the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 194 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5791 of 5795 Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just need to know the best TV's between the sizes 40" - 48"

Price is no matter, I have a relative looking for a TV in this size range due to room restrictions. I've found this tough because generally the best TV's for PQ are 50" and up.

Thanks in advance, I've struggled with this. It's a shame the room for this TV can't fit anything larger due to wall/room size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5792 of 5795 Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Moving from projector to LED

I am moving in a few months, so have some time. My current setup is an Epson 5010e projector onto a 92" Firewawk screen. We've had the screen since 2005, so are used to large screen.

The new home won't accommodate projector, and wife is a bit tired of the bit of extra effort to use the system anyway.

I had 'decided' I wanted a Samsung 4K, 75" non-curved set, such as the UN75HU8550.
But I've been reading the thread on that set, and it seems there are a lot experiencing issues such as light in the corners, and clouding, etc. I'm becoming disillusioned due to that (although I realize that it's easier to find the unhappy folks posting than happy. Also been hoping for the price to drop, but it actually went back up after dropping $500 for a while.

Below is a poor picture of the room it will be in, with a mockup of 75" screen:

So, with above info and below in mind, following parameters, what do you think I should consider?
  • Budget - Prefer to stay near 5K
  • Seating distance 10', but can push back to 15'.
  • Sources - Dish Hopper (or may be cable down there); ROKU; Likely no gaming; Blue Ray; Only occasionally HTPC (May do away with it)
  • Room LIghting - as seen in picture. I'm thinking that with the TV on the wall picture, there will not be a problem with direct lighting/reflection
  • Screen size - 70" minimum, prefer 75 or up to 85

I suspect I'll be wanting to do something in the late December, or into January timeframe, so I waiting can be figured into teh equation.

Thanks
Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5793 of 5795 Old Today, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey folks, I joined the forum to gather some valuable insight in regards to aid my decision for a new television. In a nutshell, I have been doing solid research on TV's for a good month now. When I think I have my mind finally made up, there is something I read or hear from a review which makes me think twice. I don't think I'm any further ahead now than I was a month ago, so I'm turning to you fine folks for some helpful advice-tv shopping has suddenly gotten aggravating.

I have my mind pretty much made up on one of the following sets...I am not a gamer (or techy) of any kind and my two kids are 4 & 2 so they don't game (yet) either. The TV will be used mainly for just that...watching TV (I live in Alberta, Canada- my TV service provider is Telus and I have their "Optik" TV service). We watch lots of movies, especially animated ones for the kids on blu-ray and DVD, other kids shows which are on tv, reality tv (the Mrs.) and I watch the real "reality tv" aka: sports. I watch a lot of hockey, football (be it CFL, NFL or NCAA) and baseball. Here are the sets I am currently interested in:

1) Panasonic Viera TC-50AS630
2) LG 47LB6300
3) Sony KDL50W790/800B
4) Sony KDL48W600B

From talking to several salesmen at different electronic stores, namely Future Shop & Visions, they all have agreed on one thing-I should go with 120 hz, which is fine (I'm aware the 600B is a 60 Hz but I have read good things about it). After that, I feel like I'm being pulled in different directions. One salesman at Visions said Sony is going downhill and they have dropped them because of their poor customer service (news to me). I asked him about the Panasonic TVs and he raved about them, indicating they may have hung onto Plasma a bit too long and because of this, they lost their share in the LED market, but they still make a great tv. I asked a salesman at FS about Panasonic, he laughed and said "You're the first customer to have mentioned that company by name to me in about a year"...even though they sell them. He then didn't have great things to say about Panasonic, but yet a 3rd salesman at a 3rd electronics place also raved about them just as the one at Visions did so I guess 2 out of 3 isn't bad. Most salesman at FS are pushing me towards the Sony's, the ones at Visions aren't really pushing one brand over the other (minus the Sony mudslinging) meanwhile all salesmen have been fairly neutral about the LG 47lb6300, but with more positive comments than negative.

One other thing that has me scratching my head is that I have read that the TV should be switched back to 60 Hz for regular and movie viewing and changed to 120 Hz for sports...do these TVs I have listed have this as an option to do so, or is it strictly displaying at 120 Hz forever?

We are on a budget and are not wanting to spend more than $900 (maybe $1000) and all these TVs are currently on sale for around that dollar figure. Based on my criteria above, any advice on why I should buy one make/model over the other?

At this moment, I am leaning slightly towards the Panasonic and LG but any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance...

**Forgot to mention, it will be mounted to the wall in our living room which is very naturally bright as it has a very large window (will not shine directly on the tv).

Last edited by Charlie Murphy; Today at 12:12 AM.
post #5794 of 5795 Old Today, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Murphy View Post
Hey folks, I joined the forum to gather some valuable insight in regards to aid my decision for a new television. In a nutshell, I have been doing solid research on TV's for a good month now. When I think I have my mind finally made up, there is something I read or hear from a review which makes me think twice. I don't think I'm any further ahead now than I was a month ago, so I'm turning to you fine folks for some helpful advice-tv shopping has suddenly gotten aggravating.

I have my mind pretty much made up on one of the following sets...I am not a gamer (or techy) of any kind and my two kids are 4 & 2 so they don't game (yet) either. I watch a lot of hockey, football (be it CFL, NFL or NCAA) and baseball. Here are the sets I am currently interested in:

1) Panasonic Viera TC-50AS630
2) LG 47LB6300
3) Sony KDL50W790/800B
4) Sony KDL48W600B

**Forgot to mention, it will be mounted to the wall in our living room which is very naturally bright as it has a very large window (will not shine directly on the tv).
Long as you don't watch the LG after dark it would be OK (poor blacks/low contrast ) blacks are greyish at nite grey letter bars at nite are distracting . one of the 5 sets I have is a 2013 LG same type IPS panel. I have a 2013 Sony LED in my bedroom better overall good day nite TV good black and contrast .

The Panasonic TC-50AS630 is a lower price Panny
made by TPV an OEM mfr. for Vizio and others (TPV owns 25% of Vizio and all of philips TV ) it could be OK if priced right it was $459.00 USD at B.B. here in US last week if it looks decent in the store I would give it some consideration at that price if it costs same as Sony maybe not. Most Sonys made by Foxconn IMO a step up from TPV .

Sony 800B is the pick of the litter there hands down also the most expensive but something that might keep one happy for a longer time.

There may be another reason the other stores aren't carrying Sony maybe they don't have the money or something, nobody drops a brand name that sells itself like Sony for other than not having enough dough to inventory them ,having enough other brands to manage or something like that .
Compare sets http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd.../w800b/compare
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compare 0921.1.PNG
Views:	4
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	273257  

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; Today at 09:44 AM.
post #5795 of 5795 Old Today, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Long as you don't watch the LG after dark it would be OK (poor blacks/low contrast ) blacks are greyish at nite grey letter bars at nite are distracting . one of the 5 sets I have is a 2013 LG same type IPS panel. I have a 2013 Sony LED in my bedroom better overall good day nite TV good black and contrast .

The Panasonic TC-50AS630 is a lower price Panny
made by TPV an OEM mfr. for Vizio and others (TPV owns 25% of Vizio and all of philips TV ) it could be OK if priced right it was $459.00 USD at B.B. here in US last week if it looks decent in the store I would give it some consideration at that price if it costs same as Sony maybe not. Most Sonys made by Foxconn IMO a step up from TPV .

Sony 800B is the pick of the litter there hands down also the most expensive but something that might keep one happy for a longer time.

There may be another reason the other stores aren't carrying Sony maybe they don't have the money or something, nobody drops a brand name that sells itself like Sony for other than not having enough dough to inventory them ,having enough other brands to manage or something like that .
Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated!! I went back for a second look today and the 800B is going to be out of my price range (at least up here), unless it goes on sale for a lower price in the next 7-14 days. At the end of the day, all have their pros and cons it seems. It's too bad the LG's blacks go greyish in darkened rooms as we do watch TV without lights on later on at night. I did have a look at the US Best Buy site and the one Panasonic I'm presuming is a step below the 50AS630 is currently on sale for $699.99 (50AS530); $459 was a heck of a steal last week for it last week!!

I also went back to Visions as well and I must say I really liked the image quality of the Panasonic (they had the 50AS540 on display). They had all the TVs on the Packers-Lions game so I was able to see first hand how it performed with a football game; visually I was very impressed with both, but the Panasonic stood out just a bit better to me.

The 600B is on for $599.99 (CDN)...any comments on that set in regards to how it would be used in our household? I know its a 60 Hz vs 120, but is it that big of a difference for watching sports?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page