the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 6011 Old 06-29-2010, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I am looking for a 40-60" screen , not sure if LCD or plasma, would like to get the best, my budget is flexible, but would like to get he best for the buck

1. Budget- flexible
2. Seating distance-8'-10' feet
3. Size/placement limitations- 40"-60"
4. Uses and sources-looking for the best overall, with minimal lag
5. Room lighting-fair light, not too bright

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 6011 Old 06-29-2010, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by homecinema3 View Post

Hi,
I am looking for a 40-60" screen , not sure if LCD or plasma, would like to get the best, my budget is flexible, but would like to get he best for the buck

1. Budget- flexible
4. Uses and sources-looking for the best overall, with minimal lag
5. Room lighting-fair light, not too bright

thanks

Saying your budget is flexible isn't really saying much. Is it flexible between $1,000 and $2,500 or flexible between $2,500 and $5,000 or higher? It does make a difference if you really want help.
post #453 of 6011 Old 06-29-2010, 05:46 PM

Hey guys, looking to get either the 42" Vizio E420VL, or the 46" Sharp LC46SB54U.

Thoughts/suggestions/opinions/insults?

Thanks in advance...
post #454 of 6011 Old 06-30-2010, 06:36 AM

Boiler Jim, I see your point, so I am going to narrow it down, I would say my budget is $1000-2500

so again:
1. Budget- $1000-2500
4. Uses and sources-Computer screen, Powerpoint, Websites, Youtube videos, looking for the best deal
5. Room lighting-fair light, not too bright not too dark

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Saying your budget is flexible isn't really saying much. Is it flexible between $1,000 and $2,500 or flexible between $2,500 and $5,000 or higher? It does make a difference if you really want help.

post #455 of 6011 Old 06-30-2010, 11:32 PM

Need help picking my next TV. Any reply's will be much appreciated. I recently purchased an HD PVR to record my video games to my PC, but the 480p my current standard TV is putting out isn't cutting it. On with the survey...

1. Budget - I would like to keep it under $600 IF POSSIBLE. If I can't meet my needs with this budget please let me know.
2. Seat Distance - ~8'
3. Size - At least 32''. Would like ~40'' if possible with my price range, but I'm not sure if it's do-able.
4. Uses and sources - Gaming ( lowest input lag and blur as possible plz<3) and general television watching. Will be hooked up to cable box and my XBOX 360. If I can I will run my cable through HDMI, but with the pvr my xbox will have to stay connected through composites.
5. Lighting - Room is decently lit and always will be. Hate watching tv/gaming in the dark.

I also had a question. The HD PVR I have can record in only 480p, 720p, and 1080i. I will not be able to play my game and record at the same time at 1080p. Because of this, I will not be opposed to a 720p set, as long as it looks good .

Thanks for any help! <3 this forum
post #456 of 6011 Old 07-01-2010, 06:58 AM

1. Budget - $3000 USD
2. Seat Distance - ~10'
3. Size - At least 50" + (55 ideal)
4. Uses and sources - directtv hd
5. Lighting - quite a bit of light

I'd buy the samsung 8500 but I can't find it anywhere.

I plan to wall mount it in a nice room so I'd like a led ultra slim type. That's all.
post #457 of 6011 Old 07-01-2010, 09:46 AM

1. Budget: up to $5,000
2. Seating distance: 13 feet from screen to eyeballs
3. Size: 50" to 58"
4. Uses/Sources: sports (football,basketball), movies, Wii games, SageTV
5. Room lighting: wall of windows behind seating area; can be dark at night (duh!)

Will purchase around Labor Day when new furniture arrives. Not too excited about 3-D, but I may wish I had 3-D in a couple of years when there is lots of content.

Any advice is most welcome.

Rick
post #458 of 6011 Old 07-01-2010, 12:58 PM

1. Budget: $600 max, would like to keep under $500
  2. Seating Distance: 8 feet (when seated in living room) to 15 feet (working in kitchen overlooking living room)
  3. Size: Cannot fit larger than 42" tv. Don't want anything less than 37".
  4. Uses & Sources: Roku Netflix HD, non-HD tv broadcasts, standard def and HD Divx files
  5. Room Lighting: Varies... three windows (with no blinds and/or curtains) and overhead lighting however much of the viewing will be done at night with lights off

I'm open to suggestions however due the combination of my limited budget and desire to get no less than 37" things seem a bit limited. Also not sure I can go above 37" given budget. I'm no expert but based on my research it seems that Vizio offers decent bang for buck in this price range. In particular I've found two models that seem promising... the VL370M and the E370VL.

The VL370M is a year old now but seems like it was a mid-higher end Vizio model when introduced and the E370VL while newer seems to be an entry level model. However, as I said before, I'm no expert so I was hoping for some input as to which is a better tv (ignoring price... simply on performance).

Also looking for adice on how to buy. Both can be had new for $500 (plus tax, free shipping). The VL370M offers some potential savings if I'm willing to buy a used or refurbished tv. Refurbished is $400. Used ("These items are returns from a major retailer. They have been tested and passed for functionality. They are generally quite clean cosmetically but a few may have minor frame scuffs. The box may have some tape marks on it.") from an ebay seller with lots of good feedback selling used tvs is $360 shipped. Is a 20% discount for refurbished or 28% discount for buying used is fair?
post #459 of 6011 Old 07-01-2010, 01:51 PM

I went out and bought a Dynex (Best Buy house brand) LCD, 24" screen. It has audio outputs but not video outputs. I think I have got everything wired the way I like it and can record video from any of my sources.

I do have some questions about some other things related to this tv but I will ask them in another more appropriate thread.
post #460 of 6011 Old 07-01-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iki Jime View Post

1. Budget: $600 max, would like to keep under $500
  2. Seating Distance: 8 feet (when seated in living room) to 15 feet (working in kitchen overlooking living room)
  3. Size: Cannot fit larger than 42" tv. Don't want anything less than 37".
  4. Uses & Sources: Roku Netflix HD, non-HD tv broadcasts, standard def and HD Divx files
  5. Room Lighting: Varies... three windows (with no blinds and/or curtains) and overhead lighting however much of the viewing will be done at night with lights off

I'm open to suggestions however due the combination of my limited budget and desire to get no less than 37" things seem a bit limited. Also not sure I can go above 37" given budget. I'm no expert but based on my research it seems that Vizio offers decent bang for buck in this price range. In particular I've found two models that seem promising... the VL370M and the E370VL.

The VL370M is a year old now but seems like it was a mid-higher end Vizio model when introduced and the E370VL while newer seems to be an entry level model. However, as I said before, I'm no expert so I was hoping for some input as to which is a better tv (ignoring price... simply on performance).

Also looking for adice on how to buy. Both can be had new for $500 (plus tax, free shipping). The VL370M offers some potential savings if I'm willing to buy a used or refurbished tv. Refurbished is $400. Used ("These items are returns from a major retailer. They have been tested and passed for functionality. They are generally quite clean cosmetically but a few may have minor frame scuffs. The box may have some tape marks on it.") from an ebay seller with lots of good feedback selling used tvs is $360 shipped. Is a 20% discount for refurbished or 28% discount for buying used is fair?

I would get the newer model Vizio. Refurbs may have problems and you dont want to mess with shipping it back. Try Costco for the newer model Vizio and get a 2 year warranty included in the price.
post #461 of 6011 Old 07-01-2010, 08:51 PM

Hi!

Have lurked for a couple months. Mainly looking at speakers, but I took care of that, so now TV's

Have been sitting around waiting for that Vizio like a lot of people and when it was cancelled, I guess I figured it was time to start shopping. Hopefully an expert or two can make some recommendations.

Budget:
Prefer <$2500
Can do $3000
Can maybe push to $3500 if there is an exceptional tv that is soooo worth going the extra couple hundred.

Seating Distance:
12ish feet

Size:
60"+

Uses & Sources:
HD: PS3/360, BluRay and Television. (Very infrequently: PC gaming or streaming of video)
Non-HD: Netflix, Wii & Television.

All routed through a receiver with HDMI. Poor audio on the tv, itself, isn't an issue.

Room Lighting:
Usually pretty dark. No windows on the opposite side of the room. In fact, at the moment, no real windows in the room to speak of....but its interconnected with the dining room and a "sun" room of sorts. That'll probably change with some remodeling but the back yard has a large pecan tree near the back of the house, so I doubt any direct sunlight shining in.

I've been bitten by the LED bug, but with some convincing, LCD is possible. I have a 52" LCD phillips (52PFL7422D) that I really know nothing about. Got it a couple years ago with no research....just went to Sams and got it with a check from Sylvania (Our first flat panel....a plasma that developed a pink line down the middle. Can't complain, though. They cut us a check for the purchase price two years after we bought it)The whites washout when playing FIFA 10, I know that much.

Anyways, looking to move it somewhere else and get a new centerpiece for the living room.

Thanks!
post #462 of 6011 Old 07-02-2010, 11:20 AM

I am replacing two televisions, a 56" RPTV and a 32"CRT

1. Budget-$800-$900 for both
2. Seating distance-9 feet
3. Size/placement limitations-32" minimum
4. Uses and sources-Monitor, DTV, video games
5. Room lighting-Large windows with vertical blinds, not light controlled.

Thanks.
post #463 of 6011 Old 07-02-2010, 01:56 PM

1 - Budget: ~$1,500
2 - Bedroom (10-15 feet)
3 - Minimum of 46" but not wanting to really go outside of that (read: 52"+).
4 - Will serve primarily as a monitor via HDMI/DVI so audio is not much of a concern, but full 1080p is. Will also serve as viewing source material from an HTPC as well as future gaming via PS3/XBOX360 so minimal input lag is desirable. I do require this to be an LED backlit set. Was looking at the Sharp LE700UN, but open to educated opinion from this site on other sets. Prefer full array, but know the trend has been edge-lit as of late.
5 - Variable lighting, but can be controlled via window panels to low light levels if/when needed.

Looking to purchase between now and this weekend. Have perused the forums for over a year, but still only the fence with the deluge of info out there. Input appreciated
post #464 of 6011 Old 07-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by icanhazavs View Post

1 - Budget: ~$1,500
2 - Bedroom (10-15 feet)
3 - Minimum of 46" but not wanting to really go outside of that (read: 52"+).
4 - Will serve primarily as a monitor via HDMI/DVI so audio is not much of a concern, but full 1080p is. Will also serve as viewing source material from an HTPC as well as future gaming via PS3/XBOX360 so minimal input lag is desirable. I do require this to be an LED backlit set. Was looking at the Sharp LE700UN, but open to educated opinion from this site on other sets. Prefer full array, but know the trend has been edge-lit as of late.
5 - Variable lighting, but can be controlled via window panels to low light levels if/when needed.

Looking to purchase between now and this weekend. Have perused the forums for over a year, but still only the fence with the deluge of info out there. Input appreciated

Minimal input lag will drastically limit your options.

A few ideas though:

- That 700UN sharp is a really strong candidate for your situation

- The 2010 model Sharp LCD's are turning out to have somewhat-low input lag as well, perhaps research the model numbers that have the features you're looking for.

- Panasonic plasmas have low input lag, they also come in the 1080P flavor in the 42" size. LG and Samsung plasmas have really high input lag (there's a compilation thread in the plasma forum)
post #465 of 6011 Old 07-02-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71 View Post

Minimal input lag will drastically limit your options.

A few ideas though:

- That 700UN sharp is a really strong candidate for your situation

- The 2010 model Sharp LCD's are turning out to have somewhat-low input lag as well, perhaps research the model numbers that have the features you're looking for.

- Panasonic plasmas have low input lag, they also come in the 1080P flavor in the 42" size. LG and Samsung plasmas have really high input lag (there's a compilation thread in the plasma forum)

Thank you for your input sjetski71. Plasma are out of the question as I am very sensitive to the flicker. I read that the new Sharps really have no advantage over older models all the while adding the gimmicky 4th (yellow) pixel. Getting another vote for the 700UN has pushed me towards this unit further still. Amazing that it's no longer manufactured and really a sleeper hit
post #466 of 6011 Old 07-03-2010, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by icanhazavs View Post

Thank you for your input sjetski71. Plasma are out of the question as I am very sensitive to the flicker. I read that the new Sharps really have no advantage over older models all the while adding the gimmicky 4th (yellow) pixel. Getting another vote for the 700UN has pushed me towards this unit further still. Amazing that it's no longer manufactured and really a sleeper hit

Only certain model sharps have that extra yellow pixel, but otherwise the lower and mid-models wouldn't have it, or at least the Sharp 40LE810un (LED) doesn't have it anyway.

Edit: Sorry, my mistake, even the 810UN series has the Quattron panel and that extra yellow pixel.

But yes the 700UN is almost a no-brainer choice to at least try out. The 40E77UN is the non-LED model and performs similarly.
post #467 of 6011 Old 07-03-2010, 05:12 PM

1. Budget - $1000 max.
2. Seating distance - 5-10 feet? not really sure on this one, can adjust based on what works best.
3. Size/placement limitations - 40-48"
4. Uses and sources - Mostly watching sports and playing xbox 360. Occasionally movies, but not very often.
5. Room lighting - Average lighting.

I am looking for a new TV. Not sure if the LED-LCD's are worth it or not with a $1000 max budget, so any advice on that is also appreciated. Thanks for any suggestions!
post #468 of 6011 Old 07-04-2010, 05:42 PM

1. Budget
$2500 maxed

2. Seating distance
Around 12 ft

3. Size/placement limitations
46'' is good enough for me.

4. Uses and source
Mainly for watching Blu-rays and playing my PlayStation 3 games. Once in awhile I will hook up my laptop to it or watch some TV as well. For these reasons, I want superb picture quality with reasonable input lag. 3D is icing on the cake though it's not completely necessary.

5. Room lighting
Patio windows with blinds on one side that I usually keep closed.
post #469 of 6011 Old 07-04-2010, 08:49 PM

Hello all,

Looking for help here. Getting lost in all the variations. Here are the reqs

1. Budget
<$1300

2. Seating distance
up to 10'

looking for 40" or greater size. Will likely be setting on the stand rather than mounting.

4. Uses and sources
think i would like 1080 and plan on playing downloaded video content as well as Directv. Would like to have network connecting features to play the divx from the network. Would be awesome if it could play streaming flash video from the internet, but that's the least important feature.

5. Room lighting
will be normal lighting. not too bright, nor dark.
post #470 of 6011 Old 07-05-2010, 01:30 AM

hey everyone.
looking into buying something for my bedroom..
what would you guys recommend?

1. Budget - under $250
2. Seating distance - about 7 feet
3. Size/placement limitations - around 19"-24" (planning on mounting it on the wall)
4. Uses and sources - ATT U-Verse (mainly sports) and downloaded video or DVD's from time to time.
5. Room lighting - fair. not too bright, but not too dark.

thanks.
post #471 of 6011 Old 07-05-2010, 10:57 AM

So I am looking for my first LCD TV:

1. Budget
Around 1000, .

2. Seating distance
About 7 - 7.5 feet.

I live in a apartment. The TV can be mounted or on a stand. The size of the area the TV will be is about 50" - 55".

4. Uses and sources
Primarily Cable TV content and DVD's (DVD player has a HDMI port). I also do a lot of gaming (360/PS3). My X360 will be hooked up through Component cables and PS3 will be HDMI. I have Time Warner cable and the cable box has one HDMI port, an ethernet, USB and SATA port. I have Netflix and would like to stream Netflix to my TV.

5. Room lighting
My current living room only has one source of light which is a sliding door leading to a balcony. My TV will be on the wall that receives the light from this sliding door. However, I have blinds that can block the light from entering the aprtment.

Other: I have been to CNET and checked user and CNET reviews on TV's but do not know which one would suit me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #472 of 6011 Old 07-05-2010, 04:50 PM

I'm looking for 2 TV's. One LED and one Plasma. I've been reading these boards for a couple months now and I'm more confused than ever. Please help! Thank you in advance and many thanks to all of you who post extremely valuable information on these boards.

1st TV - PLASMA

1. Budget - $1500 ish

2. Seating distance - Couch will be about 10', barstools about 20-25'

3. Size/placement limitations - looking for 50" or greater size. Wall mount most likely

4. Uses and sources - Mediacom cable, PS3, BluRay, streaming video

5. Room lighting - Basement with 3 windows but purchasing black-out shades

2nd TV - LED

1. Budget - $2000 ish

2. Seating distance - About 10'

3. Size/placement limitations - looking for 50" or greater size. Wall mount most likely

4. Uses and sources - Mediacom cable, PS3, BluRay, streaming video

5. Room lighting - Living room with 3 windows facing South. TV will be on West wall.
post #473 of 6011 Old 07-06-2010, 12:46 AM

Hi, i am looking for the 3dtv for gaming. My budget is ~price of Samsung 46C8000.
Size ~46 inch.

i am concern about reflective screen of LG 47'lx9500,
Sony's "no-tilt" glasses in hx800
no 2d-to-3d and power consumption in panasonic vt-20
input lag in samsung c8000

any advice? i can wait a few months if there is another model in similar price range is coming out. But i am just not heard of any other. panas with 2d-to-3d would be nice.
post #474 of 6011 Old 07-06-2010, 10:05 AM

I need help picking one of the following TV's below.
Any thoughts/advice or firsthand knowledge would be appreciated.

Sony KDL-40EX500 vs Samsung LN40C630

Sony Bravia KDS-60A3000 HDTV
Sony BDP-S370
Yamaha RX-V663
Post it Deals
post #475 of 6011 Old 07-06-2010, 07:55 PM

Does anyone actually respond to these posts anymore? I really need some advice from the experts on here. Please and thanks!!
post #476 of 6011 Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 AM

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a tv within the next week or so (unless there's something coming very soon that I can't pass up). Here are the important things to know:

Budget - max $2000
Seating Distance - 7-8', will be mounted on wall
Size - 47"-55", not interested in 3-d, i assume LED full array local-dim sets would be best
Uses - mostly movies (dvd/bluray), some tv (if any), ps3, streaming video
Room Lighting - Living Room with one window on the north-side (tv mounted to right of this window), 3 windows on the east-side of the room. We have temporary blinds up there now that filter the light and kind of deadens it, but doesn't quite darken the room to optimal conditions. We will be painting the room a darker (charcoal-ish) color. I'm open to bias-lighting options as long as it's not expensive.

Thanks to all in advance for your helpful responses.
post #477 of 6011 Old 07-08-2010, 10:26 AM

1. Budget....anything less than $250
2. Seating distance....close/less than 6 feet
3. Size/placement limitations...prefebly 20-24 inch television for dorm room
4. Uses and sources....just for coaxil cable + occasional PS3 gameplay
5. Room lighting
post #478 of 6011 Old 07-08-2010, 04:02 PM

Hey! First post here, hope you don't mind.

1. Budget: Max. $800
2. Seating: Small room, distance is 6 ft. max
3. Size: 32"
4. Uses: Mostly for gaming (PS3 and maybe PC), occasionally some movies, and sometimes TV
5. Lighting: No direct sunlight and lamps are dimmed at night. Big, dark furnitures also prevent reflections

Some people say that they quickly got bored of their 32" TVs, and they suggest buying a TV that is at least 40 inches big, even for short distances like 6 feet. I'll use the TV mostly for gaming, so I'm expected to buy one with less input lag. I thought that if I chose a 40" or bigger TV, the price would skyrocket. Besides, I still think that a 40" TV is too large for a 6 feet distance. What do you think?
post #479 of 6011 Old 07-08-2010, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Anybody know what the best new tv $200 can buy? Thanks.
post #480 of 6011 Old 07-08-2010, 11:36 PM

For $200.00? I think you would need to increase your budget.

Anyways, I could use some help deciding on which TV I should go with.
1. Budget $2000 MAX
2. Seating distance 8-9FT
3. Size/placement limitations 50"-55", unless I go with a 6088UN, but I'd prefer the 50"
4. Uses and sources-Mainly used for gaming 360/PS3/Wii/PC monitor/Blu-rays.
5. Room lighting-I can make it as dark or as bright as I want. Generally dark.

I've had the Sharp LC52LE810UN and I took it back because it had really bad clouding, not sure if I'd get another one or even another edge lit set. Any suggestions?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread - Un55b8000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page