AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbros View Post
nvm i follow you so that being said is the only difference between the 630b and 60w850b 3d capability? in that case its a no brainer the 630b is less than 1000 at best buy right now... Do you definitely feel comfortable with my choice in Sony? i just wanna make sure the set will still be working in a few years... do you think the warrenties at best buy are worth it?? any way in being able to tell if this set will go on sale for black friday? I've never paid attention to big black friday deals and i wanna save as much money as possible
Arguably the W800B and W850B likely will have better panels and a better picture in addition to 3D that's certainly the case with the W600B vs the W800B/W850B OTOH the W630B might be 'good enough 'for a lot of folks at the price .

I'm on my 4th Sony since 1994 one lasted 14 yrs and worked fine when I gave it away ,another 12 + years
until a severe power surge broke it (and a few other things around here ) my newest one is a 2013 model .
I would buy the brand again . OTOH I don't expect the LED will last 14 yrs like the old school CRT Sony's but one never knows .

I have a 2013 SonyTV ,PS4,PS2,PS1,Sony 7.1 Sony ES AVR,ES SACD/DVD player ,another DVD changer. Also Samsung Plasma,LG LED TV,Toshiba LCD and 2 other brand sets .

IMO I think Best buy warranties cost way to much after market warranties avail on web such as Square Trade are much less expensive than B.B. ,SQT. has good reputation .
Visa ,Masercard and Amex and Discover card often extend warranties of TV purchase with their cards TV,s for 1 yr free
after mfr. warr. expires (see each website) .
I never purchased an Aftermarket warranty personalty and never had a failure within the 4 yrs of say a SQT. warranty YMMV. OTOH IMO the SQT. Warranty cost is not unreasonable for the protection they offer .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-25-2014 at 03:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5672 of 5695 Old 08-25-2014, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After doing some research I have read that the Sony 700b takes an annoyingly long time to power on which is one of the reasons I went with panasonic last year(it powers up very quickly). I have also read that as long as input lag is under 50ms you are good, my current TV tested at 48.3 and I have never felt like it has given me a problem. I can get the Sony for $100 less, it has an extra HDMI port and its such a nice looking TV.... But as of right now I think I am going to go with the panny TC-55AS680U due to the faster refresh rate, familiar interface and quick power on.
post #5673 of 5695 Old 08-25-2014, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help me choose an LCD:

• Budget $2k
  • Screen size: 70 inch
  • TV type: flat screen only ... no curved screens (will be wall-mounted)
  • 3D ok but not mandatory
  • Smart TV ok but not mandatory
  • Need at least 3 HDMI connections.

Most important factors:

• Non-glare screen -- The TV will be in a living room that has many windows. My current plasma TV is great, but watching dark programming during the day is unpleasant due to so much reflection. This is the main reason I am buying a new TV.
  • "Centered" wall mount holes -- I read that the mounting holes for some TVs are not centered on the back of the TV. I already have a wall mount in the living room and limited space due to a fireplace mantle, so I need to be able to remove the 58-inch plasma and attach the new LCD in the same spot.
  • Video quality preferences in order of importance:
    • Black levels
    • Contrast
    • Excellent for gaming

Based on the criteria above, is there a clear winner for me?

Last edited by Birddoggin; 08-25-2014 at 01:42 PM. Reason: formatting
post #5674 of 5695 Old 08-25-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jat240 View Post
After doing some research I have read that the Sony 700b takes an annoyingly long time to power on which is one of the reasons I went with panasonic last year(it powers up very quickly). I have also read that as long as input lag is under 50ms you are good, my current TV tested at 48.3 and I have never felt like it has given me a problem. I can get the Sony for $100 less, it has an extra HDMI port and its such a nice looking TV.... But as of right now I think I am going to go with the panny TC-55AS680U due to the faster refresh rate, familiar interface and quick power on.

That's weird first I've heard of the W700B being slow to power on although I haven't heard much about it anyway
so not impossible , might be a good question to put out unless you are satisfied with present info . My 2013 Sony is on from cold boot in 5 sec. Don't know much about the Panny LCD although some that I saw at B.B. in 2013 looked pretty darn good and IMO as good as anything on the wall including Sony I bought .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #5675 of 5695 Old 08-25-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Arguably the W800B and W850B likely will have better panels and a better picture in addition to 3D that's certainly the case with the W600B vs the W800B/W850B OTOH the W630B might be 'good enough 'for a lot of folks at the price .

I'm on my 4th Sony since 1994 one lasted 14 yrs and worked fine when I gave it away ,another 12 + years
until a severe power surge broke it (and a few other things around here ) my newest one is a 2013 model .
I would buy the brand again . OTOH I don't expect the LED will last 14 yrs like the old school CRT Sony's but one never knows .

I have a 2013 SonyTV ,PS4,PS2,PS1,Sony 7.1 Sony ES AVR,ES SACD/DVD player ,another DVD changer. Also Samsung Plasma,LG LED TV,Toshiba LCD and 2 other brand sets .

IMO I think Best buy warranties cost way to much after market warranties avail on web such as Square Trade are much less expensive than B.B. ,SQT. has good reputation .
Visa ,Masercard and Amex and Discover card often extend warranties of TV purchase with their cards TV,s for 1 yr free
after mfr. warr. expires (see each website) .
I never purchased an Aftermarket warranty personalty and never had a failure within the 4 yrs of say a SQT. warranty YMMV. OTOH IMO the SQT. Warranty cost is not unreasonable for the protection they offer .
other than the refresh rate discrepancy with the w630b (which really bugs me because sony and best buy both claim motion flow 480 while a lot of other review online are saying motion flow 240), what gives the w850b a better panel? Also i plan on waiting for Black Friday to make a purchase... Is this wise? When will black friday ads start coming out lol
post #5676 of 5695 Old 08-25-2014, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My Budget is 4000.00 and I want at least a 65".

So...... What should I buy???
post #5677 of 5695 Old 08-25-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbros View Post
other than the refresh rate discrepancy with the w630b (which really bugs me because sony and best buy both claim motion flow 480 while a lot of other review online are saying motion flow 240), what gives the w850b a better panel? Also i plan on waiting for Black Friday to make a purchase... Is this wise? When will black friday ads start coming out lol
funy question money what else you get what you pay for it's simple. so you don't think Sony knows what motion flow is in their set ? ................ this getting beyond ridiculous

later

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-25-2014 at 06:44 PM.
post #5678 of 5695 Old 08-25-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

the "help me choose an LCD" thread

1. Budget -

$5500 -total - need 3 TVs

2. Seating distance

10-12ft

3. Size/placement limitations

Need one 70" and placing two 60" on each side. Seating mainly straight ahead, some to the side, not much

4. Uses and

Mainly sports (football) then normal TV. Little movie watching

Smart TV on main is ok- 3D not needed. Would like 240hz for sports?

All must look the same/brand to match WAF

5. Room lighting

Left side of room open to connecting room, two windows in back of room. Wall colors tan and there will be blinds, but not always closed -

Was looking at some LGs 70LB7100 - but have been out of market for a long time

Help!

post #5679 of 5695 Old 08-25-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
funy question money what else you get what you pay for it's simple. so you don't think Sony knows what motion flow is in their set ? ................ this getting beyond ridiculous

later
sorry i have no idea when it comes to this stuff clearly just trying to get your expert opinion its really hard trying to figure this stuff out on my own sorry to bother you
post #5680 of 5695 Old 08-25-2014, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi, I'm looking to buy a TV for under 500$. I don't care if it's a few years old, I'm more for price versus size at this point. I want a 42-49" TV. I want something with a high refresh rate, something that MOST DEFINITELY HAS MOTION INTERPOLATION. I'm having difficulty finding TVs that have it online, especially since I cannot see them with my own eyes. All the TVs I look at seem to not have it and that's the most important part for me.

I plan to use it for gaming and watching anime(That's why I want the Smooth Motion feature) So, can anyone suggest me one? I plan to buy within the next month or so, but the only one I can find that DOES have it for sure is: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-42...20tv&cp=1&lp=1

preference to no Plasma.

Does anyone have any ideas ?
post #5681 of 5695 Old 08-25-2014, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
motion processing?

I ended up returning the Sony 55x850b due to motion processing issues resulting in freeze/stutter in the right half of the screen. This was especially evident during compressed content such as cable and streaming(netflix, amazon). This was evident on all levels of MotionFlow but 'off' and that setting was difficult to watch due to blur. After doing some reading this seems to be a common issue for many TVs as the motion processing engines lose track of objects due to the compression. Does this sound right or is it some other factor I'm missing?

Seems like most reviews focus on either raw metrics(motion tests) or high quality content sources(bluray). I'm having difficulty applying that to what seems to be the TV's motion processing ability.

Ultimately, I'm just trying to find a set that can excel even with questionable sources(1080i cable, netflix, amazon). Any advice on finding best LED options for this?

Thanks
post #5682 of 5695 Old 08-26-2014, 12:02 AM

Hello :) Looking for a new TV

Hello My first post, used to be a new member of club polk till I got banned without any reason. They didn't even reply as to why :/. Anyways enough of that.

Looking for a new TV, preferable Samsung... oh who am I kidding I'm eye'ing the 40F6400 or 40F6800. Old TV is a Samsung LA32A450C1XZN from 2008 IIRC.
Looking for a true 100 or 120 hertz panel which is an upgrade from my 50 or 60(not sure) hertz 32 inch tv. The TVs here all come from Dubai, UAE.

1. Budget: about US$ 500-1000 not a buck over 1000. Saving would be a plus.
2. Seating Distance: 5-10 feet depending on the situation.
3. Size/placement limitations: None
4. Uses and sources: 2D 1080p Satellite Box, Sony PS4 gaming and blu-ray movies and TV shows, HTPC via GPU HDMI for general use and moderate gaming. All connect via a Yamaha RX-V767 receiver.
5. Room lighting: Well lit room, two large windows covered with blinds. Very light glare is present from one window during day time. Mostly watch content at night time with dimmed lighting.

I'm sure the new one will be one heck of an upgrade but I'm baffled by the variety of panels being used nowadays :S I went through ten pages of a thread here to find out the types of panels and what to look for in my case, but I couldn't understand anything PVA SVA TS01 whatever, just looking for something good if it's available. Sorry my english is not perfect.

Thankyou and I apologize for the wall of text.

Last edited by ThirdWorldGuy; 08-26-2014 at 12:06 AM.
post #5683 of 5695 Old 08-26-2014, 01:38 AM

Hey everyone I need your help. I have 2 TVs in my house . one is the Sony bravia KDL 40S4100 from 2008. Full 1080p. The other is 2013 LG 50LA6210 also 1080p. What I was wondering is that I'm gonna buy an x1 and the Sony has also been my gaming TV. Is the diffemrce between the two TVs while gaming huge or neglible thanks.
post #5684 of 5695 Old 08-26-2014, 07:48 AM

Hi everybody,

I am looking for a 32-39 inch television for in the bedroom.

Budget : 700€
Distance : 1,5m
Size : the tv will be hung on the wall with a wallmount and cannot be larger than 39inches.
Uses : We will be using both a satelitte and cable receiver.
Room lighting : The television is right between 2 windows but I am not so worried about reflection (as we will be mostly watching late at night)

Thanks and kind regards,

Merlijn
post #5685 of 5695 Old 08-26-2014, 07:54 AM

Hi,

I'm looking to spend ~$200-$250 (Location: USA) on a 32" TV for a kids bedroom. Likely hookups would be a Roku and Gaming Machine. I wanted 2 HDMI slots and 1080p as it appears he will sit near enough to benefit. Though I'm on the fence if he couldn't get by with only 720p. I would like to have something that looks good, so price is a guideline, but not set-in-stone. Built-in speakers, even if poor, would be preferable as it would likely be later this year at Christmas when maybe a few family members could consider getting him a soundbar.

I've looked on Amazon and had these as possible ideas.

LG Electronics 32LB5600 32-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED TV
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KVLEM7K/...7B3G85OV&psc=1

LG Electronics 32LN5300 32-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED TV (2013 Model)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BB0ZTM2/...C50XR9SM&psc=1

Samsung UN32EH5000 32-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN32EH...ung+32in+1080p

Thanks!
Ted
post #5686 of 5695 Old 08-26-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hi, what would you recommend (make/model) for the best bang for the buck for a 70" LED?

I don't need 3D.

I'd like to avoid Vizio and Sharp. I guess that leaves me with Sony and Samsung.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.
post #5687 of 5695 Old 08-26-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanpire View Post
Hi, I'm looking to buy a TV for under 500$. I don't care if it's a few years old, I'm more for price versus size at this point. I want a 42-49" TV. I want something with a high refresh rate, something that MOST DEFINITELY HAS MOTION INTERPOLATION. I'm having difficulty finding TVs that have it online, especially since I cannot see them with my own eyes. All the TVs I look at seem to not have it and that's the most important part for me.

I plan to use it for gaming and watching anime(That's why I want the Smooth Motion feature) So, can anyone suggest me one? I plan to buy within the next month or so, but the only one I can find that DOES have it for sure is: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-42...20tv&cp=1&lp=1

preference to no Plasma.

Does anyone have any ideas ?
Have you looked at this one?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-m-...i-b1&cp=1&lp=1

Just got this one for the bedroom, and it seems pretty good to me. May want to read over in the "Vizio xxxx" thread for specifics and whatnot. I didn't really research this one too heavily, as it's smaller in size and cost, and only a secondary location.
post #5688 of 5695 Old 08-26-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Looking to replace my 8 yr old Toshiba 42" LCD HDTV. Some criteria below.
  • $800 - $1,200
  • 50" to 60"
  • 3D capable
  • at least 3 HDMI inputs
Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15" w/Retina display | Apple TV | Oppo BDP-105D | Parasound New Classic 2125 | Martin Logan Theos | Toshiba 42RV530U HDTV |
post #5689 of 5695 Old 08-26-2014, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Would like to go from 40v2500 to a 55" or 60" LCD/LED television.

$900. - $1500.
55" - 60"
3D does not matter
Lite gamer/lite over air TV
Quality picture of movies/TV shows on DVD/BD & Netflix & HD files of most importance
Lots of picture settings options a plus
Network port a plus
1080p No real interest in 4K right now
Want larger 55" set at least as good a picture as my current set
Have had years of luck with Sony but will consider other brands

Any help would be nice. Hope to get a set this weekend. Thanks
post #5690 of 5695 Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM

HI,
I am new in forum sites. I want to help you and solve your problem but sorry I have no any idea about this. But I suggest you to meet with an expert who can solve your problem.
-------------------
classified website
post #5691 of 5695 Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Please suggest me a 55" LCD TV with a great picture but with no or very little accessories like 3D, wifi etc (all of it is not needed)

1. $1500
2. 12-15ft
3. Size/placement limitations: NO
4. DVD, BD, HDTV
5. Dim lit bedroom

THANK YOU!
post #5692 of 5695 Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuat View Post
Please suggest me a 55" LCD TV with a great picture but with no or very little accessories like 3D, wifi etc (all of it is not needed)

1. $1500
2. 12-15ft
4. DVD, BD, HDTV
5. Dim lit bedroom

THANK YOU!
Sony 55 W800B Has 3D and wifi if you want a great picture they are included step down and cheaper 2D Sony 55W700B might be OK equivelant 6350/6400 Samsung should be decent also . In a dimly lit room you definitely want a set with good blacks short of a Plasma the W800B definitly fits that criteria .

https://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/sony/w800b

Last edited by tubetwister; Yesterday at 03:32 PM.
post #5693 of 5695 Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuat View Post

1. $1500
2. 12-15ft
4. DVD, BD, HDTV
5. Dim lit bedroom

THANK YOU!
Since you have a dimly Lit bedroom I would look for something with a Samsung S-PVA panel.
post #5694 of 5695 Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM

Looking for the absolute best picture quality/black levels in a 1080p LCD set that has acceptable input lag for gaming. At this point it seems like all of the flagship PQ technologies are being put into 4K sets, but my primary use is at least 50% gaming, with a target of 60 FPS on a PC, which just isn't feasible at 4K with any sort of reasonable hardware yet. My goal is to get one last high quality 1080p set to last me until 4K gaming becomes a more reasonable proposition. I also realize that plasma or OLED will get me the best PQ, but I'm just not comfortable with the risk of image retention or burn in during long gaming sessions.

Budget: No upper limit, but I feel that just by constraining to 1080p I won't see anything very high.

Screen Size: No smaller than 60", larger preferred.

Placement considerations: None

Light Control: Mixed use room with drawn blinds during the day. I'm willing to sacrifice daytime PQ though (as long as it's not too horrible) if it means getting better blacks at night.

3D/Motion Smoothing: If they're included they'll stay turned off, but not really a factor either way.

Usage: 50% 1080p movies/50% gaming from both a PC and next gen consoles. Input lag is a consideration, but as long as it's reasonable for single player gaming it a secondary concern to picture quality.

Other considerations: 1:1 pixel mapping is a must. IP/HTTP based control would be nice, but not essential.

From prior research, the sets that seem to come to the top of the list are:

Sony KDL-70W850B
Samsung UN65F8000 or UN75F8000
Vizio M702i-B3

Are there any others I should be considering?
post #5695 of 5695 Old Today, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I need help picking between a

SONY KDL65x8500B 65 inch UHD

or

SAMSUNG Series 8 65 inch HU8500 UHD
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread