the "help me choose an LCD" thread - Page 222 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #6631 of 6649 Old 04-09-2015, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My advice, unless you're an extreme videophile who notices every little detail of a picture, don't sweat all the different specs about the tv. If you're just a casual viewer who can relax and just watch your show, you won't know the difference anyway. You really can't go wrong with most modern tv's anyway, they're all mostly capable of producing a good picture. Just get the biggest one you can afford that fits your space and doesn't overpower the room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6632 of 6649 Old 04-09-2015, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey, needing help with deciding on a tv. The tv would mainly be used for movies, tv shows/sports and gaming. I don't really play a whole lot of FPS games on console except a few and its more casual than anything else. I do play fighting games however but I am not sure if input lag is a huge deal for that.
I've come to the conclusion that two of the best tv for picture quality and input lag would be the Samsung UN60H7150 or the Sony KDL60W850B. Picture quality is a big deal to me more than missing a single frame or two. I do like smooth picture quality though. My buget is around $1,300 and I do like 60" for my place but can deal with 55" Open to suggestions

I was going to order the Samsung UN60H7150
From Dell which is $1,300 but includes a $300 gift card which I was going to use towards a nice 4k monitor.

Unfortunately no deals are going for it at this time. Not sure if Sony stuff gets discounted often with Dell either with giftcards ( which I was going to use towards a nice 4k monitor. )

LASTLY I had bought a Vizio P series before but returned it due to various problems and I still have the 5.1 Surround Set I bought for it. Which is the VIZIO S4251w-B4 5.1 Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer and Satellite Speakers set

Will I be able to play that into either of these tvs and get true 5.1? I really have no clue about audio stuff. One would work better than the other? I can always try to get rid of this sound system and sell it later.
Thanks for the help. Sorry can't post links to make this easier.
post #6633 of 6649 Old 04-09-2015, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I am looking for recommendations for a 65" 4K LCD.

I sit 9.5 to 10 feet back, and about 1.5 to 1.66 feet to the right of the right edge of the TV.

I had a Vizio P 70. I returned it due to very poor viewing angles. I also had a LG UF8500. The viewing angles were very good. However, the picture quality of dark scenes was not good. This seems to be common with IPS panels. I returned it due to a stuck white pixel and light bleed in the corners. The dark scenes may have been better if the light bleed were not so distracting.

So now I am thinking about a Samsung JU7100 or JS8500. I am aware that they use VA panels, as the Vizio P Series does. I am unsure if the panels that Samsung uses have more acceptable viewing angles.

Thoughts?
post #6634 of 6649 Old 04-10-2015, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
At 6ft away, wanting a 70" TV, I'm pretty much an idiot to not get 4k at this point, right?
AuralFission likes this.
post #6635 of 6649 Old 04-11-2015, 10:50 AM

Heard this was the place to get advise on a new TV. I'm replacing a Westinghouse I got back in 2009 as a gift, so pretty much any newer TV will be an upgrade.

1. Budget - Up to $1000

2. Seating distance - 8 feet

3. Size/placement limitations - none

4. Uses and sources - PS4, PS3, and watching sports

5. Room lighting - Den area that gets minimal lighting even during the day. Typically I usually just have on a regular lamp when I'm in the room.
post #6636 of 6649 Old 04-14-2015, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Question Quantum Dot options

I am going to soon make the plunge into a quantum dot TV.
I wil have a 9.2 surround system and I assume it will be easy to hook it into the AVR, but that means speakers are not an issue.
I will have a DirecTV genie system and an oppo 103 blu-ray player and a Harmony remote. It is not clear if all these will play well with each other.
Suggestions?
post #6637 of 6649 Old 04-15-2015, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
For a 4k monitor/TV, should I go with a 40" Philips monitor that has around 24ms lag or a 55" Samsung JU6500 which has a display lag of 48ms in PC mode and 26 in game mode (not sure if you can get 4:4:4 60 hz 4k in game mode)? I've never had a big monitor before, so I'm wondering if it'll be good for gaming and shows (and it'd be noce to know the ideal size for 4k). I'm looking to do PC and console gaming, so I'd probably want 4 hdmi ports which the Samsung has. With monitors, can you use an hdmi switch to add more to the 2 available with the Philips?

Last edited by KuffarisMaximus; 04-15-2015 at 11:35 PM.
post #6638 of 6649 Old 04-16-2015, 10:05 AM

Liked: 2
I need help choosing a set. I need to buy one next week. I have read everything here (well it feels like everything) and I am just getting more confused.

Viewing distance 13 feet, BD/DVD mostly. I have room for any size and can wall mount and tilt down. Patio doors directly behind seating area and drapes are not black out.

Budget under $2500, but would be happier at $800 if generally reliable set and 90% of PQ.

65 in is minimum, smart TV not really important.

Visio 4k P70 at $2000 is front runner, or the new 4k M70 for a couple hundred more or the 2014 M70 for $1500. Costco for these as I like their cheap warranty. Conflicting views on reliability on Visio but they are highly rated on Costco site.

On the low end would be the 65" from BB (Insignia seems to be well liked), no warranty, just take a chance on a cheap set. Use the extra cash to buy an OPPO 103D and upgrade my SUB.

I don't need the best picture quality but do want reliability. I realize my two choices are seemingly very different but I am more interested in value than having the best available. I'm replacing an older projector and a 32" Seiki so anything will be an improvement.

I am leaning toward going in to Costco next week and just picking one. Suggestions are welcome as I am pretty confused.

Pioneer SC-81
BluRay Panasonic BD85
Vizio P702
7.1 - Klipsch KG5.2, SC1 center, KSB2.1 bookshelf SB, Acoustech sides
JBL E250P Subwoofer
post #6639 of 6649 Old 04-16-2015, 11:49 AM

Hi,

Ok new here and have been scanning through some the threads and see that there is a wealth of information here. But not sure much of that helps me since I really have no ideal what I want.

Bascially I am now apparently forced to look at buying a new TV to replace my (disposable) Panasonic 65PZ850U (65" plasma) - and yes, I am really bent out of shape over this since I got the dreaded black bar in the picture and it is not repairable. What REALLY bothers me about this whole thing is that some engineer decided it was a good idea to build the panel driver chips into the panels ribbon cables which makes replacing them (the drivers) impossible, hence the TV is now a scrap. Anyone with an electronics back ground knows that usually when there is a failure it is a drive or power IC/transistor that usually goes bad. Anyways, enough with the venting.

Now, what is the "deal" with these curved displays? Am I missing something as I don't seem to get it? That is to say what is the advantage of this?

That being said, looking at replacement set that is at least comparable in picture quality as my plasma is - 4k I support would be nice (don't care about "smart" functions). I heard that Samsung models 7000+ are where I should be looking in terms of picture and build quality - does this sound reasonable? I think OLED is off the shelf with it's "color problems".

Thanks in advance
post #6640 of 6649 Old 04-19-2015, 03:41 PM

Long time browser, first time poster here. My old Samsung 50" DLP died a few weeks ago, so I'm in the market for a new TV. Went to Best Buy the other day to see some models in person, just to see what I liked. Love the immersion effect of the Samsung Curved TVs, as did my girlfriend. So here I am...been doing research all weekend and honestly torn on a couple models. I don't have a strict budget, but I'd like to keep it under $2,500, must less is appreciated if I wouldn't see that much of a difference.

The TV will be in my basement. Leaning towards a 65" model since it's the max of my price range it appears. Would consider a 55" possibly. Will mostly use it for Cable (Sports), Blu-Ray movies, Netflix, Streaming from my PC. Found the UN65HU7250 for $2,000 on Amazon but have read mixed reviews. Couldn't tell whether it had HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 or 4k @ 60hz? Any suggestion from you guys on what I should purchase? I'm more of a novice when it comes to television so I don't need the very best.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jordan
post #6641 of 6649 Old 04-20-2015, 07:58 AM

Hi all, I have a conundrum I need help with. I have an illness that makes me easily motion sick. I can't sit too close to a theater screen, big screen tv's make me sick, motion blur and blurry pics bother me. Therefore, I have a 20 year old big square tank TV that has a 27" screen. It would equal a smaller widescreen diagonal. I'm getting to the point though, that I want a smart tv with up to date connections. Composite-only just doesn't cut it anymore with Rokus and Apple tv, etc. Plus my poor hubs wants a nice tv so badly.

So here is my problem. The salespeople tell me that 240hz would be best for me because there's not as much blur with motion, which I need and which hubs wants because he watches NASCAR and sports. But I can only find 50" screens and up with 240hz. I had been looking at the Samsung 4k's for quite some time, and I realize 4k is still not standard, and I have seen the (disappointing) hd cable output on the screens, so I know where I am going with that. Problem is that 50 incher kind of makes me sick. I am going to be sitting 8-10 feet away from the screen. I REALLY like the samsung 4k's but I am wondering if a 40" wouldn't be better for my issue. There seem to be no 4k, smart, 240hz, 40 inch screens. That I can find anyway.

Anyone have some advice for me? Any recommended TV's to look at before I give up and just buy a bigger screen and hope to get used to it? There is a 4k Samsung that is 40" but the salespeople tell me it will be blurry and not as sharp as the higher end H/J 8550's because it's technology is not as geared toward that. The 40" isn't on display so I can't see the playback We don't have anyplace else to view.

Thanks,
Gina
post #6642 of 6649 Old 04-23-2015, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So...looking for a replacement to my Samsung UN55B8500 that met an untimely demise at the hands of an enthusiastically thrown phone (not at the TV, but at the couch directly across from the tv, yet about 10 feet away, how it ricocheted that far I will never know). That being said, I loved the local dimming on the 8500 and am not in the mood to go with anything that has significantly fewer dimming zones. I was thinking about just buying a used 8500 and keeping the old one for parts, as the only issue is the screen and I never had any of the issues that apparently lots of people have experienced with them. (clicking, light bleed, etc)

All that being said, I was thinking about biting the bullet and going 4K, but the more I research the more I see a lot of edge lit or local dimming zones in the 2 digits (I believe the 8500 had around 216?). So, I'd like to find something that has the picture quality, the support, no bleeding, preferably as many dimming zones as possible or another technology that performs as admirably, and more I'm sure I'll think of later.

1. Sub $4K
2. 6-10 feet
3. 55" wide at most, this will probably limit me to 60" sets and maybe a few 65" sets with narrow bezels.
4. Everything, gaming from an XBOX One, streaming from Netflix, watching DirecTV, occasionally hooking up my laptop to play movies. I have a Harmon Kardon receiver with HDMI out, but I haven't checked to see if it can handle 4K or not.
5. Large windows with dark curtains that keep out most of the light, but there is a significant amount of ambient lighting from other windows in other rooms. I'd say it'd be dim, but not dark, if the lights are out, curtains are closed and it's a bright day.

I was initially looking at the Vizio M Series as CNET had some nice things to say, but found that the max zones was around 32 for the size I was looking at. I then heard about the Reference Series, but I'm looking at purchasing within the next month or two, with some wiggle room if something awesome is coming out a couple weeks beyond that, and it sounded like the Reference Series was kinda up in the air, plus possibly beyond my budget.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read and let me know if you have any other questions.
post #6643 of 6649 Old 04-25-2015, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
lcd upscaling

Hi,
does the processor of a 4k tv doing the upscaling also help with taking SD content to HD? Big day at the house, the 36" RCA finally gave up the ghost, but we still watch Columbo a lot. trying to figure out what will play SD on a 50" OK. thanks...
post #6644 of 6649 Old 04-26-2015, 10:37 AM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by joforg View Post
Hi,
does the processor of a 4k tv doing the upscaling also help with taking SD content to HD? Big day at the house, the 36" RCA finally gave up the ghost, but we still watch Columbo a lot. trying to figure out what will play SD on a 50" OK. thanks...
I'm going to say yes, but I am not an expert by any means. I got a Vizio P70 last week and am simply amazed at the picture quality from all levels of input. The upscale is impressive.

Pioneer SC-81
BluRay Panasonic BD85
Vizio P702
7.1 - Klipsch KG5.2, SC1 center, KSB2.1 bookshelf SB, Acoustech sides
JBL E250P Subwoofer
post #6645 of 6649 Old 04-28-2015, 05:38 PM

Help me with a TV for conference room

SIZE: MUST BE 70" or larger

BUDGET: $2000ish (might be able squeeze to $2500 for the right TV)

APPLICATION: Webinars, guest laptop presentations, training, etc.

ROOM LIGHTING: Bright! We are sick of turning off the lights for projectors.

VIEWING DISTANCE: 5-15'

FEATURES: Nothing special needed. PC (laptop) friendly. 4:4:4 chroma would be nice but not required. Vesa mount on wall friendly. More worried about panel quality and text visibility than anything else.

RES: 1080p is fine.

Thanks!

Last edited by hardware_failure; 04-28-2015 at 05:42 PM.
post #6646 of 6649 Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Buy Samsung UN50H6350 or Wait for 2015 model

I'm looking to purchase a new TV and have zeroed in on the UN50H6350. I see nothing but overwhelmingly positive reviews for this TV and the price is right. My major issue is do I purchase the 2015 model?? If so what model number is it? It seems the 2015 models have "J" in their code. I also seem to be reading about non-samsung panel issues with the 2015 models.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #6647 of 6649 Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

First off let me say I am a long time reader, but new to posting on this site. I am in the market for a new tv. I am looking for something around 60 inches and do not want to spend more than $1500. I have been looking at 4k tavs and I understand there is very limited (next to none) content, but I am still very interested in them. I will be using this tv mostly for movies (blu rays and netflix) and video games (PS4 and Xbox One).

So far I have been looking at the VIZIO M60-C3 60 and the Sony 55 inch XBR 850b. Are there any other suggestions for 4k tavs that I should be looking at? I have a little bit of flexibility on my price range.

Thank in advance for any suggestions!

-Jon
post #6648 of 6649 Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rosenau View Post
Hi,

First off let me say I am a long time reader, but new to posting on this site. I am in the market for a new tv. I am looking for something around 60 inches and do not want to spend more than $1500. I have been looking at 4k tavs and I understand there is very limited (next to none) content, but I am still very interested in them. I will be using this tv mostly for movies (blu rays and netflix) and video games (PS4 and Xbox One).

So far I have been looking at the VIZIO M60-C3 60 and the Sony 55 inch XBR 850b. Are there any other suggestions for 4k tavs that I should be looking at? I have a little bit of flexibility on my price range.

Thank in advance for any suggestions!

-Jon
IMO, the X850B is an excellent value at the prices they are selling at now in preparation for the release of the new models in the next week or two. I just picked up a 55X850B for my son and it has exceeded my expectations. My only complaints would be around black levels and some uniformity issues.

In the price you are at there are going to be tradeoffs, if you can see them side by side, I would recommend that.

I am holding off on committing to the 2015 Vizio m-series until there are more reports of real world performance. Vizio is upgrading their M-line fairly substantially.
post #6649 of 6649 Old Today, 04:39 AM

Need a treadmill TV/Blu/External HDD w/ Headphone solution!

I've been driving myself nuts trying to find what I need for this project. I need a not-too-large TV that I'll wall mount in front of my treadmill. Here's what I need, any help would be most appreciated!

1. 24-28" TV (No wall space for anything larger), 720P would be fine, 1080P preferable.

2. TV must have a standard headphone jack - I use cheap Sennheiser headphones, standard RCA plug. Only ones that don't squash my head! I'd like one with a native headphone jack - I don't want to run a converter through the digital audio.

3. Want to hook up a Blu-Ray/DVD player via HDMI. Have a small shelf by treadmill, will fit most any smallish model.

4. Want external HDD playback, either via the TV or Blu-Ray player. I have MP4 videos on USB thumb drives/hard drives I want to watch, may want to listen to MP3s also.

5. Would love to have same brands of both so I could use one remote, but not a deal-killer if I can't.

That's really all I want. I don't particularly care if it's a Smart TV, I don't stream videos/music from anything, and I'm not interested in doing so. I want to load it all from the TV/Blu-ray player.

Price not a concern - I'll pay extra if it does what I want it to do.

Any help/advice is appreciated!!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Lg 55lh40 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba , Cables Interconnects
Gear in this thread