post #6331 of 6338 Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by aak7268 View Post
Looking to upgrade from the old 32-inch Sony that we've got now. Based on my research here, I think I've settled on the 50-inch Toshiba 50L1400U (on sale at BB for $450).

Criteria is that I wanted something with low lag for games and sports, decidedly un-smart (I've got plenty of smart sticks for that), and around $500.

Did I choose wisely? Or is there another set I should consider before I pull the trigger?
Bang for the buck for a 50" that's a good choice. You can always find better but at a higher price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6332 of 6338 Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, Andy! Good to hear that I got it right!
post #6333 of 6338 Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by aak7268 View Post
Looking to upgrade from the old 32-inch Sony that we've got now. Based on my research here, I think I've settled on the 50-inch Toshiba 50L1400U (on sale at BB for $450).

Criteria is that I wanted something with low lag for games and sports, decidedly un-smart (I've got plenty of smart sticks for that), and around $500.

Did I choose wisely? Or is there another set I should consider before I pull the trigger?
Published reviews are mixed but a lot of consumer reviews are very favorable on the 50" Toshiba one of my 5 sets here is a 2013 Toshiba it has a very good bright picture although I replaced and repurposed it for a larger Sony nothing is wrong with the Toshiba picture at all I just wanted a bigger set in this room .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; Yesterday at 05:07 PM.
post #6334 of 6338 Old Yesterday, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I am looking to buy my dad a TV for xmas for his living room hopefully between 75" - 80". I am thinking he wants a big TV so I'm looking at 80" sets, and am willing to go go down to 75" and maybe even 70", but would like to stay closest to 80" as possible? Any recommendations -- So far I have been looking into the 80" Vizio or Sharp 80UQ17U and Sharp LC-80LE650U. Any thoughts?
post #6335 of 6338 Old Today, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am looking for a good 60" LCD, and coming from plasma. I don't want 4k and black levels are huge for me. Also color accuracy. Pretty much the most plasma-like LCD out there that is reasonably affordable. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

"I am a shark, the ground is my ocean, and most people can't even swim." - Rickson Gracie
post #6336 of 6338 Old Today, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HI everyone,

I thought I would pick the brains of the AVS community and ask the experts for suggestions.

Looking for a LCD for the living room.

Distance from TV- 7 feet

Chairs offset to side are 5 feet away. Dining table where we also watch is 15 feet away and kitchen is 20 feet away.

Budget - under $2000

TV in open concept living room. kitchen in same area. Windows all around room. Have blinds but room will never be pitch black. So I would need something that wouldn't show too much glare during the day.

My Sony crapped out with a white screen so need to replace that. Went to Best Buy but they didn't really help. They were pushing Samsungs. Not sure if those are better (I've only had Sony's) for Smart TV options, colour, black intensity, etc. Also unsure if going 4K is good or not to do right now as there's not much content. But if I do go 4k, I want one which is the safest for future proofing.

Any input would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
post #6337 of 6338 Old Today, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 227
You don't mention a size preference so my best advice is to make sure you get a IPS panel for reflections. Your price range allows for a very wide choice. Read some reviews on CNET, Amazon etc, research different models here at AVS, narrow it down to 3 or 4 choices then shop based on price. Consider buying from Costco because they have a 90 day return policy and they double the factory warranty. If everything is equal go for size.
post #6338 of 6338 Old Today, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
You don't mention a size preference so my best advice is to make sure you get a IPS panel for reflections. Your price range allows for a very wide choice. Read some reviews on CNET, Amazon etc, research different models here at AVS, narrow it down to 3 or 4 choices then shop based on price. Consider buying from Costco because they have a 90 day return policy and they double the factory warranty. If everything is equal go for size.
@rk05
ips panels can be more or similarly (usually more ) reflective as VA panels .OTOH IPS panels usually offer a wider view angle but trade off poor black levels and contrast in the deal .( see attachment : note LG IPS panel sets below. )

At 15-20ft a 70" would be something to consider .

http://www.rtings.com/info/reflectio...tte-and-glossy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 02.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	755.9 KB
ID:	431809  

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; Today at 07:36 PM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread