the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 201 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6001 of 6015 Old 10-22-2014, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need advice for a 50''-55'' Gaming and Movies.

So, I have been looking around all over the internet (CNET, AMAZON etc...) for some advice on a new TV.

We will be moving out next summer and want something a bit more up-to-date. Also, my current setup just doesn't satisfy me on a gaming level (PS3-PS4, using a Sharp Aquos Quatron 46LE81OUN)

Went to bestbuy. The kid who gave me advice pointed me toward those 2 models:

LG LB6300 series(either 47-55) - IPS pannel was a +. Not 3D(do not care about 3D)
currently 1339$ CAN.... 900$ US (amazon, cheapest NEW available) for the 55'' model. 47'' is 100$ cheaper.

Sony KDL50W790b (a bit cheaper $, has 3D) I think the USA equivalent is the KDL50W800.
currently 1039$ CAN at Fshop (100$ off til tomorow) and 848$US (Amazon)

Both are 120hz. LG has the IPS wich seems to make the image damn nice. Sony seemed good also.

Any advice, could also look into other models. Living in Canada. Ideally a good CAN price in a Futureshop or Bestbuy would be better, but I am considering buying over Amazon.com and have it shipped to freeport forwarding then go pick it up (1hour drive from Montreal).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6002 of 6015 Old 10-22-2014, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpunited View Post
So, I have been looking around all over the internet (CNET, AMAZON etc...) for some advice on a new TV.

We will be moving out next summer and want something a bit more up-to-date. Also, my current setup just doesn't satisfy me on a gaming level (PS3-PS4, using a Sharp Aquos Quatron 46LE81OUN)

LG LB6300 series(either 47-55) - IPS pannel was a +. Not 3D(do not care about 3D)
currently 1339$ CAN.... 900$ US (amazon, cheapest NEW available) for the 55'' model. 47'' is 100$ cheaper.

Sony KDL50W790b (a bit cheaper $, has 3D) I think the USA equivalent is the KDL50W800.

Both are 120hz. LG has the IPS wich seems to make the image damn nice. Sony seemed good also.

Any advice, could also look into other models. Living in Canada. Ideally a good CAN price in a Futureshop or Bestbuy would be better, but I am considering buying over Amazon.com and have it shipped to freeport forwarding then go pick it up (1hour drive from Montreal).
Hi,
Maybe you can consider to look at Samsung UN50H6350 as well? It also has 48 Inch (UN48H6350) and 55 Inch (UN55H6350). Maybe you can take a look at http://www.hdtvversus.com/samsung-un...-50lb6300.html for a comparison between Samsung UN50H6350 with LG 50LB6300.
In my opinion, Samsung is better than LG for gaming.
post #6003 of 6015 Old 10-22-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by phases View Post
We too are agonizing over this. We are, I think, down to the following:

- Vizio P series 70"
- Sammy 8550 Flat 65"
- Sammy f8500 Plasma 65"
- Sony x850b 70"

Notes:

- Couch is about 11 feet away, with seating maybe 3.5 feet off center either way. So that's what.. the edge of the screen?
- We're pretty annoyed by motion jitters.
- We like plasma but hate to get something 65 or 70 inch and not go 4k at that distance. Occasionally, we'll sit as close as 8 ft.

We waited a long time for the P series to hit, and now I've seen the 55" version. I noted jitters which annoyed me. I don't know if was poor settings on the display or what. I wish I could see a 70". I found a store that has the 8550, 8500 and x850b side by side, but no P series and the content isn't ideal. P series is priced right but I'm not too worried about that. I do not want jitters, and I want to make sure our viewing angles are pretty safe. I really like the full array of the P series - but am I placing too much value on that?

I realize it all comes down to me, to us, what we want. But we can't decide and are agonizing, because we can't see them side by side with appropriate content on them.

Any thoughts appreciated. For example, if most could honestly with no bias say, "Look man, The [insert tv here] is all around, in general, no doubt "better" than the P series, hence the major cost difference.. because while it may not have full-array its stronger in this this and this", well, then say it

Alternatively, if the general thought of the avsbrain is "the price of the P series is a no brainer the viewing angles at your distance is fine and you surely saw a set not yet set up correctly" then say that too.

Any input appreciated We have been going back and forth a while and really just want to end the madness. Even if it means waiting till next year!

Thanks again.
XBR-70X850B 4K = VA panel AUO

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #6004 of 6015 Old 10-22-2014, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I went with the 70LB7100 just wanted to update. The newest TV I got in had improved motion blur and improved artifacts (meaning less) compared to my first panel. For someone who was restricted to passive 3D, I would rate it as a very good TV.

Good contrast ratio, nice PQ, average + for gaming, and incredible 3D.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
post #6005 of 6015 Old Yesterday, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Quote:
We too are agonizing over this. We are, I think, down to the following:

- Vizio P series 70"
- Sammy 8550 Flat 65"
- Sammy f8500 Plasma 65"
- Sony x850b 70"

Notes:

- Couch is about 11 feet away, with seating maybe 3.5 feet off center either way. So that's what.. the edge of the screen?
- We're pretty annoyed by motion jitters.
- We like plasma but hate to get something 65 or 70 inch and not go 4k at that distance. Occasionally, we'll sit as close as 8 ft.

We waited a long time for the P series to hit, and now I've seen the 55" version. I noted jitters which annoyed me. I don't know if was poor settings on the display or what. I wish I could see a 70". I found a store that has the 8550, 8500 and x850b side by side, but no P series and the content isn't ideal. P series is priced right but I'm not too worried about that. I do not want jitters, and I want to make sure our viewing angles are pretty safe. I really like the full array of the P series - but am I placing too much value on that?

I realize it all comes down to me, to us, what we want. But we can't decide and are agonizing, because we can't see them side by side with appropriate content on them.

Any thoughts appreciated. For example, if most could honestly with no bias say, "Look man, The [insert tv here] is all around, in general, no doubt "better" than the P series, hence the major cost difference.. because while it may not have full-array its stronger in this this and this", well, then say it

Alternatively, if the general thought of the avsbrain is "the price of the P series is a no brainer the viewing angles at your distance is fine and you surely saw a set not yet set up correctly" then say that too.

Any input appreciated We have been going back and forth a while and really just want to end the madness. Even if it means waiting till next year!

Thanks again.
XBR-70X850B 4K = VA panel AUO
Thanks for the reply. Two things. I measured... we're 11 feet back and 5 feet left or right. Will edit my OP.

And second, we've actually been looking hard at that one. Spent a while looking at it right along side all others but the Vizio a couple days this week. It's a nice one! We nearly pulled the trigger..

Last edited by phases; Yesterday at 05:03 AM.
post #6006 of 6015 Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildh View Post
Yeah that's what I thought. I'm going to have check the price again tomorrow when I'm back at work. It was through a corporate perks website and was listed at $1500. It's not at that on the samsung site now that I look outside the perks site. Either that or it could have been a mess up and I should've ordered it!

Yeah...just looked again and it's $1500 through this corp perks. Free delivery. No sales tax. I'm going to swing by BB and see if they have one in stock to view. Maybe I'll see if they can price match too. I'm not sold on the curved thingy, but at this discount, it seems worth the flier. Worst case, I could sell it later.
post #6007 of 6015 Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Two things. I measured... we're 11 feet back and 5 feet left or right. Will edit my OP.

And second, we've actually been looking hard at that one. Spent a while looking at it right along side all others but the Vizio a couple days this week. It's a nice one! We nearly pulled the trigger..
Vizio P model might be a great bang for the buck the folks at the vizio P owners forum here think it's a lot of set for the money and pretty decent . I haven't seen one myself. I've seen the Sony also owned 3 Sony's including one I have now.
I've never regretted paying the 'Sony tax' . ofc I would look at the Samsung and Vizio also.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; Yesterday at 10:11 AM.
post #6008 of 6015 Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolalden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpunited View Post

Hi,
Maybe you can consider to look at Samsung UN50H6350 as well? It also has 48 Inch (UN48H6350) and 55 Inch (UN55H6350). Maybe you can take a look at http://www.hdtvversus.com/samsung-un...-50lb6300.html for a comparison between Samsung UN50H6350 with LG 50LB6300.

Hmmm. Ok will look at it. Still not to sure honestly. Between the Samsung and LG both seem prety close. The Sony is currently cheaper. Hard to pick.
post #6009 of 6015 Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Hi,
Maybe you can consider to look at Samsung UN50H6350 as well? It also has 48 Inch (UN48H6350) and 55 Inch (UN55H6350). Maybe you can take a look at ] for a comparison between Samsung UN50H6350 with LG 50LB6300.
Managed to find a review of the Sony VS a similar tv(Samsung UN50H6400)

Not exactly the same tv's but prety close. Seems like the Sony would be a bit better picture quality/wise.

While in the samsung's vs LG, Samsung was close match, but seems like Samsung was a bit better with contrast and color details.

Then I would say that Sony would be the best choice purely for picture quality. I dont really care about the smart tv and smart remotes (Using both PS3 and PS4 so i get prety much all i need)

Any comments?

Thanks for the advice.
post #6010 of 6015 Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

AFAIK most reviews with only a few exceptions ultimately put Sony at the top of the heap for LCD picture quality within their price brackets . I have a 2013 Samsung plasma , 2013 Sony ,LG,Toshiba LED/LCD and a 2011 Insignia CCFL/LCD set all are 1080p models .

Of the sets I have here the Sony is at the top of the LCD sets here for picture quality.

Last edited by tubetwister; Yesterday at 02:03 PM.
post #6011 of 6015 Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM

Quote:
AFAIK most reviews with only a few exceptions ultimately put Sony at the top of the heap for LCD picture quality within their price brackets . I have a Samsung plasma and Sony ,LG,Toshiba and Insignia LED/LCD sets here all are 2013 1080p models except the Insignia it's a 2011 1080p.
Of the sets I have here the Sony is at the top of the LCD/LED sets here for picture quality.
Thanks for the tip. Will take into consideration.
post #6012 of 6015 Old Today, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
LOL, for sure if you have a good budget go ahead and choose Samsung UN65H7150. It's better than UN65H6350 and for sure more expensive. I was trying to make it close to $1500.
The comparison from LG is LG 65LB7100.
http://www.hdtvversus.com/samsung-un...-65lb7100.html
Samsung and LG usually have a side by side HDTV models.
Well I ended up buying a Samsung F8500 60" Plasma after all the rave reviews. Right at 2k. The thing buzzes annoyingly and I'll likely be returning it. Now I'm worried no LCD will compare to the picture for the same price.

If 2k was your budget what would you buy?
post #6013 of 6015 Old Today, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Well I ended up buying a Samsung F8500 60" Plasma after all the rave reviews. Right at 2k. The thing buzzes annoyingly and I'll likely be returning it. Now I'm worried no LCD will compare to the picture for the same price.

If 2k was your budget what would you buy?

For 1080p maybe the Sony 60W850B ~ $ 1599.00 it's probably just as good as the more expensive 65W950B , some published reviewers think so 60W850B is AUO AMVA panel 1080p panel 65W950B is IPS panel

4K maybe the Sony XBR-55X950B 4K w/ AUO AMVA 2160p panel ~ $1499.00 both are active 3D.

Or maybe see if you can find a 60f8500 that doesn't buzz if that's possible . I have a 60F5300 without buzzing.

post #6014 of 6015 Old Today, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
4K maybe the Sony XBR-55X950B 4K w/ AUO AMVA 2160p panel ~ $1499.00 both are active 3D.
I assume you mean 55X900B as there is no 55-inch 950B.

The contrast and blacks on the 900B and 950B sets are MUCH better than the 850B. I know that it's frequently a cost decision for folks, but in my opinion, the 900B is worth the premium over the 850B... the premium of the 950B is much harder to justify IMO (much more af a price difference, almost double that of the 900B).

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
post #6015 of 6015 Old Today, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
For 1080p maybe the Sony 60W850B ~ $ 1599.00 it's probably just as good as the more expensive 65W950B , some published reviewers think so 60W850B is AUO AMVA panel 1080p panel 65W950B is IPS panel

Or maybe see if you can find a 60f8500 that doesn't buzz if that's possible . I have a 60F5300 without buzzing.
Yeah Frys is out of new ones for me to try and they are not sure they are getting more into the store. It's pretty much exhcange for a different TV, return, or suck it up at this point.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page