the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 179 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5341 of 5347 Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 269
For sister, One of the Vizio , Samsung 5xxxLCD ,48 W600 Sony or 50l2400U Toshiba . I would lean towards the last 3 personally.
Toshiba 50l24000 /50l1400U scores an average of 4.7 (high ) on BB consumer reviews Sony 4.5 (allowing for statistical variations and loons about the same ) I don't know about the Samsung 5xxx score I'm sure it's good they are decent I almost bought one but couldn't find one with the right panel (s) it made a visual difference to *me* having seen the Sammys both ways .

Ended up with a 2013 40" R4 Sony with a decent Samsung VA panel 4700:1 contrast good blacks no regrets . Real TV around here is a Sammy 60f5300 PDP ☺.

The Soviet people feared the KGB was watching them through their TV's ........or listening to them through their radios, so they kept them turned off often when they wanted privacy .

Now the NSA/ DHS are in fact watching us with our computers cell phones surveillance cameras drones,satellites etc !

Last edited by tubetwister; Yesterday at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5342 of 5347 Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
According to Amazon the w850a uses Dynamic Edge Lit. Not sure what the Dynamic means but they do not mention FALD. I hope the replacement 70w850b shows no radial banding this time. It's a shame that my current w850a has such pronounced clouding and flash lighting because it is very apparent during any dark scenes. The w850a is selling for under $1800 and under $1500 at some stores while the w850b is still over $2k most places. For the 2014 model year it seems that Sony is not offering a real replacement for the 65w850a. Reviews for the w950 do not compere favoribly at all to the 850a even though the 950 is advertised as the heir. Tubetwister, how do you think the PQ would be today if if they had not moved to LED back lighting and stayed with CCFL?
re tubetwister
You are right no FALD ,edge lit too !my bad ! The dynamic edge light *may be zone dimming * it has Triluminos
though that's a plus ( at least I think it is some say it does nothing without 10 bit color program like 4K ) .
I fixed /Edited my mistake thanks for pointing that out !
Hope your replacement 70" works out Cnets Katzmier liked the pix lots said it was brighter than the a (or something ) IIRC. !

Good question about the CCFL thing I have a 2012 Toshiba CCFL set thay destroys a lot of newer LEDs
and is very close to and brighter than my 2013 R4 Sony LED. took me a good while to get the pix right on that one
but once that was done it's very good the contrast and blacks on the R4 pretty much match the 2014 800B and handily beat the new W600 Sonys that replaced it imagine that... it gave me reason to wonder where Sony is going these days.

Seems like the CCFL's didn't have all these panel issues either .
I think they went to LED's ultimately to save money and ofc energy . Now they are trying to replace household CCFL with much more expensive LED's the energy and environmental zealots are out of control time for a revolution
get rid of you know who and the cabinet also !
IIRC They had some some real decent Sony 9xx or XBR CCFL .

The Soviet people feared the KGB was watching them through their TV's ........or listening to them through their radios, so they kept them turned off often when they wanted privacy .

Now the NSA/ DHS are in fact watching us with our computers cell phones surveillance cameras drones,satellites etc !

Last edited by tubetwister; Today at 02:00 AM.
post #5343 of 5347 Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Yep, I agree with you about LED. Personally I think the two main reasons for the advent of LED is thin is sexy and sexy sells. Reason number two, it was originally marketed by Samsung in a manner that led people to think LED was actually some great new technology. They played on the public's awareness of LED and led them to believe that it was something other than just a different way to back light the old LCD technology. Now that it's accepted as the holy grail we'll never know how good CCFL would have become. My guess is that it would be much better than LED is today. TV's may have been a little thicker and heavier but with little or no screen uniformity problems and much better black levels and contrast. Now that LED is saturating the market they have given us 4K, Hey, whatever it takes to sell TV's.
tubetwister likes this.
post #5344 of 5347 Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

agree on all points first they charged a hefty premium for a smaller (cheaper ) also a switching power supply like CCFL had only smaller
nothing new there ,eliminated CCFL backlight inverter board Same LCD panels (or at least the technology ) changed the diffusers for edge light on those types smaller cheaper LED strips for direct lit and cheap LED light bar for edge lite tried to make everyone believe blue LED with white phosphor
(or whatever they use ) and color banding cloudy flashlighting edge light was better somehow + LED made better white light than CCFL that made same white light what a scam and good profit move .

Otoh some TV are real cheap now but that wasn't why they did it that just happened because tens of millions of TV are being made cheap in PRC .

Last edited by tubetwister; Today at 12:00 AM.
post #5345 of 5347 Old Today, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Upgrade to 32" Panny - Advice Appreciated

I am just starting to look around for upgrade options and want to concentrate on Pannys and Samsung. A few facts:

1. Budget: $1,000
2. Use: Living Room (not main TV)
3. Sources: TWC Cable, BluRay and streaming Netflix
4. Viewing: ~6 ft.
5. 3D unimportant
6. Reasonably bright room, but on east side of house so evening viewing unaffected by sunlight

Some research has me believing the Samsung UN46F6300 and Panasonic TC-L47WT50 should be in the mix.

Any recommendations to get me started would be appreciated.
post #5346 of 5347 Old Today, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

while i seem to have bought into the value proposition of the Vizio e600 b series (60" or 65") by the time i ship it to canada its going to be in the $1500 vicinity.
So not really a value proposition at that price is it?

Its not the 'movie' TV etc - its the decent living room one that repeatedly gets broken by one of my many children, lol.
Given i cannot return the children, ive decide to get less expensive TV's.

Its a pretty bright room etc - and while plasma's have been OK there (glare wise) id like to change it up unless i bought the samsung F8500 for its impressive brightness for a plasma (which again i dont really want to spend the $2200 this time around)

So that having been said just looking for some help picking one out somewhere in the $1200-$1400 range.
General TV watching , cartoons and sports (hockey, football).
PQ and motion would be the priorities. (well for me anyway - wife and kids dont care lol)

thanks
post #5347 of 5347 Old Today, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
In case you are interested This seller is blowing out these refurb 2014 Vizio 40" E400i-B2 Smart LED HD TV 1080p HDMI Built-in WiFi Internet Apps for $249.00 swinging deal for the $$

I bought a 2013 40" Sony R4 from them it was new and unused only slightly damaged box seller has those also $343.00 . I would buy another!
of the two I would choose the Sony (better panel ) no tax free shipping it got here in 5 days ! dude must have hijacked another container ship he's already sold 343 of those Vizios ! he has other stuff also they sell tons of sets over 1,500 a month good percentage on feedback
top rated plus ebay seller ,not easy to maintain that rating when you sell that much with all the loons out there
I wouldn't think too long about this one B4 thay are gone ! It's not a Sony but not bad has wifi too better than a lot of 40's

Hi all - longtime member way back past the DLP days......back in to help choose a 40" set for living room to go in a certain media cabinet (wifey is one of those "must have doors on it" people so this limits me to a 36.5 wide unit, so I think 40" is where I max out.

Basically I am upgrading a 30" TUBE Panasonic 16:9 with 1080i, one of the first "HDTVs" and it is a heavy beeyotch.

I want BEST VALUE and it seems the Vizio E400i-B2 is probably that, for me. Still looking at the M-series too, as well as Sammy UN40H6350 and Sony KDL-40W600B. But honestly as long as the Vizio is "good" I will probably not pay up the extra couple hundo for those other names. I have a 37" Vizio in the bedroom past 4 years and it is also "fine" for us and I am not a super AVS critic - I just want a TV that will look good and work well.

3 Questions: 1) see several negative reviews on the Vizio due to the remote. Is that just because you need to aim at the lower corner? If yes, I can do that and teach my family to do that. If not then I need to consider.

2) Any reasons I am missing as to why it makes more sense to pay up for a Samsung or Sony? Remember that I am not a super picky, I just want some decent calibration settings.

3) SPECIFICALLY WITH RESPECT TO THE EBAY REFURBS mentioned above, I am very intrigued. For $250 vs $389+tax at Costco, is it worth the risk? I have seen mention of E400s that "clicked" when off or were noisy or other problems. My worry is that I will spend $250 on one of those which are basically returns from Costco or Walmart and then I'll be stuck if I get one that has a problem (and perhaps by definition it will be more likely a problem child if it was returned by someone else). Any thoughts or is it just the old "save $150 and gamble" proposition?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page