Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy59 View Post
I need advice,

I am unsure whether to go for it and get a 4K TV now or get a Full HD TV and wait another few years to go for the 4K upgrade that will no doubt be cheaper and better than what is available now.

Budget wise it depends really, I'm in the UK so prices are a lot higher for the same TVs in the US.

Size has to be between 60" and 65"

4K wise I would either go for a Sony X9000b or Sony X850b as my use will include video games and I am of the understanding that these are the only suitable 4K sets for gaming.

If I go Full HD I am not saving a huge amount as the sets I have looked at are only £1000 less than the 4K sets.

I was looking at either the Sony W850b or the Samsung H7000, same uses as above.

I just don't know whether or not I should pay the premium for 4K now or buy a relatively expensive Full HD TV and not have 4K for a few more years.
You know there are no 4K video games (or game consoles ) right ? ☺ (I think I know what you meant though)

If the £1000 is not an issue you already answered your own question I would look for the Sony X8.5x or the 9x sets .

I've read the Sammy H7K doesn't measure up to the 8x,9x Sonys or Sony 800/ 850B lot of Sony 8x 9x owners here tried them and took them back for the Sonys.

I own a Sammy plasma (my real tv ) and a new Sony LED my very good LCD TV .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-07-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 6197 Old 07-07-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

\\
`

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #5313 of 6197 Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
My Samsung 32" TV is dying. Takes a bunch of power on and off cycles to finally stay on. It's ready to fail one day, so I need to be ready.

I'm looking for a decent 32" LCD TV that has good picture quality, has at least 3 HDMI ports, 2 Component ports, 1 PC (VGA) port and 1 or 2 Composite ports (preferably 2). I'm looking to spend less than $400. And after this experience, I would prefer not to get a Samsung. I'm thinking of trying Sony, Panasonic or Sharp. Not sure which is a better TV brand though.

Basically, I'm not looking for anything top of the line. Just a best bang for the buck TV that's 32" and costs less than $400.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Don'y know about the inputs most likely only one component (dying tech and all +if you can not find one with 3 HDMI
you can get an HDMI switch for about $10.00. Composite port is usually shared w/ component usually can only use one or the other at the same time an even more dying technology you have an NES or something like that ?

Of the above Sony R4 /R6 and add in Toshiba . W650 Sony is 1080p ,R4 Sony is 720p
the R4 /R6 Sonys + Toshiba 32L2400U get good reviews . EDIT : Some 32" Pannys are bottom feeders (if you can find one bigger Pannys are fine..

Best bang for the buck + 1080p and good picyure is this Toshiba this set also gets good reviews
I own a 40" Sony and 32" Toshiba both are good .

If using for a PC monitor you will definitely want a 1080p set

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-07-2014 at 11:59 PM.
post #5314 of 6197 Old 07-07-2014, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK, I decided to go the 1080p route instead of 720p since the cost isn't that much of a difference. I looked through Best Buy's website and came across these three...

Any of these any good?

1080p Toshiba 32L2400U
is good the Sharp is an exclusive best buy set (built to a price point ) not like the the real sharps used to be or the big ones are now . LG is OK

post #5315 of 6197 Old 07-07-2014, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loststorm View Post
Looking for tv that will be use in a bedroom, any help will be greatly appreciated.
1- Budget - $550
2- Distance 5 to 6 feet
3- 39 to 42 inch
4- Uses - Gaming, Movies, Tv shows
5- Lighting - Dark to medium day light

Models I'm considering:
Vizio E400-B2
Vizio M422i-B2
Samsung UN40H6350
Sony KDL40W600B
With this and most smaller size Samsung you get to participate in the panel lottery if you get a good one it's fine if no ... not so hot !

Vizio I would take the 40 over the 42...... better panel .but I wouldn't take any Vizio anyway

Sony W600B pretty good set good video processing (sony is the best ) probably the pick of the litter and certainly the best twitch gamer of these 3 by a long shot !

Sony W600B (without local dimming ) black level matches the Visio with local dimming turned on has better contrast also ! That immediately tells me the Sony has a better panel as one would expect .

Sont W600B uses a Samsung S-PVA panel . Vizio is anybody's guess (you can maybe be sure it's cheap one though ) it won't match the Sony in any event even with local dimming.

Sony and Samsung are tier one brands ,Vizio wants to be but are still in Target /Wall Mart/Costco discount bin .
You get what you pay for here your choice buy a cheap set twice or a good one once
Loststorm likes this.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-08-2014 at 06:26 AM.
post #5316 of 6197 Old 07-07-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok, I guess I can sacrifice some ports since I have an AVR with several ports available.

So, does anyone know how good this Panasonic TC-32A400U TV is? Only $200 right now at Best Buy...

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/det...d=abcat0101000
It's probably $200.00 good and then some easy only 720p though if you are using it for a PC monitor look for a 1080p set twice the pixels big difference close up .................8 ft away on a 32" hardly any difference if any.
Panny would be fine (probably real decent ) if viewing from ~7-8 ft and no PC use up close .
You know Panasonic does not make these right ? I think it' s TPV or Amtran made for Panasonic (not necessarily a bad thing in itself )

Note : blinking back lights like the panasonic has are useless (same for any set with them ) and often reduce brightness by 50% don't fall for the marketing disinformation it's still a 60Hz panel no matter how you blink the lights or not .
60Hz on a 32" is not a major issue.

The Toshiba 32l2400U would be a very good maybe better 1080p alternative @ $259.00
Probably made by Compal ,Wistron or TPV .☺

R4 and W600B Sonys are Foxconn ☺

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-08-2014 at 12:17 AM.
post #5317 of 6197 Old 07-08-2014, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
With this and most smaller size Samsung you get to participate in the panel lottery if you get a good one it's fine if no ... not so hot !

Vizio I would take the 40 over the 42...... better panel .but I wouldn't take any Vizio anyway

Sony W600B pretty good set good video processing (sony is the best ) probably the pick of the litter and certainly the best twitch gamer of these 3 by a long shot !

Sony W600B (without local dimming ) black level matches the Visio with local dimming turned on has better contrast also ! That immediately tells me the Sony has a better panel as one would expect .

Sont W600B uses a Samsung S-PVA panel . Vizio is anybody's guess (you can be sure it's cheap one though ) it won't match the Sony in any event even with local dimming.

Sony and Samsung are tier one brands ,Vizio wants to be but are still in Target /Wall Mart/Costco discount bin .
You get what you pay for here your choice buy a cheap set twice or a good one once

Yet The Vizio E & M both scored higher than even the latest Sony 800B and 900B on CNET. Then again, CNET's reviewing system is also based on "how good it is for the price"
post #5318 of 6197 Old 07-08-2014, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post
Yet The Vizio E & M both scored higher than even the latest Sony 800B and 900B on CNET. Then again, CNET's reviewing system is also based on "how good it is for the price"
Cnets reviewing is possibly flawed or not in this case depending on the objective and by your own admission , they possibly legitimately by intent sometimes may put more emphasis on price considering their intended broad market audience rather more so than an enthusiast web site would so the scores are likely in skewed in that direction. now and then . You have to read between the lines . They seem to be a little better in that respect *sometimes with premium models but still err in that direction most of the time like most review sites . Overall Cnet does a pretty good good job if you read between the lines and in all fairness they do score the different categories independently .
☺ Vizio fan boys are wishfull thinkers . ☺

The the panel specs tell a good story anybody know what panels they use vs Sony ? vs Toshiba vs Samsung vs Panasonic
what video processing silicon ? I can answer that one off the shelf Media Tek or Marvel. OK but nothing special or proprietary like you would usually find in a tier one brand it often makes a difference .
The panels used often determines a large percentage of a sets price ..

Sometimes local dimming on a middling set can inexpensively mask an inferior panel and /or video processor board while it is pretending to be a better set than it is but that ultimately shows .

A panel must have at the least both good black levels and white levels (a superior panel ) to achieve a good contrast ratio Vizio often falls short there . Those things being with but a few exceptions such as *some* 9x Sonys or 7x/8x LG but thats another and quite technically interesting story not to mention they are expensive and don't use cheap panels and achieve the desired results with superior and not inexpensive technology .

Does anybody know who makes the capacitors inside Vizios (Sony Uses Rubycons (not cheap) the other tier one brands use similar quality . Vizio does not manufacture anything AFAIK so their lineage would appear to be in sales.
They do some engineering /designing from what I have read how much who knows ? the OEM/ODM houses will do that all for you also .

IMO Cnet factors price in the total score as much or more than quality and that can wight the overall scores accordingly . Anybody know what grade of panels Vizio uses A,B or C, ?
I'm not sure but they might have you cut costs somewhere to meet the price points . better to buy a good set once rather than a cheap set twice .

Even Cnet says the M is not much if any better than the B models so of the P models don't step up to the plate they will still reside on the Wal Mart /Costco/Target/Rent a Center discount shelves.

People buy cheap but many want better than the bottom and that is what Vizio sells that's fine.

IMO to directly compare any Vizio on the merits of it's performance to an 8x /9x Sony or any Sony or pretend it is comparable in any way is ludicrous . Similarly with the other tier one brands such as Samsung,Panasonic ,Toshiba and LG .

Vizios are what they are, a legitimate inexpensive middling to reasonably fair set that otherwise offers a possibly better alternative to a TCL,Hisense ,Westinghouse ,Emeson ,Seiki or Dynex/Insignia much beyond that is fantasy IMO.

Maybe the P models and the reference will elevate the brand significantly not impossible , at the least the P models will give them a 4K sets. .

Product reviews sometime remind me of a story I heard . "company hires a statistician ,first question the statistician asks of his new employer is ................ What position would you like me to support "

here is some Vizio news ,
Quote:
TPV will ship 16.85 million LCD TVs with Philips and Vizio to be major clients,Wistron with 3.6 million units mainly to Vizio, Amtran with two million units mainly to Sharp and Vizio,
Foxconn is currently producing TVs for Vizio in China, Vizio could be an important partner in bringing TV production to the US, according to the report. At CES 2014, Vizio showcased an impressive 120-inch LCD TV, produced by Foxconn.
This article is an excerpt from a Chinese-language Digitimes Research report.
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20131213PD200.html

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-08-2014 at 04:31 PM.
post #5319 of 6197 Old 07-08-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Some Sony displays, especially the 65 inch and above, seem to bounce between the ISP and the S-PVA panels. I know what the letters mean and I know the ISP panel is more matted and the S-PVA panel has better blacks and contrast. So my question is, is either panel more or less prone to screen uniformity issues like banding, clouding, flash lighting etc? Does either panel inherently do a better job utilizing the edge lit technology?
post #5320 of 6197 Old 07-08-2014, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55H6350-55-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00I94IPTW/

or

www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-55LB7200-55-Inch-1080p/dp/B00II6VYI0/

Cant decide which one to buy, what one is better at low latency gaming?
post #5321 of 6197 Old 07-08-2014, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm looking for a TV to upgrade from an old Sony KDL-32M3000, and finally get something slightly bigger and 1080p
Budget/price range: $400-525
Distance: 8-12 feet
Size: 39 to 42 inch
Uses: Mostly gaming and Netflix and possibly a second monitor for my PC
Lighting - Bright fluorescent room lighting

I've heard/read good things about the LG 42LN5300/42LN5400 but I don't want to end up pigeonholing myself into just that one set. I like the Sony KDL40W600B and the KDL-42EX440 which I found refurbished on the Sony site, but with tax and shipping they're right on the upper edge of my budget. Any other solid suggestions?
post #5322 of 6197 Old 07-08-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Looking for a 48" LCD @ 120 Hz

I want to replace my Toshiba 32" Regza TV.

Budget: $500 - $600

Resolution: 1080p

Refresh Rate: 120Hz

Distance: 6 - 7 Feet

Connections: HDMI

Room Size: Small Living Room

Lighting: Fairly light room

Other Devices: Denon AVR - X1000, Oppo 95 Blue-ray player, Denon 3910 DVD player, ATT U-Verse box

Please guys give me some recommendations. I would consider smaller screen but it has to be at least 40" though 48" is preferred. I am not opposed to Visio.

Jim

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!

Last edited by alfbinet; 07-08-2014 at 03:17 PM.
post #5323 of 6197 Old 07-08-2014, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
37-39" with good viewing angle / IPS

Looking for a new TV to be our main living room TV set. I want something fairly small with IPS (viewing angle) and good pic quality; don't care about other bells and whistles.

Size: 37"-39" ideal, would consider 42" or 32"

Use: Mostly TV with room lights on, some blu-ray movies. No gaming, no PC monitor.

Viewing angle: High priority. IPS or equivalent strongly preferred.

Contrast and Black level: Lower priority than angle; understand IPS less good than *VA.

Refresh: 60Hz is fine, but no objection to 120

Overall Picture Quality: Want something good, not off brand

Sound Quality: don't care, run through my AVR and speakers.

Inputs: can live with few; we HDMI switch via AVR.

Media player/network features: don't care, use other equipment for that

Price: flexible; quality more important

Here's the deal: currently have a 2011 vintage 32" Panasonic with IPS-alpha. Very happy with it, but want something a bit bigger and 32" moves to basement guest room. Would be fine getting a larger version of the Panasonic, but apparently while I wasn't looking the world mostly stopped making high quality sets in small sizes. E.g., no more IPS in the small Pannys. I've read that all the majors (Sony, etc) now outsource their smaller sets and it can be hard to find top picture quality there, and especially there is less use of IPS in the small sets.

Geometry of our house makes off-axis viewing very important to us, and the color shift of *VA panels annoys the heck out of me. Understand IPS panels have their weak spots, but I'm OK with the tradeoffs.

For size, we have a relatively small house, and more so, our living room is a living room, not a home theater -- we do not want the TV to be the dominant piece of furniture in the room, nor do we want to spend the money a huge and high quality set would cost. 37-39 is ideal, 42" is max, and we'd be OK with 32". In fact, if there is no IPS of 42" or less to be found anymore, our fallback would be to leave the old 32" Panny in the LR, and buy a new 32" for the basement where the angles are less critical.

Any suggestions or general tips appreciated!
post #5324 of 6197 Old 07-08-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
Some Sony displays, especially the 65 inch and above, seem to bounce between the ISP and the S-PVA panels. I know what the letters mean and I know the ISP panel is more matted and the S-PVA panel has better blacks and contrast. So my question is, is either panel more or less prone to screen uniformity issues like banding, clouding, flash lighting etc? Does either panel inherently do a better job utilizing the edge lit technology?
According to my Sony panel list (if correct ) Actually The 2014 65" and 85" Sony 9x panels are AUO AMVA3 and CMO Innolux Super MVA respectively Similar to an Samsung S-PVA only in that they are both VA types .

Generally speaking VA panels are less prone to uniformity issues when they are direct lit and less so when edge lit with IPS panels rear and edge lit respectively bringing up the rear *in most cases*
In many cases the larger panels are more prone to uniformity and other issues as opposed to a smaller panel .
All the *Triluminos FALD* panels would of course be direct lit regardless of type.

Some of the 2014 USA Sonys (one 55" 8x and one 55" 9x ) and possibly the new 79" 9x are LGD IPS .

The balance of the US 8x sets are AUO AMVA5 panels and the Sony 6x are Samsung/Foxconn SPVA
panels with Foxconn building and assembling back lights that may be also true with *some of the 8x9x sets using other than Samsung panels also .

The largest Sony using an Samsung-SPVA4 (or any samsung panel) panel would be the lone 60" 8x Sony

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-08-2014 at 05:24 PM.
post #5325 of 6197 Old 07-08-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

[QUOTE=quahog99;25588857]Looking for a new TV to be our main living room TV set. I want something fairly small with IPS (viewing angle) and good pic quality; don't care about other bells and whistles.

S[B]ize: 37"-39" ideal, would consider 42" or 32"

I believe some of the 40" and less Toshiba are IPS as well as Panasonic and LG
and maybe some Insignia (off brand) and 2013 Vizio (sort of off brand ) 42" E series and maybe 2013 42" M as well

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-08-2014 at 05:39 PM.
post #5326 of 6197 Old 07-08-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbinet View Post
I want to replace my Toshiba 32" Regza TV.

Budget: $500 - $600

Resolution: 1080p

Refresh Rate: 120Hz

Distance: 6 - 7 Feet

Connections: HDMI

Room Size: Small Living Room

Lighting: Fairly light room

Other Devices: Denon AVR - X1000, Oppo 95 Blue-ray player, Denon 3910 DVD player, ATT U-Verse box

Please guys give me some recommendations. I would consider smaller screen but it has to be at least 40" though 48" is preferred. I am not opposed to Visio.

Jim
Exactly meets all your requirements including quality +120Hz panel good game set also for $649.00
pretty decent set also

Sony 48W600B

If you can forgo the 120Hz panel and add 2" the ~$559.00 Toshiba
50L2400U 50"
Class 1080P LED TV has a real decent picture aslo

Panasonic has a Nice 60Hz 50" for $499.00

If you don't mind playing the Samsung Panel Lottery they might have something also

Those would be my ONLY choices in this size/price range or you are talking ~$ 999 for an 50" 8x Sony

Keep in mind HDMI 1.x supports *up to* 1080P /60 or in the case of 1.4 1080p/60 or 2160p/30 , 2.0 only supports *up to * 2160p/60 (60Hz progressive) 4K UHD so a true 120Hz panel will be repeating frames that can smooth motion some so can a decent fast (sample and hold specification ) 60Hz panel
that is different from response time . 60/120Hz ain't that big of a thing under ~50" *with a good set

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-08-2014 at 10:11 PM.
post #5327 of 6197 Old 07-08-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
According to my Sony panel list (if correct ) Actually The 2014 65" and 85" Sony 9x panels are AUO AMVA3 and CMO Innolux Super MVA respectively Similar to an Samsung S-PVA only in that they are both VA types .

Generally speaking VA panels are less prone to uniformity issues when they are direct lit and less so when edge lit with IPS panels rear and edge lit respectively bringing up the rear *in most cases*
In many cases the larger panels are more prone to uniformity and other issues as opposed to a smaller panel .

Thank you fr the info. I really appreciate it
All the *Triluminos FALD* panels would of course be direct lit regardless of type.

Some of the 2014 USA Sonys (one 55" 8x and one 55" 9x ) and possibly the new 79" 9x are LGD IPS .

The balance of the US 8x sets are AUO AMVA5 panels and the Sony 6x are Samsung/Foxconn SPVA
panels with Foxconn building and assembling back lights that may be also true with *some of the 8x9x sets using other than Samsung panels also .

The largest Sony using an Samsung-SPVA4 (or any samsung panel) panel would be the lone 60" 8x Sony
Thank you very much for the info. My trip down Sony Lane during the last 12 months or so started with the 70r550a (severe clouding and flash lighting) to the 70w850b (beautiful picture but horrible unacceptable radial banding) to the current 65w850a which I believe has the S-PVA panel and a stunning picture (but back to severe clouding and flash lighting). I had a choice of refund, a new 65w850a or another 70w850b. I chose the 70w850b hoping I will get a good panel without the banding issue. Am I correct in thinking that the 70w850b has the ISP panel?
post #5328 of 6197 Old 07-08-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

65 850a and 70 850B could be AUO AMVA5 or Samsung SPVA4 as both are active 3D 70"
70 850B Could be either one or Sharp ASV .

I Sony used Sharp ASV in R5 70" sets last yr .
the R5 is 2K active 3D so they may have carried the panel over ?
70" R5 and other size had a few panel issues FW IHR here in the owner threads
but when OK were good .

.All 3D LGD IPS are passive 3D or 2D

Samsung SPVA4 can definitely make a good picture so can AUO both are VA panels

.My 2014 40 R4 Sony with a Samsung panel virtually matches 2014 Sony 8XXx black levels beats the 9X ? imagine that ? .

Once I calibrated it the picture is terrific and it has 4700: 1 Contrast also .
not so hot out of box but OK 100% better calibrated
it can make some sick colors and detail with 4700: 1 contrast☺☺.
*(for an LCD )

My real TV is a phatt 2013 Samsung Plasma ☺☺☺
Although a Sony 8x or 9x would be no problem here!

AFAIK for panels 2014 Sony is using mostly AUO ,some Samsung ,Some LGD , and some CMO Innolux on the 85"

My panel list is from ~ May so some sets have been realesed since then

Your 2 sets are not on my list .

Some Sony Black levels + Contrast

2013 Sony R450a Black: 0.022 cd/m2 Contrast: 4750 : 1 >Samsung SPVA

2014 Sony W600B Black: 0.026 cd/m2 Contrast: 3500 : 1 > Samsing SPVA

2014 Sony W800B Black: 0.020 cd/m2 Contrast: 5260 : 1 >AUO MVA5

2014 Sony W950B Black: 0.111 cd/m2 Contrast: 942 : 1 >>>> LGD S - IPS

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-08-2014 at 09:48 PM.
post #5329 of 6197 Old 07-08-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thank you Tubetwister! I have earmarked each set. The Toshiba and Sony are VERY interesting!

Thank you again.

Jim

Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
post #5330 of 6197 Old 07-08-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by netman85am View Post
So I'm looking for a TV to upgrade from an old Sony KDL-32M3000, and finally get something slightly bigger and 1080p
Budget/price range: $400-525
Distance: 8-12 feet
Size: 39 to 42 inch
Uses: Mostly gaming and Netflix and possibly a second monitor for my PC
Lighting - Bright fluorescent room lighting

I've heard/read good things about the LG 42LN5300/42LN5400 but I don't want to end up pigeonholing myself into just that one set. I like the Sony KDL40W600B and the KDL-42EX440 which I found refurbished on the Sony site, but with tax and shipping they're right on the upper edge of my budget. Any other solid suggestions?
Get this one ......I bought one same place it was brand new only slightly damage box thats all came in 5 days no tax still had plastic on it accys in sealed bag never used has a better panel than 2014 W600B
good gamer (excellent for all the uses you listed also) I have an LG 42LM5300 also OK not as good as the Sony .
I'm watching Sony R4 now it is also 2nd PC screen + has Roku + has Dish +$10.00 HDMI switch works good with HDMI from PC works good on HDMI from everything they were $599.00 -$649.00 when new plenty bright excel contrast
(thats what makes or breaks a picture panel specs tell the story ) Thing is sick once you calibrate it then it S**ts all over every other 40-42-46 -48 (most 50's too!) new 8X Sonys are better though but not the 6X...... ,6X is good though .
wont do that to my phatt Sammy plasma though ☺☺

In case you are interested same seller is blowing out these refurb 2014 Vizio 40" E400i-B2 Smart LED HD TV 1080p HDMI Built-in WiFi Internet Apps for $249.00 seller musta hijacked a container ship he's already sold 343 of these things ! swinging deal for the $$

2013 Sony R4 Black: 0.022 cd/m2 Contrast: 4750 : 1 Samsung SPVA

2014 Sony W600B Black: 0.026 cd/m2 Contrast: 3500 : 1 Samsung SPVA
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/sony

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-08-2014 at 10:09 PM.
post #5331 of 6197 Old 07-08-2014, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you Tubetwister! I have earmarked each set. The Toshiba and Sony are VERY interesting!

Thank you again.

Jim

In case you are interested
This seller is blowing out these refurb 2014 Vizio 40" E400i-B2 Smart LED HD TV 1080p HDMI Built-in WiFi Internet Apps for $249.00 swinging deal for the $$

I bought a 2013 40" Sony R4 from them it was new and unused only slightly damaged box seller has those also $343.00 . I would buy another!
of the two I would choose the Sony (better panel ) no tax free shipping it got here in 5 days ! dude must have hijacked another container ship he's already sold 343 of those Vizios ! he has other stuff also they sell tons of sets over 1,500 a month good percentage on feedback
top rated plus ebay seller ,not easy to maintain that rating when you sell that much with all the loons out there
I wouldn't think too long about this one B4 thay are gone ! It's not a Sony but not bad has wifi too better than a lot of 40's

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-08-2014 at 10:35 PM.
post #5332 of 6197 Old 07-09-2014, 12:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

^^^

How nice to have a member who is really trying to help!

post #5333 of 6197 Old 07-09-2014, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^^^

How nice to have a member who is really trying to help!
naaaaaah just bored

post #5334 of 6197 Old 07-09-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
naaaaaah just bored
Well, lucky for us you're bored and I hope you stay that way. Your info is a breath of fresh air. Now that I've stroked your ego, ha, perhaps you can tell me what to expect with the Sony 70w850b as far as screen type and who manufactures it. I'm not sure I understand the direct lit vs. edge lit differences you alluded to earlier. I thought the 65w850a with Triluminus and the 70w850b without Triluminus were both edge lit. Who is using edge lit local dimming and is there such a thing as edge lit local zone dimming? Are all ISP panels more matted than all VA panels? When any manufacture is choosing ISP vs VA panels is it strictly a matter of what is available or does performance come into the equation at all?

Last edited by andy sullivan; 07-09-2014 at 10:00 AM.
post #5335 of 6197 Old 07-09-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

70W850B is active back light Triluminous 3D probably an AUO MVA A3 or A5 panel or possibly a Samsung-SPVA4 panel both are active 3D panels .

LGD S-IPS 3D are always going to be passive 3D . Both the above panels are decent VA panels.
edge light no local dimming does have (useless ) frame dimming . local dimming is reserved for the x850A and 9X Sonys .

S-IPS panels can have varying degrees of transmissivity just like their distant cousin VA panels and can be glossy or matted.

mfr.s could be using an TALKING OUIJA BOARD to decide if IPS or VA for all I know except in the case of LG and Samsung
where the choices would be obvious .

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-12-2014 at 06:09 PM.
post #5336 of 6197 Old 07-09-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

According to Amazon the w850a uses Dynamic Edge Lit. Not sure what the Dynamic means but they do not mention FALD. I hope the replacement 70w850b shows no radial banding this time. It's a shame that my current w850a has such pronounced clouding and flash lighting because it is very apparent during any dark scenes. The w850a is selling for under $1800 and under $1500 at some stores while the w850b is still over $2k most places. For the 2014 model year it seems that Sony is not offering a real replacement for the 65w850a. Reviews for the w950 do not compere favoribly at all to the 850a even though the 950 is advertised as the heir. Tubetwister, how do you think the PQ would be today if if they had not moved to LED back lighting and stayed with CCFL?

Last edited by andy sullivan; 07-09-2014 at 01:32 PM.
post #5337 of 6197 Old 07-09-2014, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 2007 Panasonic 42" plasma bit the dust on Mon (red light blinking 10 times). So I need a new TV. The entertainment center I have has a max width of 45" so I am looking for a 50" TV.

Doing a little bit of research and visiting Best Buy I currently have three sets under consideration:

Samsung UN50H6350AFXZA
Samsung UN50H6400AFXZA
Sony KDL50W800B

Besides HDMI I need a composite input and preferably a digital audio and analog audio out (headphone or RCA).

I heard that the 3D sets have better 2D pictures than the 2D sets.

Any input on which set is best? I am open to alternatives.

post #5338 of 6197 Old 07-09-2014, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looking to buy a new TV and I could do with some advice on which to buy.
I currently have the Samsung UE32EH5000 but will be moving it to another room and I'd like to upgrade on it with either the F5000 or H5000.
The reviews I've seen say the F5000 is solid TV and a decent upgrade but I can't find anything on the H5000. (All searches take me to the EH5000)

The only info I've found is the H5000 is meant to be the latest model but is it an improvment over the F5000?

Not interested in any Smart features or 3D, just the best picture quality.

Last edited by Gray92; 07-09-2014 at 06:56 PM.
post #5339 of 6197 Old 07-09-2014, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
[quote=tubetwister;25591577]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quahog99 View Post
Looking for a new TV to be our main living room TV set. I want something fairly small with IPS (viewing angle) and good pic quality; don't care about other bells and whistles.

S[B]ize: 37"-39" ideal, would consider 42" or 32"

I believe some of the 40" and less Toshiba are IPS as well as Panasonic and LG
and maybe some Insignia (off brand) and 2013 Vizio (sort of off brand ) 42" E series and maybe 2013 42" M as well
Thanks for the tip!

From their websites and from all the reviews I can find, LG and Panasonic don't appear to do IPS below 42" in their current lineup. Toshiba, much less info available on panel types for any of their TVs -- if you have a pointer to a model that would be great.

Unfortunately, having looked at some TVs in the store, wife is ready to veto 42" as too big. Frankly, I'd prefer smaller too. I suspect we stay with the old IPS Panasonic in the LR, and buy a new 32" for the basement. We'll worry about the lack of quality features in the size we want when the Panny gives out (of course by then, probably even 42" will be bottom-end only).
post #5340 of 6197 Old 07-09-2014, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Best 46"+ TV for under 900$?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page