the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 194 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5791 of 5819 Old 09-20-2014, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just need to know the best TV's between the sizes 40" - 48"

Price is no matter, I have a relative looking for a TV in this size range due to room restrictions. I've found this tough because generally the best TV's for PQ are 50" and up.

Thanks in advance, I've struggled with this. It's a shame the room for this TV can't fit anything larger due to wall/room size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5792 of 5819 Old 09-20-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Moving from projector to LED

I am moving in a few months, so have some time. My current setup is an Epson 5010e projector onto a 92" Firewawk screen. We've had the screen since 2005, so are used to large screen.

The new home won't accommodate projector, and wife is a bit tired of the bit of extra effort to use the system anyway.

I had 'decided' I wanted a Samsung 4K, 75" non-curved set, such as the UN75HU8550.
But I've been reading the thread on that set, and it seems there are a lot experiencing issues such as light in the corners, and clouding, etc. I'm becoming disillusioned due to that (although I realize that it's easier to find the unhappy folks posting than happy. Also been hoping for the price to drop, but it actually went back up after dropping $500 for a while.

Below is a poor picture of the room it will be in, with a mockup of 75" screen:

So, with above info and below in mind, following parameters, what do you think I should consider?
  • Budget - Prefer to stay near 5K
  • Seating distance 10', but can push back to 15'.
  • Sources - Dish Hopper (or may be cable down there); ROKU; Likely no gaming; Blue Ray; Only occasionally HTPC (May do away with it)
  • Room LIghting - as seen in picture. I'm thinking that with the TV on the wall picture, there will not be a problem with direct lighting/reflection
  • Screen size - 70" minimum, prefer 75 or up to 85

I suspect I'll be wanting to do something in the late December, or into January timeframe, so I waiting can be figured into teh equation.

Thanks
Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5793 of 5819 Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey folks, I joined the forum to gather some valuable insight in regards to aid my decision for a new television. In a nutshell, I have been doing solid research on TV's for a good month now. When I think I have my mind finally made up, there is something I read or hear from a review which makes me think twice. I don't think I'm any further ahead now than I was a month ago, so I'm turning to you fine folks for some helpful advice-tv shopping has suddenly gotten aggravating.

I have my mind pretty much made up on one of the following sets...I am not a gamer (or techy) of any kind and my two kids are 4 & 2 so they don't game (yet) either. The TV will be used mainly for just that...watching TV (I live in Alberta, Canada- my TV service provider is Telus and I have their "Optik" TV service). We watch lots of movies, especially animated ones for the kids on blu-ray and DVD, other kids shows which are on tv, reality tv (the Mrs.) and I watch the real "reality tv" aka: sports. I watch a lot of hockey, football (be it CFL, NFL or NCAA) and baseball. Here are the sets I am currently interested in:

1) Panasonic Viera TC-50AS630
2) LG 47LB6300
3) Sony KDL50W790/800B
4) Sony KDL48W600B

From talking to several salesmen at different electronic stores, namely Future Shop & Visions, they all have agreed on one thing-I should go with 120 hz, which is fine (I'm aware the 600B is a 60 Hz but I have read good things about it). After that, I feel like I'm being pulled in different directions. One salesman at Visions said Sony is going downhill and they have dropped them because of their poor customer service (news to me). I asked him about the Panasonic TVs and he raved about them, indicating they may have hung onto Plasma a bit too long and because of this, they lost their share in the LED market, but they still make a great tv. I asked a salesman at FS about Panasonic, he laughed and said "You're the first customer to have mentioned that company by name to me in about a year"...even though they sell them. He then didn't have great things to say about Panasonic, but yet a 3rd salesman at a 3rd electronics place also raved about them just as the one at Visions did so I guess 2 out of 3 isn't bad. Most salesman at FS are pushing me towards the Sony's, the ones at Visions aren't really pushing one brand over the other (minus the Sony mudslinging) meanwhile all salesmen have been fairly neutral about the LG 47lb6300, but with more positive comments than negative.

One other thing that has me scratching my head is that I have read that the TV should be switched back to 60 Hz for regular and movie viewing and changed to 120 Hz for sports...do these TVs I have listed have this as an option to do so, or is it strictly displaying at 120 Hz forever?

We are on a budget and are not wanting to spend more than $900 (maybe $1000) and all these TVs are currently on sale for around that dollar figure. Based on my criteria above, any advice on why I should buy one make/model over the other?

At this moment, I am leaning slightly towards the Panasonic and LG but any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance...

**Forgot to mention, it will be mounted to the wall in our living room which is very naturally bright as it has a very large window (will not shine directly on the tv).

Last edited by Charlie Murphy; Yesterday at 12:12 AM.
post #5794 of 5819 Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Murphy View Post
Hey folks, I joined the forum to gather some valuable insight in regards to aid my decision for a new television. In a nutshell, I have been doing solid research on TV's for a good month now. When I think I have my mind finally made up, there is something I read or hear from a review which makes me think twice. I don't think I'm any further ahead now than I was a month ago, so I'm turning to you fine folks for some helpful advice-tv shopping has suddenly gotten aggravating.

I have my mind pretty much made up on one of the following sets...I am not a gamer (or techy) of any kind and my two kids are 4 & 2 so they don't game (yet) either. I watch a lot of hockey, football (be it CFL, NFL or NCAA) and baseball. Here are the sets I am currently interested in:

1) Panasonic Viera TC-50AS630
2) LG 47LB6300
3) Sony KDL50W790/800B
4) Sony KDL48W600B

**Forgot to mention, it will be mounted to the wall in our living room which is very naturally bright as it has a very large window (will not shine directly on the tv).
Long as you don't watch the LG after dark it would be OK (poor blacks/low contrast ) blacks are greyish at nite grey letter bars at nite are distracting . one of the 5 sets I have is a 2013 LG same type IPS panel. I have a 2013 Sony LED in my bedroom better overall good day nite TV good black and contrast .

The Panasonic TC-50AS630 is a lower price Panny
made by TPV an OEM mfr. for Vizio and others (TPV owns 25% of Vizio and all of philips TV ) it could be OK if priced right it was $459.00 USD at B.B. here in US last week if it looks decent in the store I would give it some consideration at that price if it costs same as Sony maybe not. Most Sonys made by Foxconn IMO a step up from TPV .

Sony 800B is the pick of the litter there hands down also the most expensive but something that might keep one happy for a longer time.

There may be another reason the other stores aren't carrying Sony maybe they don't have the money or something, nobody drops a brand name that sells itself like Sony for other than not having enough dough to inventory them ,having enough other brands to manage or something like that .
Compare sets http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd.../w800b/compare
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compare 0921.1.PNG
Views:	16
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	273257  

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; Yesterday at 09:44 AM.
post #5795 of 5819 Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Long as you don't watch the LG after dark it would be OK (poor blacks/low contrast ) blacks are greyish at nite grey letter bars at nite are distracting . one of the 5 sets I have is a 2013 LG same type IPS panel. I have a 2013 Sony LED in my bedroom better overall good day nite TV good black and contrast .

The Panasonic TC-50AS630 is a lower price Panny
made by TPV an OEM mfr. for Vizio and others (TPV owns 25% of Vizio and all of philips TV ) it could be OK if priced right it was $459.00 USD at B.B. here in US last week if it looks decent in the store I would give it some consideration at that price if it costs same as Sony maybe not. Most Sonys made by Foxconn IMO a step up from TPV .

Sony 800B is the pick of the litter there hands down also the most expensive but something that might keep one happy for a longer time.

There may be another reason the other stores aren't carrying Sony maybe they don't have the money or something, nobody drops a brand name that sells itself like Sony for other than not having enough dough to inventory them ,having enough other brands to manage or something like that .
Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated!! I went back for a second look today and the 800B is going to be out of my price range (at least up here), unless it goes on sale for a lower price in the next 7-14 days. At the end of the day, all have their pros and cons it seems. It's too bad the LG's blacks go greyish in darkened rooms as we do watch TV without lights on later on at night. I did have a look at the US Best Buy site and the one Panasonic I'm presuming is a step below the 50AS630 is currently on sale for $699.99 (50AS530); $459 was a heck of a steal last week for it last week!!

I also went back to Visions as well and I must say I really liked the image quality of the Panasonic (they had the 50AS540 on display). They had all the TVs on the Packers-Lions game so I was able to see first hand how it performed with a football game; visually I was very impressed with both, but the Panasonic stood out just a bit better to me.

The 600B is on for $599.99 (CDN)...any comments on that set in regards to how it would be used in our household? I know its a 60 Hz vs 120, but is it that big of a difference for watching sports?
post #5796 of 5819 Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Murphy View Post
Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated!! I went back for a second look today and the 800B is going to be out of my price range (at least up here), unless it goes on sale for a lower price in the next 7-14 days. At the end of the day, all have their pros and cons it seems. It's too bad the LG's blacks go greyish in darkened rooms as we do watch TV without lights on later on at night. I did have a look at the US Best Buy site and the one Panasonic I'm presuming is a step below the 50AS630 is currently on sale for $699.99 (50AS530); $459 was a heck of a steal last week for it last week!!

I also went back to Visions as well and I must say I really liked the image quality of the Panasonic (they had the 50AS540 on display). They had all the TVs on the Packers-Lions game so I was able to see first hand how it performed with a football game; visually I was very impressed with both, but the Panasonic stood out just a bit better to me.

The 600B is on for $599.99 (CDN)...any comments on that set in regards to how it would be used in our household? I know its a 60 Hz vs 120, but is it that big of a difference for watching sports?

I can't say how those specific Panasonic or Sony 600B compare. I haven't seen that exact Panasonic although the ones I have seen looked pretty good at the store . F/S wants $899.00 for the Panasonic TC50AS630 thats getting close to the arguably superior Sony W800B and $749.00 for the Panasonic (TC50A410) and $599.00 for the 60Hz Sony 48W600B .
it's not likley the 60Hz Panasonic is $200.00 better or if at all than the Sony .

If the Panasonic 50 AS540 uses an IPS panel like the
Panasonic 430 models that might be problem in dark rooms .

The Sony W600B and W800B/W850B/ W630B are VA panels . The Sony W48600B gets real decent reviws. LG are also IPS panels Samsung and most Sonys are VA panels.

Probably the 4 best 48-50" sets around are the Sony 48W600B ,Sony W800B.
Samsung 50H6350 and US Best Buy only Sony 50W700B

Sony should be fine at your place if the Panny uses a VA panel it should be decent also .

One tip off in the store is view angles on IPS panels like LG or any IPS panel are much wider than VA panel sets.

A jewelers loupe will show the RGB pixel structure
VA panels are straight rectangles and IPS are chevron shape pixels.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; Yesterday at 04:21 PM.
post #5797 of 5819 Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suppaman View Post
Just need to know the best TV's between the sizes 40" - 48"

Price is no matter, I have a relative looking for a TV in this size range due to room restrictions. I've found this tough because generally the best TV's for PQ are 50" and up.

Thanks in advance, I've struggled with this. It's a shame the room for this TV can't fit anything larger due to wall/room size.
UHD 4K 2160P

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR49X850.../dp/B00JQAFSBQ

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics...1349362&sr=1-1

----------------------------------------------------------------------
HDTV 1080p

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...1001&cp=1&lp=5

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...1001&cp=1&lp=4

Last edited by tubetwister; Yesterday at 06:31 PM.
post #5798 of 5819 Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM

Thanks, I had a feeling judging by their room restrictions that hampers size, that it was likely going to be Samsung. This basically verified it. I don't think they'd dare go above 46" since the wall itself is basically 50".

Appreciate it.
post #5799 of 5819 Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I can't say how those specific Panasonic or Sony 600B compare. I haven't seen that exact Panasonic although the ones I have seen looked pretty good at the store . F/S wants $899.00 for the Panasonic TC50AS630 thats getting close to the arguably superior Sony W800B and $749.00 for the Panasonic (TC50A410) and $599.00 for the 60Hz Sony 48W600B .
it's not likley the 60Hz Panasonic is $200.00 better or if at all than the Sony .

If the Panasonic 50 AS540 uses an IPS panel like the
Panasonic 430 models that might be problem in dark rooms .

The Sony W600B and W800B/W850B/ W630B are VA panels . The Sony W48600B gets real decent reviws. LG are also IPS panels Samsung and most Sonys are VA panels.

Sony should be fine at your place if the Panny uses a VA panel it should be decent also .

One tip off in the store is view angles on IPS panels like LG or any IPS panel are much wider than VA panel sets.

A jewelers loupe will show the RGB pixel structure
VA panels are straight rectangles and IPS are chevron shape pixels.
According to the spec sheet on the FS site, the 630's are equipped with the VA panels. The IPS panels on the Panasonics are found on the next TV up (660 series) so grey looking blacks shouldn't be an issue. There's a similar Canadian version of 50w700B, I believe it is the KDL50W790B so I will keep my eyes open for sales prices on that one too. I've almost pulled the trigger on the 48W600B, but it's the 60 Hz thing that has me hung up and reluctant to do so. For my household, $600 is a lot of cake so I'd hate to spend it on that TV and not be happy with the screen imagery during games or high action sequences in movies. I could always ask if they'd come down another hundred beans on the 800B, but in my experience when electronics are already on sale, they rarely come down even more.

Right now, I'm really leaning toward the AS630 but I'll definitely keep my options open in regards to the 790/800 Sony's. As we're going to be in the last quarter of 2014 in 10 days, I'm assuming electronics dealers will start lowering prices with the holidays coming up and to start clearing room for the 2015 models. I don't "have" to buy a TV right this second as our little 32" Toshiba Regza is still doing the job after 8 years, but I would like to have it by October 9 (start of the NHL season-lol).

Thanks again so much for your time and thoughts!!
post #5800 of 5819 Old Today, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Can someone give some recommendations on a 60"? I'm looking to spend no more than $1200. It needs to be decent for gaming too. thanks
post #5801 of 5819 Old Today, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david118383 View Post
Can someone give some recommendations on a 60"? I'm looking to spend no more than $1200. It needs to be decent for gaming too. thanks
You're likely looking at the Vizio E series or M series. The E should run around $800ish and the M around $1100ish give or take sales/specials on them. I don't really think in that price range there's anything else at that size that will beat them. You'd likely have to drop down to a 55" to possibly beat there PQ in that price range.

I have the E, it's fine for gaming and tests online have shown it to have one of the lowest lag inputs (LCD wise this year) for gaming save for mostly some Sony's.
post #5802 of 5819 Old Today, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm looking around for a 70" 4k TV though I won't be making the purchase till probably Jan of next year. Is the Vizio P-series the only one that gonna be priced at $2,500?? Family is hoping to get a Samsung or Sony but we don't wanna spent more then $3000 max. Do you think either Samsung or Sony will come out with something in the same price range as the Vizio P-series?
post #5803 of 5819 Old Today, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Who knows what the holiday season might bring. Black Friday/Cyber Monday might bring some interesting pricing. Right now, however, if you are wanting to keep it to $3K, you are looking at 65" sets other than the Vizio.

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
post #5804 of 5819 Old Today, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suppaman View Post
You're likely looking at the Vizio E series or M series. The E should run around $800ish and the M around $1100ish give or take sales/specials on them. I don't really think in that price range there's anything else at that size that will beat them. You'd likely have to drop down to a 55" to possibly beat there PQ in that price range.

I have the E, it's fine for gaming and tests online have shown it to have one of the lowest lag inputs (LCD wise this year) for gaming save for mostly some Sony's.
There's a 60'' Sony that I keep seeing for $1199. Any thoughts on it? Looked very good at the store. I've never known anyone with a Vizio that was happy with it.
post #5805 of 5819 Old Today, 11:33 AM

Looking to upgrade my 47" LG to a better HDTV with excellent picture quality and blacks.

1. Budget: $1200
2. Seating distance: 8-9 ft
3. Size/placement limitations: 55" or 60"
4. Uses and sources: Lots of Movies/TV.
5. Room lighting: Has a big window but can be curtained when watching to reduce glare.

Some models that I researched which seem to fit the profile are listed below.

1. Sony KDL60W850B - Saw it in Fry's but wasn't totally sold on as there was a lot of glare due to the TV placement and some idiotic content being played.
2. Sony KDL60W630B - Found the blacks to be really good but felt overall brightness was lower
3. Sony KDL55W700B
5. Samsung UN55H6350 - Went with the 55" as apparently the 60" is a panel lottery.
6. Vizio E600i-B3
7. Vizio M602i-B3
post #5806 of 5819 Old Today, 12:28 PM

Anyone know the difference between the Sony KDL60W610B and the KDL60W630B?
post #5807 of 5819 Old Today, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There's a 60'' Sony that I keep seeing for $1199. Any thoughts on it? Looked very good at the store. I've never known anyone with a Vizio that was happy with it.
Sony KDL-W630B should be fine for $1100.00 it has the very good Sony X-Reality PRO Picture Engine + Sony Motionflow XR 480 Technology (triple dynamic frame interpolation ) and 120Hz panel all the same as on the more expensive excellent KDL-W800/W850B There should be little difference other than no 3D on W630B . Should have decent Samsung or AUO edge lit VA panel .
http://store.sony.com/60-diag-w630b-...s-CES-2014-TVs

post #5808 of 5819 Old Today, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anyone know the difference between the Sony KDL60W610B and the KDL60W630B?
Costco /Sams club KDL W610B should be same as KDL W630B just different sales channel specs are identical.

post #5809 of 5819 Old Today, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Costco /Sams club KDL W610B should be same as KDL W630B just different sales channel specs are identical.
Thanks that was very helpful. I think I may get the W610B at Sams. They have a 90 day return policy so if anyone has a better Black Friday deal on a 60" I can always return it.
post #5810 of 5819 Old Today, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Apologies, forgot the 600 series for Sony went that large (the 700 and 800 series I believe only is 50" or 55").

But yeah I'd probably say those are your three best options in my opinion for that price range. Probably didn't help I was assuming you wanted total cost under $1200 (ie: including tax, any delivery charges etc).
post #5811 of 5819 Old Today, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAlias View Post
Looking to upgrade my 47" LG to a better HDTV with excellent picture quality and blacks.

1. Budget: $1200
2. Seating distance: 8-9 ft
3. Size/placement limitations: 55" or 60"
4. Uses and sources: Lots of Movies/TV.
5. Room lighting: Has a big window but can be curtained when watching to reduce glare.

Some models that I researched which seem to fit the profile are listed below.

1. Sony KDL60W850B - Saw it in Fry's but wasn't totally sold on as there was a lot of glare due to the TV placement and some idiotic content being played.
2. Sony KDL60W630B - Found the blacks to be really good but felt overall brightness was lower
3. Sony KDL55W700B
5. Samsung UN55H6350 - Went with the 55" as apparently the 60" is a panel lottery.
6. Vizio E600i-B3
7. Vizio M602i-B3
Teal ones would be my first choices followed by Sony 700B or 630B .The Vizio E600i-B3 has a VA panel and gets good reviews might be a very good value maybe just not quite as good as Samsung or Sony .

The Vizio M602i-B3 *has IPS panel * and not be so hot. (poor contrast/ black levels).

Of the 2 Vizio I would go for the Vizio E600i-B3 much better nite viewing with VA panel although I'm more about Sony and Samsung and own one of each .

Compare and read full reviews http://rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led...series/compare

post #5812 of 5819 Old Today, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Teal ones would be my first choices followed by Sony 700B or 630B .The Vizio E600i-B3 has a VA panel and gets good reviews might be a very good value maybe just not quite as good as Samsung or Sony .

The Vizio M602i-B3 *has IPS panel * and not be so hot. (poor contrast/ black levels).

Of the 2 Vizio I would go for the Vizio E600i-B3 much better nite viewing with VA panel although I'm more about Sony and Samsung and own one of each .

Compare and read full reviews http://rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led...series/compare
Thanks for the reply!

I will remove the M602i-B3 as a possible option as didnt know it was an IPS panel.

Is there any advantage to the 850B over the 630B in picture quality considering that I don't watch any 3D?
post #5813 of 5819 Old Today, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAlias View Post
Thanks for the reply!

I will remove the M602i-B3 as a possible option as didnt know it was an IPS panel.

Is there any advantage to the 850B over the 630B in picture quality considering that I don't watch any 3D?
Without knowing the exact panel in the 630B it's hard to say not having 3D is the major apparent difference from 630B to 850B .

The 850B panel is known it may have somewhat better bright room potential other things are not known they could even be the same AUO 120Hz panels .

My feeling is they shouldn't be dramatically different they are probably both AUO AMVA panels .

post #5814 of 5819 Old Today, 03:01 PM

I'm trying to decide between these 3 options and would appreciate any help.

LG - 55LB6100
Vizio - E550i-B2
Vizio - E600i-B3

I know the E600i-B3 is a 60" TV but it's around the same price as the LG.

Thanks.
post #5815 of 5819 Old Today, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midg8 View Post
I'm trying to decide between these 3 options and would appreciate any help.

LG - 55LB6100
Vizio - E550i-B2
AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration

I know the E600i-B3 is a 60" TV but it's around the same price as the LG.

Thanks.
AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration

Of these Vizio - E600i-B3 or add Sony KDL-W630B/W610B ,Sony KDL55W700B and Samsung UN55H6350 to a short list. all are VA panels . 55" LG definitely and I believe 55 " Vizio have LGD IPS panel I would pass on those.

Last edited by tubetwister; Today at 03:23 PM.
post #5816 of 5819 Old Today, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Of these Vizio - E600i-B3 or add Sony KDL-W630B/W610B ,Sony KDL55W700B and Samsung UN55H6350 to a short list. all are VA panels . 55" LG definitely and I believe 55 " Vizio have LGD IPS panel I would pass on those.
Thanks for the feedback. Guess i'm going with the E600i-B3. It's at the right price point for now.
post #5817 of 5819 Old Today, 07:43 PM

Anyone heard anything about this one?

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...2/product.html

It was supposedly just released.
post #5818 of 5819 Old Today, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Should the 48H6350 be in here as well, as I understand there is a panel lottery with the 50H6350? (See July 13 comment here: http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/samsung/h6350)
I am kind of debating between the 6350 and the W700 -- however, I use the smart features about 75% of my viewing, and the reviews of the Sony smart platform are terrible, while Samsung's are glowing. Yet the Sony seems to be well regarded here, and the 6350 thread here is shockingly short. Rtings says get the 6350 if you're not a gamer, which I'm not.

But Katzmeier at Cnet seems to favor the Sony and isn't all that keen on the Samsung -- and that may be because they got a non-Samsung panel -- yet his review of the Samsung (http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-un50h6350/) has some positive comments about the 6350 that are puzzling given his less-than-glowing overall synopsis: "It matched the black level of the other two Samsungs almost exactly, beat the Sony W800B and Sharp by a nose," and so on. He doesn't actually give much evidence to put the Sony on a much higher pedestal.
post #5819 of 5819 Old Today, 09:10 PM

Quote:

Are you postive on that? I'm pretty sure the B2 panels are the IPS panels and the B3's are Sharp VA panels. If you are going by the rtings review they did a 55" M series not a 60" (I apologize if I'm wrong, I didn't dig through the M series thread, but I would imagine that series judging by Vizio's TV's this year/designations along with the reviews would indicate the B1, B2, B3 panels hold the same throughout the E, M and P series lines).
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page