the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 213 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #6361 of 6365 Old Today, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Spend my money....

Ok I need help. My 70" Sony Qualia 006 finally kicked the can, and it's a sad day. I need help purchasing a replacement. My thought is 4k ability for longevity, but 3d isn't a real concern for me. nothing less than 65" will be considered.

1. Budget
- I would like to keep the purchase under $4,000 unless there is a size/tech/cost combo that I should not pass up.

2. Seating distance
- Currently the seats are 15' from the screen. The area is flexible so I can move closer and go back to 17'.

3. Size/placement limitations
- I could go 100". Stand is custom made, wide and strong.

4. Uses and sources
A) Video Gaming
B) Sports
C) Direct TV Movies

5. Room lighting
- Complete control of the lighting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6362 of 6365 Old Today, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Your room is big enough that you might want to consider a projector. You should be able to get a decent 1080p projector for $3000 and a fixed 100" screen for another $1000. Just watch out for feature creep (my weakness), or you'll end up with a 4K projector, automatic shades, and a screen hidden in the ceiling that roles down when you turn on the projector.

I've got a projector, but am seriously considering a 65" Panasonic UHD TV. They seem priced right and look pretty good to me in the stores. I like it mainly because it has a display port input that I will be able to connect a computer for gaming.

At the moment it appears Samsung (they partnered with Comcast) will deliver more 4K content than others, but that should be temporary.
post #6363 of 6365 Old Today, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in market for new television, looking to upgrade from my 46-inch Sony. I would like to go to about a 65-inch set or larger. Budget can be whatever, but don't need all the extra bells and whistles, just the best display I can get.
post #6364 of 6365 Old Today, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In the market to buy a TV early next year. Would not be opposed to waiting for a sale on 'last year's' TVs and getting a good deal.

1. Ideally, $1000. Absolute MAX $1500.
2. Not exactly sure yet. Likely about 8 ft max.
3. No real limitation. I want a set that is at least 65" however. I was considering a projector, since it is a large room, but they don't seem to fit my other wants/needs so I think I will stick with an LCD.
4. Blu-Rays, TV shows, gaming via PS3 (probably PS4 soon) and PC (maybe). I would like a true 120hz set so I can force that from my PC if I plan to play games on it. I do want the smooth motion for video as well, so a 240hz set or whatever would also be okay - but I do want it to have a true 120hz refresh rate if possible (even via overclocking from PC).
5. Dark room is generally how I watch TV. There are three light sources in the room, two large windows on the rear and one big window on the back. The TV will be probably between the two large windows on a TV stand. I had considered a projector on the wall to the right of the two large windows, which would fit nearly a 120" screen, but because the ceiling fan above, placement would be odd. Also renting at the moment, so that may hinder it as well.

http://i.imgur.com/piEzIyv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GaOgxIa.jpg
post #6365 of 6365 Unread Today, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFank View Post
I'm in market for new television, looking to upgrade from my 46-inch Sony. I would like to go to about a 65-inch set or larger. Budget can be whatever, but don't need all the extra bells and whistles, just the best display I can get.
I'm shopping around right now myself - I'm looking at a 4K samsung -
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/samsung/hu8550

If you are looking for something less sophisticated - check out the 6350
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/samsung/h6350

The vizio M and P series are options as well.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread