the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 6020 Old 07-19-2010, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a small 19" or 22" TV, which will be used with an antenna in a challenging location for TV reception. I want good picture and sound quality. I want the best possible reception of weak signals--as good as a converter box. Which TVs have the best, latest-generation tuners?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 6020 Old 07-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Avatar 28,what ever you do,DON'T mount your new tv over a fireplace if you plan to use that fireplace. Heat problems you know. G.
post #543 of 6020 Old 07-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

I am considering 3 sets for my bedroom.

Samsung 40C630
LG 42LD520
LG 42LD550

I know these are all semi/matte screens and I honestly would prefer the best possible picture.. but the next step up is past my price range. I honestly have no problem waiting another year or whenever the next batch of new models comes out..

I will be using it for everything from standard def tv, bluray, gaming, and playing mkv/x264 off a HD media player box.

I honestly have not been able to compare them properly because every store I go to has some dumb demos playing which does not even show off what the sets are capable of, although I remember the HD Alice in Wonderland feed on the C630 looked quite nice
post #544 of 6020 Old 07-19-2010, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar28 View Post

Okay, here goes.

Budget: Not a major consideration. Probably $2000 give or take.

Mounting: He is wanting to mount it to the wall over the mantle of his (so far unused) fireplace.

I would also add that I am not adverse to a plasma set if it would better suit his requirements, although it might be a bit of a hard sell to convince him.

It's OK to mount it over the fireplace if the fireplace never gets used. The first time it gets used, though...the TV may suffer smoke or heat damage, not matter how well protected/ventilated you might think.

Quote:

Other known factors:
  • He wants a 50"+ screen (I have a 52" DLP set and he wants something at least around that size).
  • He wants an LED set. He doesn't really know what it means, just that it is better so he wants that.
  • If we are going with an LED set, I think it would be far better to go with an LED array backlight if possible, not just LED edge lighting.
  • Since he is looking at spending so much on a TV, I believe he would be better off getting one that is at least 3D ready so that he will have that upgrade path down the road should he choose it. I've also noticed that a lot of stores seem to be giving away 3D kits with the 3D compatible sets right now.

Importance of criteria
  1. Size
  2. LED backlighting (array over edge lighting)
  3. wide viewing angle
  4. picture quality
  5. budget
  6. 3D ready

I would say that since you think a 3D set might be good technology to invest in now, I would suggest one of the Samsung 50" plasmas, retailing for around $2K. On the other hand, spend $500-$700 more, and you can get a Sammy LED LCD in 55".

If 3D is not so important, then there are a myriad of choices. Many for well under $2K for ~50". I hesitate to suggest, as I feel there are too many choices that have such strong personal taste variables (like bezel, thickness, etc).

Sorry, not much help there,

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #545 of 6020 Old 07-19-2010, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by digmor crusher View Post

I would think the difference in PQ quality between the two would not be that much so a bigger screen would make a far more noticeable difference.

Thanks for the reply. The few reviews I've seen of the C750 seem to rate the PQ very highly. Then again I haven't read much bad about the C650 either.

thanks again...
post #546 of 6020 Old 07-19-2010, 09:21 PM

Budget: Under 1800
Size: 50 to 55 inches

Features:
-Samsung LED TV
-MATTE SCREEN, I cannot find any Samsung LED Matte TV...do they even exist? I hate glossy.

Basically that is it. Thanks.
post #547 of 6020 Old 07-19-2010, 09:51 PM

I'm shopping now but need something under 2000
post #548 of 6020 Old 07-19-2010, 09:53 PM

Sorry, Looking for LCD under $2000.00

I'm not super picky on size or brand...I guess I just want the biggest/best I can get, I'll sacrifice some size for better quality...

Thanks
post #549 of 6020 Old 07-20-2010, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hey AVS Gurus,

I have a situation that is killing me!! I have one week left and I am trying to figure out if I should keep my Sammy UN46B8000XF or switch it out for

LG47LE8500

or

Samsung UN46C6900.

If you had a choice, what would you do? Is the Samsung a keep or is the banding flaws of the LG not enough to take it out of contention. Thanks for your input and please I need a response soon!
post #550 of 6020 Old 07-20-2010, 07:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Still looking for recs.
Slashdot commentary on glossy screens: Does Anyone Really Prefer Glossy Screens?

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

I'm looking for a 55" matte screen LED/LCD HDTV to replace my aging 52" Mits DLP.

1. Budget
Non-limiting if needed, but <$4K
2. Seating distance
Variable in open living room from 6ft to very far away
3. Size/placement limitations
55" is about max. Currently a 52" Mits DLP (WD52628) in place.
Depth not important (DLP is deep and okay now)
Placed on a shelf/cabinet, not wall mounted.
4. Uses and sources
Very bright, poor light control, so mainly casual TV watching or kids movies.
I have a dedicated "bat cave" in the basement with JVC RS20, Lumagen Radiance, etc. and other TVs throughout the house (see my signature link if interested).
This would be for day and night time TV watching mainly.
Sources: Time Warner HD Cable, DVD (Oppo 980), BR (Samsung 2550), Netflix on line (via 2550)
5. Room lighting
Living room with a wall of windows.
During the day even with blinds, very bright.
Living room TV/TV cabinet pic: link

Other:
- I like the concept of ISF day/night settings
- I like the TV Netflix concept - I would then get rid of my DVD (Oppo 980) and BR players (Sam 2550) and get an Oppo BDP80 or 83 to consolidate
- Ethernet access is available for the TV

I was originally looking at the LG lineup, but recently realized that the 8500 has a glossy screen.

Thanks.

Mike

EDIT:
TV died last night, so time table has been sped up...
post #551 of 6020 Old 07-20-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

It's OK to mount it over the fireplace if the fireplace never gets used. The first time it gets used, though...the TV may suffer smoke or heat damage, not matter how well protected/ventilated you might think.

I don't think he plans to use it but I will make sure that he is clear on that before we go.

Quote:

I would say that since you think a 3D set might be good technology to invest in now, I would suggest one of the Samsung 50" plasmas, retailing for around $2K. On the other hand, spend $500-$700 more, and you can get a Sammy LED LCD in 55".

If 3D is not so important, then there are a myriad of choices. Many for well under $2K for ~50". I hesitate to suggest, as I feel there are too many choices that have such strong personal taste variables (like bezel, thickness, etc).

It's not necessarily that I think it is a GOOD idea to invest in 3D right now. But I think it is likely to be something that he will want at some point in the future and he isn't likely to buy a new TV anytime soon. At the moment he still has a 32" Sony Trinitron SD CRT.

If not a specific model, are there any general brand/lines you would suggest in an LCD? Also is there an easy way to differentiate edge vs array LED lighting?
post #552 of 6020 Old 07-20-2010, 04:01 PM

Liked: 13
Okay,
A friend has a UN55B8500 he is looking to sell to his brother, he is looking to get the UN55C8000, he is offering it to me first, he is selling it at half the price he paid last year. Is this set still worth buying?
post #553 of 6020 Old 07-21-2010, 09:31 AM

Looking to buy a lcd. Need some help. Here are my choices. Samsung 46 led lcd un46c6400 or a sony kdl55hx701 or vizio vf552vt. Which should I buy?
post #554 of 6020 Old 07-21-2010, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not necessarily that I think it is a GOOD idea to invest in 3D right now. But I think it is likely to be something that he will want at some point in the future and he isn't likely to buy a new TV anytime soon. At the moment he still has a 32" Sony Trinitron SD CRT.

Fair enough. I am considering the same thing: do I pick up a non-3D TV relatively cheap, or splurge for the 3D capability which may be vastly improved upon in the next two years, making today's bleeding-edge 3D sets low-tech chumps?
Quote:

If not a specific model, are there any general brand/lines you would suggest in an LCD? Also is there an easy way to differentiate edge vs array LED lighting?

Concerning the bolded sentence: Do you mean can the viewer easily tell the difference? Based on what I have read and seen in-store, a well-done set will look good regardless of whether edge-lit or array-lit if using local dimming, and if poorly done it will look like crap no matter the technology.

Take a look at these summaries I found after a quick search:

http://reviews.cnet.com/2795-6482_7-399.html

http://www.presentationtek.com/2010/...cd-comparison/

In both, the latest Samsung edge-lit local-dim LED seems to be pretty good, but the best performance comes from a Sony array-lit local-dim LED.

If you mean "how can you tell if edge or array-lit by looking at the box" - I dunno, I would hope it would be mentioned on the box, but probably isn't. And the TV itself won't be marked to say one or the other (unless there is a promo sticker on the bezel). But the vendor and Cnet-like websites will have that info. So you'll have to do some research.

In general, I like Samsungs and Sonys, but Sonys are usually more money, so I ended up buying a 52" Samsung a few years ago. The latest crop of LG and Sharp TVs are nice, but many would say they still don't compare - but I honestly don't have a firm opinion (I need to educate myself on the latest tech...again!).

So...if you stick with the brands I mentioned you'll very likely get a great set at a good price. Other brands might offer better prices, and might simply lack features you don't care for.

As an example: Vizio. I'm not sure about this brand. Out of the box they seem to have really good quality, but I have no sense of long-term quality with current products. In the past they have been known (perhaps too harshly) as a disposable brand - TVs that simply didn't last as long as other brands. I think that has improved, but I don't have any hard data to back that up. So YMMV greatly on that.

Hope this long-winded and vague post has helped in some fashion or another.

shinksma

post #555 of 6020 Old 07-21-2010, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salkings2002 View Post

Looking to buy a lcd. Need some help. Here are my choices. Samsung 46 led lcd un46c6400 or a sony kdl55hx701 or vizio vf552vt. Which should I buy?

Size matters, so I would eliminate the 46" model right away.

I assume you meant the Vizio VF552XVT (not the "X")? Seems to be a common typo...

I would probably go for the Vizio 55": it is an LED LCD, whereas the Sony is CCFL LCD. The Vizio is probably a bit more, but the backlighting technology should be better.

However, YMMV, so go check them out in the store(s).

IMHO of course,

shinksma

post #556 of 6020 Old 07-21-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:

As an example: Vizio. I'm not sure about this brand. Out of the box they seem to have really good quality, but I have no sense of long-term quality with current products. In the past they have been known (perhaps too harshly) as a disposable brand - TVs that simply didn't last as long as other brands. I think that has improved, but I don't have any hard data to back that up. So YMMV greatly on that.

Thanks. My mother, of course, wants him to go to Wal-Mart and buy a Vizio there because they are cheaper. The more I have thought about it, the more I think he needs to get the Sammy PN50C7000. The picture quality should be slightly better than most LCDs and it eliminates the viewing angle issues. It's also 3D and one of our local chain stores has it for $1700 and is offering the 3D starter kit and Samsung 3D BD player for free with it.
post #557 of 6020 Old 07-21-2010, 01:40 PM

KDL-52EX701

or

UN55C6400

sony being $300 less
need your expertise!
post #558 of 6020 Old 07-21-2010, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. My mother, of course, wants him to go to Wal-Mart and buy a Vizio there because they are cheaper. The more I have thought about it, the more I think he needs to get the Sammy PN50C7000. The picture quality should be slightly better than most LCDs and it eliminates the viewing angle issues. It's also 3D and one of our local chain stores has it for $1700 and is offering the 3D starter kit and Samsung 3D BD player for free with it.

That sounds like a pretty good deal. Good luck, let us know how it worked out.

shinksma

post #559 of 6020 Old 07-21-2010, 05:44 PM

Please help me if you can. My criteria:

-Currently available new.

-Price $5,000 or less with shipping & sales tax.

-60" or larger.

-Non-Glare. Not shiny.

-Dark scenes rendered accurately without clouds of weird digitized garbage.

-Motion not choppy.

Is this asking too much? I don't care about 3D or if it is CCFL or LED.

Thank you if you have any suggestions. Please no future models coming soon, or models discontinued that I will never find.
post #560 of 6020 Old 07-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

LG 42LE5400

VS

Samsung 40C650
Samsung 40C6300

I saw both of these at Best Buy today and was impressed by both. The Samsung had fantastic contrast and blacks and has the glossy screen, while the LG is a bit larger, and seemed to have a much more natural, vibrant and cool picture which I think I enjoyed more for the HD content they were playing.

I will be using this for gaming heavily, as well as some standard def viewing, hd tv, blurays.. so all factors are important, including game lag.
post #561 of 6020 Old 07-21-2010, 06:28 PM

Between this Tv's what would you choose. I'm trying to get a good bang for my buck and stay below $1,300 for a 52' or plus incher. I read on this forums that the sharps are prone to banding but in general get a good picture. Have anyone had experience with this Toshiba? It looks good on paper. If you guys have a better option let me know, sold my 2year old 47' Philips and now dont have any Tv.

Sharp LC-52E77U for $1,095
http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/...7u-review.html

Sharp LC52D85U for $1,095
http://toplcdhdtv.com/sharp-hdtv/sharp-lc52d85u-review/

Toshiba 55G300U for $1,199

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-55G300.../dp/B0038JECJU

Seize the Day..!
post #562 of 6020 Old 07-22-2010, 09:42 AM

23 months into my 24 month warranty and my beloved Sammy has bit the dust. Since my warranty covers only how much it would cost to repair ($1600) I'm looking for something in that range that meets all the criteria my original did (and some updates)-

- 52" (or more)
- matt screen
- 120Hz (or more)
- 3+ HDMI

I don't care about 3D. I do play a lot of video games so lag is a consideration.

I'd really like to stay with Samsung, I've been impressed with them as a company for some time, but I'd be willing to move on if the deal was right.

Any/all thoughts are greatly appreciated
post #563 of 6020 Old 07-23-2010, 09:41 AM

Hello guys...
My girlfriend is moving to a new place and wants to get rid of the old TV and wants a new one, kind of cheap which will be used for movies connected with HTPC...

budget <500 euros
size: 32" (not that much space on the new appartment...)
use: HD movies using HDMI and HTPC and standard TV watching

So, I have 3 in my mind...
1. http://www.lg.com/uk/tv-audio-video/...tv-32LD420.jsp 446 euros
2. http://www.twenga.co.uk/prices-TX-L3...CD-TV-535283-0 416 euros
3. http://support.sony-europe.com/techs...&m=KDL-32BX400453 euros

Any suggestions about these 3?
post #564 of 6020 Old 07-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

LG 42LE5400 LED

vs

Samsung 40C650

I saw both of these and enjoyed both, the LG has a good vibrance while the Samsung appears to have very smooth picture.
post #565 of 6020 Old 07-23-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneyman View Post

LG 42LE5400 LED

vs

Samsung 40C650

I saw both of these and enjoyed both, the LG has a good vibrance while the Samsung appears to have very smooth picture.

If you do go with the samsung, check the panel model on the back of the TV that you actually saw in the store, and make sure you leave with a model containing the exact same panel.

Samsung is now playing the panel lottery full time and I got hit HARD with a horrible Chinese CN02 panel in my sammy.
post #566 of 6020 Old 07-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

^ wtf man? really? I was actually planning to order through amazon since I have credit with them.. are they shipping good panels?
post #567 of 6020 Old 07-23-2010, 04:19 PM

Budget- Around $800.
Seating Distance- No more than 10ft.
Size- No size limitations, but looking for the 46-47inch range.
Uses and Sources- PS3 and Blu-Ray, and watching sports and other TV programs from DirecTV's HD DVR. (All via HDMI)
Lighting- Mixed- the room can be light and dark.

I am considering 3 choices:

Sony 46" EX400- $810 from Best Buy

Samsung 46" LN46C530F1F- $805 from Best Buy

Vizio 47" E470VL- $798 from Wal-Mart

I am leaning towards the Vizio because of the 120HZ refresh rate, but just wanted to know your guys' opinion.
Thanks!
post #568 of 6020 Old 07-23-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:

That sounds like a pretty good deal. Good luck, let us know how it worked out.

shinksma

I managed to convince him to get the Sammy plasma set. Actually, he ended up getting three TVs. The Sammy plasma, a Samsung series 4 32" LCD for my nephews and a 42" Panasonic plasma for our father. Total price was a bit shy of $2800 including sales tax. He got the BD player, 3D starter kit, a wall mount and a $50 HDMI cable all thrown in. All in all a pretty good deal. Thanks for the help everyone!
post #569 of 6020 Old 07-24-2010, 06:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
About to head off TV shopping.
Again, a request. Recs for best bets for 55" matte screen HDTV?

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

Still looking for recs.
Slashdot commentary on glossy screens: Does Anyone Really Prefer Glossy Screens?

Quote:

I'm looking for a 55" matte screen LED/LCD HDTV to replace my aging 52" Mits DLP.

1. Budget
Non-limiting if needed, but <$4K

2. Seating distance
Variable in open living room from 6ft to very far away

3. Size/placement limitations
55" is about max. Currently a 52" Mits DLP (WD52628) in place.
Depth not important (DLP is deep and okay now)
Placed on a shelf/cabinet, not wall mounted.

4. Uses and sources
Very bright, poor light control, so mainly casual TV watching or kids movies.
I have a dedicated "bat cave" in the basement with JVC RS20, Lumagen Radiance, etc. and other TVs throughout the house (see my signature link if interested).
This would be for day and night time TV watching mainly.
Sources: Time Warner HD Cable, DVD (Oppo 980), BR (Samsung 2550), Netflix on line (via 2550)

5. Room lighting
Living room with a wall of windows.
During the day even with blinds, very bright.
Living room TV/TV cabinet pic: link

Other:
- I like the concept of ISF day/night settings
- I like the TV Netflix concept - I would then get rid of my DVD (Oppo 980) and BR players (Sam 2550) and get an Oppo BDP80 or 83 to consolidate
- Ethernet access is available for the TV

I was originally looking at the LG lineup, but recently realized that the 8500 has a glossy screen.

Thanks.

Mike

post #570 of 6020 Old 07-24-2010, 07:46 AM

32" full hd Glossy screen

Budget- Around £350.
Size- 32"
Uses and Sources- mainly xbox 360, PS3 and Blu-Ray
Lighting- not many windows, no direct contact with the sunlight
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread - Un55b8000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page