the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 219 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2015, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmscs View Post
OK typical question i guess but help me:

SHARP LC80LE642

OR

SAMSUNG UN75H6300AFXZA

Please advise guys?

The Sharp looked good at my local Costco to me for that size and content playing.

Current Sets:
PN64F8500 Plasma (The Last Great Plasma)
Sony XBR65X900B with BDP-S6200 Blu-Ray Player

Previously Owned:
UN65HU7250 (4k Curved) UN55HU6840 (4K Flat) UN65HU8550 (4K Flat) Vizio P65 (4K Flat) All Returned due to Poor Quality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2015, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Went with Samsung un65hu8550. Overall, I'm very happy with the set and I find 1080p content appears better at 4K than my old 1080p TV (I guess that could be for a number of reasons, though). My daughter watches Disney Junior which is SD, and unfortunately it looks worse at 4K, but she is too young to know the difference or complain. I actually do like some of the Smart features that I didn't think I would use because I was such a chromecast fan, but the Samsung implementation (Netflix/HBO GO/PLEX) is better/easier than going through my phone or tablet. I think the 3D is pretty cool and will use it when I can. My only complaints are some edge light bleeding at the corners on certain scenes, but I figure that probably exists to some extent on all edge-lit TVs and I was forcing myself to look for faults while evaluating the screen.

Everyone says the x850 is an equal or better choice, but I couldn't see a major difference in PQ (except for maybe less edge-light bleeding) and it was more expensive.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmannyc01 View Post
I definitely found info that conflicts with that during my investigations, for one thing some discount online merchants like East Coast TV, Buy Squad, Niceelectronics, Abe’s of Maine, sell UN65H7150s explicitly described as being the AU version, Niceelectronics actually sells BOTH at different prices, charging a premium for the THO version.

https://www.niceelectronics.com/sear...odel=UN65H7150

They all sell these h7150 AUs for quite a bit less than Best Buy, B & H, Crutchfield h7150 prices, though I’ve not found any conclusive way of assuring you’d be getting a THO/UHO from the latter retailers for the extra $ you’ve payed :/

And I found posts in these threads that indicate Samsung does (or did) indeed play the panel lottery game with the h7150 series in all sizes:

Official Samsung UNxxH7150 / UNxxH7100AF Owners Thread

Samsung Panel Version Thread

It seems possible (?) from later posts that Samsung is only using Samsung, Inovonics and Sharp panels now in the h7150 series, perhaps the AU sets retailer’s above are selling are NOS?
If I have to (likely) pay the higher prices, I’m thinking about a 65” Vizio P series now – the ones I saw looked fantastic, much nicer than E/Ms
It looks like the AU version the retailers that aren't authorized resellers of Samsung sell are International versions. They can legally sell these because they are not supported by Samsung. Really makes me think twice about pulling the trigger on one of these discount online retailers.
The Vizio P series is definitely a great line of TV's, but compared to similarly priced TV's it doesn't stand out. The smart TV functions lack a little compared to larger companies like Samsung. No doubt Vizio is the up and comer, so if the price is right, pull the trigger!
Im so sick of trying to find out the legitimacy of retailers such as East coast and Abes of Maine, but honestly its not worth the headache and stress to know what your truly getting.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Going to keep it short and simple! Any response is appreciated.

Samsung 46" h7150 VS Sony W700B.

Worth the extra $200 bucks for the Samsung? Smaller screen, but higher refresh rate, 3D and (better picture quality?)

Thanks again.

KG
Old 02-19-2015, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smart TV Owner's question

I want a non-smart tv in a 60 or 65. The only one's left at this point are Sammies from 2012… with okay, but not fantastic pictures compared to the sets out there these days. (i.e. UN65EH6000)

Can you skip wireless setup on a smart tv? Can you just leave it disconnected? (and subsequently stream through a Roku or PS3, etc?)

Having never owned one, I wasn't sure, and I have been searching for a while now for an answer.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2015, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniogi View Post
Having buyers anxiety and indecision. Please help!

Have a budget of $2500. I sit 11 feet from TV, though that distance might decrease in future after the wife moves furniture around again. We exclusively watch TV and movies (streaming and cable), no gaming at all. I never had a 3d TV so can't say if I would regularly watch it if I had it. Probably won't buy another TV again for another 4-5 years so I'm strongly considering 4k.

Options:
1. Vizio p702ui-b3 for $2000 (new)
2. Samsung un65HU8550. 3 month old display unit from authorized small brick and mortar, supposedly professionally calibrated for $2400 coming with new TV manufacturer warranty.

Both TVs looked similar in the stores to me, but it was hard to compare based on demo modes and available content. I like the Vizio because it's bigger and cheaper. Samsung I like because it supposedly has better picture quality and it is upgradeable via evolution box. 3D is a possible perk, but can't judge since I don't know how often I'll use it. Downside is that the set is more expensive, smaller, and not brand new. ISF calibrated I guess I should list as a benefit too. I wouldn't have professionally calibrated the set otherwise, but just used calibration discs myself.

Sony 65x850b was too expensive.

Thanks for advice!
Where are you still finding the p70 for 2k?
Old 02-20-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drock2k1 View Post
Where are you still finding the p70 for 2k?
Microcenter. They have a retail stores scattered throughout the country. According to the salesmen they are an authorized reseller so the manufacturer warranty should hold up (although, I would verify that). Might be able to get BB to price match, my local one would...
Old 02-20-2015, 10:17 AM

I'm looking for a 40" TV, doesn't need to have any smart features as I'll deal with that separately. Budget is $300-$350, and the only limitation is that the current stand is 36" wide. That said, I'm considering:
  1. Vizio E390-B0
  2. JVC EM40NF5 - can't find any info on this one apart from a couple of reviews at Costco.
Really curious about that JVC.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What are the best lcd/led flat 1080p tv's available right now?
Pookerman likes this.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm looking for a new 55" tv with a $1000-$1300 budget. Right now the top contenders are:

1080p

Sony KDL55W800B
Panasonic TC-55AS680U
Samsung UN55H6400AFXZA
LG 55LB7200

Vizio P552UI-B2
LG 55UB8200
Samsung UN55HU6950FXZA

The TV will be mounted at standing eye level in a fairly bright room, or a least a room that isn't particularly dark. Seating ranges from 8-10 feet from the screen.

Cost up to $1300 is a none issue, I feel exactly the same about spending $900 as I do about $1300 for this purchase.

Basically, other than saving a few hundred dollars is there any compelling reason to get one of the 1080p televisions? If they offer a better picture, aside from resolution, they would be perfectly fine.

Most of the reviews I've read seem to place them all about equally.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I was in this same boat a few months ago. I bought the Vizio 4k, but had 2 of them just up-and-die on me in just a few weeks. So I decided to up my budget (thinking I was "getting what I paid for") and I bought the PanasonicAX800 (won numerous "4k of the year" 2014 awards). It's a fabulous picture, etc, but has some major banding issues –problems you simply don't see on any current 1080 set– and I'm learning that most of the other 4Ks have these issues, as bad or even worse, unless you're willing to spend over 3k.

Personally I'm (reluctantly) returning this one, and sticking with a 1080 set for the time being. Maybe even a plasma.

FWIW

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre08 View Post
I'm looking for a new 55" tv with a $1000-$1300 budget. Right now the top contenders are:

1080p

Sony KDL55W800B
Panasonic TC-55AS680U
Samsung UN55H6400AFXZA
LG 55LB7200

Vizio P552UI-B2
LG 55UB8200
Samsung UN55HU6950FXZA

The TV will be mounted at standing eye level in a fairly bright room, or a least a room that isn't particularly dark. Seating ranges from 8-10 feet from the screen.

Cost up to $1300 is a none issue, I feel exactly the same about spending $900 as I do about $1300 for this purchase.

Basically, other than saving a few hundred dollars is there any compelling reason to get one of the 1080p televisions? If they offer a better picture, aside from resolution, they would be perfectly fine.

Most of the reviews I've read seem to place them all about equally.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:38 PM

Is the banding specific too, or at least more prevalent on the larger screens? Also, I'm curious about your experience with the Vizio. From what I've read about banding it was more or less specific to edge-lit screens, as opposed to the full array LEDs on the Vizio.

Thank you sincerely for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookerman View Post
I was in this same boat a few months ago. I bought the Vizio 4k, but had 2 of them just up-and-die on me in just a few weeks. So I decided to up my budget (thinking I was "getting what I paid for") and I bought the PanasonicAX800 (won numerous "4k of the year" 2014 awards). It's a fabulous picture, etc, but has some major banding issues –problems you simply don't see on any current 1080 set– and I'm learning that most of the other 4Ks have these issues, as bad or even worse, unless you're willing to spend over 3k.

Personally I'm (reluctantly) returning this one, and sticking with a 1080 set for the time being. Maybe even a plasma.

FWIW
Old 02-22-2015, 12:18 PM

My experience with the Vizios were that they broke, quickly, and their customer service had severe attitude. Thank goodness for BestBuy's return policy. This aligns with many of the (horror) stories on this site. And I'll never buy another Vizio product again.

In terms of the "zone" thing the Vizios currently have, it was very clunky IMHO. While my Vizio 4k didn't have "banding" or random "hot spots" it was fairly even overall, but the blooming that occurs in the zones is often very unnatural and very noticeable.

Per the AX800 I did quite a bit of research before I got mine, and while i knew it was a bit of a "lottery" most seemed convinced that the banding/hotspots were more common on the larger screens. But it was very pronounced on my 58". Shame.

Which is worse? The "zone bloom" or the "banding"? They both kinda stink. The banding is less noticeable during normal watching (usually), and the "zone bloom" is more uniform. So it's easier to get used to.

Does that help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre08 View Post
Is the banding specific too, or at least more prevalent on the larger screens? Also, I'm curious about your experience with the Vizio. From what I've read about banding it was more or less specific to edge-lit screens, as opposed to the full array LEDs on the Vizio.

Thank you sincerely for your reply

Last edited by Pookerman; 02-22-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:45 PM

Basement home theater

So I'm building out my basement, I was looking at a Samsung UNH6350 75" TV. No windows, 12' viewing distance. I was opting for a non 3D, non 4k due to lack of programming. Budget is about $2500.

Any suggestions on the best fit? I was set on the Samsung until I saw a CNET review saying the picture quality was mediocre.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:52 PM

So after more and more searching I'm not convinced that I can get a 55-inch 1080p at Best Buy that is markedly better than available 55-inch 4K TVs for under $1300

That being considered my 2 best options look like:

LG 55UB8200
Vizio P552UI-B2

There are also 2 Samsung TVs in the price range, the HU6830FXZA and the HU6950FXZA, which appear to both be 60hz

Anything else I should know or consider about these two? Right now I'm leaning toward the LG because I've heard the Vizio's quality can be hit or miss.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:06 PM

I'm looking for a tv with the best picture quality. As it stands right now I have it narrowed down to the Sony 65 900b and the Samsung 65 8550. Please enlighten me if i am wrong. I am going to pull the trigger on the sony soon. Is this the wrong decision and why?
Old 02-22-2015, 09:48 PM

Howdy, I am in the market for a 4k TV. I am willing to spend up to $1300 although my wife kinda fell in love with the Sony's.

TV is mounted above a fireplace
Viewing distance is 7-10 ft.
Mostly just TV broadcasts and movies. Also watch plenty of football.
Medium light room but most watch at night in a dimly lit room.
55" I think is the sweet spot we want to stay around.

We went to a local BB and saw the Samsung uh6830 on sale for $999. Also looked at the 6950. But then the wife saw the Sony's and kinda likes the 800b and the 850b. But that is getting expensive. I'm not set at 1300 but want to make a good decision. We seem to hold on to our TV for a good while. We are using a 42" plasma from 2005 currently. It doesnt even have an HDMI port.
If it is definatly worth the money I'd be open to up to 1800 but don't just want to throw money around.

Thanks for any input.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Viewing distance question

Hi all!

I am looking to upgrade from my current 42" set to something bigger.

My farthest viewing distance will be 9' straight back. However to the right of the set (I'd say approximately at a 30-45 degree angle) would be around 5' away.

I would prefer to go 55" if possible, but I'm thinking the shortest viewing distance is going to be a problem.

Primary source is an HD antenna at a max resolution of 1080i. Content spans the gammut (480i - 1080p) with all sources.

Wondering if 50" is a safer bet.

Thinking of Sony or Samsung 1080p set for what it is worth.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2015, 07:25 PM

Feeling overwhelmed, any help clarifying some things?

Hello AVS members. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am feeling a little overwhelmed and not quite sure what to pull the trigger on. Here's some info I hope helps.
1. $500 give or take some
2. 14' (feet) possibly slightly less
3. No major limitation on size. As for placement, the tv will only be able to go into one corner more than likely.
4. Most used for Netflix, BluRay, Apple TV/Small movie file play back (.mp4), some PS4 gaming & possibly some sports.
5. Decently well sunlit, but no direct sunlight into the main large windows, or directly on TV.

I've gone to Target (and plan on going to Best Buy tonight) and have stood about 14' away, and a 40"-42" seems to be really on the outside size of barely being acceptable for my wife and I at such a distance. 48"-50" while to me is still small (I've owned a 60" before), they are large enough that we would be happy with it.

Ideally I'd like a 55"-60" and 3D, but I realize for the price range that something has to give.

If I have to pick what is most/more important 1. Price 2. Screen Size. 2A.Picture Quality. 3. 3D 4. Reliability (is a refurb or second hand a good idea? I've read hard no when concerning plasmas.) 5. Smart features/Everything else.

Some TVs I've been looking at, and seem to be roughly within my price range.

Sharp Aquos 48" LC-48LE551U
LG 65" 65LB5200
LG 60" 60LB5200
LG 60" 60PB5600
LG 60" 60PB6650
LG 50" LGLB5900
Vizio M series 49", 50", 55" & 60"
Vizio D & E series but so far I'm not as excited from what I've seen in store
Samsung 48" UN48H6350
LG 55" LB5900

As well as a few others, but as you can see with the list above, I am feeling overwhelmed and I keep second guessing myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Am I over thinking things? Are there things I am not taking into consideration like refresh rate, or something else entirely? Is there going to be a big difference overall with picture quality between these TVs anyway? Are other factors going to be more important?
Old 02-25-2015, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
i have owned several Vizio's and have never had any issues with them. you may just have some bad luck with them or maybe you are looking for that "perfect" tv. i currently have a 50 inch 4K vizio and also an older 55 inch LED and both work great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookerman View Post
My experience with the Vizios were that they broke, quickly, and their customer service had severe attitude. Thank goodness for BestBuy's return policy. This aligns with many of the (horror) stories on this site. And I'll never buy another Vizio product again.

In terms of the "zone" thing the Vizios currently have, it was very clunky IMHO. While my Vizio 4k didn't have "banding" or random "hot spots" it was fairly even overall, but the blooming that occurs in the zones is often very unnatural and very noticeable.

Per the AX800 I did quite a bit of research before I got mine, and while i knew it was a bit of a "lottery" most seemed convinced that the banding/hotspots were more common on the larger screens. But it was very pronounced on my 58". Shame.

Which is worse? The "zone bloom" or the "banding"? They both kinda stink. The banding is less noticeable during normal watching (usually), and the "zone bloom" is more uniform. So it's easier to get used to.

Does that help?

Old 02-25-2015, 11:42 PM

Vizos are all around good, just for the love of god don't buy Best Buy's in house brand!
Old 02-26-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbigg21 View Post
i have owned several Vizio's and have never had any issues with them. you may just have some bad luck with them or maybe you are looking for that "perfect" tv. i currently have a 50 inch 4K vizio and also an older 55 inch LED and both work great.
I' may indeed have been bad luck, but 2 "bad boards" on 2 brand new "state of the art" TVs right in a row doesn't sing quality to me. And having read this, and other sites, it's not only uncommon, but sadly common. That's not acceptable.

I'm also certainly not searching for a "perfect" TV. That's a bit silly. We are all well aware of the color deficiencies of Vizios, the input limitations, etc, etc, and for the low prices they sell for, and I was willing to accept a lot of that. What I was NOT willing to accept were 2 brand new TVs that simply stopped turning on, and a company that seemed to not care at all.

That said, I'm glad you got a good one. I really am. A lot of this is a "lottery" for any brand.

There is no perfect company. There are price points, and give-and-take at those price points. The previous poster asked about my experience with the Vizios, and the more-expensive Panny. Both were "busts" but for different reasons, as I explained above.

One other big differentiator, for me, was the customer service. The several Vizio reps I talked to all had an "attitude" and tried to make it seem like it was my problem that their TVs died because "they only use the highest quality parts" (the repeated that over and over, as if getting ready for a court case). Panny was pretty darn helpful, and patiently offered me several solves. Although they didn't work, there was a market difference in the "classiness" of the customer service.

Cheers.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Helping a friend about to move and needs a new TV. I am not up to date on LCDs so figured I would ask people who are =) He doesn't have the measurements yet (moves in 2 weeks), but a general idea of what size he wants.

He has looked at these models so far, so opinions are welcome on these or suggestions of a better fit than these models.

Samsung UN48H6350 48-Inch 1080p 120Hz Smart LED TV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I94IR8G..._ffr7ub0Z30CT7

LG Electronics 47LB5900 47-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED TV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KVLT0HM..._5fr7ub1XN74KX

VIZIO E550i-B2 55-Inch 1080p Smart LED HDTV (2014 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GKKI4JI..._hhr7ub0JN33VM

VIZIO M552i-B2 55-Inch 1080p Smart LED TV http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M552i-B2...sr_1_1?ie=UTF8

1. Budget - $500 - 600
2. Seating distance - not sure yet
3. Size/placement limitations - looking between 50 or 55
4. Uses and sources - general family room use, cable box, blu ray
5. Room lighting - lit family room
Old 02-26-2015, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Samsung UN75HU8550 vs LG 79UB9800 Buying Soon-Need Advice!
Hey all, getting a really good price on these (literally a $50 difference) and was hoping for some help making a decision. I like 'em both and would buy the LG right now, but I HATE, HATE, HATE, those attached, non-removable speakers. It just takes away from the clean lines of the TV. (I currently have deftech mythos 10's all around). That being said, I like the extra real estate, even if it's just 4 inches.

Not planning to wait around for the new stuff as it will be significantly out of my price range for the size I want. (75 to 80 inches is what I'm looking for)

Would love to hear your thoughts on the matter, pro and con for either.
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM

Question Sony KD49X8505 VS Samsung UE48HU7500

Hi people,
I'm going to buy one of the following TVs, which should I choose? Sony KD49X8505 or Samsung UE48HU7500?

One of the big plus of the Samsung TV is the possibility to upgrade it with the UHD Evolution Kit and on some reviews I've seen that Sony TV lacks a bit of contrast and they suggest the Samsung model. Can you give me a suggestion?

BTW, my requirements are: 2m viewing distance, good TV to play with my PS4 and play BluRays (it should support also 4K blurays), reproduce MKVs from USB drives (although at least the sony TV can't reproduce 4K MKVs), dual PVR (to record a channel while viewing other channels), possibility to reproduce images ad web-videos from the phones/PC/ipads I own.

Thank you very much for any help!
Old Today, 10:13 PM

thanks for the thread!

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects