the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 179 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5341 of 5343 Old Today, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 268
For sister, One of the Vizio , Samsung 5xxxLCD ,48 W600 Sony or 50l2400U Toshiba . I would lean towards the last 3 personally.
Toshiba 50l24000 /50l1400U scores an average of 4.7 (high ) on BB consumer reviews Sony 4.5 (allowing for statistical variations and loons about the same ) I don't know about the Samsung 5xxx score I'm sure it's good they are decent I almost bought one but couldn't find one with the right panel (s) it made a visual difference to *me* having seen the Sammys both ways .

Ended up with a 2013 40" R4 Sony with a decent Samsung VA panel 4700:1 contrast good blacks no regrets . Real TV around here is a Sammy 60f5300 PDP ☺.

The Soviet people feared the KGB was watching them through their TV's ........or listening to them through their radios, so they kept them turned off often when they wanted privacy .

Now the NSA/ DHS are in fact watching us with our computers cell phones surveillance cameras drones,satellites etc !

Last edited by tubetwister; Today at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5342 of 5343 Old Today, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
According to Amazon the w850a uses Dynamic Edge Lit. Not sure what the Dynamic means but they do not mention FALD. I hope the replacement 70w850b shows no radial banding this time. It's a shame that my current w850a has such pronounced clouding and flash lighting because it is very apparent during any dark scenes. The w850a is selling for under $1800 and under $1500 at some stores while the w850b is still over $2k most places. For the 2014 model year it seems that Sony is not offering a real replacement for the 65w850a. Reviews for the w950 do not compere favoribly at all to the 850a even though the 950 is advertised as the heir. Tubetwister, how do you think the PQ would be today if if they had not moved to LED back lighting and stayed with CCFL?
re tubetwister
You are right no FALD ,edge lit too !my bad ! The dynamic edge light *may be zone dimming * it has Triluminos
though that's a plus ( at least I think it is some say it does nothing without 10 bit color program like 4K ) .
Hope your replacement 70" works out Cnets Katzmier liked the pix lots said it was brighter than the a (or something ) IIRC. !

Good question about the CCFL thing I have a 2012 Toshiba CCFL set thay destroys a lot of newer LEDs
and is very close to and brighter than my 2013 R4 Sony LED. took me a good while to get the pix right on that one
but once that was done it's very good the contrast and blacks on the R4 pretty much match the 2014 800B and handily beat the new W600 Sonys that replaced it imagine that... it gave me reason to wonder where Sony is going these days.

Seems like the CCFL's didn't have all these panel issues either .
I think they went to LED's ultimately to save money and ofc energy . Now they are trying to replace household CCFL with much more expensive LED's the energy and environmental zealots are out of control time for a revolution
get rid of you know who and the cabinet also !
IIRC They had some some real decent Sony 9xx or XBR CCFL .

The Soviet people feared the KGB was watching them through their TV's ........or listening to them through their radios, so they kept them turned off often when they wanted privacy .

Now the NSA/ DHS are in fact watching us with our computers cell phones surveillance cameras drones,satellites etc !

Last edited by tubetwister; Today at 10:29 PM.
post #5343 of 5343 Old Today, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Yep, I agree with you about LED. Personally I think the two main reasons for the advent of LED is thin is sexy and sexy sells. Reason number two, it was originally marketed by Samsung in a manner that led people to think LED was actually some great new technology. They played on the public's awareness of LED and led them to believe that it was something other than just a different way to back light the old LCD technology. Now that it's accepted as the holy grail we'll never know how good CCFL would have become. My guess is that it would be much better than LED is today. TV's may have been a little thicker and heavier but with little or no screen uniformity problems and much better black levels and contrast. Now that LED is saturating the market they have given us 4K, Hey, whatever it takes to sell TV's.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page