Forum Jump: 

post #5611 of 5624 Old Yesterday, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by coonana View Post
Thanks, Ive been looking in to it. Know about their input lag and response times?
I'm not a gamer so I haven't paid much attention but people seem to like it. My sense had been get the Sony for games and the Samsung for movies. That may be true but the Sony looked so stinking good I'm going for it.
tubetwister likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5612 of 5624 Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hi i need recommandation on a 4k tv my budget is $1.5-$2k im planning 50 inch but not more than 60inch ill be using it for movies and tv shows. And my wife samsung so any recommendations on samsung brands are welcome. Btw the room is living room and i have 1 window opening.
post #5613 of 5624 Old Yesterday, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
IMO Samsung UN65H6300 is better ............. because it's not a not a Vizio ☺ and doesn't use a Sharp ASV panel
Care to elaborate? Thanks
post #5614 of 5624 Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGATURON View Post
Hi i need recommandation on a 4k tv my budget is $1.5-$2k im planning 50 inch but not more than 60inch ill be using it for movies and tv shows. And my wife samsung so any recommendations on samsung brands are welcome. Btw the room is living room and i have 1 window opening.
I'm in the same boat. I'm leaning towards the 8550 55" Samsung. Great blacks and great colors. Price is at the top of your budget but will be worth it.
tubetwister likes this.
post #5615 of 5624 Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper62 View Post
Care to elaborate? Thanks
Try reading the owners threads here might be able to give you more info TBH on LCD I would buy Sony then Samsung maybe Panasonic or Toshiba and never Visio. I have 2013 Samsung Plasma ,2013 Sony LED and late 2012 Toshiba LED they all spank anything out of Viseo including the one UR looking at with the Sharp ASV panel, the 55" Viseo might have a better panel it seems to be one of the better Visio picture wise when I saw it and that's what folks say . The Samsung is decent .

I'm not a fan of Viseo local dimming or frame dimming either. IMO too inaccurate and slow not enough dimming zones crushes dark and black detail among other things can reduce overall brightness and they like to clip whites Thats what I saw when I looked at them so did Rtings.com + who knows whats in those things. just go back a handful of pages in this thread and read comments on the Sony's ,Samsung is decent also as long U get one with a Samsung or maybe an AUO panel in it .

IMO in that price range U R better off with a better panel and video processing to begin with that doesn't need that stuff in the first place such as you would be likely to find in a Sony or Samsung or Toshiba or Panasonic .

IMO U need to spend about 4 large to get a set with decent (FALD )local dimming something something like a Sony 65X900B 4K Ultra HD TV or something like that lots more zones and lots of other stuff to go with it you ain't going to see in a Visio at least not the B or M models the Visio Pee <sic> isn't out yet so nobody knows about that yet .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; Yesterday at 09:43 AM.
post #5616 of 5624 Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, lightning took out my LN55B650 as well as 2 other tv's, so I need a replacement.

1. Budget ~$2000 but lower is better. If there's a unit that is just absolutely awesome but a couple hundred over budget I may be able to stretch it, but not 25% over budget.
2. Seating distance ~ 10-12ft
3. Size/placement limitations -***Edit: Size preferred 60"-70" Placed on entertainment stand, but will likely wall mount soon.
4. Uses and sources - 40% DirecTV (kids shows, sports, lots of HD content), 50% Movies (mostly from HTPC, but some from BD and DVD), 10% online content (mostly just youtube with the kids, but would like to utilize for Netflix, HULU, etc.)
5. Room lighting - Semi-controlled. TV on wall adjacent to windows. Dark thick curtains, but not blackout. However, most of the important viewing is at night so natural light isn't much issue.

Don't really care about 3D, but if it has it it will surely be novel for the 3 young kids. Most critical is clarity of the picture, dark blacks, basically as much cinematic quality as possible. Prefer to have faster refresh for sports. Oh, and no curved screens please.

Smart features would be appreciated.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by scfoxman; Yesterday at 10:55 AM.
post #5617 of 5624 Old Yesterday, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sharp LC-70UQ17U or Sony XBR-65X850B?

Sharp LC-70UQ17U or Sony XBR-65X850B? Would primarily be used as a monitor for general PC usage, PC gaming and console gaming. Just looking for recommendations to help me decide. 5 more inch of screen or go with 4k (which is just a novelty at the moment, but a 4k TV might be more future-proof). Response time, heat omission are the only other things for me to consider. I've read some reviews and impressions for both, but I'm torn. If anyone will weigh in, I'd appreciate it.
post #5618 of 5624 Old Today, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

With Sony, I only saw one model at PC Richards that was 32". It was the Sony KDL32R420B, but I'm disappointed that it was 720p instead of 1080p. I was hoping to upgrade to 1080p at this point, but it seems like all the non-Samsung 32" HDTVs now are all garbage.

I may have to just go with the Sony even though it's only 720p. Surprisingly, when I was at the store, the Sony seem to have better picture quality than many of the other 32" TVs that were 1080p. Now that was ironinc. You'd think the higher resolution TVs would look better. So, maybe I'm going crazy.

Last weekend I bought the Sony KDL32R420B for my bedroom. On a TV that size, 720P works out just fine.

I bought it at a retail outlet so I could do an easy return if I got a bad TV. Sales tax holiday, so it actually was cheaper to buy local than via an on line purchase like Amazon.

No dead pixels, clean screen, with a nice picture after a few adjustments.
post #5619 of 5624 Old Today, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dy1316 View Post
Sharp LC-70UQ17U or Sony XBR-65X850B? Would primarily be used as a monitor for general PC usage, PC gaming and console gaming. Just looking for recommendations to help me decide. 5 more inch of screen or go with 4k (which is just a novelty at the moment, but a 4k TV might be more future-proof). Response time, heat omission are the only other things for me to consider. I've read some reviews and impressions for both, but I'm torn. If anyone will weigh in, I'd appreciate it.
FWIW ,

C net (TV Reviews for dummies )

Quote:
The Good The Sharp LC-UQ17U offers decent picture quality with relatively deep blacks and excellent shadow detail; having a native 4K input might be useful in the future.

The Bad Too expensive given it's not a true 4K TV; the Revelation upscaling engine adds artifacts in dark scenes and can actually obscure fine 1080p detail; discernible pixel structure prevents sitting close enough to perceive 4K-like detail; THX mode could be more accurate; occasional solarizing color artifacts.
The Bottom Line While the Sharp LC-UQ17U offers decent picture quality its pseudo-4K features simply aren't worth paying extra for.

http://www.cnet.com/products/sharp-lc-70uq17u/
LCD TVbuying guide
Sony XBR65X850B (another TV Reviews for dummies site )

Quote:
Picture Quality Rating: 92/100
Triluminous Display
This wide-gamut color technology has been fantastic for Sony for a couple years. It produces much more realism and true-to-life color renditions than most of Sony's competitors, and in general takes less calibration effort to obtain a watchable picture solution.

Up-Conversion of HD to 4K
Another strength of Sony and the XBR65X850B is the up-conversion of non-4K content. Sony has always had exceptional processing in this area and the X850B does a very nice job displaying HD and 480p content. While the up-scaled images will vary a good bit by content source, Sony's X-Reality Pro processing engine
is second to none in this department. That's important considering most of the content you will view on this TV will not be 4K. My impression after watching a few programs is that even with the upscaling, the X850B delivers a crisper more detailed picture, with few if any artificial artifacts (Internet streaming excepted).
http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/...r-65x850b.html
FWIW folks seem to like the XBR65X850B around here

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; Today at 10:22 AM.
post #5620 of 5624 Old Today, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks tubetwister, leaning toward the Sony now.
post #5621 of 5624 Old Today, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dy1316 View Post
Thanks tubetwister, leaning toward the Sony now.

I'm watching a Sony 2013 Sony LED right now real good picture plays nice in the dark also . I shopped around a lot and read reviews before I bought , it came down to this one or a Samsung that was real decent also either one would have probably been fine .
In fact this one has a real decent Samsung panel in it. decent as well .

I think the W65x850B uses an LGD ( LG) passive 3D panel and no FALD so it might not have the best black levels for night/dark room viewing a little ambient or rear bias lighting can help that at night . on the plus side it has a Triluminous display

Last edited by tubetwister; Today at 11:04 AM.
post #5622 of 5624 Old Today, 11:07 AM

Budget: < $2000.

Seating Distance: 12 - 14ft

Size / Placement Limitation: 55-60" Will be mounted on a entertainment stand that has a max size limitation of 60". There is some off axis seating; I understand LDCs don't perform particularly well off axis but the room is quite bright so didn't think a plasma would be a good fit.

Uses / Sources: 75% TV/Movies with ~1/2 of that being sports. 25% Gaming - XB1 or PC Steaming.

Lighting: Bright room with large windows directly opposite the screen.

Thanks in advance
post #5623 of 5624 Old Today, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I went to BB for a longer look at the Sony 55W700b and at first I thought it looked great but there's a section of their own demo video that has some PQ issues. There's an almost moire effect in a night shot of the coliseum that can't be intentional. Now I'm in a quandry; Do I get this anyway knowing that no set is perfect (regardless of price) or do I keep looking?

My question for you is, how far up the price ladder do I need to go in order to notice a meaningful improvement in PQ? My budget was $1,000 - will $1,200 make a difference? $1,500?

From a practical perspective I want 3 things:
1 - A golf/baseball to look good in flight.
2 - Shadowy scenes to have some detail (opening of The Usual Suspects)
3 - News/sports/weather crawls should be easy to read.

Bright room - 55" screen max - 10' seating

Don't care about 3D, smart functions, gaming or sound.
post #5624 of 5624 Old Today, 01:38 PM

Liked: 0
1. Budget - $1,000 - $1,800
2. Seating distance - 10ft-12ft
3. Size/placement limitations - none
4. Uses and sources - HD Cable TV, Playstation 4, HTPC, XBMC,
5. Room lighting - Mostly dark viewing with curtains closed.

Looking for a slim tv with a slim bezel

Last edited by James Young; Today at 01:42 PM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page