the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 211 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #6301 of 6330 Old 12-14-2014, 05:26 PM
Newbie
 
Bond_E111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a new TV for my basement to replace my dinosaur Hitachi 51' CRT TV. I'm looking for 55-65. I have a Panasonic VT60 55 in my living room & love it. I'm also looking for the best picture, as we will be watching NFL & also will be using it for my ps4, & some movies. I'd say budget is no more than $3,000. I'm also thinking go 4k rather than 1080p.

Where the TV will be facing won't have any windows per say. It will be right next to my sliding glass door leading out to my backyard tho.

Last edited by Bond_E111; 12-14-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Bond_E111 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6302 of 6330 Old 12-14-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeneral View Post
I would ask the question of should I really be getting an LCD over a plasma to the list. The best plasmas are still better than OLED and unless you have no light control in a very bright room then it's much better than LCD.
There is no plasma currently being manufactured that can compare to the latest OLED from LG. Read any review of the latest OLED offerings and even the best plasmas have been surpassed. As far as LCD's, many of the VA panel equipped 4K offerings are very nice. If you believe what you wrote I see no reason for you to be in a thread asking for opinions as to what LCD you should buy.
andy sullivan is offline  
post #6303 of 6330 Old 12-14-2014, 07:56 PM
Member
 
96p993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeneral View Post
I would ask the question of should I really be getting an LCD over a plasma to the list. The best plasmas are still better than OLED and unless you have no light control in a very bright room then it's much better than LCD.
I would agree except for the noise Plasmas make...You can justify it, make excuses, etc but the noise coming from many plasmas is completely unacceptable.
96p993 is offline  
post #6304 of 6330 Old 12-14-2014, 08:08 PM
Newbie
 
dmccusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Need Help

Coming from a Samsung, Im in the market for a TV:. Out of these 3, what would you choose (taking price and the 4k content out of the equation): I mostly watch sports and movies.

1 - Vizio M602i-B3
2 - Sony KDL-55W800B
3 - LG 55UB8500
dmccusk is offline  
post #6305 of 6330 Old 12-15-2014, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
zgeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96p993 View Post
I would agree except for the noise Plasmas make...You can justify it, make excuses, etc but the noise coming from many plasmas is completely unacceptable.
That's exceedingly rare and limited to certain models. Mine is just as silent as the LCD I own.
zgeneral is offline  
post #6306 of 6330 Old 12-15-2014, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 3,322
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccusk View Post
Coming from a Samsung, Im in the market for a TV:. Out of these 3, what would you choose (taking price and the 4k content out of the equation): I mostly watch sports and movies.

1 - Vizio M602i-B3
2 - Sony KDL-55W800B
3 - LG 55UB8500
Easy one Sony KDL-55W800B

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
tubetwister is offline  
post #6307 of 6330 Old 12-15-2014, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wblynch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Mission Viejo, California
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccusk View Post
Coming from a Samsung, Im in the market for a TV:. Out of these 3, what would you choose (taking price and the 4k content out of the equation): I mostly watch sports and movies.

1 - Vizio M602i-B3
2 - Sony KDL-55W800B
3 - LG 55UB8500
If it helps, that Sony just went on sale at Best Buy for $899. Down from $1097

Personally, I will never buy Visio.
wblynch is online now  
post #6308 of 6330 Old 12-15-2014, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 3,322
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamROOK View Post
I am in the same exact boat, my PZ850U just died on me. Have you decided on anything yet??

Through the research I have done and my budget I have been looking at both the Samsung UN55HU8550 and the Sony XBR55X850B.

Does anyone have any personal preference between the two? Coming from a plasma I would love to get someone that has crispy black levels.

I thought I would just replace the plasma with a Vizio on sale at Costco (M552I-B2) but it has absolutely terrible ghosting issues.

Any help would be great, even if it isn't one of the two models I listed above. Thanks!
Samsung HU8550
Max white: 340.4 cd/m2
calibrated Black level: 0.024 cd/m2 @ 100.5cd/m2
Contrast: 4188 : 1 @ 100.5 cd/m2


Sony W 850B Max white: 305.7 cd/m2
Black level Black level: 0.026 cd/m2 @ 111.1 cd/m2
contrast @ 111.1 cdm2 = Contrast: 4273 : 1

Test results are very close you can compare them and read full reviews and test results here both are real decent : http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd.../w850b/compare

They both have VA panels I believe the 55" Vizio M uses an IPS panel .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
tubetwister is offline  
post #6309 of 6330 Old 12-15-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
s2mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96p993 View Post
Looking for a bit of help on 3 possibly more (recommendations) TV's for a media room. The room is 17x17, Im guessing sitting distance will be 12-14 feet. I dont care about 3D, not interested in 4k right now, not really a big time gamer (might play once in awhile). I am looking in the 75 and larger range. The 3 Im looking at the following:

VIZIO M801i-A3 80-Inch

Samsung UN75H6350 75-Inch

Sharp LC-80UQ17U 80-inch Aquos Q+ (Is the Q+ worth the extra money?)

My absolutely top end budget is 4K but would prefer to not spend all of it unless I really see the advantages.

Thanks
The Samsung is the right choice in that list, IMO. I tried a newer gen Sharp in the 70" size at home for a short period and didnt care for it. The Q+ is sort of a gimmick and doesnt do enough to justify its upcharge over a regular 1080 set. Its like - either be a 4K TV or dont be a 4K TV. This "pseudo-4K" thing is silly.

Vizios seem way too hit and miss for quality control and picture performance if you read the threads here. Not bad sets...but definitely tier-2.

The 6350 Samsung series is a solid line that wont break the bank. And, I believe right now that model is UNDER $2500 bucks at various stores right now. That'd be my choice.

Oh, and in case you're wondering: The 5 inches of screen size will NOT be a huge difference. Its about 15% more viewing area - so its "something" but not enough IMO to get a lower quality set. Quality over quantity.
tubetwister likes this.
s2mikey is offline  
post #6310 of 6330 Old 12-15-2014, 06:39 AM
Member
 
96p993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
The Samsung is the right choice in that list, IMO. I tried a newer gen Sharp in the 70" size at home for a short period and didnt care for it. The Q+ is sort of a gimmick and doesnt do enough to justify its upcharge over a regular 1080 set. Its like - either be a 4K TV or dont be a 4K TV. This "pseudo-4K" thing is silly.

Vizios seem way too hit and miss for quality control and picture performance if you read the threads here. Not bad sets...but definitely tier-2.

The 6350 Samsung series is a solid line that wont break the bank. And, I believe right now that model is UNDER $2500 bucks at various stores right now. That'd be my choice.

Oh, and in case you're wondering: The 5 inches of screen size will NOT be a huge difference. Its about 15% more viewing area - so its "something" but not enough IMO to get a lower quality set. Quality over quantity.

Thanks I appreciate the input, are there are other tv's you would throw into the mix? ...Aside from the tv itself I do like the samsung fit and finish the best.
tubetwister likes this.

Last edited by 96p993; 12-15-2014 at 06:45 AM.
96p993 is offline  
post #6311 of 6330 Old 12-15-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
s2mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96p993 View Post
Thanks I appreciate the input, are there are other tv's you would throw into the mix? ...Aside from the tv itself I do like the samsung fit and finish the best.
Well - I really like my Sony XBR 65" 4K set but they dont have anything at a reasonable price in the size range you are loking at. The best Sony option would be the 70" KDL850W but that model is plagued by radial banding and is smaller than what you are looking for.

So honestly, the Sammy is looking to be the best option for you, IMO. Its at least worth a tryout in your home if that will work.
s2mikey is offline  
post #6312 of 6330 Old 12-15-2014, 12:14 PM
Senior Member
 
bensons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Burnsville, MN USA
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Vizio M602I-B3
LG 60LB7100
or ???

Both sets are $899. Read a couple reviews. Picture quality on the Vizio appears to be higher. Smart apps mean nothing to me. My goal is picture quality. Which one would you choose?

Goal: Looking for best picture quality I can find in a 60" for $1000 or less.

Steven Benson
Minnesota Home Theater User Group (MNHTUG)
Yahoogroups | Facebook
bensons is offline  
post #6313 of 6330 Old 12-15-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 3,322
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensons View Post
Vizio M602I-B3
LG 60LB7100
or ???

Both sets are $899. Read a couple reviews. Picture quality on the Vizio appears to be higher. Smart apps mean nothing to me. My goal is picture quality. Which one would you choose?

Goal: Looking for best picture quality I can find in a 60" for $1000 or less.
FWIW Samsung PN60F5300AFXZA hands down only catch is it's a Plasma but if that's not an issue 4U it gets plenty bright for most rooms and it will spank many LCD costing much more than 1K and Any 1K LCD on the planet.
No embedded wifi though but hook up a PS3,WI-FI BD player or Roku and you are all good .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 12-15-2014 at 05:30 PM.
tubetwister is offline  
post #6314 of 6330 Old 12-15-2014, 08:03 PM
Member
 
Neiby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Henderson, CO
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the market for a new TV to replace my fantastic Samsung LN40A650A that's about eight years old and starting to have some issues. The picture on that thing is really good. Here are my requirements:

Budget: $1,500
Seating distance: 8-10 ft
Size: 48-50 inch (no more than 44.5" width or so)
Sources: DVD, Blu-Ray, Comcast X1 box at 1080p output, Netflix streaming
Room: fairly bright during the day

I bought a Sony W580B from Walmart a week ago and wasn't all that thrilled with it, but that's mostly because the panel was obviously faulty. It had dark splotchy areas in the center and two rows of bright circles along the bottom. Just not a very good picture. I decided that I wanted to get the Samsung 6400 series instead, but while I was at Best Buy to check one out I saw the Samsung 50" 4K 6950. I went ahead and got that and I'm not overly thrilled with it. It looks really good sometimes, but the contrast isn't very good and the color is lacking. It's almost as if it doesn't support all the colors that the source is sending it. Kind of funky and annoying. It also has some issues with lip sync. I need to return it anyway because of a speaker issue. The right speaker sounds like it's about to rattle out of it's shell when it's playing low tones. Kind of annoying.

So, now I don't know what to do. Should I consider the Sony W850B? Or the Samsung 6400? Should I stick with 4K and get the 49" Sony X850B?

Picture quality is my primary concern. If a 1080p set has better contrast and colors than those 4K sets then that's what I want. I definitely don't need 4K now just because the TVs are available. I want the best picture I can find under $1,500. I'd prefer closer to $1,000 but I'm wondering if that's realistic.

Last edited by Neiby; 12-15-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Neiby is offline  
post #6315 of 6330 Old 12-15-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 3,322
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neiby View Post
I'm in the market for a new TV to replace my fantastic Samsung LN40A650A that's about eight years old and starting to have some issues. The picture on that thing is really good. Here are my requirements:

Budget: $1,500
Seating distance: 8-10 ft
Size: 48-50 inch (no more than 44.5" width or so)
Sources: DVD, Blu-Ray, Comcast X1 box at 1080p output, Netflix streaming
Room: fairly bright during the day

I bought a Sony W580B from Walmart a week ago and wasn't all that thrilled with it, but that's mostly because the panel was obviously faulty. It had dark splotchy areas in the center and two rows of bright circles along the bottom. Just not a very good picture. I decided that I wanted to get the Samsung 6400 series instead, but while I was at Best Buy to check one out I saw the Samsung 50" 4K 6950. I went ahead and got that and I'm not overly thrilled with it. It looks really good sometimes, but the contrast isn't very good and the color is lacking. It's almost as if it doesn't support all the colors that the source is sending it. Kind of funky and annoying. It also has some issues with lip sync. I need to return it anyway because of a speaker issue. The right speaker sounds like it's about to rattle out of it's shell when it's playing low tones. Kind of annoying.

So, now I don't know what to do. Should I consider the Sony W850B? Or the Samsung 6400? Should I stick with 4K and get the 49" Sony X850B?

Picture quality is my primary concern. If a 1080p set has better contrast and colors than those 4K sets then that's what I want. I definitely don't need 4K now just because the TVs are available. I want the best picture I can find under $1,500. I'd prefer closer to $1,000 but I'm wondering if that's realistic.
49" Sony X850B has an LGD IPS panel most other Sony's ( including W850B ) use VA panels like Samsung you might be disappointed in the Contrast and black levels .

Samsung 6400 /7150 and Sony W850B are very close test wise and should perform similarly best picture quality south of a couple of grand would of course be the Samsung 60F5300/64F5500 Plasma sets Best picture quality at ~$2400.00 and above of course is ofc the Samsung 64F8500 plasma unless you wanted to go LG OLED.
You can compare Sony and Samsung and other sets here :
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd.../w850b/compare

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 12-15-2014 at 09:01 PM.
tubetwister is offline  
post #6316 of 6330 Old 12-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Member
 
Neiby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Henderson, CO
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw the LG OLED TV recently. Absolutely amazing. I've never seen anything like it, but it also costs $3,500. I think I'll wait for OLED prices to drop a bit. I can't get anything wider than about 44.5 inches, so that rules out any set over 50". I'll probably end up with the Samsung 6400 at this rate. I wish I could find something that matches the eight-year-old LCD I've got now. The picture on that has spoiled me. It also doesn't have the annoying viewing angle problem that all the TVs out now have. That's really frustrating.
Neiby is offline  
post #6317 of 6330 Old 12-15-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 3,322
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neiby View Post
I saw the LG OLED TV recently. Absolutely amazing. I've never seen anything like it, but it also costs $3,500. I think I'll wait for OLED prices to drop a bit. I can't get anything wider than about 44.5 inches, so that rules out any set over 50". I'll probably end up with the Samsung 6400 at this rate. I wish I could find something that matches the eight-year-old LCD I've got now. The picture on that has spoiled me. It also doesn't have the annoying viewing angle problem that all the TVs out now have. That's really frustrating.
4 good picture 51F5300 Samsung Plasma ! Samsung 6400 LED is decent but the plasma is better

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
tubetwister is offline  
post #6318 of 6330 Old 12-15-2014, 09:48 PM
Member
 
Neiby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Henderson, CO
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
4 good picture 51F5300 Samsung Plasma ! Samsung 6400 LED is decent but the plasma is better
That looks really sweet! Unfortunately, it's a little bit too wide for where I need it to go. It's pretty inexpensive, too. That would have been a great option if it were just a tiny bit less wide.
Neiby is offline  
post #6319 of 6330 Old 12-16-2014, 10:10 AM
Member
 
96p993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
Well - I really like my Sony XBR 65" 4K set but they dont have anything at a reasonable price in the size range you are loking at. The best Sony option would be the 70" KDL850W but that model is plagued by radial banding and is smaller than what you are looking for.

So honestly, the Sammy is looking to be the best option for you, IMO. Its at least worth a tryout in your home if that will work.
Great thanks, now I just have to get the possibility of a projector in my media room out of my head.
96p993 is offline  
post #6320 of 6330 Old 12-16-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JuiceRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, California
Posts: 4,719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hello all!

My father is looking to buy a new TV and upgrade from his old massive CRT.

His budget is $1500, but he'd like to keep it lower. He's currently looking at the Visio 65” M Series; LED backlight; active LES Zone X32; 240 clear action refresh 720, primarily because it's currently on sale for under $1000 before taxes.

I used to know quite a bit about tv's, but that was years ago and it was specific to plasma. I'd love any suggestions.

This is best bang for buck picture quality ask, he has no interest in apps or additional features. Here are some specifics about his space;

watches primarily evening
controlled light environment
19 foot viewing distance (yes, he's FAR from his TV!)

Any tips would be much appreciated! Thank you!

-JR
JuiceRocket is offline  
post #6321 of 6330 Old 12-16-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 227
The Vizio would be a good choice as far as bang for the buck. I recommend a extended warranty from Square Trade for all Vizio TV's. He can get smart features (if is wants them) with a smart blu-ray player for under $70.
andy sullivan is offline  
post #6322 of 6330 Old 12-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Member
 
Neiby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Henderson, CO
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
49" Sony X850B has an LGD IPS panel most other Sony's ( including W850B ) use VA panels like Samsung you might be disappointed in the Contrast and black levels .

Samsung 6400 /7150 and Sony W850B are very close test wise and should perform similarly best picture quality south of a couple of grand would of course be the Samsung 60F5300/64F5500 Plasma sets Best picture quality at ~$2400.00 and above of course is ofc the Samsung 64F8500 plasma unless you wanted to go LG OLED.
You can compare Sony and Samsung and other sets here :
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd.../w850b/compare
I went to pick up the Samsung 6400 today but they turned out not to have a new one. They just had an open box TV that didn't even have the base any more. So, I ended up getting the 7150. After tinkering with it for a while, I'e got it looking really great. The contrast and color is SO much better than the 4K 6950. It's a much more pleasing picture, all in all. I'll try out a 4K again when a reasonably priced model comes out with good contrast and color.
Neiby is offline  
post #6323 of 6330 Old 12-16-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 3,322
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post
Hello all!

My father is looking to buy a new TV and upgrade from his old massive CRT.

His budget is $1500, but he'd like to keep it lower. He's currently looking at the Visio 65” M Series; LED backlight; active LES Zone X32; 240 clear action refresh 720, primarily because it's currently on sale for under $1000 before taxes.

I used to know quite a bit about tv's, but that was years ago and it was specific to plasma. I'd love any suggestions.

This is best bang for buck picture quality ask, he has no interest in apps or additional features. Here are some specifics about his space;

watches primarily evening
controlled light environment
19 foot viewing distance (yes, he's FAR from his TV!)

Any tips would be much appreciated! Thank you!

-JR
At 19 ft maybe a better option would be the $1299.00 Vizio Model: E700I-B3 it has all the features of the 65" m model and a same type Sharp ASV panel it only has 18 dimming zones that like 32 zones on the M model won't do much if of anything On a 65" especially at 19 feet.

A 65 inch needs 180- 200 or more dimming zones to be worthwhile not to mention Vizios calibrate better with auto dimming off anyway.

Sharp has some similarly prices 70" sets at 19" you need a big screen .


I have a 60" Sammy plasma at 10 ft and 7 ft seating positions the 7ft position is is real good the 10 ft seating is just OK I wouldn't even try it at 19" .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 12-16-2014 at 09:43 PM.
tubetwister is offline  
post #6324 of 6330 Old 12-16-2014, 09:33 PM
Newbie
 
reds35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone recommend me a TV for a room with that gets a lot of sunlight from the many windows in the room?

The glare on the current TV is brutal.

I have a budget of $2,500, would prefer 4k, and would like it somewhere between 60" and 70".

Thanks
reds35 is offline  
post #6325 of 6330 Old 12-16-2014, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 3,322
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds35 View Post
Can someone recommend me a TV for a room with that gets a lot of sunlight from the many windows in the room?

The glare on the current TV is brutal.

I have a budget of $2,500, would prefer 4k, and would like it somewhere between 60" and 70".

Thanks
Look for something with a bright ~ 900 nit panel maybe one of the Vizio P 4K models at that price/size .

The 70" $2499.00 P702UI-B3 2160p (4K) set can get very bright it has a ~ 900 nit - cd/m2 panel and gets good reviews most 1080P TV are 3-400 nit - cd/m2 by comparison . They also have a 65 P model " for less than the 70" . Sony has similar and arguably better 4K sets but ofc they would cost more but the Vizio is probably decent (and good for bright room ) for the money lot's of folks here like them

P.S FWIW the $2499.00 70" P702UI-B3 Vizio P are $1999.00 at Costco till 12/24

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 12-16-2014 at 10:01 PM.
tubetwister is offline  
post #6326 of 6330 Old 12-16-2014, 11:06 PM
Member
 
Z-5500's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Alright I had posted in this thread about getting a new TV and said it was between the SAMSUNG 7150 (2014) and the 8000 (2013). I've now decided against these two and want to go 4K.

I went into Best Buy today and had a look first hand at the SONY 65X850B and the SAMSUNG UN65HU8550. These two TV's were absolutely jaw dropping spectacular sets and it was really hard to discern between them. I think....I think..... the SONY had a bit more vibrancy and the colors popped a bit more. The guy at the store even said that he preferred the SONY to the SAMSUNG. But I've seen a lot of people on here particularly say that the SAMSUNG has better blacks and tbh I couldn't really compare the two properly in such a bright room.

So help me out guys.......which one should I go for?

Blu-Ray = GOD
Z-5500 is offline  
post #6327 of 6330 Unread Yesterday, 05:20 PM
Newbie
 
the3kgt2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking to upgrade our LC-60LE6400U after realizing our TV is way too small since we're sitting 12 feet away. I'm currently debating between Sharp's LC-80UQ17U for $3500 shipped or Samsung's UN75F8000 for $2800 shipped. I was able to see Sharp's LC-80UQ17U and was really impressed, but I wasn't able to see Samsung's UN75F8000 in person. The Sharp is 5" larger diagonally, can display 2K content, and looked great in person...but it's $700 more than the UN75F8000.
Does anybody have any experience with both these displays?
the3kgt2 is offline  
post #6328 of 6330 Unread Yesterday, 07:27 PM
Newbie
 
dmccusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any recommendations between these?

1 - LG 60LB7100
2 - Sony KDL-55W800B
3 - LG 55LB7200
dmccusk is offline  
post #6329 of 6330 Unread Yesterday, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 3,322
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccusk View Post
Any recommendations between these?

1 - LG 60LB7100
2 - Sony KDL-55W800B
3 - LG 55LB7200
2 - Sony KDL-55W800B overall picture quality and published reviews you can compare some of these here albeit different LG models so these comparisons may not exactly apply but may not be far off in general because of the IPS panels in the LG sets :
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd.../w850b/compare

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LG2.0.PNG
Views:	19
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	428466  

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; Yesterday at 09:40 PM.
tubetwister is offline  
post #6330 of 6330 Unread Today, 03:33 AM
Newbie
 
aak7268's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to upgrade from the old 32-inch Sony that we've got now. Based on my research here, I think I've settled on the 50-inch Toshiba 50L1400U (on sale at BB for $450).

Criteria is that I wanted something with low lag for games and sports, decidedly un-smart (I've got plenty of smart sticks for that), and around $500.

Did I choose wisely? Or is there another set I should consider before I pull the trigger?
aak7268 is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off