I'm looking for 2 LCDs, one for the kitchen and one as a main living room entertainment center.First the kitchen
1. Budget: ~$200, give or take a little
2. Seating distance: It's for the kitchen!
3. Size/Placement: I figure 22" is about right. Don't plan on mounting it, just a typical pedestal would be fine
4. Usage: For the wife while she is cooking. Nothing fancy, I'll probably hook up a Comcast digital adapter to it so it might not even have an HD signal on it most of the time. I will use it occasionally as a gaming monitor to bring over to a friend's house so 1080p would be preferred, but not absolutely necessary. HDMI is a must though.
5. Room lighting: kitchen light?
I don't think this matters too much.
I'm very interested in the Vizio LED Razor LCDs, anyone have any good experience with those? I read some reviews and they seem ok for what I'm looking for and right about my price range too. I'm ok with some off brands for this set too, as long as it doesn't have reliability issues.Living Room
1. Budget ~$1500. If the TV is total kick ass, I might consider going a few hundred more, but I'd like to stay close to $1500.
2. Seating distance: 8-10ft.
3. Size/Placement: 55" would be great, but 52" would work too. Don't plan on mounting it on the wall right now, but maybe I will in future, for now it will just stand on a TV stand
4. Usage: Movies (DVD and Bluray), video games (ps3, xbox360, wii), HDTV cablebox, HTPC. 1080p and 120Hz is a must, but I'm a little ambivalent on 240Hz, I wonder if it's really necessary. LED backlight is preferred, mainly for longevity of the TV. I can probably tolerate less than stellar black levels more than the typical AVSforum junkie seeing how I've lived with my 2005 Sharp Aquos with "poor by today's standards" black levels for 5 years now.
5. Room lighting: Will be pretty dark most of the time, no direct sunlight through the windows. Room has dimable recessed lighting.
I've only owned Sharp LCDs in the past but recent Sharp sets don't seem to have gotten stellar reviews so I'm open to trying other brands, namely Samsung, LG, Toshiba. I am staying away from Sony for the most part because I think their price to performance ratio is too high.
Any advice or opinions will be appreciated!