the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 183 - AVS Forum
First ... 181  182  183 184  185  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > the "help me choose an LCD" thread
tubetwister's Avatar tubetwister 06:40 PM 07-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertpredator View Post
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a big screen TV, preferably between a 60" and 65". My budget is between $1500-$2300. Viewing distance is about 10 feet away as it will be wall mounted. It will be located in my living room, so lighting is high. I really care about the picture quality, as I have a soundbar for the audio. I am still early in my search, and don't need the TV till October, just trying to get some ideas of what I should look at, or if possible wait for a new model to come out if their is any. Thank you again for anyone that helps.
Just get a Sony 8.5x - 9.5x and don't worry about it and hope you get one with a good panel the first time (true with any large LCD panel )

tubetwister's Avatar tubetwister 06:43 PM 07-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelioran View Post
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if you could help me pick out a new TV--

I would like to purchase a TV that is either 65" or 70", the bigger the better.

Budget: ~1500.00

Seating Distance: Approximately 11-12 ft

Size: 65"-70", its going to be wall mounted so no real placement limitations.

Uses: Mostly movies, with some gaming thrown in. The occasional football game, but not too many sports. 3D is not a priority.

Room Lighting: Its going to be mounted across from some windows, so the room can be pretty bright. Its not bad with the shades down, but it wont get very dark during the day.


I've been looking for decently priced 70" sets, but I've currently had my eye on the Vizio M652i-B2 since it seems to be reviewing well. Any suggestions? Should I look into the Sony 65W850? Stick with a 70 and go with last year's Vizio or the Sharp LC70LE850U? So many choices out there.


Thanks for the help!
65W850 is going to be better than any Visio and Sharp at that price
tubetwister's Avatar tubetwister 06:51 PM 07-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordprefect View Post
Need some help deciding on a TV - replacing a 52" LCoS JVC RPTV.

Budget could be up to $1500, looking to get at least a 60" screen (I may be able to convince the boss to go to 65").

Looking at the Vizio M602i-B3 or Samsung UN60H6300 (BJs/Costco). Smart features don't tip the scales (I have Rokus etc in the house), both look like they perform well to my eye. However, looking for opinions based on experience with movie, tv and sports content -- hard to see all of those at your local warehouse store. The CNET Review gave decent marks to both - I'm mostly concerned with black levels, viewing angles and overall picture quality. Any other input is appreciated - or even new suggestions.

Hope this isn't asking too much. Thanks!
Sony 60W850B or 65W850B
tubetwister's Avatar tubetwister 06:55 PM 07-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike mcdaniel View Post
Thanks for reccomendations. The pool is 20x45 one way and 18x34 the other way. The pool pavilion is 32x20
Cool know who to call on a hot day now want me pick up some cold ones on the way ? .
tubetwister's Avatar tubetwister 07:02 PM 07-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeee112 View Post
need help making a decision i have around $1500 to spend maybe a little more little less

i watch a bunch of comcast cable and i game on ps4 and xbox one a lot, also watch the occasional bluray

I WILL NOT BE USING THE 3D......i have one eye due to unlucky circumstances....it works just fine knock on wood**
i know the sonys have better input lag....but how is the picture quality?

the samsung is nice but doesnt do so hot with games 40ms input lag

at the very least which of those sony tvs are the better tv?

Sony W800B 50 or 55 inch
Sony W850B 60 inch
Samsung H7150 55 inch


id appreciate any help...im stuck in the Internets swirling pool of misinformation and fake reviews
Sony 800B best 4 money vs picture quality W850B only adds mediocre 3D Sammy not bad but not as good PQ
andy sullivan's Avatar andy sullivan 07:22 PM 07-28-2014
Agree with above. In the size range you're looking at Sony gives you the best bang for the buck. In the $2300 range don't rule out the 65s990a which is passive and I think uses a panel similar to the 65850a (S-PVA panel). It is curved but if you read the thread here most love it. The foot print is 65" wide.
wapacz's Avatar wapacz 07:26 PM 07-28-2014
The cheap ILO tv my girlfriend has is on its way out. So its time to start looking for a newer one to replace it. It needs to be around 42 inches, be good at upscaling 480i* and under 500 dollars. Any recommendations are welcomed.

*
She has an older dish dvr and hasn't upgraded to the newer receiver, because she has so much stuff on the dvr that she still wants to watch. So everything for the next few years will be in SD.
andy sullivan's Avatar andy sullivan 09:34 PM 07-28-2014
65x850a or 65x900a? Does one get a better picture or have better features?
tubetwister's Avatar tubetwister 09:50 PM 07-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wapacz View Post
The cheap ILO tv my girlfriend has is on its way out. So its time to start looking for a newer one to replace it. It needs to be around 42 inches, be good at upscaling 480i* and under 500 dollars. Any recommendations are welcomed.

*
She has an older dish dvr and hasn't upgraded to the newer receiver, because she has so much stuff on the dvr that she still wants to watch. So everything for the next few years will be in SD.
SD is crappy on most flat panels tell her to upgrade to HD service or you won't come over there anymore
especially during football season !

Her DVR *may support HD * and only need to be re-configured by installer not hard to do (they know how )
and just require re provisioning + maybe some dish pointing up top by installer. Dish HD uses 3 birds instead of 2 , previously recorded media will remain on device they will provide HDMI cable also ☺ tel # is 1-888-615-3725 ☺


DVR have been like that a long,long time so she might be able to keep her 1970's sitcoms ☺☺
If she has Dish ViP 612 ,622, 622K,722, 722K ~ maybe some others ( ~2004 -2006 + ) they support HD fine
Hopefully she has # 500 dish on roof if not they should provide one with a new 24 mo contract commitment .
hopefully you/she will get an intelligible CSR ha ha If she is out of contract and mo.2 mo. t they might offer a swinging deal check the website . otherwise xtra $10.00 mo make them do service call free or tell them you will go somewhere else as long as they don't have to wire extra rooms they can usually do that and you may not need new DVR


40" Sony W600B ~ $499.00 sometimes a little less (maybe $10.00☺☺)

Last years 42" LG is OK not bad at all (have one and a 40" Sony also ) LG just not as good blacks/contrast for night time pretty good though and $100.00 cheaper good set all in all has S-IPS panel very good view angle .
You could also take a chance on inexpensive (cheap) Vizio with who knows what is inside of it I won't bother to link
xpertpredator's Avatar xpertpredator 10:13 PM 07-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Just get a Sony 8.5x - 9.5x and don't worry about it and hope you get one with a good panel the first time (true with any large LCD panel )
Thank you for you response. I was actually looking at the 950a (the curved one), and the w850b. I haven't seen the 950b yet. Is it worth the price difference from a 60 inch to a 65 inch? Also I was reading that the 950 curved has a more reflective screen.
tubetwister's Avatar tubetwister 10:35 PM 07-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
65x850a or 65x900a? Does one get a better picture or have better features?
S#!t if I know ......Ask Oledvegas in the 8x or 9x forum (depending on what set he auditioning this week ☺ ) he will know he's probably tried almost all of them by now

Good guy also, real videophile , He's got an LG Oled also (hence the name ) so he's a bit spoiled but knows his pictures .

I don't know which Sony he is auditioning this week yet , he's the defacto new Sony beta tester here if he says it's good to go believe it ! I know he was thinking about the new 79" Sony last week he might even keep one of those who knows .☺☺
tubetwister's Avatar tubetwister 10:55 PM 07-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertpredator View Post
Thank you for you response. I was actually looking at the 950a (the curved one), and the w850b. I haven't seen the 950b yet. Is it worth the price difference from a 60 inch to a 65 inch? Also I was reading that the 950 curved has a more reflective screen.
I couldn't tell you about the 65" vs 60" thing that's something you will have to decide or maybe someone else may have an opinion . If you watch mostly SAT/CATV as crappy as HD lite is I would just go with 8x personally unless you are wanting 4K but that wont be on 4K HD lite re transmission for a while

My real TV is a 60" Sammy Plasma ,Sony LED is in my bedroom good set though just no match for a PDP
andy sullivan's Avatar andy sullivan 11:41 PM 07-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertpredator View Post
Thank you for you response. I was actually looking at the 950a (the curved one), and the w850b. I haven't seen the 950b yet. Is it worth the price difference from a 60 inch to a 65 inch? Also I was reading that the 950 curved has a more reflective screen.
Actually it's the 65s990a that is curved. The 65w950b has a nice picture with a fairly matted screen, Probably an IPS panel while the 65s990a has a rather reflective screen, probably a VA panel from somebody. The VA panel gets a stunning picture if you can control light reflecting off the screen. Reflective like a good plasma. Just a guess on my part but since Samsung makes a 65" curved panel it's not a stretch to think Sony is buying that exact same panel from Sammy.
dignam's Avatar dignam 11:57 PM 07-28-2014
See a lot of mentions of the Sony w850 but not if it's the "a" or "b" version.
tubetwister's Avatar tubetwister 06:06 AM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dignam View Post
See a lot of mentions of the Sony w850 but not if it's the "a" or "b" version.
Good question I know W800 /w850B are popular the KDL65W850A is discontinued 2013 model some like B's better although A is Triluminous I belive *some 850B might be also .
wapacz's Avatar wapacz 08:08 AM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post


SD is crappy on most flat panels tell her to upgrade to HD service or you won't come over there anymore
especially during football season !

Her DVR *may support HD * and only need to be re-configured by installer not hard to do (they know how )
and just require re provisioning + maybe some dish pointing up top by installer. Dish HD uses 3 birds instead of 2 , previously recorded media will remain on device they will provide HDMI cable also ☺ tel # is 1-888-615-3725 ☺


DVR have been like that a long,long time so she might be able to keep her 1970's sitcoms ☺☺
If she has Dish ViP 612 ,622, 622K,722, 722K ~ maybe some others ( ~2004 -2006 + ) they support HD fine
Hopefully she has # 500 dish on roof if not they should provide one with a new 24 mo contract commitment .
hopefully you/she will get an intelligible CSR ha ha If she is out of contract and mo.2 mo. t they might offer a swinging deal check the website . otherwise xtra $10.00 mo make them do service call free or tell them you will go somewhere else as long as they don't have to wire extra rooms they can usually do that and you may not need new DVR


40" Sony W600B ~ $499.00 sometimes a little less (maybe $10.00☺☺)

Last years 42" LG is OK not bad at all (have one and a 40" Sony also ) LG just not as good blacks/contrast for night time pretty good though and $100.00 cheaper good set all in all has S-IPS panel very good view angle .
You could also take a chance on inexpensive (cheap) Vizio with who knows what is inside of it I won't bother to link
Considering what ever she has doesn't even have component outputs i am going to guess it doesn't support hdtv. I have tried to get her to upgrade but between her shows she wants to keep and to her seeing no difference between hd and sd its a hard go.


What do you think of the lg 47 inch. I am afraid with the huge border her current one has, one the same size will look small.
Antonio Ferrandis 08:44 AM 07-29-2014
Hello, folks.

My name is Antonio, first message here. I need to buy NOW a new TV but I don´t have a clue, maybe you can help.

To keep it simple, I´ll propose the following options:

1. Panasonic TX 55 AS 640E ---- 1100€
2. Samsung UE55H6410 ---- 1250 €
3. LG 55LB730 ------ 1350 €
4. Samsung UE55H7000------ 1500 €

I don´t need spectacular image quality, just something decent and fast enough for action movies or the occasional videogame session. It´s important that the upscaling is good, as I watch lots of DVDs and SD videos.

Option 1, the Panasonic, is the cheapest one, but I fear that the processor could be outdated so it won´t be able to display smoothly heavy stuff through DNLA. Also, I don´t know if it can display TV content in the tablet through Miracast.

Options 3 and 4 are the most expensive. The LG 730 is slightly cheaper, it can´t display Flash, if I´m not mistaken but I´ve been told that the image quality is a bit better. Also I don´t know if the Samsung 7000 can stream Flash smoothly enough so maybe the lack of Flash issue in the LG is not a problem.

Finally, option 2, the Samsung 6410 is an intermediate option. It has not microdimming so I don´t know if the image quality is much worse than the more expensive 7000.

Thanks in advance.
haristourian 12:29 PM 07-29-2014
Hi everyone, been lurking these forums for quite a while and has helped me understand what i'm really looking for in a TV.

With that being said, i recently purchased a Sharp 70SQ15U and am really not satisfied with the image quality. I've tried numerous calibration settings and still not happy with the image.

I've decided to return the TV and buy the Samsung UN65H7150 after reading about it, looks like it will be a perfect fit for my living room which gets lots of natural daylight (i could barely see anything on the Sharp during the day sitting at an angle).

I'm asking for any advice you would have on this model or even another that would be better for my living room

i really wanted a 70" but will settle with 65". My budget is 3000$ CAD.

Thanks
andy sullivan's Avatar andy sullivan 01:04 PM 07-29-2014
Look at the Sony 70w850b for under $2400 US. Mat screen so not terribly reflective. If the Samsung is using their own S-PVA panel it will be quite reflective even though it gets a good picture partially because of the S-PVA panel.
tubetwister's Avatar tubetwister 01:58 PM 07-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wapacz View Post
Considering what ever she has doesn't even have component outputs i am going to guess it doesn't support hdtv. I have tried to get her to upgrade but between her shows she wants to keep and to her seeing no difference between hd and sd its a hard go.


What do you think of the lg 47 inch. I am afraid with the huge border her current one has, one the same size will look small.

Wow that must must be an old time STB/DVR . ( maybe it will spit it's hard drive soon pummel it when she isn't around maybe ? ☺☺ )


These guys are good for great deals sets are all tested mostly new and unused just out of retail sales channel maybe cancelled orders inventory realignments minor carton damage only things like that .
Saved ton there ,Bought Sony R4 like that from them in Feb '14 it was new and unused except for testing only minor damage on orig shipping carton . fast free shipping (5 days from IL. to Ca. ) no tax 60 day prod warr.( one year on all purchases same as new starting Aug 1 ) top rated plus Paybay seller seller they move about 1500 sets in any given month lots of satisfied customers they have been featured and recommended on Cnet also my next set will be from them as well .

I have an 42" LG here also ( 5 HD panels +1 in garage here ) LG is pretty good set all in all no problems with it lots of adjustment features decent video .
It's a 2013 the LG's have s-ips panels better viewing angles than say a VA panel you might find in a Sony or Samsung
trade off with S-IPS panel is not as good of blacks or contrast for nite viewing in darkened room overall
LG IMO is pretty good set though and decent picture plenty bright for daytime view and not bad at all at night
just doesn't get *as black as VA panel on letterbox borders and things like that .


If going up in screen size HD/SD difference might be more noticeable on a 46" maybe she will get on board.
ofc if you have local OTA broadcast you can pick up an inexpensive indoor antenna for OTA HDTV great for ball games .
( I have one out of sight behind set for occasional use ) OTA usually has better picture than CATV/SAT HD Lite Re transmission (if selected station is not broadcasting too many sub channels within their regulated bandwidth . ) and might persuade GF to upgrade as well .
good luck.
tubetwister's Avatar tubetwister 08:40 PM 07-29-2014
JDP TV customer satisfaction polls did not expect Sony to be so far down the list must be the large panel issues .


vexter0944's Avatar vexter0944 09:47 AM 07-30-2014
I have a Sony KDF-E50A10 that is on it's way out - haven't done research in years and need some advice -

1. Budget
I'd like to stay around $1500

2. Seating distance
7-10 feet away

3. Size/placement limitations
Probably not bigger than a 55-60 - putting on existing stand which is larger than the 50" Sony on it now - might move to wall mount if we move houses

4. Uses and sources
Plan on watching tv/movies and light gaming duty. Sources at this point are almost all from Western Digital TV Live unit - would like something with native or add on Plex App support - wouldn't mind ditching WDTV live with native apps for all content - files can be SD or HD on file server at this time - movies on server are all DVD-5 .iso files - tv is mostly mkv/avi/mp4 - so format can vary

5. Room lighting
Bright room from natural sunlight

3D is not a requirement - but would be nice...
mrwiseguy85's Avatar mrwiseguy85 03:25 PM 07-30-2014
I've tried to educate myself on my TV purchase by reading a lot of reviews and thread posts, and just thought I'd reach out here for any last opinions.

1) Budget: ~$1k
2) Size: 50-55" (Viewing distance is probably 8-9ft)
3) Uses: 40% Gaming, 40% TV, 20% Movies (I don't care about 3D or smart features)
4) Room: Family room, mostly watching TV at night (80%) with a light on dimly to the left of the TV; daytime viewing (20%) will have lots of open blinds with large windows to the sides and in front.

My options and pros/cons from reading around:

Sony 50W800B or 55W800B (w/ EPP discounts)
Pros: Great input lag, decent black levels and colors, Impulse mode conducive to my night-time use.
Cons: Poor off-angle viewing, which may be problematic for my sectional couch arrangement. Iffy quality control it seems.

Panasonic 50AS650 or 55AS650 (w/ EPP discounts)
Pros: The stepdown AS530 reviewed pretty well on CNET - hoping this one could be much better.
Cons: Virtually no information (reviews, feedback, AVS threads) on this panel! Step-down AS530 has NO game mode.

Vizio M552i-B2
Pros: Black levels, price, screen uniformity, community feedback
Cons: Motion processing, not as game-mode friendly; I'm iffy on the brand as a whole

Samsung PN51F5300 (plasma)
Pros: Great for our night-time viewing; blacks, color reproduction, cheap
Cons: It'll wash out in our daytime viewing; fearful of plasma stereotypes (buzzing, heat, IR from gaming); only 51"

I'm pretty town because most of the Cons mentions are important to me, so I guess I'll need to learn to compromise somewhere. Thanks for any input!!!!
towelban 06:11 PM 07-30-2014
Hey guys, I've been looking around on these forums for a while now as my 46" Samsung (LN46D630M3FXZC) suddenly stopped showing the picture (sound works great still but screen is black with no picture at all). I have no idea how to solder and took apart the TV to try and see if I could find a problem but it was the first time I've ever opened the back of a TV and I couldn't figure the problem out so my original investment of ~2300 dollars a very short 2 1/2 years ago seems to be lost.

That being said I began looking at a bunch of TV's that were being sold at a local store and have narrowed it down to a few choices but I am very open to any suggestions you guys would have for me. EDIT: I have absolutely no need for any 3D or SMART TV functions but from what I've seen most new models come with these features anyway...

1. Budget

My budget at this time is firm at $1500(CAD), TV breaking down came at the worst possible time as my water heater just had to be replaced and my kitchen flooded a couple months ago and the repairs are just now being done costing me much more than I had anticipated.

2. Seating distance

Couch sits about 10 feet from the TV stand.

3. Size/placement limitations

Looking to upgrade from the 46" to a 55" but also considering a couple of 50-60". The stand my TV is mounted on now is only good for so much weight but I have a feeling the newer models are much lighter than the 46" on it now so I should be able to get away with the 55".

4. Uses and sources

TV is used for all sorts of things including watching blurays and playing xbox one, having the HD Shaw receiver connected for satellite TV, and it is a MUST to have a USB port that allows videos to be played.

5. Room lighting

The TV sits directly in front of a wide picture window that during the day can get quite bright but this is easily fixed by lowering the curtains, at night it can be very dark in the room so this isn't really a big issue for me..


The TV's that I am currently taking a look at buying are:
Sony 60" (KDL60W630B)
Samsung 55" (UN55H6350) -- this is the one I am leaning towards
Samsung 60" (UN60FH6200) -- also a 55" model of this one (UN55FH6200)

The most important thing for me at this time is having good picture quality for the bluray viewing and also as little lag as possible for the xbox one gaming. Thanks in advance for any help, and if you know how to fix that damn 46" I'd be willing to learn from you!
tubetwister's Avatar tubetwister 08:32 PM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwiseguy85 View Post
I've tried to educate myself on my TV purchase by reading a lot of reviews and thread posts, and just thought I'd reach out here for any last opinions.

1) Budget: ~$1k
2) Size: 50-55" (Viewing distance is probably 8-9ft)
3) Uses: 40% Gaming, 40% TV, 20% Movies (I don't care about 3D or smart features)
4) Room: Family room, mostly watching TV at night (80%) with a light on dimly to the left of the TV; daytime viewing (20%) will have lots of open blinds with large windows to the sides and in front.

My options and pros/cons from reading around:

Sony 50W800B or 55W800B (w/ EPP discounts)
Pros: Great input lag, decent black levels and colors, Impulse mode conducive to my night-time use.
Cons: Poor off-angle viewing, which may be problematic for my sectional couch arrangement. Iffy quality control it seems. WW800B is closest to plasma and real decent no 3D like anybody cares anymore

Panasonic 50AS650 or 55AS650 (w/ EPP discounts)
Pros: The stepdown AS530 reviewed pretty well on CNET - hoping this one could be much better.
Cons: Virtually no information (reviews, feedback, AVS threads) on this panel! Step-down AS530 has NO game mode.



Vizio M552i-B2
Pros: Black levels, price, screen uniformity, community feedback
Cons: Motion processing, not as game-mode friendly; I'm iffy on the brand as a whole

Samsung PN51F5300 (plasma)
Pros: Great for our night-time viewing; blacks, color reproduction, cheap
Cons: It'll wash out in our daytime viewing; fearful of plasma stereotypes (buzzing, heat, IR from gaming); only 51"

I'm pretty town because most of the Cons mentions are important to me, so I guess I'll need to learn to compromise somewhere. Thanks for any input!!!!
You think Sony has iffy quality control go ahead and buy the Viseo
Sammy PN51f 5300 is best picture and will work fine in a normal light controlled room eg, blinds or whatever you have just not facing sun good gamer also watcher, my real TV is a 60" Sammy plasma watch in daytime no prob corner placement helps reflects no buzz on mine might see if you can score a 60"
Sony 8x is decent I also have a 2013 Sony LED best picture in class 2013 or 2014 model .

If you want to take a chance on a Vizio that's your problem just don't expect ant sympathy here
Panny might not be too bad.......... you know Panny doesn't make those right ?

All the new thin LEDs are having panel issues on the larger sets it's like a lottery now to get a good panel no matter the brand they all get thier panels from maybe 4 suppliers .

These guys are good for great deals sets are all tested mostly new and unused just out of retail sales channel maybe cancelled orders inventory realignments minor carton damage only things like that .
Saved ton there ,Bought Sony like that from them in Feb '14 it was new and unused except for testing only minor damage on orig shipping carton . fast free shipping (5 days from IL. to Ca. ) no tax one year same as new warranty starting 8./1/14 prod warr. top rated plus Paybay seller seller they move about 1500 sets in any given month lots of satisfied customers they have been featured and recommended on Cnet also my next set will be from them as well .
mrwiseguy85's Avatar mrwiseguy85 09:21 PM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
You think Sony has iffy quality control go ahead and buy the Viseo
Sammy PN51f 5300 is best picture and will work fine in a normal light controlled room eg, blinds or whatever you have just not facing sun good gamer also watcher, my real TV is a 60" Sammy plasma watch in daytime no prob corner placement helps reflects no buzz on mine might see if you can score a 60"
Sony 8x is decent I also have a 2013 Sony LED best picture in class 2013 or 2014 model .

If you want to take a chance on a Vizio that's your problem just don't expect ant sympathy here
Panny might not be too bad.......... you know Panny doesn't make those right ?

All the new thin LEDs are having panel issues on the larger sets it's like a lottery now to get a good panel no matter the brand they all get thier panels from maybe 4 suppliers .

These guys are good for great deals sets are all tested mostly new and unused just out of retail sales channel maybe cancelled orders inventory realignments minor carton damage only things like that .
Saved ton there ,Bought Sony like that from them in Feb '14 it was new and unused except for testing only minor damage on orig shipping carton . fast free shipping (5 days from IL. to Ca. ) no tax one year same as new warranty starting 8./1/14 prod warr. top rated plus Paybay seller seller they move about 1500 sets in any given month lots of satisfied customers they have been featured and recommended on Cnet also my next set will be from them as well .
Thanks Tubetwister. To clarify: I love Sony products and my family has owned multiple Sony CRTs in the past that lasted incredibly long product lives. I only mentioned the iffy quality control because of a recent thread on here from a retailer who stocked Sonys and mentioned multiple problems with their 2014 units. Maybe I should've taken that with a grain of salt.

The Sony is definitely my frontrunner. The plasma is an interesting option but I do not have the space for 60". So therefore, I am compromising my maximum size (55") down to 51", plus taking a risk with the reflectiveness. The F8500 series is out of my budget. I'll see if I can post a picture in the next few days of my living room in daylight. Plus, this seems silly but my TV is on the opposite of the wall that has our thermostat - don't want a plasma baking the thermostat, haha.

Vizio I'm tepid towards, and Panasonic LED is intriguing, but just no information on it. I've heard without their plasma sets they need to step their LED game up, so I am hopeful for this year's options.

I'll do some more reading and eventually make up my mind!
tubetwister's Avatar tubetwister 11:00 PM 07-30-2014
PDP won't bake a thermostat at much more than 1 ft away maybe 2 but 1 should be plenty new PDP doesn't easybake oven like old ones .
I'm watching my Sony LED right now great picture .
dignam's Avatar dignam 09:59 PM 07-31-2014
Gonna try a simple version. I want to get a 65-75" (70 ideal). I care about PQ above all else and 3D is important. Don't care about sound or smart features. Will get wall mounted, directv, htpc, xbone sources. I like the idea of future proofing with 4k but not sure how necessary it really is. Will be about 10 feet away. Would like to stay close to $2.0 could go higher if deemed needed for 4k. $3.0 probably the 4k ceiling.

I really like clean look of the Sony x850b. Sone of the big speakers others have attached ruin the look a bit for me. But I'm sure I could manage if the picture quality and price are right!

Thanks!
Landsharkk's Avatar Landsharkk 10:41 PM 07-31-2014
I am about to buy one of these two TV's, they are the same price from the store I'm getting them at, so just looking for any red flags on either one.



First choice - SHARP AQUOS LC-70C6500U

Second choice - Samsung UN65F6350 (also known as UN65F6300)


Obvious difference is the size, the Sharp being 5 inches bigger.

I'm heavily leaning towards the Sharp, but thought I'd consider other options in the price range and found the Samsung.

I'm doing mostly gaming with Xbox One on my TV, currently I have a Mitsubishi WD-65833 DLP (which is great, just looking for something newer now).

Priorities are good contrast ratio and low input lag (for gaming), I'm assuming picture quality will be on-par if not better than my DLP.


Is there any reason to choose one over the other or should I just stick with the larger 70" sharp?

Thanks!
Weston Konik 11:17 PM 07-31-2014
currently have a 24" TN gaming monitor. looking to get something for my blu-ray collection. any suggestions on:

- 32"/39"
- under $400
- decent picture quality (i assume anything i get will have better PQ than my gaming monitor lol)
- REALLY want REAL 24p playback (wouldn't ANY native 120hz monitor be able to do 24p when forced by my PS3?)
- 1080p
- doesn't need 3D or Wifi, but Netflix/Amazon would be a plus.

currently looking at:

- Panasonic TC-40AS520U
- Samsung UN40FH6030
- USED Samsung UN32F6300
and some other 60hz tvs, like the new 32" Vizio M series
Tags: Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
First ... 181  182  183 184  185  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop