the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 217 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #6481 of 6506 Old 01-25-2015, 11:12 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry for the short response, but I'd check out the LG LB7100 on sale right now. Might be what you're going for considering you'll have a gaming console hooked up to it and LG has great input lag response.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-60-cl...&skuId=3734021
Mr. Fitty is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6482 of 6506 Old 01-25-2015, 11:31 AM
Senior Member
 
bdrex28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok guys looking for some help. I need to have a television in the next 2 days....

Currently I have a Sony HW40ES projector with a 118" Criterion in the media room. But, I need to put up a tv in the living room as ours went out and we need the normal every day television in additttion to the media room tv.

Looking at 65" or so
Budget, doesn't really matter but would prefer under $3000

I originally was going to get the Sony X850b in the 65" but I can't seem to find it here near me in stock and ordering wont get it here by Tuesday.

Then I thought ok I'll get the samsung 65" 7150, it's not 4k but I don't overly care about 4k to be honest. It would be nice but not a huge deal.

And the reviews keep listing it as a great tv.

well, I'm somewhat questioning myself and wondering if it's worth moving up in televisions to a 8550 or a 9000? I would honestly prefer not to spend $4k on a television when the 7150 is $1800.
I know the 9000 is pretty much future proof...or so they say.

thoughts?
bdrex28 is offline  
post #6483 of 6506 Old 01-26-2015, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
hoyalawya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Looking for help too. I am overwhelmed by the information and 4K transition info. I am moving into a new house, have prewired the family room for 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos, and need a new TV. Here are my requirements


1. Budget is under $2,500
2. Size is 65" to 70."
3. The room has a lot of windows so LCD\LED will probably work better.
4. I occasionally play video games (Xbox 1) so input lag must be good.
5. Don't care about smart features.
6. Don't care about sound quality.
7. 3D is not important but would be nice.
8. 4K is not important but would be nice.


Looks like the Vizio 2014 P70 is a great deal right now for $2,000. However, I am torn whether to opt for 4K over 3D as it is likely that the P70 can't display the highest quality picture from a future 4K Blu-ray player.
hoyalawya is online now  
post #6484 of 6506 Old 01-26-2015, 10:12 AM
Member
 
Papa_I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1. Budge under $2,000
2. Size 60-65”
3. No gaming, no need for 3D or smart apps
4. 4k would be ideal but not necessary

I think I have narrowed down the options to the following:
Samsung UN65H6400
Samsung UN65H7150
Vizio P652ui-B2 or P602ui-B3

With the Vizio 4k set being in the same price point as the Samsungs, is that the best option?
Papa_I is offline  
post #6485 of 6506 Old 01-26-2015, 01:29 PM
Member
 
c_nitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Open box Samsung un65h6203 +5yr warranty $693 out the door or new LG 65LB7100 $1079 2yr warranty out the door? I don't care about 3D just reliability and PQ.
c_nitty is offline  
post #6486 of 6506 Old 01-26-2015, 09:15 PM
Member
 
slapshot11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just purchased an LG 60LB7100 from BB...just waiting on delivery. Since then, I've been reading some reviews about this tv online and there is a bunch of talk about the dirty screen effect. How bad is it on this tv? Is it on all of them or certain panels? I am worried because I watch a lot of hockey. Some mentioned that the review was being hyper critical. The reviews I have read, mainly consumer reports gave it very high rankings.
Anyone with this TV want to chime in?
slapshot11 is offline  
post #6487 of 6506 Old 01-26-2015, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 3,471
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrex28 View Post
Ok guys looking for some help. I need to have a television in the next 2 days....

Currently I have a Sony HW40ES projector with a 118" Criterion in the media room. But, I need to put up a tv in the living room as ours went out and we need the normal every day television in additttion to the media room tv.

Looking at 65" or so
Budget, doesn't really matter but would prefer under $3000

I originally was going to get the Sony X850b in the 65" but I can't seem to find it here near me in stock and ordering wont get it here by Tuesday.

Then I thought ok I'll get the samsung 65" 7150, it's not 4k but I don't overly care about 4k to be honest. It would be nice but not a huge deal.

And the reviews keep listing it as a great tv.

well, I'm somewhat questioning myself and wondering if it's worth moving up in televisions to a 8550 or a 9000? I would honestly prefer not to spend $4k on a television when the 7150 is $1800.
I know the 9000 is pretty much future proof...or so they say.

thoughts?
From what I've read Sammy 9000 is quite a bit better P.Q. wise than the 7xxx and 8xxx Sammy LCD's
OTOH the 7100 /8550 are supposed to be pretty decent

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
tubetwister is offline  
post #6488 of 6506 Old 01-27-2015, 02:40 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
this information is useful for me. thanks for this.
williamjames07 is offline  
post #6489 of 6506 Old 01-27-2015, 09:21 AM
Newbie
 
Spud387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi everyone, I could really use some input here. I own a Sony KDL46W4100. I love the TV, but its a little small. The wife & I decided on a Sony because of past experiences, but in the past week we have gone through a 60W630B & a 65W950B. The 630B had banding issues that compounded with the poor viewing angle. The 950B, while it had great viewing angles and I love the picture quality on it, it has even worse banding on it. What are other options out there I should try?

  • Budget
My budget falls between $900 - $1700. While I prefer to stay on the lower end of that budget, I am willing to go up to find the right TV.
  • Seating distance
8ft - 9ft.
  • Size/placement limitations
The TV will be wall mounted. The absolute largest size that will fit is 65". Our preferred size is 60", but can go down to 55" if the best available TV only comes in that size.
  • Uses and sources
This TV will be in the main floor living area, off of the kitchen. I will be frequently watching TV/sports on it from moderate to extreme angles. The TV will have a set top box, Xbox One & PS3 attached to it. The TV will be used as follows: 80% Cable/Netflix, 15% Gaming, 5% Blu-ray movies. Zero interest in 3D.
  • Room lighting
A moderately dark room, but will rarely ever be pitch black. There will usually be a light on when watching the TV.
Spud387 is online now  
post #6490 of 6506 Old 01-27-2015, 12:49 PM
Newbie
 
sgtdisturbed47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Trying to choose between Vizio M502i-b1 or Samsung UN48H6350

Between the Vizio M502i-b1 and the Samsung UN48H6350, the differences I see, on paper and from seeing a couple reviewa, is 2" size difference, the Vizio is FALD, and the Samsung looks like it has decent blacks as well. My concern about the FALD on such a budget-oriented TV is how well it's implemented. Are there errors in which zone goes dim, or doesn't go dim? Would I be able to see the different zones as I watch TV or a Blu-ray? Between these 2 models, which would have the darkest blacks? I currently have an LG 47LS4500, which is a 2012 model I believe. The blacks are awful, with lots of clouding. Deep blacks are almost blue, regardless of calibration.

My goal is to have dark blacks, no clouding, and good contrast. These 2 models are in my price range, and both seem to work great (except for the reviews on Best Buy that say the Vizio shuts itself off or takes over a minute to boot).
sgtdisturbed47 is offline  
post #6491 of 6506 Old 01-27-2015, 03:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone!
So it's time to get a fine 3D TV for my upcoming home theater.
1. Budget is about 1000$, May vary if needed. I am looking for the sweet spot of price/performance ratio-I don't have any extra cash to spend.
2. Seating distance is about 2.5 Meters.
3. Size/placement limitations: Is it possible to get a great TV with a width of 90cm? If not max 1 meter, Preferably 90cm since i need to place a table in the room, And it'll determine its size.
4. Uses and sources: Well, I am not quite sure what my setup will be like, But any suggestions from you great people will be appreciated: I plan on having a cheap HTPC becuase i understand that smart TVs are not that great. I'll connect the PC straight to the TV becuase i think my receiver doesn't support 3D bitstreaming (Yamaha RX-V565), And then the TV will output sound to the receiver. The receiver will output sound to a 5.1 system. The main use will be movies-I want the most immersive theater-like experience. I would really want the TV to be 3D and of the best quality, But the price should not be high again. BTW i live in Israel so not all of the TVs are available. I may also play games on this TV (Connect it to XBOX or something, Not quite sure now)
5. Room lighting: Well, There is a big window in front of the screen, And i also really hate reflective screens. It should not reflect like a mirror.

Thank you everyone!
Cheers
GustavMahler is offline  
post #6492 of 6506 Old 01-27-2015, 07:24 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Stupid question. I'm upgrading from a 32lE5300 lg and am thinking of going with the 48H6350 Samsung. It says that the width is 42 inches. Does that mean bottom left to right past the bevel is 42 and bottom left to top right is 48inches? I wanna make sure it will fit where I want it and I only have a couple inches to spare. Putting it in a 44 inch hole. Also heard the 48 inch should have a Samsung panel instead of a third party one. Thanks.
Libram is offline  
post #6493 of 6506 Old 01-27-2015, 08:06 PM
Newbie
 
TheHotHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a 40" Samsung LN-T4053H (circa 2007) and I'd like to upgrade to a 55". The picture's still good (although I do sometimes think that I'm starting to see some grayish bars in dark scenes), but want something bigger.

I generally sit at about a 45 degree angle and 7 -10 feet from the TV and am looking for something with a crisp display at that viewing angle. I've read so many reviews and really can't make my mind up. Would the Samsung UN55HU7250, H6350 or Vizio M series be good candidates? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.
TheHotHit is offline  
post #6494 of 6506 Old 01-27-2015, 08:54 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Opinions Regarding Vizio P Series 4k 70" vs Samsung 65hu8000 4k series

Both are around 2 thousand at the moment. I will be watching from around 13 feet. Appreciate any and all feedback Thanks!
delvarela is offline  
post #6495 of 6506 Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM
Member
 
drock2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
From what I've read Sammy 9000 is quite a bit better P.Q. wise than the 7xxx and 8xxx Sammy LCD's
OTOH the 7100 /8550 are supposed to be pretty decent
You can notice a pq bump between the 7 and 8 series. CNET rated the 8 series one of the best 4k sets they have tested.
drock2k1 is offline  
post #6496 of 6506 Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 3,471
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotHit View Post

I generally sit at about a 45 degree angle and 7 -10 feet from the TV and am looking for something with a crisp display at that viewing angle. I've read so many reviews and really can't make my mind up. Would the Samsung UN55HU7250, H6350 or Vizio M series be good candidates? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.
TBH at 45 degree view angle I would be looking at rearranging things or relocating the TV OR a Plasma, the Samsung 64F850 plasma won the VE shootout last year picture wise against all the TOTL LED right behind the LG OLED they come in 54F8500/60F8500 and ofc 64f8500 brightness is decent in an average light controlled room other than that an IPS panel might help but without local dimming those are a crap shoot .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
tubetwister is offline  
post #6497 of 6506 Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
mark_anderson_u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libram View Post
Stupid question. I'm upgrading from a 32lE5300 lg and am thinking of going with the 48H6350 Samsung. It says that the width is 42 inches. Does that mean bottom left to right past the bevel is 42 and bottom left to top right is 48inches? I wanna make sure it will fit where I want it and I only have a couple inches to spare. Putting it in a 44 inch hole. Also heard the 48 inch should have a Samsung panel instead of a third party one. Thanks.
TV Sizes are always diagonal from one corner of screen to other. This is 48-inch (actually 47.6) diagonal. The physical set width is 42.3 inches (outside left edge to outside right edge)
mark_anderson_u is offline  
post #6498 of 6506 Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM
Newbie
 
TheHotHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
TBH at 45 degree view angle I would be looking at rearranging things or relocating the TV OR a Plasma, the Samsung 64F850 plasma won the VE shootout last year picture wise against all the TOTL LED right behind the LG OLED they come in 54F8500/60F8500 and ofc 64f8500 brightness is decent in an average light controlled room other than that an IPS panel might help but without local dimming those are a crap shoot .
Thank you!
TheHotHit is offline  
post #6499 of 6506 Old Today, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
mark_anderson_u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
TBH at 45 degree view angle I would be looking at rearranging things or relocating the TV OR a Plasma, the Samsung 64F850 plasma won the VE shootout last year picture wise against all the TOTL LED right behind the LG OLED they come in 54F8500/60F8500 and ofc 64f8500 brightness is decent in an average light controlled room other than that an IPS panel might help but without local dimming those are a crap shoot .
or an articulating mount, so you can pivot it toward the seat. I do this. The TV is centered on wall in living room and my chair is in corner (probably 20-degrees), but I pivot the TV towards me when watching. (Would look silly with TV on left side of wall -- plus there's a door there )
mark_anderson_u is offline  
post #6500 of 6506 Old Today, 09:49 AM
Member
 
hldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Near Dallas
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help me replace my 2005 panasonic 50" 720p plasma 50px50u.

The set still works well but i want to upgrade to 60". this set will be in the living room with a open floorplan kitchen directly opposite of the tv. we sit 12-15' from the set so 1080p is the max resolution i need, but would consider 4k if it offered picture improvements other than resolution (dynamic range, black levels, etc). The items of importance for me are:

1 Good Black levels (at least as good as my 2005 unit)
2 reasonable screen reflectivity
3 must be 55" wide max (due to bookcase construction)
4 budget <~$1800

I really havent been impressed with the curved screens due to reflectivity. i know the discontinued samsung plasma PN60F8500 (hate the stand) may be the best choice, but i wanted to investigate lcd/led options. Considering sony w850 series, samsung 7150, visio m.

What lcd unts fit this bill? will any of them be as good picture (blacks, motion) wise as my 10yr old panny?

Thanks,
hldr is offline  
post #6501 of 6506 Old Today, 10:13 AM
Newbie
 
sgtdisturbed47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdisturbed47 View Post
Between the Vizio M502i-b1 and the Samsung UN48H6350, the differences I see, on paper and from seeing a couple reviewa, is 2" size difference, the Vizio is FALD, and the Samsung looks like it has decent blacks as well. My concern about the FALD on such a budget-oriented TV is how well it's implemented. Are there errors in which zone goes dim, or doesn't go dim? Would I be able to see the different zones as I watch TV or a Blu-ray? Between these 2 models, which would have the darkest blacks? I currently have an LG 47LS4500, which is a 2012 model I believe. The blacks are awful, with lots of clouding. Deep blacks are almost blue, regardless of calibration.

My goal is to have dark blacks, no clouding, and good contrast. These 2 models are in my price range, and both seem to work great (except for the reviews on Best Buy that say the Vizio shuts itself off or takes over a minute to boot).
Still curious about these 2
sgtdisturbed47 is offline  
post #6502 of 6506 Old Today, 03:00 PM
Member
 
excitedguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for a 65-70 inch TV. Doesn't need to have 3D or 4k. I don't have a Fry's electronics or Microcenter near me. Would definitely prefer Samsung with a Samsung panel. Here are some choices I narrowed it down to...

Samsung UN65H7150 - Seems to have great picture quality, but I feel kind of stupid paying an extra $500 just to have 3D and a Samsung panel.

Samsung UN65H6350 - This TV seems great, however it has a off-brand panel. Apparently all the 65 inch TV in this series do.

Vizio P702UI-B3 - Not a Samsung TV, it's a Vizio. Great price I can get it for ($1,700) and it's 70 inches, but I heard it doesn't have accurate colors and it's a 4k set. I have heard mixed things about upscaling 1080p to 4k and mostly about it being worse than viewing it on a native 1080p set. Also I heard Vizio has a bad track record with their TV's in the past and have bad reliability.

LG 65LB7100 - Seems like a decent LG set. Good price, passive 3D, low input lag. However I have heard reports of DSE (Dirty Screen Effect) being common in these sets.

Sony KDL70W850B - Lowest input lag, decent picture quality (I believe this uses the same panel as the Samsung UN65H6350). Good price for 70 inch. However, I heard the 70 inch version of this TV has major radial banding issues in 1 out every 3 sets.

So... not sure what to choose or do? Did I miss something else?

Last edited by excitedguy; Today at 03:03 PM.
excitedguy is online now  
post #6503 of 6506 Unread Today, 04:07 PM
Member
 
encendido5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Do you have a Fry's nearby? They have a sale on the 65" 7150 for $1,299!!


http://slickdeals.net/f/7627686-sams...-un65h7150?v=1
encendido5 is online now  
post #6504 of 6506 Unread Today, 04:11 PM
Member
 
gsd102003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Frys has the LG 65LB7100 for $999.
gsd102003 is online now  
post #6505 of 6506 Unread Today, 05:31 PM
Member
 
excitedguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by encendido5 View Post
Do you have a Fry's nearby? They have a sale on the 65" 7150 for $1,299!!


http://slickdeals.net/f/7627686-sams...-un65h7150?v=1

No, as I stated in my previous post. By the way, isn't that sale only for demo/open box sets?
excitedguy is online now  
post #6506 of 6506 Unread Today, 05:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
We're basically going for the same TV. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to wait for the 7150 to drop in price. For the reasons you've already listed I'm not interested in taking a chance on the other TV's. For me, I just want the best picture quality for around $1500, and that seems to mean it will have 3d/extra features I don't care about.
Mr. Fitty is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off