Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsho View Post
Yes, that would help to, I guess!

I'm replacing an elderly Sony 46". I can go as high as 55", given the space I have for the panel. I was considering the Sony KDL50W800B but see it's a VA panel. And yes, in the store at least, it's picture from a radical side angle was nothing to love.
If you want a better view angle the LG are almost always IPS panels trade off is poor black levels and contrast ratio they are fine in daytime and bright rooms and have real good color and pix detail just not so hot at night for letterbox movies or content and deep blacks . My LG IPS panel is better with ambient lighting behind set at nite and has a much better view angle than my Sony LG is not a terrible set at all as long as you know the trade offs .

I have a 2013 LG and a 2013 Sony among the 5 sets here the Sony plays nice in the dark but abysmal view angle .
VA panels have very limited view angles .

compare http://rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/sony/w800b/compare

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 09-27-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 5858 Old 09-28-2014, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Trying to decide

1. Budget: ~$1500
2. Seating distance: 10-12 feet
3. Size/placement limitations: None but looking at 55"
4. Uses and sources: main TV viewing (Xfinity) and console gaming (XB360) with an eye on streaming
5. Room lighting: fairly bright (living room with windows)

I have it narrowed down to several Sonys that I like:
XBR55X850b - $1999, 4k (future proofing?), awesome reviews, but above my preferred price
KDL55W950b - $1100 with my Sony Rewards, mixed reviews
KDL60W850b - $1100, larger screen, mixed reviews, but maybe slightly more positive than the 2014 model

I'm replacing an ancient Sony rear projection LCD. I could care less about 3D, but it seems standard on the better sets; toss up on viewing angle vs. blacks/contrast. I due worry a bit about game lag, but this will mainly be for TV viewing. I like Sony and have the bonus of being able to get a huge discount on the KDLs from sonyrewards.com. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #5853 of 5858 Old 09-28-2014, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

I have a 2013 LG and a 2013 Sony among the 5 sets here the Sony plays nice in the dark but abysmal view angle .
VA panels have very limited view angles .

compare http://rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/sony/w800b/compare
As a matter of fact, I've got an LG 32LE5300 with an IPS panel that indeed has beautiful brightness but unless the chroma is turned WAY down, the yellows tend to shift toward the green. That one sample is the reason I've stayed away from LG. Or (at the risk of a bit of thread hijacking) is there a way to fix that? If I didn't think another LG would do the same thing, I'd go for one of those in an instant.

To the world, you are just a person. To a rescue dog, you are the world!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- local in Austin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- national
post #5854 of 5858 Old 09-28-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As a matter of fact, I've got an LG 32LE5300 with an IPS panel that indeed has beautiful brightness but unless the chroma is turned WAY down, the yellows tend to shift toward the green. That one sample is the reason I've stayed away from LG. Or (at the risk of a bit of thread hijacking) is there a way to fix that? If I didn't think another LG would do the same thing, I'd go for one of those in an instant.
A calibration should fix it my LG doesn't do do that the colors are very accurate.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #5855 of 5858 Old 09-28-2014, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

I went ahead and brought home a kdl50w500b this afternoon and I have never, ever, seen a set with such a poor viewing angle. Anything more than 20 degrees off center and it looks worse than my 10+ year old 46 Sony LCD that's being replaced. It looks like it's LG or nothing.

- local in Austin

- national
post #5856 of 5858 Old 09-28-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I went ahead and brought home a kdl50w500b this afternoon and I have never, ever, seen a set with such a poor viewing angle. Anything more than 20 degrees off center and it looks worse than my 10+ year old 46 Sony LCD that's being replaced. It looks like it's LG or nothing.
Some of the newer Sony's are using a horizontally oriented VA panel and the viewing is abysmal. I'm not sure why they are doing that maybe it helps wall mounting view angles or maybe the panel fab gets more panels out of an LCD sheet in some sizes I don't know which way the 800B panel is oriented .

The Sony I bought early this year for my bedroom is like that good picture straight on though .ofc the LG w/IPS here has a much greater view angle but the Samsung plasma here has the best view angles of 5 sets here.

post #5857 of 5858 Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Been researching TV's for about 3 weeks and still have no idea what to get!

Budget is $2K(ish)
main couch will be about 14 ft away straight on, 2nd couch will be about 6-12ft away(vertical)- but 3-4 feet to the left (this couch will mostly only be used for guest- so not really important for viewing angle)

this is the "family" room in the basement, so I can controll the light level for the most part

Mostly TV watching (OTA) and netflix streaming, sports (streaming) and Blu-Ray movies- no video games- Have never watch 3d, but am semi interested in it (but not sure if I'll watch it once and never do it again)

I was thinking of the Samsung UN65H7150, but now thinking I should go 70" for the viewing distance

so I've been looking at these TV's

Sony KDL70W850B
LG 70LB7100
Sharp LC-70SQ15U
Vizio (70") All models, have read not much of a difference between E and M at that size, not sure if P model is worth extra money
post #5858 of 5858 Unread Yesterday, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Some of the newer Sony's are using a horizontally oriented VA panel and the viewing is abysmal. I'm not sure why they are doing that maybe it helps wall mounting view angles or maybe the panel fab gets more panels out of an LCD sheet in some sizes I don't know which way the 800B panel is oriented .

The Sony I bought early this year for my bedroom is like that good picture straight on though .ofc the LG w/IPS here has a much greater view angle but the Samsung plasma here has the best view angles of 5 sets here.
This must be one of those Sonys using the horizontal panel. It goes back tomorrow.

I used it seriously for the first time tonight and it was a disaster. No kidding...my eight year old Sony 46" has a more accurate, sharper, and yes, brighter, picture at more than 20 degrees. This thing is a disgrace.

Next stop...probably the Vizio M552I-B2. BB has a decent sale on and I've got some discounts that should bring it to $740 plus tax. What the heck...I've got nothing better to do than cart TV sets all over south Austin .

- local in Austin

- national

Last edited by austinsho; Today at 06:38 AM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread