the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 200 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5971 of 5994 Old 10-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Member
 
squadRAWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
How would you compare a Sharp to an Vizio or even Pansonic brand? I'm new to TV's.
squadRAWR is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5972 of 5994 Old 10-18-2014, 08:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by squadRAWR View Post
How would you compare a Sharp to an Vizio or even Pansonic brand? I'm new to TV's.
In my opinion, Sharp is still better than Vizio, especially on creating big screen TV. But still behind Samsung, Sony, LG and Panasonic in quality.
carolalden is offline  
post #5973 of 5994 Old 10-18-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 142
does anyone own a 70lb7100? I'm currently in the return period of another TV. And the only thing holding me back is finding out if I just had a bad panel. Or if LG is just really bad for gaming. Here is my video, look toward the end where there is a blueish trail on the ceiling. The video isn't great but you can see that part very obviously. That's how bad it was. .



I was also having severe global dimming.


The PQ was great, better than the Sony IMO. But those 2 issues were huge.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
Teremei is offline  
post #5974 of 5994 Old 10-19-2014, 06:59 AM
Member
 
ParityBit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 11
D-e-d ..... Dead TV.

So my office 46 inch TV (Samsung TL-T4671FX) Just crapped the bed. I tried changing cable boxes and all wires. The screen when I turn on is vertical lines, and IF a picture shows up, it is all pixelated and jumping.

Thus, I am in the market for a new LED LCD which in in the range of 500 bucks, 40-50 inches. I just this for watching sports and playing the off video game when I loose the right to my living room (i.e. Wife or kid gets the TV).

Any suggestions?

Thanks
ParityBit is offline  
post #5975 of 5994 Old 10-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Newbie
 
timb38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have ~$2700 to buy a new TV. The seating is roughly 10-12' away, and it will be mainly used for gaming, movies/netflix viewing, and the occasional sports. I'd like to get a 55"-60".

I've had recommended to me the HU8550 series. Is this my best option?
timb38 is offline  
post #5976 of 5994 Old 10-19-2014, 02:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParityBit View Post
D-e-d ..... Dead TV.

So my office 46 inch TV (Samsung TL-T4671FX) Just crapped the bed. I tried changing cable boxes and all wires. The screen when I turn on is vertical lines, and IF a picture shows up, it is all pixelated and jumping.

Thus, I am in the market for a new LED LCD which in in the range of 500 bucks, 40-50 inches. I just this for watching sports and playing the off video game when I loose the right to my living room (i.e. Wife or kid gets the TV).

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Maybe You can try Sony KDL40W600B or Samsung UN40H5500. You can check some article such as
http://www.hdtvversus.com/samsung-un...dl40w600b.html.
They're both Smart TV, if you don't think about Smart TV, You can also check LG 42LB5600.
Hope that can help.
carolalden is offline  
post #5977 of 5994 Old 10-19-2014, 03:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by timb38 View Post
I have ~$2700 to buy a new TV. The seating is roughly 10-12' away, and it will be mainly used for gaming, movies/netflix viewing, and the occasional sports. I'd like to get a 55"-60".

I've had recommended to me the HU8550 series. Is this my best option?
Samsung UN55HU8550, Sony XBR55X850B or LG 55UB9500 are your options in my opinions, You can also check VIZIO P602ui-B3.
Samsung UN55HU8550 is best for watching TV, Sony XBR55X850B is better for gaming. Maybe You can check these articles for your information:
http://www.hdtvversus.com/samsung-un...-55ub8500.html => Samsung vs LG
http://www.hdtvversus.com/samsung-un...br55x850b.html => Samsung vs Sony
Hope that help.
carolalden is offline  
post #5978 of 5994 Old 10-19-2014, 06:14 PM
Member
 
PhilipL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Moving in a couple weeks and looking for advice on a TV for the new place. Either 55" or 60", for what will be a fairly bright room, and gets all-around use (TV, movies, gaming - so preferably no super high input lag screens). I'm pretty ambivalent towards 4K or not - all else equal I don't think I really care about it, but if a better TV that happens to be 4K (i.e. better IQ ignoring the 4K part) costs more I'd probably pony up a reasonable premium.
PhilipL is offline  
post #5979 of 5994 Old 10-19-2014, 09:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipL View Post
Moving in a couple weeks and looking for advice on a TV for the new place. Either 55" or 60", for what will be a fairly bright room, and gets all-around use (TV, movies, gaming - so preferably no super high input lag screens). I'm pretty ambivalent towards 4K or not - all else equal I don't think I really care about it, but if a better TV that happens to be 4K (i.e. better IQ ignoring the 4K part) costs more I'd probably pony up a reasonable premium.
Just want to help, but I think It's better if you state your budget range for better estimation.
For 4K:
1. Samsung UN55HU8550 => 4K, complete Smart TV and 3D feature
2. Sony XBR55X850B => 4K, Excellent picture quality, perfect for gaming
3. LG 55UB8500 => 4K, Excellent picture quality, but not that good for gaming.
For Comparison, You can take a look at
http://www.hdtvversus.com/samsung-un...br55x850b.html =>Samsung vs Sony
http://www.hdtvversus.com/samsung-un...-55ub8500.html => Samsung vs LG
http://www.hdtvversus.com/sony-xbr55...-55ub8500.html => Sony vs LG

For 1080p:
1. Samsung UN55H6350 => 1080p Full HD, Complete Smart TV
2. Sony KDL55W850B => 1080p Full HD, Excellent for gaming
3. LG 55LB6300 => 1080p Full HD, newer WebOS Smart TV
4. Vizio M552i-B2 => Lower price but still good picture quality
For Comparison, You can take a look at
http://www.hdtvversus.com/samsung-un...-55lb6300.html => Samsung vs LG
http://www.hdtvversus.com/samsung-un...-m552i-b2.html => Samsung vs Vizio
Hope that help. If you can state your budget, that would be great.
tubetwister likes this.
carolalden is offline  
post #5980 of 5994 Old 10-19-2014, 09:19 PM
Newbie
 
NINaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I'm looking for some TV advice. However, it will all be connected to an old receiver I have, so I need a tv that can properly send Dolby Digital through the optical connection.

1. Budget: $800-1100
2. Seating distance: 12 feet
3. Size/placement limitations: 50-60"
4. Uses and sources: dvd, blu-ray, tv, netflix, pc streaming, maybe some video games.
5. Room lighting: dim, no direct light where TV will be.

I was thinking of either the 55" or 60" Vizio M series, but wasn't sure if there was something better in that price range, so figured I would ask here. Edit: I just realized the 50" P-series UHD screen is in this price range. Should I go for that?

Thanks!

Last edited by NINaudio; 10-19-2014 at 10:03 PM.
NINaudio is offline  
post #5981 of 5994 Old Yesterday, 12:31 AM
Member
 
squadRAWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINaudio View Post
Hi All,

I'm looking for some TV advice. However, it will all be connected to an old receiver I have, so I need a tv that can properly send Dolby Digital through the optical connection.

1. Budget: $800-1100
2. Seating distance: 12 feet
3. Size/placement limitations: 50-60"
4. Uses and sources: dvd, blu-ray, tv, netflix, pc streaming, maybe some video games.
5. Room lighting: dim, no direct light where TV will be.

I was thinking of either the 55" or 60" Vizio M series, but wasn't sure if there was something better in that price range, so figured I would ask here. Edit: I just realized the 50" P-series UHD screen is in this price range. Should I go for that?

Thanks!
I'm bascally in the same boat as he is. What could you guys offer for me and him. Thank you. BTW my seating distance will be 4-7 feet.
squadRAWR is online now  
post #5982 of 5994 Old Yesterday, 12:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINaudio View Post
Hi All,

I'm looking for some TV advice. However, it will all be connected to an old receiver I have, so I need a tv that can properly send Dolby Digital through the optical connection.

1. Budget: $800-1100
2. Seating distance: 12 feet
3. Size/placement limitations: 50-60"
4. Uses and sources: dvd, blu-ray, tv, netflix, pc streaming, maybe some video games.
5. Room lighting: dim, no direct light where TV will be.

I was thinking of either the 55" or 60" Vizio M series, but wasn't sure if there was something better in that price range, so figured I would ask here. Edit: I just realized the 50" P-series UHD screen is in this price range. Should I go for that?

Thanks!
Hi,
For 4K, You can get
1. Samsung UN50HU6950, It's currently around $100 beyond your budget but better in picture quality
2. Vizio P502ui-B1, lower in price but a little less in quality especially the Smart Features than Samsung.
Both of them are 50-Inch, You can check the comparison here
http://www.hdtvversus.com/samsung-un...p502ui-b1.html

For non 4K, You can get
1. Samsung UN55H6350, best choice more expensive price
2. LG 55LB6300,
3. Vizio M552i-B2, lower price, less quality especially on Smart feature
They're all 55-Inch TV, You can check the comparisons here (help you search in google)
http://www.hdtvversus.com/samsung-un...-55lb6300.html => Samsung vs LG
http://www.hdtvversus.com/samsung-un...-m552i-b2.html => Samsung vs Vizio
Hope that help
carolalden is offline  
post #5983 of 5994 Old Yesterday, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I just wanted to chime in. at 12 feet, 50". Heck no to the UHD question. Save money and get the best quality HD you can find. You'd have to be in the 70" range at that distance to really benefit. And even that is kinda borderline.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
Teremei is offline  
post #5984 of 5994 Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
dandirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by timb38 View Post
I have ~$2700 to buy a new TV. The seating is roughly 10-12' away, and it will be mainly used for gaming, movies/netflix viewing, and the occasional sports. I'd like to get a 55"-60".

I've had recommended to me the HU8550 series. Is this my best option?
I wouldn't limit your selection to 4k TVs... At 10-12' you might be surprised that a 1080p resolution might look as good as 4k.

http://www.rtings.com/info/what-is-the-resolution
http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-h...-still-stupid/

Basically these articles say is the human eye on average cannot see details at certain distances. At 10' a 70" set is sort of the max distance for 1080p on average. Meaning for a smaller set like 55-60", you might have to sit closer to actually tell or see the difference in HD and UHD (by their calculations 5.7 feet).

So you might want to look into 1080p sets... That said sometimes the 4k sets have better processors and features that might be of value vs other 1080p sets.
dandirk is online now  
post #5985 of 5994 Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM
Member
 
ReD-BaRoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Flat, 4k, 65-70 inch $3k budget

Folks,

The number of sets is mind boggling, and I have to move fast on this given wife's short window of approval. I'm coming from Panny plasma, looking to move to one of the new 4k sets, but I'm not interested in curved TVs.

Looking at:
Vizio P series
Sony XBRs 850, 950 (don't want the one with speakers on the side).
Non-curved Samsung (if there are any).
The new Panasonics.

I could research this, but it would take a considerable amount of time, and I figured I leverage the AVS brain.

Any impressions folks can give on these sets?

Any direct comparisons/reviews known?

Thanks!
ReD-BaRoN is offline  
post #5986 of 5994 Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReD-BaRoN View Post
Folks,

The number of sets is mind boggling, and I have to move fast on this given wife's short window of approval. I'm coming from Panny plasma, looking to move to one of the new 4k sets, but I'm not interested in curved TVs.

Looking at:
Vizio P series
Sony XBRs 850, 950 (don't want the one with speakers on the side).
Non-curved Samsung (if there are any).
The new Panasonics.

I could research this, but it would take a considerable amount of time, and I figured I leverage the AVS brain.

Any impressions folks can give on these sets?

Any direct comparisons/reviews known?

Thanks!
Samsung UN55HU8550 or Sony XBR55X850B, direct comparison can be found here
http://www.hdtvversus.com/samsung-un...br55x850b.html
If you tell us about your budget, your sitting distance, that will give you better recommendation.
carolalden is offline  
post #5987 of 5994 Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM
Member
 
ReD-BaRoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the quick response. We're sitting at roughly a little over 12 feet.

That being said, the room is open to the kitchen and we often watch tv from there (cooking, over dinner, etc.) That would be 20 (table) - 40 (sink/stove) feet depending where you are.
ReD-BaRoN is offline  
post #5988 of 5994 Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM
Newbie
 
NINaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
I just wanted to chime in. at 12 feet, 50". Heck no to the UHD question. Save money and get the best quality HD you can find. You'd have to be in the 70" range at that distance to really benefit. And even that is kinda borderline.
Thanks all, went with the Vizio M552i-B2
NINaudio is offline  
post #5989 of 5994 Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,436
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReD-BaRoN View Post
Thanks for the quick response. We're sitting at roughly a little over 12 feet.

That being said, the room is open to the kitchen and we often watch tv from there (cooking, over dinner, etc.) That would be 20 (table) - 40 (sink/stove) feet depending where you are.

Check out rtings.com it's the only site I know that has an official review of the Vizio P series. We should start seeing more reviews within the next week or two.


Sent from an system/360
Ph8te is online now  
post #5990 of 5994 Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
dandirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReD-BaRoN View Post
Folks,

The number of sets is mind boggling, and I have to move fast on this given wife's short window of approval. I'm coming from Panny plasma, looking to move to one of the new 4k sets, but I'm not interested in curved TVs.

Looking at:
Vizio P series
Sony XBRs 850, 950 (don't want the one with speakers on the side).
Non-curved Samsung (if there are any).
The new Panasonics.

I could research this, but it would take a considerable amount of time, and I figured I leverage the AVS brain.

Any impressions folks can give on these sets?

Any direct comparisons/reviews known?

Thanks!
Hey Red, in pretty much the same boat... Replacing a 58" Panny plasma 7 years old (TH-58PX600U if I remember right).

I have pretty much reduced my options down to the Vizio P70 or the Sammy 75" H6350.

Wracking my brain!!!!!!

I view at 9.5-10' which by all accounts is at the very low end (and just below) of the 4k "worth it" size to distance ratio.

Thus I am debating if another 5" is worth giving up 4k for? From what I seen the sammys are pretty good panels. The Vizio seems to be on par due to the FALD setup.

I guess I just gotta spend another hour at BB looking at the sets. The H6350 sammy and Vizio P series seem to be very close in general performance. DSE seems to be reported worse on the panny but at those large sizes I bet all panels will have DSE which "might" show up in pan scenes.
dandirk is online now  
post #5991 of 5994 Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM
Member
 
ParityBit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolalden View Post
Maybe You can try Sony KDL40W600B or Samsung UN40H5500. You can check some article such as
http://www.hdtvversus.com/samsung-un...dl40w600b.html.
They're both Smart TV, if you don't think about Smart TV, You can also check LG 42LB5600.
Hope that can help.
Which would be better? The Samsung H6350 LED TV or the VIZIO E500i-B1?

I am thinking maybe one of those?
ParityBit is offline  
post #5992 of 5994 Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParityBit View Post
Which would be better? The Samsung H6350 LED TV or the VIZIO E500i-B1?

I am thinking maybe one of those?
Samsung UN50H6350 in my opinion. But It's more expensive. Better in picture quality and Smart Features. Notes that Vizio E500i-B1's 120Hz is effective refresh rate, while Samsung's UN50H6350 120Hz is native refresh rate. But other people may have different opinion for sure.
carolalden is offline  
post #5993 of 5994 Old Today, 10:22 AM
Member
 
phases's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We too are agonizing over this. We are, I think, down to the following:

- Vizio P series 70"
- Sammy 8550 Flat 65"
- Sammy f8500 Plasma 65"
- Sony x850b 70"

Notes:

- Couch is about 11 feet away, with seating maybe 3.5 feet off center either way. So that's what.. the edge of the screen?
- We're pretty annoyed by motion jitters.
- We like plasma but hate to get something 65 or 70 inch and not go 4k at that distance. Occasionally, we'll sit as close as 8 ft.

We waited a long time for the P series to hit, and now I've seen the 55" version. I noted jitters which annoyed me. I don't know if was poor settings on the display or what. I wish I could see a 70". I found a store that has the 8550, 8500 and x850b side by side, but no P series and the content isn't ideal. P series is priced right but I'm not too worried about that. I do not want jitters, and I want to make sure our viewing angles are pretty safe. I really like the full array of the P series - but am I placing too much value on that?

I realize it all comes down to me, to us, what we want. But we can't decide and are agonizing, because we can't see them side by side with appropriate content on them.

Any thoughts appreciated. For example, if most could honestly with no bias say, "Look man, The [insert tv here] is all around, in general, no doubt "better" than the P series, hence the major cost difference.. because while it may not have full-array its stronger in this this and this", well, then say it

Alternatively, if the general thought of the avsbrain is "the price of the P series is a no brainer the viewing angles at your distance is fine and you surely saw a set not yet set up correctly" then say that too.

Any input appreciated We have been going back and forth a while and really just want to end the madness. Even if it means waiting till next year!

Thanks again.

Every forum should have a Phases.
Super Stick Phase Gets An HDTV | Part 2

Last edited by phases; Today at 11:02 AM.
phases is online now  
post #5994 of 5994 Old Today, 11:03 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks so much for doing this. I realized a while back that people on the forums probably have better things to do then tell me how to spend my money
abcaudio is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off