the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 185 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5521 of 5860 Old 08-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Member
 
dmaxdmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thinking, not honking!
dmaxdmax is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5522 of 5860 Old 08-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Member
 
dmaxdmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Samsung 55" UN55H6300AF

This is the item at costco for $999. I saw it in store and confirmed it's version UH02 which I think means a good (not Chinese) panel.
dmaxdmax is offline  
post #5523 of 5860 Old 08-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Newbie
 
JayZ750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TV for large, bright living room.

Want 70+ inches

1. Budget - $3500 max, including peripherals (wall mount)
2. Seating distance - 10 - 17 feet
3. Size/placement limitations - bigger is better. fi the room wasn't so well lit by natural light, i'd look into projector
4. Uses and sources - dish network, blue ray, LOTS OF STREAMING. No gaming. 3D not important.
5. Room lighting - bright open windows
Mounting - will need a wall mount (ideally)
Sound - i have no system. sound isn't #1 priority for me. tv needs to produce good sound, then later on will upgrade to something
Viewing Angle - straight on

I have no brand preference, other than knowing the Vizio's produce large, solid tv's around my budget

I don't have to buy today. I can wait 6 months if necessary for something to come out.

THANKS!
JayZ750 is offline  
post #5524 of 5860 Old 08-10-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 2,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZ750 View Post
TV for large, bright living room.

Want 70+ inches

1. Budget - $3500 max, including peripherals (wall mount)
2. Seating distance - 10 - 17 feet
3. Size/placement limitations - bigger is better. fi the room wasn't so well lit by natural light, i'd look into projector
4. Uses and sources - dish network, blue ray, LOTS OF STREAMING. No gaming. 3D not important.
5. Room lighting - bright open windows
Mounting - will need a wall mount (ideally)
Sound - i have no system. sound isn't #1 priority for me. tv needs to produce good sound, then later on will upgrade to something
Viewing Angle - straight on

I have no brand preference, other than knowing the Vizio's produce large, solid tv's around my budget

I don't have to buy today. I can wait 6 months if necessary for something to come out.

THANKS!
You are probably going tp be wanting one of these ,

http://store.sony.com/69.5-diag-w850...ll-Sony-HD-TVs
Should be a decent Samsung SPVA-2 panel . ofc that panel would be active 3D

Or if you want 4K UHD one of these for some more (lots more ) mullah . (this one will be brighter of two )

http://store.sony.com/69.5-diag-x850...ll-Sony-HD-TVs
Has passive 3D probably (likley ) LGD or maybe AUO panel .

Some of the folks here have reporting returning Sharps (and other large panels ) for not so hot pictures and exchanging for either Sony with good results .

I believe the Vizzeo <sic> uses a Sharp ASV panel .......... not so hot AFAIK .

New models wont be out until ~ 03/15 and usually start hitting stores in mid APR.
no new miraculous LCD panel tech coming out soon so no reason to wait .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-10-2014 at 12:27 PM.
tubetwister is online now  
post #5525 of 5860 Old 08-10-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 2,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax View Post
Samsung 55" UN55H6300AF

This is the item at costco for $999. I saw it in store and confirmed it's version UH02 which I think means a good (not Chinese) panel.
New Sony Model: KDL55W700B in the wild now probably decent AUO or Samsung SPVA-2 panel (no 3D) probably better than 6000 series Samsung which AFAIK are just OK but nothing to write home about.
B.B has them @ $999.00

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
tubetwister is online now  
post #5526 of 5860 Old 08-10-2014, 12:47 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Needing a new TV asap. My 57" 2007 Mitsubishi just died on me.

I really wanted the XBR 65x900b but $4,000 is going to be out of my price range unfortunately. I'm pretty bummed out about it.
I'm not sure how important 4k is. I would like my tv to be somewhat future proof. If 4K makes my ps4 games look better, I'm all for it.

Size: 65" - 70" bigger is always better, even though I'm in an apartment.
Budget: $2000 for certain - to possibly $2500 if I can manage to get a few hundred extra
Usage: PS4 Games primarily with Netflix and downloaded movies, Needs Low input lag
Viewing Angle: Straight on
No mounting or accessories

Please help guys, I've been researching all weekend and having a hard time deciding.

Last edited by TenaciousB; 08-10-2014 at 01:48 PM.
TenaciousB is offline  
post #5527 of 5860 Old 08-10-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
slateef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Heaven
Posts: 1,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking for a good but relatively inexpensive 70" TV.

I've narrowed it down to Sharp versus Vizio, mostly due to price.

Is Sharp a better choice? If so, why? Any recommendations would be much appreciated (specific model #'s would be very helpful, please).

Thanks!

I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.
slateef is online now  
post #5528 of 5860 Old 08-10-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 2,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousB View Post
Needing a new TV asap. My 57" 2007 Mitsubishi just died on me.

I really wanted the XBR 65x900b but $4,000 is going to be out of my price range unfortunately. I'm pretty bummed out about it.
I'm not sure how important 4k is. I would like my tv to be somewhat future proof. If 4K makes my ps4 games look better, I'm all for it.

Size: 65" - 70" bigger is always better, even though I'm in an apartment.
Budget: $2000 for certain - to possibly $2500 if I can manage to get a few hundred extra
Usage: PS4 Games primarily with Netflix and downloaded movies, Needs Low input lag
Viewing Angle: Straight on
No mounting or accessories

Please help guys, I've been researching all weekend and having a hard time deciding.
You should be wanting one of these ,
http://store.sony.com/64.5-diag-w950...id-Sony-HD-TVs

or one of these

http://store.sony.com/69.5-diag-w850...ll-Sony-HD-TVs
Should be a decent Samsung SPVA-2 panel . ofc that panel would be active 3D

Sharp and Vizzeo <sic>large panels have not so hot Sharp ASV panels at this price point .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-10-2014 at 06:05 PM.
tubetwister is online now  
post #5529 of 5860 Old 08-10-2014, 08:47 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How are these compared to the Sony W600b and W700b (both $650)?

Samsung UN46EH5000FXZC - 46" 1080p LED 60hz - $568.98 at bestbuy

Samsung PN51F5300BFXZC - 51" 1080p Plasma 600hz - $649.99 at bestbuy

Sony KDL50W790B - 50" 1080p LED Smart 120Hz - $999.99 at Bestbuy

Samsung UN55H6203 - 55" 1080p LED Smart 120Hz - $999.99 at Bestbuy

Which is the better buy for watching sports (hockey and baseball) and video games?
monicaplz is offline  
post #5530 of 5860 Old 08-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Member
 
dmaxdmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
New Sony Model: KDL55W700B in the wild now probably decent AUO or Samsung SPVA-2 panel (no 3D) probably better than 6000 series Samsung which AFAIK are just OK but nothing to write home about.
B.B has them @ $999.00
This set looks amazing on the web - I'll take a trip to BB tomorrow to check it out.

Thank you!
dmaxdmax is offline  
post #5531 of 5860 Old 08-10-2014, 10:46 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Would love any suggestions:

Budget - $500, might go a little higher if it's worth it.
Seating distance - 5 - 10 feet.
Size/placement limitations - I'm willing to move things around to suit the TV.
Uses and sources - primarily gaming with occasional Blu-ray/Netflix. Don't need 3D or smart TV features.
Room lighting - fairly well lit, though I have thick curtains I don't mind using when watching TV.


Ideally it would be 1080p and greater than 40 inches. I'm Canadian too, if it matters.

Thanks!
batman5 is offline  
post #5532 of 5860 Old 08-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Member
 
gopanthersgo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Blanco, TX
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got a travel trailer and wanting to replace the cheap 26&quot; TV it came with with a nice 32&quot; one.<br />
<br />
1. Budget - $300 tops<br />
2. Seating distance - 2 (the kids aging Xbox, sometimes me too) to 10 feet<br />
3. Size/placement limitations - the cabinet is 30&quot; x 23&quot;<br />
4. Uses and sources - bluray and games (1080p is a must)<br />
5. Room lighting - well lit to pitch black
6. Mounting - 200mm Vesa
7. Sound - Using my own system
8. Viewing Angle - straight on to a 30° angle
9. Time frame - ASAP

Last edited by gopanthersgo1; 08-11-2014 at 09:18 AM.
gopanthersgo1 is offline  
post #5533 of 5860 Old 08-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Member
 
SuperMiguel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TV for 900 sq ft apartment, 13'x15'6" living room

Want 65+ inches

1. Budget - $2500 max, including warranty
2. Seating distance - 10 feet
3. Size/placement limitations - I can fit as big as 75"
4. Uses and sources - Verizon FIOS DVR box, blue ray, streaming (lots of it Netflix) . PS4 gaming. 3D not important.
5. Room lighting - bright open windows
6. Mounting - Dont care
7. Sound - Have samsung hw-h550
8. Viewing Angle - straight on
9. Time frame - 1-2 months

THANKS!

Last edited by SuperMiguel; 09-15-2014 at 05:48 AM.
SuperMiguel is offline  
post #5534 of 5860 Old 08-11-2014, 09:11 AM
Member
 
dmaxdmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does history suggest prices will drop for Labor Day?
dmaxdmax is offline  
post #5535 of 5860 Old 08-11-2014, 01:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, long time lurker here. Looking for a 55" set with the best picture quality available in my price range.

1. Budget
$1000-$1200

2. Seating distance
7-12 feet.

3. Size/placement limitations
Will likely be on an entertainment center, but if I ever mount it the location will be over the fireplace (which I really don't want, but since I'm renting I can't exactly reconfigure the room)

4. Uses and sources
All sources go through AVR. Mostly for games, Netflix, some sports, and htpc.

PS3
Xbox 360
Wii U
Cable box
Htpc

5. Room lighting
Brightness isn't an issue. Blinds and curtains on all windows, and lighting can be low enough and at enough of an angle to not cause glare. I do plan on eventually retiring this set to the bedroom, so that might factor in a little.

I've been looking at the Samsung un55h6350, LG 55lb6300, and Sony kbl55w800b. However, I just saw the Sony kbl55700b on the best buy site and was intrigued since I couldn't care less about 3d.

Basically, I would like to know the best picture quality and build quality of those four. If the Sony 700 is comparable to the 800 but just without 3d, I'd narrow it down to the 700 and the other two. I'm not concerned about off angle viewing, and while low input lag would be nice, it's not a priority.

Oh, and I'm doing all this after getting a vizio m552i-b2 with only one working input, so no more vizio for me.

Thanks for the help!
odumchumblee is offline  
post #5536 of 5860 Old 08-11-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 2,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by odumchumblee View Post
Hello, long time lurker here. Looking for a 55" set with the best picture quality available in my price range.

1. Budget
$1000-$1200

2. Seating distance
7-12 feet.

3. Size/placement limitations
Will likely be on an entertainment center, but if I ever mount it the location will be over the fireplace (which I really don't want, but since I'm renting I can't exactly reconfigure the room)

4. Uses and sources
All sources go through AVR. Mostly for games, Netflix, some sports, and htpc.

PS3
Xbox 360
Wii U
Cable box
Htpc

5. Room lighting
Brightness isn't an issue. Blinds and curtains on all windows, and lighting can be low enough and at enough of an angle to not cause glare. I do plan on eventually retiring this set to the bedroom, so that might factor in a little.

I've been looking at the Samsung un55h6350, LG 55lb6300, and Sony kbl55w800b. However, I just saw the Sony kbl55700b on the best buy site and was intrigued since I couldn't care less about 3d.

Basically, I would like to know the best picture quality and build quality of those four. If the Sony 700 is comparable to the 800 but just without 3d, I'd narrow it down to the 700 and the other two. I'm not concerned about off angle viewing, and while low input lag would be nice, it's not a priority.

Oh, and I'm doing all this after getting a vizio m552i-b2 with only one working input, so no more vizio for me.

Thanks for the help!
If 3D is not an issue W700B should be fine Sammy 6xxx aren't that hot AFAIK and LG 6xxx have the usual S-IPS panel lower contrast and black level blues for dark room watching .
700B should have either AUO AMVA or Samsung SPVA-2 panel both will have good black/contrast .(most important panel spec. )

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-11-2014 at 07:55 PM.
tubetwister is online now  
post #5537 of 5860 Old 08-11-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 2,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by monicaplz View Post
How are these compared to the Sony W600b and W700b (both $650)?

Samsung UN46EH5000FXZC - 46" 1080p LED 60hz - $568.98 at bestbuy

Samsung PN51F5300BFXZC - 51" 1080p Plasma 600hz - $649.99 at bestbuy

Sony KDL50W790B - 50" 1080p LED Smart 120Hz - $999.99 at Bestbuy

Samsung UN55H6203 - 55" 1080p LED Smart 120Hz - $999.99 at Bestbuy

Which is the better buy for watching sports (hockey and baseball) and video games?
IMO .Sony KDL50W790B - 50" 1080p LED Smart 120Hz - $999.99 at Bestbuy


The W790B ( W800B US ) is arguably superior to the W600B and W700B (and the other LCD listed) better panel and all I would probably choose the W600B over the 42 "W700B due to panel differences

PN51F5300BFXZC Plasma would have the best picture overall if not watching frequent hockey
on mostly white backgrounds a plasma ABL(automatic brightness limiter) can kick in limiting brightness giving the the hockey field a very slight annoying to me grey tint then there are static image retention issues with Plasma and gaming they do game very well though ( I have a Sammy plasma here along with 4 LED sets ) great for movies and TV next best on list and very good is Sony 800B followed by other 2 Sonys IMO all the Sonys are decent game sets with the 800B ,700B and 600B. in descending order of min to max game lag . I prefer the Sony LED here for Hockey .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-12-2014 at 03:14 AM.
tubetwister is online now  
post #5538 of 5860 Old 08-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Member
 
SuperMiguel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMiguel View Post
TV for 900 sq ft apartment, 13'x15'6" living room

Want 65+ inches

1. Budget - $2500 max, including warranty
2. Seating distance - 10 feet
3. Size/placement limitations - I can fit as big as 75"
4. Uses and sources - Verizon FIOS DVR box, blue ray, streaming (lots of it Netflix) . PS4 gaming. 3D not important.
5. Room lighting - bright open windows
6. Mounting - Dont care
7. Sound - Have samsung hw-h550
8. Viewing Angle - straight on
9. Time frame - 1-2 months

THANKS!
bump
SuperMiguel is offline  
post #5539 of 5860 Old 08-12-2014, 04:33 AM
Member
 
LeahOlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMiguel View Post
TV for 900 sq ft apartment, 13'x15'6" living room

Want 65+ inches

1. Budget - $2500 max, including warranty
2. Seating distance - 10 feet
3. Size/placement limitations - I can fit as big as 75"
4. Uses and sources - Verizon FIOS DVR box, blue ray, streaming (lots of it Netflix) . PS4 gaming. 3D not important.
5. Room lighting - bright open windows
6. Mounting - Dont care
7. Sound - Have samsung hw-h550
8. Viewing Angle - straight on
9. Time frame - 1-2 months

THANKS!
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65H7150-65-Inch-1080p-240Hz/dp/B00ID2HIJS/

65 Inch Samsung for $2100. Has all the smart tv options and whistles you probably dont need so no need to spend 2500 for a great TV.

Last edited by LeahOlin; 08-12-2014 at 07:53 AM.
LeahOlin is offline  
post #5540 of 5860 Old 08-12-2014, 05:43 AM
Member
 
SuperMiguel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahOlin View Post
www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65H7150-65-Inch-1080p-240Hz/dp/B00ID2HIJS/

65 Inch Samsung for $2100. Has all the smart tv options and whistles you probably dont need so no need to spend 2500 for a great TV.
how does that tv compares with the Vizio P702ui or the Vizio M702i
SuperMiguel is offline  
post #5541 of 5860 Old 08-12-2014, 07:58 AM
Member
 
SuperMiguel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
also besides that living room tv i need to buy another one... so i currently have a Samsung UN46D8000 in my office and my bedroom tv just died, so i need another tv... My choices are get a new bedroom tv, or move this UN46D8000 into the bedroom and buy a new tv for my gaming office...

I use the UN46D8000 100% for ps4/xbox one gaming 100%!!!, so is there a better tv than my UN46D8000 for gaming? around $1000 size 40"+
SuperMiguel is offline  
post #5542 of 5860 Old 08-12-2014, 08:43 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All,

Brand new user. Looking for an investment for my new apartment. Living room in decent space.

1. Budget - $1000-1800 or so max
2. Seating distance - Not sure, but decent sized room for NYC
3. Size/placement limitations - Was thinking 60 inch
4. Uses and sources - Time Warner or RCN HD Cable mostly and blueray/xbox
5. Room lighting - 3 small windows that wont face the TV
6. Mounting - Dont care
7. Sound - Stock sound for now but not a big sound buff
8. Viewing Angle - straight on
9. Time frame - within the next few weeks

Also, would prefer to go LED, smart TV with built in WIFI. Looking for the best possible non-plasma picture. Would like to go with good reputable brand.

Thanks,
mretrade is offline  
post #5543 of 5860 Old 08-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Member
 
masteraleph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking at TVs in the 40-48" range, sub-$500.

Options I've looked at:

Vizio M422i-b1
Vizio E480i-b2
Sony KDL40W590B (supposedly identical to 600B, sold specifically at Costco)

Any thoughts? Other suggestions?
masteraleph is offline  
post #5544 of 5860 Old 08-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Member
 
KonaBound2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Budget:

$1900 or less

TV Size:

65" at minimum

Seating:

Mainly straight on, about 12-14' with more viewing from dining area behind with open floorplan. Minimal lighting issues....couple windows on side of room but we mainly use in evenings anyway.

Usage:

50% sports on tv
30% channel flipping with Direct TV Genie
18% Netflix Movies and Kids Movies in particular
2% gaming via PS3 - COD and Guitar Hero is about it

Sound:

Not a huge deal...will likely pick up a sound bar similar to Energy Power Bar or something else that is a good deal in $200 range.

3D:

MAYBE....not a must but if the best TV in our price range has it then that is ok too.



Other Misc - the wall is big and the room is pretty open. We will likely hang on the wall and try to make the setup as clean as possible. We are not tied to any brand and I would say that PQ is the biggest factor for us. Watching Duke win the Nat'l Championship on a beautiful screen only adds to my enjoyment

I'm also curious as to if there will be any good deals coming up near labor day as well. We are always watching deals at Best Buy, HH Gregg, etc.


Thanks in advance!
KonaBound2010 is offline  
post #5545 of 5860 Old 08-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Newbie
 
Tych-0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello helpful forum members! I'm in the market for a new TV and would appreciate some advice.


1. Budget
I'm budgeting about $3000, though I would be very happy to spend less, but can also spend more to get what I want. So, I'm a little flexible.


2. Seating distance
8-10', most seating will be quite central, but it's open concept with the kitchen off to the side. It would be nice if wifey could have a nice view of the TV as she is cooking without nasty gamma shift.


3. Size/placement limitations
I was thinking 65" as it would be a very nice fit, though I would also consider anything 60-70". Will be mounted above a (fake, no real heat) fireplace, so the bottom of the TV will be about 5' from the floor.


4. Uses and sources
Streaming and cable TV, gaming (PS4, possibly a Steam box soon, input lag will be a factor for me), Blu-ray and DVDs currently via a PS3, but may upgrade if it makes sense to do so. I also watch NHL hockey semi regularly.


5. Room lighting
In a well lit room with lots of windows, however no direct sunlight . I do have good light control via blinds for more serious viewing.


6. Other considerations

I'm leanign towards a 4k set, but 1080p isn't completely off the table.

I'm colour blind (almost 1 in 10 males are), while contrary to popular belief that does not mean I can't appreciate vibrant colours, it does mean shadow detail is quite important to me. I would enjoy the 3D, but it's not the most important feature, I'd take good 3D as a bonus. Streaming options would be nice, but I can see myself building a htpc, or steam box if the TV isn't sufficiently good at it.

I originally had my eye on the Vizio P series, though it looks like I will not be able to get those here in Canada. I've also been eying up the Sony 65X850B, but the shadow detail on these units sounds slightly disappointing.

I'm not in a huge rush, though I would purchase the TV this week if it's the right fit.

Thank you ahead of time to any who are generous enough to reply. Please let me know if any other information would be helpful.

Last edited by Tych-0; 08-12-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Tych-0 is offline  
post #5546 of 5860 Old 08-12-2014, 01:20 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone,


I have read a lot of reviews on 60 inch televisions over the last few weeks and keep coming back to Sony KDL60W630B( On sale 1199 at BB right now), and the 2014 Vizio M series 60 inch. (1149). My budget is about 1200 or under, I am primarily weighing these two set's based on a few factors:


1) Input lag, It has been hard to get a definable answer on this both the M series and the Sony KDL60W630B in particular. Other Sony models have been around 18-30 MS. The Vizio in game mode from my research tests around 30-40 MS so slightly higher than Sony on average. For gaming purposes I am wondering if the Sony KDL60W630B would be the better option between the two?


2) PQ second to Lag, they both get good reviews in general here however I am liking the backlight vzio led compared to sony'e edge lit when comparing these two models. Does Vizio win this side by side comparison?


Overall vizio has come a long way with their current line I am a little bit leery though to go Vizio, due to the fact I purchased a 2012 sharp aquos quatron model (60 inch) it has a solid blue pixel line burned down the middle after 1.5 years of use so I am also questioning long term quality with vizio compared to sony? I know sony doesn't typically make their own panels though...


Thoughts guys ?, the vizio seems to have a slight edge but I am leaning towards a know commodity in Sony? Main concern input lag on either the vizio or sony being better than current sharp aquos model
Paul Chacos is offline  
post #5547 of 5860 Old 08-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mretrade View Post
Hi All,

Brand new user. Looking for an investment for my new apartment. Living room in decent space.

1. Budget - $1000-1800 or so max
2. Seating distance - Not sure, but decent sized room for NYC
3. Size/placement limitations - Was thinking 60 inch
4. Uses and sources - Time Warner or RCN HD Cable mostly and blueray/xbox
5. Room lighting - 3 small windows that wont face the TV
6. Mounting - Dont care
7. Sound - Stock sound for now but not a big sound buff
8. Viewing Angle - straight on
9. Time frame - within the next few weeks

Also, would prefer to go LED, smart TV with built in WIFI. Looking for the best possible non-plasma picture. Would like to go with good reputable brand.

Thanks,
bump. I have been stuck between a lot of Samsung and Sony units. I just want the best picture possible with some features.
mretrade is offline  
post #5548 of 5860 Old 08-12-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 2,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by mretrade View Post
bump. I have been stuck between a lot of Samsung and Sony units. I just want the best picture possible with some features.
https://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/sony/w850b

https://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lc.../w850b/compare

https://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lc.../w850b/compare

https://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lc.../w850b/compare

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-12-2014 at 05:01 PM.
tubetwister is online now  
post #5549 of 5860 Old 08-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks man. That is an awesome website. Pretty much what I have been debating. Samsung H8150, Samsung 6400, and the Sony 850b. The funny thing is, this website has made me OCD about black crush lol and ghosting.

Deciding between these televisions is going to make me really have to prioritize between gaming, features, and picture quality. I think in reality, I will be happy with all 3 and I am just being picky.
mretrade is offline  
post #5550 of 5860 Old 08-12-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 2,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by mretrade View Post
Thanks man. That is an awesome website. Pretty much what I have been debating. Samsung H8150, Samsung 6400, and the Sony 850b. The funny thing is, this website has made me OCD about black crush lol and ghosting.

Deciding between these televisions is going to make me really have to prioritize between gaming, features, and picture quality. I think in reality, I will be happy with all 3 and I am just being picky.
that's a cool site better than C net by a mile ?

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
tubetwister is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off