much motion resolution as possible, you also have to accept the "smoothing" or "soap opera effect" at the same time. If sports are your big thing though, you might very well like this look. You get a smoother, more lifelike looking image with sports. And for movies, you can just turn the feature off completely and get perfect cadence for 1080p/24 films.

I like the Vizios quite a lot and they are certainly priced aggressively. So even if you have a few quibbles about the picture, at least you'll know you paid a rock bottom price

LG's local-dimming LED-LCD from 2009 is also a contender. The xxLH90 LED-LCDs have LG's older, matte screen and the local-dimming LED backlight renders deep blacks and high contrast. The backlight seems to fluctuate more noticably on the LH90 models though, and that can be distracting to some people. It has super accurate colour, so that's a plus. But it has the same thing as the Vizio when it comes to dejudder and deblur where you have to activate both at the same time.

Other than those two, you're probably looking at an older Sony model or their current CCFL-backlit model: the EX500 line. I wasn't super impressed by the EX500 that I tried out though. Black levels and contrast were nothing special, colour was typical CCFL Sony (which is to say, tinged blue in dark areas and not exactly accurate anywhere else) and the EX500 had some of the worst off-axis viewing I've seen, which was a bit of a surprise.

Vizio's 3D capable XVT PRO models should be coming out within the next few months (according to them). But we all know how much Vizio likes to miss their target release dates

I have to say that it's a tough choice these days. A couple of years back, the choice was easy and you just went and got a matte-screened Samsung. But these days, the choices are (strangely) more limited and no one seems to be putting out a truly impressive display anymore.

So, to be honest, I'm liking Vizio the best right now because everything in their displays is "good". Pretty much nothing is "great", but at least everything is "good" and that means a display that performs in a balanced way and does so for a very affordable price, which makes the minor short-comings a lot easier to tolerate IMO.

Hope that helps!
post #322 of 5439 Old 05-07-2010, 09:44 AM

I dont see much love for Toshiba around here- any reason for that?

Local BB has a Toshiba REGZA 55ZV650U 55-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV with ClearScan 240, Black display model for sale for 1199- and I think I can get it down a little more.

I didnt get a chance to have someone look to see how many hours have been put on the tv, but the picture is incredible compared to the other TVs around it. (not including the LEDs).

Whats everyones views on buying display models? If I were to buy it, Id pick up the 4 year protection plan for 250- seems like a no brainer to have it with a display model.

I talked to a buddy of mine who has worked at BB for a few years (not in sales- in the installation dept) and he said that Toshibas have problems.

What do you all think? If not this one Ill probably get the Panny S2, 50 inch.
post #323 of 5439 Old 05-07-2010, 06:13 PM

What I need is a good TV under 30 inches that has internet, and can allow me to remap channels (so I could put channel 70 to 3 and stuff like that..move them around)

Any suggestions?
post #324 of 5439 Old 05-08-2010, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointdooly View Post

I am comparing to select one 46" LCD/LED or Plasama from Samsung, Panasonic.

Mainly using for living room TV
- Will connect HTPC via HDMI/DVI/VGA.
- Love to have Internet Widget Feature.
- Love to have Network Streaming (PC Content via Ethernet)
- Love to have other internet service.

I am currently own 3 year old 52" Samsung LN-T5265F(LCD).
Since I love this set(still workig fine), I am kinda royal to Samsung.
The new TV will be another home that I am moving out apart from my family.

- Personally,never consider plasama, but it's first time to think and on my list.
(Since Panasonic strongly stay on the market. BTW Samsung Plasama?)
- Not sure LED vs LCD for picture quality overall.
- Since Samsung has Pannel lottery(Verison),
I am not sure and could not keep track, provide me
THE right info would be GREAT and MANY THANKS!

These are models in my list with lowest price research.

LCD (All prices including S&H & CA Sales Tax)
Samsung LN46C630 | @$ 930 | NEW
Samsung LN46C650 | @$1045 | NEW
Samsung LN46C670 | @$1285 | NEW (BestBuy Only Model)
Samsung LN46B750 | @$1150 | Refub (2009 7 Series Model)
Samsung LN46A850 | @$1120 | Refub (2009 8 Series Model)

LED
Samsung UN46B6000 | @$1105 | Refub
Samsung UN46B7000 | @$1382 | Refub
Samsung UN46C6300 | @$1400 | New ( Over the budget. )
Samsung UN46C5000 | @$1279 | New ( Over the budget. )

Plasama
Panasonic TC-P46G25 | @$1153 | New

or any other model you would suggest?
Total budget limit $1300.
About to plan BB store to make the final decision LCD vs LED soon.
Current high rank in my mind is Samsung LN46C650.

I would really appreciate all your suggestions and inputs!

Thanks.

I have the same tv as yours which I recently serviced due to bad power supply caps(it works like new now). I love my tv but have you checked out the new Sharp quattron hd-tv's? They look very impressive with its RGBY technology. I might get that tv way down the road if budget permits.
post #325 of 5439 Old 05-09-2010, 12:41 PM

1. Budget
$500-700
2. Seating distance
5-6 feet
3. Size/placement limitations
32-maybe 37 inches
4. Uses and sources
Playing Xbox 360 games, watching standard definition DVD movies, and basic cable.
5. Room lighting
Dim incandescent light

This will be my first HD TV ever, it's for the bedroom, I really don't want to go the wall mounted route, and my entertainment center will probably only fit a 32 inch TV.Plus, I want to sit in my chair and look straight into the screen when I play video games.The Sony 32 inch EX400 had good reviews, but the picture looked horrible when I viewed it at BestBuy yesterday....
post #326 of 5439 Old 05-09-2010, 10:50 PM

1. Budget
Around $1000

2. Seating distance
6-10 ft

32 inch

4. Uses and sources
For DVD, Blue-rays, PS3, PS2 and regular watching tv

5. Room lighting
Dim to dark, only one lamp inside the bedroom

The tv is for the bedroom, before thinking EX700 but it's out on amazon. Also thinking about samsung or LG, any suggestion? Looking for a nice thin type tv.
post #327 of 5439 Old 05-10-2010, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Teller View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I am done with plasma for gaming. People can scream as loud as they want at me that plasmas don't burn-in anymore, but they do. I have 3 plasmas with burn-in from gaming, so I'm not willing to shell out good money for yet another plasma that I know I'm just going to ruin.

But there are reasons why I've burned through 3 plasmas and never yet owned an LCD and those are all the picture quality advantages that plasmas have heretofore offered over competing LCD models.

Now, I'm already hopeful that the upcoming 72" Vizio XVT PRO model will be good enough for me to buy as the display that will go in my actual theatre room for 3D movies, regular old 2D Blu-ray, non-"background" TV and yes, gaming. But the truth is that I need a display right now!

To be honest, the TV that I am looking to buy right now will almost be used exclusively for gaming. But my plan is to eventually move it into the bedroom, leave my Kuro plasma in the living room (for regular TV watching) and have the 72" Vizio in the theatre.

So, my criteria for this gaming LCD are as follows:

- a minimum screen size of 55". I'm used to at least 60" and I can't stomach going much smaller.

- a matte screen surface. I HATE glossy screens. I hate seeing reflections of myself or my room or my light sources. And since this TV will eventually go in my bedroom, where there is sunlight during the day and bedside lamps at night, I have to have a matte or at least non-reflective screen surface.

- blacks that are as deep as possible and really good shadow detail. I'm used to a Kuro, people. I know I won't get equally dark black levels as a Kuro, but I'm aiming to get as close as possible!

- a picture mode that won't destroy my gaming experience with lag.

Having super accurate colour is not vital for this display. Appreciated, sure, but not vital. And I couldn't care less about frame interpolation, though I DO want a display that will not have motion blur or pixel lag or image retention.

Most of all, I want to be able to game on this display for as long as I want without the worry of bloody burn-in!

That either means this display must be immune to burn-in, or else be cheap enough that I really just don't care (ie. under or close to $1000). If I'm paying clearly more than a grand, then I don't want burn-in to be a concern. 3 plasmas in 3.5 years is enough already!

So far, I'm looking at three primary candidates:

- The Vizio VF551XVT (or VF552XVT, though the 1XVT has better reviews and I couldn't care less about internet apps, which seem to be the 2XVT's big thing)
- The LG 55LH90
- The Sony KDL60EX500 (or KDL55EX500, though I'd probably lean towards the larger 60" since they're actually pretty close in price).

Those seem to be the LCD displays on the market that come closest to what I'm looking for. But I do not know which one is best and I also know that there might be a better choice out there that I just don't know about!

So please help me out if you can. Any input is appreciated!

Jon

When you find a set that is only $1000 and meets all of the criteria above, please let me know. lol
post #328 of 5439 Old 05-10-2010, 11:01 AM

I haven't posted/talked on here in years due to real life problems & money, but I'm looking to upgrade from my CRT HDTV to a nice smaller LCD/LED HDTV.

1. Budget
Cheap as possible?

2. Seating distance
6-10 ft

26 inch

4. Uses and sources
GAMING! Lot's of gaming! I need something that has no lag. WDTV Live, Netflix, bluray, & HDTV Cable.

5. Room lighting
Dim to dark.

Thanks anyone that can help.
post #329 of 5439 Old 05-10-2010, 02:14 PM

Hi guys,

i need a little help in chosing wich tv i'm buying.
panasonic tx-p50vt20 with yamaha ysp-5100 sound projector or samsung ue55c8700 with samsung hw-c450 soundbar
i will use my tv mainly with my dreambox 500hd and my htpc in wich i have blu-ray
post #330 of 5439 Old 05-10-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumms View Post

Budget= less than $500
Seating distance = 7-10 feet
Uses and sources = HD gaming and SD tv watching

So far I've been looking at these models. Which you guys go for?

Panasonic TC-L32X2
LG 32LD350
Sony BRAVIA EX308

Any others to look at?

Did you end up going with the LG? I am also thinking of Panasonic TC-L32C22 - it is $30 more. Both get great reviews. The LG has a debate of being 1080p even though it says 720p (other thread)

I dont like that the LG has controls on the top but I like that it has a usb input over the Panasonic SD card slot.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page