the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 118 - AVS Forum
First ... 116  117  118 119  120  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > the "help me choose an LCD" thread
nathan_h's Avatar nathan_h 07:43 PM 01-29-2012
Hmmmm. Methinks this thread is just a way to keep these kind of posts out of other threads or from being new threads.... but it's really mostly a one way dialog :-)

Jben04's Avatar Jben04 09:35 AM 02-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Hmmmm. Methinks this thread is just a way to keep these kind of posts out of other threads or from being new threads.... but it's really mostly a one way dialog :-)

looks like its working then
TheCleaner's Avatar TheCleaner 09:13 PM 02-02-2012
Looking for a 46" to 55" LED/LCD

Sitting 8-12 feet away

Budget is under $1200

ONLY thing I care about. It has an EPG (electronic program guide) for OTA broadcasts beyond the simple info for the current channel.
Gorrath's Avatar Gorrath 02:43 PM 02-05-2012
I'm about to buy a new TV for my bedroom so I don't wanna pay too much.
Right now I'm considering the LG 42LV3500 and the LG 42LV4400.

I saw those 2 TVs on sale today and they were both 549$
I thought the LG 42LV4400 would be better since the number is higher and it's 120HZ but I just looked at both TV specs and noticed the 42LV3500 has a contrast ratio of 3 000 000: 1 while the 42LV4400 only has 100 000: 1.

So, is it better to have a low contrast and a better refresh rate or a better contrast with a lower refresh rate?

Is there any other major differences between those two TVs I should know?

Is there any other good TVs in that price range I should look at?

EDIT: I saw some people talking about the LG 42LK450. How does it compare to the 42LV3500 and the 42LV4400?

Thanks

Patrick
jonicarter's Avatar jonicarter 04:32 PM 02-07-2012
Budget ~$800 max

Distance ~7'

Uses Bluray, Xbox 360, HD cable

I'm looking for a new TV. I recently had my 46" Samsung D6000 stolen, so it's replacement time. I'm looking for something different though because I was never super satisfied with the Samsung, and the flashlighting from the edle LED was awful, even on the 2nd one I got.

I picked up a Sony 46" BX420 @ Best Buy this weekend, and after calibrating it, there is something off with the image that drives me nuts. There also seems to be persistat mosquito noise on any large, single color backgrounds I can't tweak out. It's not the worst thing ever, and I still prefer the image to the D6000 I am replacing, but I feel like there are better options for the $$, even if it means stepping down in size. So now, I'm thinking I should look into something else, and am willing to drop down to a 40-42" set since I'm only 7' away from the set. I'm looking at:

LG 42" vl5500
Samsung 40" D630
Sony 40" EX720

or just keeping my 46" if the concensus is that these won't be a major step up worth losing the 46" screen size for. I've poured through the threads for the sets, so I've got a good idea of their pros and cons. I'm hoping someone has experience with more than one of these sets and can offer some input.

Any thoughts?
anervoustwitch's Avatar anervoustwitch 04:01 PM 02-08-2012
1. Budget: 1k-2k
2. Seating distance: ~7ft
3. Size/placement limitations: on top of a media stand ~3 feet from the floor. no width/height restrictions.
4. Uses and sources:

ps3 for bluray, netflix and stored movie streaming, some in HD, some DVD rips, very light gaming.
tivo HD for live tv and streaming

5. Room lighting: anywhere from full sun to cave like. (usually on the cave side). i cannot tolerate reflective displays regardless of lighting.

current panel is an 32" XBR1, which has been great. its getting a little dim, is only 720p though, so im looking to move on.

the KDL46HX729 looks really nice (even though it has 3d) - anything better in this range available?

would like to have:

120 or 240hz and other aspects that make movie viewing a better experience
1080p
>=2 HDMI inputs
itd be nice if it didnt run quite as hot as the XBR i have now.

not opposed to:
LED backlighting (yes, i read the sticky thread)

dont care about:
3d
network doodads unless its hdmi over IP, or a nextflix/amazon streaming
SoulShadow's Avatar SoulShadow 09:47 PM 02-10-2012
This probably won't get viewed ever but, I can try.

1. Budget: $650 or less

2. Seating: 10 feet maximum distance.

3. None, but 1080p

4. HD Cable, 1080p movie streaming, PS3.

5. Reflective bad. Sits opposite a bay window, reflective bad.

Hopefully someone reads this and can recommend something, been looking at the Bravia w/ Google TV.
cbrducati's Avatar cbrducati 04:45 AM 02-12-2012
I want a screen that is at least 20".

Budget is about $300 more or less.

At least 720p or 1080i

I don't wany any type of Wi-Fi or anything like that in it.

The main use of the TV is for Playstation 3, which I am planning on buying, so I want something that has a good picture for games and Blu-Rays.

I have a 13" 720p Craig brand TV that I received on Christmas, but I want a larger screen and it doesn't have that good of a picture, especially with scenes that are dark. It isn't nearly as good as the 30" 1080i Philips that I used to use.
BigSetter's Avatar BigSetter 10:22 AM 02-13-2012

3. None, but 1080p

Hopefully someone reads this and can recommend something, been looking at the Bravia w/ Google TV.

If you re doing any console gaming don't buy the G TV. I'm stuck with one intended for playing x box MW3... The input lag is off the chart! And I refuse to play on it until I can afford to buy a new one. Check out Sony s e support... Search latency or input lag! Its pretty dissappointing. Sony told me they don't intend to fix the issue anytime soon.
I'm looking at Panasonic s, myself.
thelastbigfall's Avatar thelastbigfall 12:05 PM 02-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulShadow View Post

3. None, but 1080p

I recently bought an LG 42LK450 and I am loving it so far. It was under $600. Its main use is gaming (PS3/360) and after doing a basic calibration with the AVS HD 709 disc I am very happy with the picture.

I did get the IPS panel. Local Best Buy so I was able to verify that the box code was CUSY (and not the VA panel's CUSD) so there is that. I am not sure if you have that option, but input lag is better with the IPS panel.

Great for gaming so far!
Greg_R's Avatar Greg_R 01:19 PM 02-15-2012
1. Budget: < $1k, not including wall mount hardware
2. Seating distance: between 5 & 9ft
3. Size/placement limitations: Wall mount required; 42"-46" size is OK (set is for the bedroom)
4. Uses and sources: TV in bedroom. Requirements:
- A good ATSC tuner; the antenna signal is distributed via coax.
- Wi-Fi + Netflix streaming
- Some form of 2ch audio out is required to drive headphones (can be rear-panel RCA line-out but volume-adjustable headphone jack is ideal)
- 1 HDMI input for DVD/Bluray video & audio
- Zero interest in 3D tech
- the speakers in the panel will be used @ low volume (dialog needs to be clear)
5. Room lighting: overhead lighting or dark, minimal sunlight

The headphones and DVD/Bluray player will be mounted near the bed so the cables will be routed under the carpet to the TV across the room. The TV will be wall mounted.

I'm leaning toward the Sharp LC40LE830U based on some preliminary searches but am wondering if there are additional options I should be investigating?
armand1's Avatar armand1 01:56 PM 02-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCleaner View Post

Looking for a 46" to 55" LED/LCD

Sitting 8-12 feet away

Budget is under $1200

ONLY thing I care about. It has an EPG (electronic program guide) for OTA broadcasts beyond the simple info for the current channel.

I had similar criteria as you did.
I got the Samsung UN46D6420 at BestBuy for under $1k.
I picked the Samsung just because of the OTA tuner. The tuner is faster (to change channels) and easier to use than Sony or Panasonic. I haven't seen any one of these that has EPG. With the Samsung you can scan up to several hours ahead too see what is coming up and details about the show. I haven't seen EPG since the old digital set top box days. But I recall that Samsung and LG were the ones who created the standards for digital OTA tuners in early years of 2000. I never considered an LG becasue of poor picture quality, but maybe LGs have EPG.
sd13's Avatar sd13 01:58 AM 02-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by William88 View Post

Ok so I am looking to replace my XBR4 my budget is $3000.00.
1. What will be the equivalent of the XBR4 series
2. Is the NX800 good enough in specs compared to the xbr4 I had before

Please and thank you in advance.

i used to own an xbr4 and let me tell you..my new sony nx720 which is a step below the hx820 blows the xbr4 to pieces in all areas.
Arphahat's Avatar Arphahat 06:09 PM 02-17-2012
1. Budget
Around $1k.

2. Seating distance
About 12 feet away.

3. Size/placement limitations
Looking at the chart, linked in the beginning, I am thinking about 55 to 60 inches.

The screen will be in our family room on the wide shelving above our gas fireplace. It will sit 58 inches high, about 5 feet.

4. Uses and sources
Watching recorded TV, want to be able to easily connect to internet for YouTube, Amazon Prime, Hulu and Netflix. Video games as well. Am NOT interested in 3D, but "smart" TVs are probably preferred.

5. Room lighting
There are windows behind where the TV will be, but not tons of lighting hitting the screen itself.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated, as I don't really know much about the latest TVs. Something my brother mentioned was the 240hz TVs... is this important?
SoulShadow's Avatar SoulShadow 11:02 PM 02-17-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbigfall View Post

I recently bought an LG 42LK450 and I am loving it so far. It was under $600. Its main use is gaming (PS3/360) and after doing a basic calibration with the AVS HD 709 disc I am very happy with the picture.

I did get the IPS panel. Local Best Buy so I was able to verify that the box code was CUSY (and not the VA panel's CUSD) so there is that. I am not sure if you have that option, but input lag is better with the IPS panel.

Great for gaming so far!

I'm actually looking at the LG 42LV3500. It seems to be a 'higher end' model than the LK series ones? I could be mistaken.
thelastbigfall's Avatar thelastbigfall 01:56 AM 02-18-2012
Not mistaken, that is a LED-LCD model, that would be the big difference!
simplefruit's Avatar simplefruit 12:03 AM 02-21-2012
1. Budget
250 CND but can be convinced to go to 300$

2. Seating distance
2' to 2.5' feet. Sure, 5' feet if a friend comes over- but this is a one man show for now. Solo watching.

3. Size/placement limitations
I only have enough room for no more than 30"
The tv would be right next to my iMac so I can watch TV while I work. The iMac is 27"

4. Uses and sources
Mostly to run Netflix and UseNET while I draw and use my computer. But also to turn off my iMac, sit back, and game comfortably.

I will need a component cable jack and at least 1 HDMI port. (I have a 3 in 1 HDMI splitter for my Xbox and PS3, the Wii will take the component cable)

5. Room lighting
A light bulbe about 7.5' / 8' off the ground and about 6' away from the sceen.

As I was typing this it became apparent that it's sort of sacrilege. To set up a 27ish" LCD next to a 27" monitor. It's sort of goes against the whole philosophy of home theater.

I could grab a: ATLONA HDMI/MINI DISPLAYPORT TO MINI DISPLAYPORT SCALER AND SWITCHER for 300$ CND and use my iMac as monitor for my games but I wouldn't be able to watch TV while I draw. Right now I use an iMac and you may notice that adapter is pretty much my price range for a new TV.

Hope you guys can help!
tvtyme's Avatar tvtyme 06:16 PM 02-21-2012
1. Budget - $300

2. 5' to 7' ft (give or take)?

3. 32" 720p

4. Cable and DVD movies (I don't think the digital cable box is HD...not sure)

Here are the main TVs I'm looking at because of price ($300 approx.)
Sony DL32BX310 ($330) or LG 32LK330 or Samsung LN32C350 (both $300 + tax)

The plan is to get an audio receiver later on with speakers. The lighting isn't the greatest.

Can anyone recommend out of those three? Thanks for any suggestions.
rockos18's Avatar rockos18 07:00 PM 02-22-2012
Hey guys need advice.

UN55D7900XF

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55D7900XFXZA

any opinions or other thoughts on different tv's?

budget max $3300
will use for ps3/bluray
comcast HDTV mostly
sd13's Avatar sd13 12:04 AM 02-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockos18 View Post

Hey guys need advice.

UN55D7900XF

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55D7900XFXZA

any opinions or other thoughts on different tv's?

budget max $3300
will use for ps3/bluray
comcast HDTV mostly

get the sony xbr55hx929. Much better tv.
rockos18's Avatar rockos18 09:43 PM 02-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post

get the sony xbr55hx929. Much better tv.

tell me why the sony is better?

have been leaning toward samsung but I am open minded. all my non flatpanel tv have been sony.
eshelon's Avatar eshelon 09:48 AM 02-28-2012
Hello all! First time posting here but have been browsing on avsforum for a while. I'm looking for a new TV to replace my 65" Mitsubishi DLP that is just not cutting it anymore. From the original post, I want to provide as much detail as I can to get the best recommendations from the gurus here!

1. Budget: Would like to stay within the $1500-2000 range if possible.

2. Seating distance: Approximately 7-10 feet from the screen.

3. Size/placement limitations: I'd like to stay within 50-60" if possible (quality over size though).

4. Uses and sources: Primary use is with DirecTV, AppleTV, Sony PS3, and XBOX 360. The PS3 would be a BluRay player for me as well and 3D would be a plus but only if it's passive (I have an active Samsung now and hate the active technology for 3D). 1080p is a must.

5. Room lighting: This is most important. The current setup has my TV facing the windows that let light into the room during the day. The current DLP doesn't have good brightness and therefore dark scenes on shows/movies/games tend to get completely lost from sight. I need something that has good anti-glare and strong brightness if possible. Other than that, we have two lamps in the room at night but that's it.

Additional Info:

The biggest thing I'm looking for from this is a good quality picture. From a gaming perspective, I have another area in the house that I tend to game in more that has a basic monitor with good response time. So I wouldn't be AS concerned about input lag on this new TV for my main viewing area as I am concerned about overall quality.

So far all my research has pointed me towards the LG Infinia series of TVs, but before I go out and make a purchase, I was hoping to get some additional feedback here. Feel free to ask questions and if a picture of the setup area would help, I'd be more than happy to post it. Thanks and I'm looking forward to your feedback!
sd13's Avatar sd13 03:15 PM 03-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockos18 View Post

tell me why the sony is better?

have been leaning toward samsung but I am open minded. all my non flatpanel tv have been sony.

Better black levels, more natural looking colors, better skin tone, and no big blotches of white clouds and flashlights on a black background that you will find on the samsung. I cant say enough about how great the black levels are on the sony. Sometimes when the background is completely black you will actually think the tv is off.
bareyb's Avatar bareyb 04:11 PM 03-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post

Better black levels, more natural looking colors, better skin tone, and no big blotches of white clouds and flashlights on a black background that you will find on the samsung. I cant say enough about how great the black levels are on the sony. Sometimes when the background is completely black you will actually think the tv is off.

I have to agree. We bought one of them for the bedroom and I'm finding myself making excuses to watch TV in the bedroom now. It's nothing short of spectacular. The realism on the Sony is crazy good. I had some regrets when everyone gave me grief about spending two grand on a TV, but once I got that bad boy hooked up, I've never looked back. By FAR the most amazing picture I've ever seen in my life. It's shockingly good.

FWIW, I have absolutely no complaints or any of the reported problems. ALL TV's have bad reports on the Internet, it's almost become worse to read about purchases first because it messes with your head so much.

If I were you, I'd drop by Best Buy (or similar) and play with the settings on both a little. For me, there's no comparison. The Sony kicks it's ass. Better blacks, better color, brighter picture, more realistic looking "people" (once you adjust it). Better Menu system. The ONLY downside is the price and I think a lot of folks are kidding themselves. I think in a BLIND test (hide the brand), 90% would pick the Sony.

People can say what they will, but I personally think a lot of the Samsung purchases over Sony are because of price. Nothing else makes sense to me. The Sony isn't just a little bit better, it's a LOT better. It's the only one with Full Array Backlighting and that makes all the difference. It's one reason the blacks are so much blacker. With full array backlighting they can dim and brighten the entire background (or just certain areas of the background) and not just try to influence it from the SIDE as in the Samsungs. Full array backlighting is what you are paying the extra money for, and in my opinion it's worth it if you REALLY want the BEST in picture quality.
DiamondTear's Avatar DiamondTear 12:04 PM 03-02-2012
1. Budget: 1000-3000
2. Seating distance: Can be adjusted to be optimal for 40-47"
4. Uses and sources: Connected to a real PC with HDMI. Uses: Movies, TV-series, anime, rarely games.
5. Room lighting: Dark

I'm looking for the best LED Back-lit TV to minimize clouding. Has to be watchable (not pristine) from any horizontal angle.
enormus's Avatar enormus 07:52 PM 03-02-2012
Budget: 1000 - 1500
Seating distance: ~10 ft; looking at 55" models
Uses and sources: Mostly HD cable, some streaming, need GOOD built in speakers
Lighting: reflective not an issue

I'm looking for a reasonably priced 55" LCD to mount over a fireplace. I would prefer built-in apps/streaming but might skip in favor of a Boxee or Roku device. I don't want a lot of components cluttering up the family room (new house has a dedicated media room). This is just for casual viewing. Don't need 3D or surround but want decent built-in speakers so I don't need a soundbar. Modest styling would also be a plus.
Vekrander's Avatar Vekrander 01:22 PM 03-09-2012
1. I'm looking for a 55" 1080p TV for around $1000

2. This will be around 8-12 feet depending on which couch in my living room we're sitting on.

3. I have an entertainment center but the TV will be on top. I forsee no placement or size issues, although in the future, it's possible this set will move to another room where it will be wall mounted.

4. The main purpose will be to display content in an enjoyable viewing quality. I have a separate sound system and the main device attached will be a media center PC with a Ceton InfiniTV 4 for cable, DVR, light gaming and blu ray. I'll also be attaching a wii, xbox, and from time to time, a laptop. This makes picture quality my largest concern, though I understand my budget will likely offer few choices there. I'm unconcerned about internet connectivity, netfix, or web features with the TV as that's already better experienced through the Media Center. I'm also unconcerned with 3D or motion effects (I'd prefer no "soap opera effect" and have no sources that are better than 60 hz, so I'm not sure why they try and push 120 or 240).

5. There's a single overhead light, but I often turn it off for movie watching. I might put in some lamps for softer light. Either way, it's not much of a concern as it's a downstairs room with 2 side windows under a deck so there's no direct sunlight to offer glare.

Right now I'm most likely to grab one of the Vizio 55" screens from costco (they have 2 models under 1k). I was just wondering if there might be anything else in that range that's competitive. Also around here is a sears, walmart, target, h.h. Gregg, and best buy in case they might have anything worth while. I'm wary of vizio's quality but a fan of costco's ease of return and replacement if needed. My room mate currently has a 3 year old 47" vizio LCD there and it's served well with no issues. I would presume a new visio edge lit LED @55" would be an improvement. I'm still wary of today's TVs and their motion effects, which I'm not a fan of on my father's Aquos.

Any suggestions?
steved1961's Avatar steved1961 04:31 PM 03-09-2012
I need to get a new TV this weekend. Locally I can get the Vizio M3D650SV or the Sharp LC-60E832U for the same price. Is there any reason to pick one over the other? The Vizio is 65" has 3D and seems like a better remote. The Sharp is 60" and has Yellow? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Steved61
Ocahui's Avatar Ocahui 03:27 PM 03-10-2012
Looking for an inexpensive LCD for the BR. 32" max. 1080 would be nice, but 720 is good enough. It will not be used for extended viewing. I want a drop-in replacement for my current setup, which includes audio output to a stereo amp. (The current set is a Sony tube set, but I obviously must go digital now) Not looking to remodel the house, buy new furniture, throw away my amp and speakers, or anything else just to replace the teevee in the BR.

Half the mfr sites don't even mention sound in the specs, and NONE of them have audio listed in their indexing tools.

Any advice welcome on either late model sets that feature analog stereo out, or where to go to find that kind of specs, or if I will need to find a 5 year old set or whatever.
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar PlasmaPZ80U 04:08 PM 03-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocahui View Post

Looking for an inexpensive LCD for the BR. 32" max. 1080 would be nice, but 720 is good enough. It will not be used for extended viewing. I want a drop-in replacement for my current setup, which includes audio output to a stereo amp. (The current set is a Sony tube set, but I obviously must go digital now) Not looking to remodel the house, buy new furniture, throw away my amp and speakers, or anything else just to replace the teevee in the BR.

Half the mfr sites don't even mention sound in the specs, and NONE of them have audio listed in their indexing tools.

Any advice welcome on either late model sets that feature analog stereo out, or where to go to find that kind of specs, or if I will need to find a 5 year old set or whatever.

LG 32LK450 or Samsung LN32D550, both are 32" 1080p 60Hz CCFL-LCD TVs
Tags: Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
First ... 116  117  118 119  120  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop